chapter 3

Behind the Scenes

 

 

Minho wasted no time, he worked on the script as promised and changed it along with the writers and the director until it matched Taemin’s version. Now as he held the new script in his hands he dialed his number excitedly.

“Can we meet?” he asked at the moment Taemin’s voice filled the line.  

“I’m sorry, I’m still at the clinic” the young man apologized tiredly “can we meet some other time?”

Though Minho agreed, he drove toward Taemin’s clinic at the moment they hung up.

The secretary wasn’t at the reception when he arrived and the treatment room had its door close, he heard a dental handpiece drilling and voice of a woman telling her whimpering son he’s very brave.

Taking a seat at the waiting area he waited patiently for 20 long minutes, while waiting, he flipped the script’s pages trying to guess Taemin’s reaction when he’ll see it, when the treatment room door finally opened a little child walked out along with his mother.

“Thank you so much, Dr. Lee” the mother said

Taemin who followed them out smiled politely “Please call my secretary tomorrow, she’ll set another appointment for you”

She nodded and thanked him once again before they left.

Turning back to the treatment room, Taemin noticed the actor “what are you doing here?” he asked surprised.

Minho got to his feet and got closer to him “I know-” his words stuck on his tongue when he saw that Taemin’s uniforms had blood on it “what happened?” he said pointing at it.

Taemin looked down at his uniforms and sighed “poor kid, fell off of his bike. It actually looks worse than it really was”

“Oh…”

“You were saying…?”

Big smile crossed Minho’s lips as he raised the script in his hands “I know we said we’ll meet some other time but I just couldn’t wait”

Taemin blinked once, twice, his eyes focused on the title, small smile crossed his lips when the word ‘script’ left his mouth and it was the most beautiful thing Minho ever saw.

“If you’ll approve this version, we could start the shootings” he said and handed Taemin the script, the young man looked deeply into his eyes as he thanked him, making his heart skip a beat.




 

Three sleepless nights went by before Taemin turned the last page of the script, it still had few changes but the storyline finally matched Jongin’s real life.

Minho was thrilled when he received a call from the young man, eager to work on his character, he asked to meet him as soon as possible, Taemin kept his promise just like the actor did and gave him his address, he felt it might be easier to tell a stranger about his late husband in his own house, his safe zone.

The traditional house was a strange view at the modern neighborhood, Minho eyed the place, appreciated it modesty as he walked through the gate, he knocked on the big wooden door and waited for an answer.

Taemin’s small steps echoed around before he opened and let him in, seeing him in jeans and t-shirt made Minho’s stomach squeeze, the boyish look suited him better.  

Taemin greeted the actor as he closed the door behind him.

Like it outside, the inside of the house was modest, it made Minho wonder who’s personality it reflected “nice place”

“Thanks. Jongin always wanted a traditional house” Taemin said as they made their way into the living room “something to drink?”

“A soda would be nice”

The young man nodded and gestured with his hand for the actor to get comfortable before he disappeared in the kitchen.

Minho placed his car key and the script he held on the coffee table, while waiting he walked around the room, it had soothing colors and beautiful pictures of nature on the walls, underneath his feet there was a soft carpet and the big couch looked comfy, but as beautiful as it was, it felt cold and lonely, like the death of it owner left it mark.

One framed picture by the TV caught his attention, Kai and Taemin, the young man had his arms crossed around his late husband’s waist, they looked at each other with loving eyes and big smiles on their faces, oblivious to the camera, deep inside he envied the love they had.

“I love this picture” Taemin’s voice made Minho turn, he walked into the living room holding a tray in his hands, placing it on the table he got closer to him “we were in a party, it was right after Jongin’s first movie came out, his manager wanted to celebrate it success”

Minho placed the picture back in its place before they both took a seat on the couch.

Taemin eyed the actor as he took the script in his hands and placed it on his lap, it had many notes attached, it reminded him the way Jongin used to work on his scripts.

“I don’t even know where to start” Minho chuckled as he flipped through the pages.

Hesitating, the young man reached his hand and took the script to his own lap, he read few notes before he said “since you don’t look much like Jongin, you should work mostly on his body language and facial expressions”

Soft smile crossed Minho’s lips “you sound like a professional”

“I used to see him practicing a lot”

Minho nodded understandingly.

“Jongin used to flirt with the camera, using arrogant smiles”

“Did he smiled like that a lot, should I use it often?”

Taemin nodded.

“Was he like that at home, when there were no cameras?”

“Arrogant? No, he was… sheepish”

“Nothing like his characters”  

“Well, he had two worlds in him, Kai was wild and free to do all the things Jongin couldn’t. I guess all actors are like that, otherwise, they won’t be so good at what they do”

“Guess you’re right” Minho said amused “who did you loved the most, Kai or Jongin?”

“They were both my husband, the sassy lover he was or the needy one, I loved both sides of his personality”

The word ‘lover’ intrigued Minho “what kind of a lover was he? Gentle, rough, passionate? Was he the one to take the lead in between the sheets, or was he the one to-?” he shut when he noticed how embarrassed the young man became “I’m sorry. I’m jumping ahead but there is a love scene in the script” he excused.  

Taemin nodded, he knew about the love scene, it was a scene that his mother in law fought to erase but the writers insisted, knowing it would sell better, he never read it though.

“He was… colorful” he mumbled, don’t know how to describe his late husband’s performance in bed.

“Were you each other’s first?” Minho asked, knowing it was a personal question that satisfied nothing but his own curiosity.      

“No...he had few partners before, boys and girls”

“Was he your first?”

Taemin gulped, wave of heat washed his body, his pale skin flushed, turned him away.

“Sorry, it’s none of my business” Minho said already knowing the answer, he leaned forward and poured himself something to drink while changing the subject “let’s work on his first audition, it’s a meaningful scene, how was it like?”

Taemin was a little shaky when he got up from the couch, the actor watched him curiously as he opened one of the living room cupboards, he took a CD out of it- one of many- and placed it in the DVD player, he turned the TV on before he sat back on the couch.

Kai’s face appeared on the screen, it was an old video, the actor looked no older than 18, but even though he was young he read his scene impressively, his voice was steady, his eyes penetrating, the camera loved him.

“It was his first audition” Taemin said quietly “I think it can help you better than I can. There are many more videos you can watch”

Minho looked at the young man appreciatively “Taemin… it’s...thank you”

Taemin just nodded, he turned his gaze and looked at the screen like it was the first time he ever saw the video.

 

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

 

“Which movie he auditioned for?” Minho asked as he pushed a slice of pizza into his mouth, he rewind the video, trying to recognize the scene.

Lately, he spent most of his free time at Taemin’s, practicing his character, though it must have been inconvenient, the young man never complained.

Taking the seat by his side, Taemin looked at the screen “I think it was ‘memories’, he auditioned but never got the part” 

“It must have been frustrating, it was a really good movie”

Taemin shrugged “never watched it”

“Really? It was the biggest seller of its year”

“I’m not really into movies”

“You’re not?” Minho asked amused.

“Not so much”

“But your husband was an actor”

“So? I’m a dentist, Jongin never liked dentists because I’m one”

Well, yeah, it was a stupid thing to say “how about Kai’s, have you seen his movies?”

“Sometimes…”

“You haven’t seen all?”

“No”

“I think I would have been insulted if my husband wouldn’t have seen all of my movies”

“Why?”

“Because…”

“I’m sorry, I can’t see the problem”

“It shows how supporting you are”

“I supported Jongin in every way I could, watching his movies was just a small part of it, I toured with him when he was on the roads, went to his fansigns, went to launching parties when he asked me to, I even visited the sets when he filmed”

Minho had an apologetic expression on his face when he said “I didn’t know”

“Just because I chose to stay anonymously behind the scenes it doesn't mean I wasn’t supportive”

Minho hummed understandingly “speaking of, behind the scenes, I was wondering...would you like to come and see the shootings?”

The hesitating look on Taemin’s face made him believe he would reject his offer, it truly surprised him when he agreed.