A Father's Story

A Father's Story

This would be the second IOI story for my second comeback. This is a Father's Day Special. I hope you guys like it.


The smell of good old jjampong enlightened my senses, all while I watched my beautiful wife calling our beautiful and cute daughter, and her wife and daughter, our grandchild through the phone.

I am an Eommoni to my cinnamon roll, an Alpha wife to my beautiful strawberry and now, a Shiameoni to a penguin, and now, a Halmeoni to my bundle of joy. But now, we were in our lives. We have let our cinnamon roll go together with her penguin and baby giraffe and we only have each other.

The call ended and I served the meal. She came to peck my cheek and we ate together. 

"How's Mina?" I asked.

"She's been doing great, Nayoungie." Chaeyeon smiled at me. "Sohye had been good and Somi had been the bundle of joy that we always love."

She nodded. I slurped my noodles and I watched Chaeyeon look around the place. I understood her. It had been a little quiet, now that Mina is all grown up and has a family of her own. I held her hand gently. 

"Mind me..." Chaeyeon spoke and felt my hand. "...who knew it could get quiet, now that Mina's on her new life."

"But our daughter didn't leave us. She's still visits. She'll always be our baby cinnamon roll." I said.

She nodded and we ate. I decided to chitchat with Chaeyeon, just like on those times when we used to date.

An idea then came to mind as I plan to let Chaeyeon come and we visit Mina, Sohye, and Somi soon.

•••••

We did the visit and Chaeyeon and I got excited as we got to the Kim household. The door opened before we got in and there was Sohye.

"Eommoni! Eomma!" She smiled as she got to hug us.

"Aigoo, how's our Penguin?" Chaeyeon cooed while rubbing her cheek.

"Sohye." I was usually the composed one as I hug her. "Where's Mina and Somi?"

"Stone Grandpa~" A five-year old Somi tackled me for a hug. 

"Watch it, Somi." Mina came into view and sighed.

I caught Somi and I smiled as I hug her. Chaeyeon got the chance to hug her granddaughter and I got another tackle.

"Eommoni." Mina spoke as she hugged me.

"How's my baby cinnamon roll?" I asked.

Sohye and Somi reacted and Mina pouts in embarrassment. We got inside and spent the day inside the house.

It went on with the usual lunch and we mostly had our talks and had fun with Somi. Chaeyeon and Mina were having their time with Somi and us, the fathers, could only watch.

"Enjoying the sweet torture of being the only 'man' in the family, Sohye?" I asked.

"It's fine, Eommoni. In fact, I feel responsible, like you and Eomma Sejeong." She answered.

I got something from my bag and showed it to Sohye. She gasped as I gave it to her. "It's Eomma Sejeong's top."

"We used to play tops when we were kids. We were so manly." I chuckled lightly.

Sohye held onto it tenderly. I saw a bit of tears as I wipe them off of her face. "Sorry for reminding you. But know that I miss her too."

Sejeong passed away a year ago due to a car accident. It created a big toll on Sohye's life as she has no living parent anymore. As a father like Sejeong, I mostly do my part to care for Sohye, as if she was my own daughter, just like I always do with Mina.

"I miss her too, Eommoni."

"Eommoni! Did you make my wife cry?!" Mina was a bit exasperated.

"Mina." Sohye said. "It's okay. I just remembered Eomma Sejeong. Don't mind about it."

"Awww, don't cry, Eommoni." Somi went to hug her mother.

Mina still had the angry look at me as she comforts Sohye. Chaeyeon reprimanded her about glaring at me but I told her not to. 

"Aigoo, it's late. We should go now, everyone." I said and Chaeyeon nodded.

"Stone Grandpa, don't got yet." Somi went to hug me.

"Somi, your Grandma needs to go." Mina spoke sternly.

Somi huffed and went to her room. Chaeyeon and I got outside as Mina escorted us. Chaeyeon went ahead to the car as I wanted to speak to Mina and apologize for Sohye.

"Mina, I'm sorry." I said.

"You know how Sohye can get anxious as she's reminded of the loss of Eomma Sejeong. She lost Eomma Doyeon before and now Eomma Sejeong. And here you are, reminding her." Mina explained.

"I know. I'm sorry again." I apologized.

"Just don't do it again, Eommoni." Mina sighed. "Thank you for visiting."

She went in, closing the door in front of me without the usual hugs and kisses of goodbye. I couldn't blame the change Mina is having because it's all part of life.

I got back to the car and turned it on. As I backed and drove, I had a look of anxiety and discomfort. I didn't mean to trigger Sohye like that and now, Mina is mad.

"Nayoungie..." I heard Chaeyeon as she held my hand. "Are you alright?"

I just smiled and told her I was fine.

She can't see me getting hurt of Mina's change.

•••••

Time passed again and so did my life with my family.

I used to be a system analyst but due to Chaeyeon's homesickess, we quit our jobs at enterprise and started business. I was still working with Minkyung and Kyungwon in the restaurant and worked with Eunwoo and Yebin at the cyber shop. Chaeyeon was still aging beautifully but lately, due to our old ages, she had been sickly. I let her retire early and let her stay at home so that she rests. As the Alpha, I had to be responsible and work for the both of us.

Mina and Sohye had been busy with work as CEOs of their businesses. I was proud of them for achieving so far onto their lives. But lately, they've been distant, especially Mina, saying that they were too busy. I understood. It's an achievement I cannot meddle and it was for Somi's future after all.

Somi had been growing up to be a good kid in school and made constant visits at our home. She kept Chaeyeon company sometimes and the both of us would fence in the backyard.

"You got it, Somi." I grinned as I held onto my jousting sword.

"I got my Stone Grandpa as my best teacher." Somi smiled and hugged me. "Stone Grandpa, can I stay here for the night?" 

"Did you ask your Eomma Mina?" I asked.

"No." She pouted. "She never lets me do things that I want. Thankfully, Eomma Sohye is the Alpha because I wouldn't be able to do anything I want without her."

"All the same. Ask permission." I said.

Somi nodded. We went inside and Chaeyeon had Somi for company again. I went to kiss their foreheads and made something to eat when a knock was heard. 

"I'll get that, Chae." I said to her.

I turned the stove off for safety reasons and I went to the door to be greeted by Mina. I wss happy to see her and I hugged her.

"What brings you here-"

"I'm taking my daughter back, Eommoni." Mina said instantly. 

I glanced back at Somi and she shook her head. I let Mina come inside as Somi hugged Chaeyeon tight.

"Somi, be a good girl and let's go." Mina said.

"I don't want to." Somi declined then faced Chaeyeon and I. "Stone Grandpa, Grandma, I want to stay here."

"Remember your Appa wants you home right now, young lady." Mina sighs hard. 

"Come on, Somi-ya. Listen to your mother." I said as I got her bag and put it on her back. "Don't worry. You can visit us anytime."

Somi nodded, kissing my cheek and Chaeyeon's as she went closer to Mina. Mina went to kiss Chaeyeon's cheek and went to hug me. I could only hug back.

"Visit us soon, Mina." I said to her.

"Yes, Eommoni." Mina nodded.

I escorted them outside and bid goodbyes again. As I watch Mina drive back home, I sighed again. I went inside. Chaeyeon gave me a sad look and I assure her with a pat on the back. "I'm okay."

Chaeyeon could only nod and I kiss her forehead. I decided to carry her back to bed. She yelped and blushed but I assured her that despite of our ages, I was still the tall and strong Stone Buddha that will always take care of her. I got her laid and she pulled to hug me tight. I chuckled and hugged her back.

"I love you, Nayoungie..." Chaeyeon whispered. "...and our baby Mina loves you too, no matter what..."

"I know, Chae..." I said. "...and know that I love you too..."

I stayed by Chaeyeon's side until she slept. I wasn't sleepy so I went out for some fresh air, thinking off all that has happened, especially the fact that Chaeyeon was sick and Mina seemed to be a little distant than usual. Such events made me cry because I still couldn't accept and move on. I guess a part of me wanted our family to get intact.

I huffed, getting such thoughts out of my head and decided to go back to sleep with my wife.

 •••••

With desperate times call for desperate measures...

It would've been against my will but I couldn't think about it now as I was driving insanely with Chaeyeon beside me in a critical condition. Chaeyeon showed some signs that I had to act quickly and get her to the nearest hospital. I would've called Mina or Sohye but Chaeyeon hated the fact that the children had to worry for her.

"Don't worry, Chae..." I spoke through shaking teeth while I drove and held her hand. "...I'll get you healed."

Chaeyeon could only hold my hand tighter as I drove and skidded throughout the lane, passing various vehicles as I had gone too eager to get Chaeyeon healed. We got to a hospital and nurses hastily came in to help us. I ran as Chaeyeon was skidded to the emergency room. I was stopped since I wasn't allowed.

"Mrs. Im, we'll do what we can to heal her." The doctor spoke.

I could only nod and was left to wait. I was pacing, my worriedness rising. I didn't notice that I held onto my phone for so long. I got to the phone contacts and Mina's name flashes onto the screen.

I'm sorry, Chae...

•••••

"I'm so sorry, Mrs. Im."

That statement rang onto my head for so long. Despite of Mina's presence, I was still trapped in a daze. 

"Eommoni!" Mina nudged me back to reality. "What happened? Where's Eomma?"

"Are you Mrs. Kim?" The doctor asked her as she got two letters. "The patient said to give this to you." She gave the other one to me. "I deeply apologize. We've done everything we could."

"I don't understand, doctor!" Mina was still yelling. "I thought Eomma's cancer would be healed! Where is she?"

"Mina!" I slammed the wall to shut her up. "She's gone..." Tears dropped by my face. "Your mother is gone..."

Mina ran inside. I look back, seeing Sohye crying as she lulled Somi to sleep. I pecked their foreheads and went inside with Mina. I saw her crouching, holding Chaeyeon's lifeless hand as she cried a river. 

I would've been Stone Buddha. I swore to be strong for Chaeyeon, for Mina, and for our family. But I was like my own daughter as my legs turned into jelly. I went closer, grabbing Chaeyeon's hand and letting it cup my face. I went to peck her forehead, mumbling my apologies as I cried helplessly. 

Chaeyeon had been my world. She made me into a woman I never thought I could become. She helped me see and feel all that is beautiful in the world. She even helped me with my issues in the family, especially of my issue with Mina. But now that she's gone, I wonder of what to do...

Who knew I'd be so lost without her?

I could only cry with Mina as we lost someone so dear to us.

•••••

The funeral wasn't that grand but a lot of people came in. 

Yeonjung came back from China. Minkyung, Kyungwon, Eunwoo, and Yebin also came and gave their condolences. But to me, the presences of the Kim Family sufficed as they joined me by the altar, gazing at Chaeyeon's beautiful picture.

For us, it was a puddle of tears. Somi was the first to cry, me knowing that she was really close with Chaeyeon. Sohye was the strong one, wiping her tears off despite of its endless flow. For Mina, she was almost like the baby Chaeyeon and I had before as she hugged me tight and wept, staining my shoulders with her tears.

I wrap an arm around to hug her back as I pat Sohye's head and wiped Somi's tears away. 

Although my puddle of tears say otherwise, I had to be strong again...for Chaeyeon...

•••••

It had been quite sometime. The house was lonely and so did my heart as I could only gaze at the altar that stood upon my very home, tears flowing down my face as my cry subsided out of nothingness.

It was almost a year since Chaeyeon passed away. I would've stayed strong, I would've been a better Alpha wife, and I would've been the one to listen more to everything she felt. I would've hung out to that belief but I never thought it would be taken so soon.

*knock*

I was out towards reality. I wiped my tears off, stood up, and went towards the door to greet someone. And that someone was a person I didn't expect to come.

"Eommoni."

I hugged her tight, petting her head while adding a kiss on her forehead. "Mina..."

"Eommoni." Mina spoke as she frees herself. "I came here for Eomma and for Sohye's request."

"And what is that, my child?" I asked.

"I'm staying here...but only for a month or two..." Mina said as she got in.

I could only nod. I helped Mina with her stuff but she insisted on doing it herself. I could only nod and decided to make her something to eat.

The issue with Mina made herself drift apart from me. Being an Alpha wife, you're almost like a father. You're over protective and you're less affectionate compared to a mother. I was like that when Mina was a child but we grew so close. When she was growing up, I decide to let her do things she wanted without any interference. But I grew overprotective again and turned into a killjoy that she hated it and that's when it started to dim. Mina was drifting away and only Chaeyeon ceased that gap and made us connect.

Now that Chaeyeon's gone, I wonder what to do now?

"Eommoni?"

I looked back to see Mina, her hewd lowered. I sigh and asked. "What do you want me to cook?"

"Can you cook me some dumplings?" She asked.

I would never since it's processed food. I would make some but cooking and I were never compatible. So I went to her, patting her head. "I don't have packaged dumplings here but I'll go and buy some."

"Let me come with you." Mina said.

"No. You should rest. I'll be right back." I said.

"Okay." She lowered her head again and lets go.

She went upstairs to her room, making me sigh of my approach of not letting her come with me. I shrugged that off and decided to buy some dumplings.

It was stupid of me to do that but how can I not do it? I'm a parent. Despite of the age, even if Mina turns 80, she'll always be my baby to take care of.

•••••

Days have passed and Mina and I were still living together. The place was less quiet since Mina and I share talks once in a while. But then, it was awkward for Mina, with the approach and all.

Today, Mina would be going to work. But then, her car's busted. She groans in frustration.

"Mina, how about I take you to work?" I offered.

"No, it's fine, Eommoni." Mina declined.

"But it's almost 8. If you take the bus, you'll be late." I said, getting my keys. "I insist."

"Eommoni, can I just borrow your car?" Mina asked.

"I need to use to work later." I said, opening the door by the passenger's seat. "Come on. Get in."

Mina couldn't argue back and hopped in. I got to the driver's seat and drove her to work. 

Being particular with time, I drove swiftly yet surely. In less than ten minutes, we arrived at her company. 

"Thanks, Eommoni." She spoke as she got out.

"Mina." I called her before she could go. "Have fun with work. And don't slack off." I even add a thumbs-up and a smile.

She just nodded and went. But then, I saw her face of embarassment and anger thst it made me a little sad. I guess she's still mad.

I sighed again when Eunwoo called me. I answered my phone. "Yes, you little ?"

Still a Stone retard, huh?

"Of course." I chuckled. "Why did you call?"

Something's wrong. Some worker wanted to buy our cyber shop.

"What?!" I reacted. "They can't do that!"

Stone, can you get here right now? We need your help to settle this.

"Alright. I'll get there." I hung up and drove quickly towards the shop.

•••••

I could sigh in frustration and crumple the paper that I was holding. 

When I got to the shop, some worker came and said that the place was sold without our consent. I refuted of the fact that we paid rent every month and tried to settle with our documents of ownership but I could gasp as the owner came and said that the place wss sold two weeks ago. I was damned like Eunwoo and Yebin but we couldn't refute. With that, everything we invested and worked upon belongs to them. Now, Eunwoo and Yebin were jobless. Me? I don't have a decent job anymore. 

My thoughts were disrupted by a scream and a slam on the door. I looked to see Mina and she was mad. I went to ask what's wrong but she shrugged. "It's nothing."

"Then why were you screaming?" I asked back.

"It's nothing, Eommoni." Mina said again.

"It's not a nothing with your reaction. What's wrong, Mina?" I asked one more time.

"My business has gone bankrupt." Mina mumbled. "Some worker bought my building. I couldn't do anything and terminated everything I've worked hard for!" She threw the papers away.

"Mina." I sighed and picked the papers up. "Don't stop now. We can do something about it."

"And what would you do?" She batted. "Imonie Yebin told me that you both lost your jobs for the same predicament with mine. How will you supposed to help me, Eommoni?"

"I have another way." I said. "Let me help you."

"The part time job at the restaurant? It won't be enough, Eommoni." Mina spat. "I asked Sohye for help but her business is also struggling. Both of you couldn't help me even if you wanted to."

"It won't stop me, Mina." I said. "As a parent, I will help you."

"Eommoni, I'm grown up. I have to deal with this myself. I don't need your help, okay?" She said as she grabbed her papers and went upstairs.

I sighed again. I've failed again. Mina is mad at me again.

I could only put a hand by my face as I relieve myself from the tension.

•••••

It would've been a normal day today but somehow, life was toying our walks. I was rushing to the Kim residence. I got inside, seeing Sohye lulling what seems to be a drunk Mina. I went closer and went to check on them.

"What happened?" I asked Sohye.

"Eommoni..." Sohye was in tears. "...it's been hard."

"Sohye..." I began. "...is it..."

"Yes, Eommoni." Sohye nodded as she cried. "My company has reached its limit. Now, both of us are jobless." 

"I'm so sorry for that..." I comforted her.

"I'm worried for my mother and child." Sohye said. "I did my best and searched opportunities but I was rejected everytime I found one. Mina can be emotionally stable sometimes and she went drinking. Some friend of hers called me and here she is...sleeping." 

I sighed at Mina. Chaeyeon was like that too...

"I'll help you two." I pat Sohye's head. "I still have a part-time. I'll do my best to help."

"Eommoni..." Sohye lowers her head.

"It's a part of parenthood, Sohye-ya. Even if you and Mina have families of your own, your parents can't stop caring for you, even me..." I said. "As long as I'm here, I'll be there for you three."

Sohye hugged me tight. I smiled and hugged her back. I looked at Mina and she was still sleeping. I carried her. 

"Omo-it's okay, Eommoni. I'll carry Mina to bed." Sohye said.

"Can I?" I asked. "I sort of missed my baby girl. You know how everything had happened, right?" 

Sohye nodded and decided to check on Somi. I carried Mina to their bedroom and tucked her to bed. Before leaving, I got a stool and sat, looking at my daughter. I couldn't help but pat her head and kiss her forehead. 

"I'm sorry for everything..." I said. "I would even think your Eomma is mad at me for not taking care of this family enough..." I soften her hair. "...but I'll do everything to put everything back into place..."

I felt tears on Mina's face. She was crying on her sleep. I wipe them off as she cries Chaeyeon's name in a mantra. I sighed and wiped the last of her tears before leaving her to sleep. I went to Somi's room and there was the father and daughter, sleeping in each other's arms. I went to tuck them onto the blankets, adding kisses on their foreheads and deciding to stay for the night.

•••••

Just like I've promised to my children and grandchild, I worked full-time on the restaunrant this time. I did the usual work and always worked overtime everyday. During work, I would see Minkyung and Kyungwon looking pitifully at me but I always rooted the fact that I needed to do this not only for myself but for the children, especially to my little Somi.

It was a break. I was just drinking water from a drinking fountain as Minkyung went closer and handed me a sandwich. "Nayoung, take it. You haven't eaten since this morning."

"But it would cost a deduction on my salary. I can't take it." I said.

Minkyung sighed and I couldn't blame my stubborness. She sits next to me as I held onto my rumbling stomach.

"Haven't your children found jobs?" Minkyung asked.

I shook my head. "Sohye, yes. Mina, no." I put a hand on my forehead. "Sohye would've focused to work for them but she kept on taking care of Mina since she wanders off and she drinks sometimes."

"I wonder of your daughter, Nayoung. What does she see in you that she doesn't approach you like a real parent?" Minkyung began. "She approaches Chaeyeon well but not you. Why is that?"

"It only occcured at the time she grew up and had a family on her own. To be honest, I became too responsible for her that she must've had enough. Also..." I shrugged the fact of my deducted salary and ate the sandwich. "...she blames me for many incidents in life..."

"Like the car accident?" Minkyung asked.

The car accident...the accident where Sejeong's life was taken...

It was mainly an accident. I was the one driving and Sejeong was sitting, watching the rain. A sedan with a motherer for a driver hit our car and it came crashing down the ravine. I protected Sejeong as the car rolled but it wasn't enough. When the car went on fire, I hastily got Sejeong and I out and called for help. When we got to the hospital, it was too late. Sejeong was dead. When Mina and Sohye found out about it, Sohye was crying like a wreck. Mina went mad, blaming me for the cause of her death. I couldn't refute. It was true. If I had been more careful, Sejeong wouldn't have died.

"But Nayoung...you're not a fault. No one's at fault." Minkyung said.

"But it was, even to what happened to Chaeyeon..." I said. "...if I just persuaded her to heal, she wouldn't have died."

"Aigoo, Stone Nayoung..." Kyungwon came and shoved a piece of bread on my mouth. "...you need to eat to work for your children."

I laughed lightly and ate. Kyungwon sat on my left and she and Minkyung pat.

"We salute you, Stone." Kyungwon said.

"I can't force you to live your life and be happy for yourself because you seem happy that you want to help your family. But also know that we'll be here." Minkyung added.

I couldn't help but hold back my tears, all while I ate. I gulped down and spoke. "Thank you..."

•••••

I was done with work and I was at home, my back hurting like hell. I was reminded how fragile it was to work at an old age that Minkyung and Kyungwon helped me in making sure I ate right. I got to the dining room, thinking of what to cook when Mina was there, setting the table.

"Eommoni." She bowed. "I prepared dinner. Come and eat with me."

I nodded and got to my seat. Mina sat and we were face to face, saying grace and eating our meals. It was little, overcooked and plain. Mina was never much of a cook since Chaeyeon cooks our meals but I always appreciate everything Mina does. I ate heartily, enjoying this little moment with my daughter. I noticed Mina was only eating spoonfuls. I sighed and scooted the side dishes closer to her. 

"Eat some more, dear. It helps you grow." I smiled.

She nodded lightly and ate. I finished mine and waited for Mina to finish since I decided to wash the dishes and let her rest.

"So...how are you?" I initiated conversation after such a while.

"I'm good, Eommoni." Mina answered. "Sohye is fine, Somi's doing well in school and I'm still looking for a job."

"Your Imonie Yebin told me she got an opportunity for you at the franchise. She told me to tell you." I spoke.

"I'll look to that." Mina added.

Mina stopped eating. I wondered as she looked at me. "Eommoni, why don't you rest? I'll take care of the dining room here."

I just nodded. I said my goodnight and went to my bedroom, all empty and plain. I slumped on my bed as I thought of everything. But nonetheless, it's a choice I made and somehow, I didn't regret.

•••••

Within the numbered days, Mina would leave and stay at the house during her preferred time and I can respect that. But most of the time, I was alone at home. The month had passed and I passed a large part of my salary to Mina and her family and only had some money for myself. But still, I was contented.

But lately, I was experiencing physical pain. Kyungwon and Minkyung would visit and give me some pedicine and patches. Eunwoo and Yebin visited yesterday and I was so happy for their company. Eunwoo got some groceries for me and Yebin told me that Mina accepted the opportunity and said that she was doing well. I was happy. Now, my children were back on their track.

Now would you please stop worrying too much of your children and start living for yourself? Eunwoo asked through a call.

"I will, Eunwoo. But I will still be there for my children." I said. "Thanks for yesterday, Eunwoo."

Anything for a friend who helped me with my own struggles. It's the least I could do for all you did for me.

"Okay. See you soon, Eunwoo." I said and hung up.

I heard that knock and went to get the door. I open it and was greeted by a hug.

"Stone Grandpa~" Somi spoke and hugged me again.

"Somi-ya~" I hugged her back.

Sohye and Mina came in and also hugged me. I was so happy for this. I never thought they'd visit. 

"Grandpa, please carry me~" Somi pouted.

"Somi-ya, Grandpa needs to rest." Mina said.

"I'll carry you, Somi." Sohye grabbed Somi and gave her daughter a piggyback.

Somi was laughing as she and Sohye went outside. I faced Mina and she got something.

"I brought some groceries. I'm staying here, Eommoni." Mina said.

I nodded. I insisted of taking the groceries and arrange them but Mina also wanted to help. The both of us were at the kitchen and were helping each other out.

"How the job at your Imonie Yebin's?" I asked.

"It's been fine, Eommoni." Mina answered. "I was promoted recently."

"That's wonderful, Mina." I said as I hugged her. "We should celebrate."

"Can I celebrate here?" Mina asked. 

"What kind of a question is that, my dear? Of course you can celebrate here." I said.

She could only nod. I felt my back hurt again that I decided to rest when Mina hugged me tight. I wondered of the sudden gesture but I hug her back. 

"Appa..." She mumbled as she cried.

I remember...I remember it all...

It was always an occurence. Mina always calls me 'Appa' when were together. She calls me that because she said it's how she loves me. I could cry too. It's been a long time since Mina calls me that.

"Aigoo...don't cry, my little Mina..." I said, wiping her tears away.

"I miss Eomma..." Mina cried. "And I'm sorry if I have to cry and put the blame on you for everything that had happened..." 

I comforted her and stayed put until she calmed down. 

With this, I stuck to my ground and to always be there for my family, whatever the costs.

•••••

The following days were almost like my other birthdays as my family stayed at my home for a month. I was enjoying a time with them, especially a time with Somi. 

Today, Somi and I were the only ones at home since Sohye and Mina went to work. I was reading a good old book when I felt a hug from the back.

"Stone Grandpa, can we go to the amusement park today?" Somi asked.

"But I get sick on those extreme rides." I reasoned.

"Please, Grandpa?" Somi pouted.

I was always the considerate Grandpa towards Somi so I agreed. Within the next hours, Somi and I started our bonding time and got to the amusement park. I went with Somi on those mediocre rides but I was like the worried grandma as I watch Somi ride those extreme rides. 

Afterwards, we decided to eat. I got some salads for us when I saw Somi eating some chicken. I was shocked that I went to our table and got the piece of food off of Somi's grasp.

"Somi." I spoke sternly and Somi lowered her head. "You know you can't just buy chicken. Your stomach flu, remember?"

"I'm sorry, Grandpa. I just want to eat. Grandma used to spoil me before." Somi spoke with a pout.

"I'll let you slip for now. But you can only eat this again if you eat this salad." I said.

She obeyed and ate wholeheartedly. As she was done, I let her eat. When we were done, Somi was giddy as she pulled me. "Let's go for one more ride, Grandpa."

I nodded and followed her. I was smiling on how Somi was so happy and waltzing around. When we got to the ride she wanted, she faced me. But I was shocked. She was so pale.

"Let's go, Grandpa~" She reached for my hand. 

I hastily went to her and just of specific timing, she fell on my arms. I hastily carried her and called for help.

•••••

I slammed the wall many times as I waited anxiously for the doctor. Somi's stomach flu triggered and she was in the ER. As the doors opened, I asked her right away. "How's my granddaughter?"

"Mrs. Lim, her gastroenteritis worsened. Seeing her stomach, she digested pre-cooked chicken containg Salmonella. But don't worry, she's fine and resting."

Just then, Sohye and Mina arrived. I was ashamed facing them. Sohye just looked at me with disappointment and asked. "Doctor, I'm the patient's Alpha mom. Can we see our daughter?"

The doctor nodded and Sohye stormed inside. I fced Mina and she was so disappointed. She went with Sohye when I stopped to apologize.

"Stop it, Eommoni." She spat and I froze. "How many lives do you have to take? First was Shiamoeoni, then Eomma, now your own granddaughter?!"

"Mina...I didn't mean to-"

"Enough." Mina said. "Just leave. We'll take care of our daughter without your help!"

She went inside. I sighed and hated myself for what happened to Somi. I could only sigh and go back home.

•••••

The incident with Somi took a toll of our connection that Sohye and Somi went back to their home. I was silent as I heard scuffling of things from Mina's room. When she came back, Mina just hissed. "I'm leaving now, Eommoni."

"Where are you going?" I asked.

"Business trip. I won't be back for three days. In fact..." Mina glared. "...we won't be coming back here at all!"

"Mina-"

"Don't!" Mina backed away. "I would've considered for Eomma but this is just too much, Eommoni. Maybe I should send you to a retirement village or something and make you their problem."

"Mina, you don't mean that..." I was tearing up. "I didn't mean everything that has happened. I'm so sorry..." I kneeled in front of my own child. "...but please don't say that you'll leave. I want to be a part of your family. I only have you, my dear Mina. Please..."

"You should've thought about that before, back when I still had the guts to say that I love my Appa. But that's too late, Eommoni." Mina said and left.

As the door slammed shut, I cried helplessly. Doyeon, Sejeong, and Chaeyeon are gone, Somi's in the brink of life and death, Sohye's disappointed at me, and my own daughter turned her back on me.

I wonder...maybe it was best to be away from them. I caused problems that whacked our family apart. But what do I have to live for? What am I going to do now?

•••••

I was away from Mina and her family. My friends were pitying yet I took their advice to live for myself. But then, I made some arrangements on what to do before I go.

Within the days of Mina's business trip, I planned to sell the house and move someplace else, far from the city where my parents used to live. And knowing that Mina's birthday was tomorrow, I decided to get a cake and have Yebin to deliver it to the Kim household when Mina comes home tonight, together with a video and my letter for Mina, Sohye, and Somi.

I smiled as I looked at the chocolate cake, which was Mina's favorite. I got the camera ready and prepared everything that I needed to say. 

"Mina, Sohye, Somi... I'm really sorry for the trouble I might have caused. I didn't mean to let Sejeong die, even Chaeyeon. And to my granddaughter, Stone Grandpa is so sorry to cause you harm. But know that Grandpa always loves you. Sohye, Shiamoeoni loves you too...so I'm sorry if I have to go."

I cried and wiped my tears off. I huffed and continued, getting the cake.

"My dear Mina, Happy Birthday. As a gift for you, I'll respect and leave. I caused major trouble to thw family, especially to your mom and daughter. I would've thought I was born with a curse of taking the lives of important people through accidents and with, I'm so sorry..." I added, putting the cake back on the table and continued. "My memories with you and your mom are the ones I can never forget. And even though your Eomma's not here anymore, know that she loves you...and as your Appa..." I sniffled. "...know that I love you with all my heart..."

I stopped the video and cried so hard. I finished the arrangements and sat by the living room, watching news.

- Just now, an accident occured by the streets of Seoul, close to the Han River. A van was hit by a truck and it toppled down the bridge and lives of certain businesswomen were affected. Two were reported dead, seven injured, and two more are to be found out.-

I gasped of seeing the company name. I turned the TV off, got my car keys, and drove hastily towards the location.

•••••

As I got there, I pushed myself and made my way to the crowd and saw the burning van. I saw the police and paramedics there, even the injured. I asked yhe police about Mina and they shook their head. I almost choked the police for not doing her job and passed the barrier and went down the burning van.

It was on fire but I didn't care. I got a big stone and broke all windows to get access of the doors and searched inside. I cried as I saw a body stuck on a collapsed seat and got the seat off. The fire was burning my arms but as I saw the face, I hastily got the seat off and carried her out.

The van exploded, burning my back as I carried Mina out. The policd gasped as the paramedics went to help me. I yelled to get us to the hospital as they got the ambulance running with Mina and me inside.

•••••

Mina was in the brink of life and death as she was skidded to the ER. I was to be sent to another room to heal but I kept crying and yelling at the doctor.

"Doc, please don't let anything happen to my daughter! I have money and a house! Take it all!" I cried despite of my burned back and arms. "My daughter cannot die!"

I watched Mina being sent to the emergency room as I was at another room. I was anxious as the nurses mended my burns. I couldn't worry for myself. Mina was to worry here.

The doctor came and I instantly asked of my daughter's condition.

"She has lost a lot of blood. She needs a blood transfusion." She said.

"I'm an O+ like my daughter. I'll donate my blood for her." I said.

"But Mrs. Lim. It could cost your life-"

"Please." I begged. "Take my blood. I don't care if it'll cost me my life. I want my daughter to live, doctor. As a parent, I beg you. Please..."

They were silenced. Nonetheless, I thank God they agreed.

•••••

I was patched as I was in the same room with Mina. I felt myself getting weaker as I look the side, seeing Mina breathe as she fights for her life. I teared up, watching a packet of my blood flow inside her system. And seeing the monitor giving more signa of life, I was happy.

"She needs two more packets." I heard the doctor say. 

"It'll kill Mrs. Lim, doctor-"

"It's okay." I said. "I'll be willing to do that for my daughter..."

The nurses were crying out of pity. The doctor nodded and I felt two more needles pierced, one at a time, filling the packets with my blood.

I cried. I pity myself. I felt guilty for everything that had happened. But maybe this is what God planned for me as a parent. I need to face responsibility and sacrifice for my family. And even though I feel my sudden death coming, at least I leave Mina in peace and I'm assured that she'll live.

I might never see them ever again and I may not have been the perfect parent, but to the least... I'm assured that I loved perfectly for my family, especially for Mina.

With that, hearing that the transfusion was almost complete, I teared up and rested.

Chaeyeon... I'm coming for you...

•••••

*Another POV*

Mina was waking up as she saw Somi sleeping next to her and there was Sohye, sleeping by the side as she held her hand. Mina hugged Somi close and held Sohye's hand and they woke up.

"Mina..." Sohye kissed her forehead and hugged her. "I was so worried..."

"Eomma..." Somi hugged her mother as she cried. 

Mina hugged her wife and daughter as the doctor came in. She smiled sadly as she was happy that Mina was awake. "Thank God..."

"Doctor, how did I get here?" Mina asked.

"You were a victim on the accident at the Han River. You were saved and got a blood transfusion from someone."

"It's you, right?" Mina asked, hugging Sohye.

"No. I'm not an O+, Mina." Sohye answered.

Sohye and Somi looked sadly at Mina as the doctor went to an adjacent room. Mina was still confused as Sohye told Somi to get them some food. Somi nodded and went, leaving her parents to talk.

"Sohye-ya..."

"I'm sorry I didn't get to you in time. If Eommoni didn't call me before the transfusion happened, I wouldn't have known sooner." Sohye started as she teared up.

"What do you mean? How did Eommoni get into this?" Mina asked.

"She saved you." Sohye said and Mina gasped. "Eommoni had her instincts and found about the news as it happened. The police didn't see you in that van but Eommoni got in unauthorized bounds and looked for you inside. Eommoni had burns on her arms and back and she got you out of that van."

"No..." Mina teared up. "I-It can't be...after all that I've said to her..."

"She was with you and made sure nothing happened to you. When she found out you needed blood, Eommoni donated three packs. It wasn't advisable because it could cost Eommoni's life but she did..." Sohye cried. "...she donated to save your life..."

"W-Where's Appa?" Mina cried as Sohye hugged her. "Penguin, where's Appa?" 

The doctor got out of the room and Mina asked of Nayoung.

"Mrs. Lim managed to survive despite of the risks. She's at this room, resting." 

"Doctor...can I be moved inside with my Appa?" Mina asked. "I want to see her...I want to be with her..."

"Of course." The doctor agreed. "Mrs. Kim..." She called as she was about to go. "...you're mother is one dedicated parent."

Sohye nodded. Mina was crying again as she felt bad for everything that had happened, realizing that Nayoung, her Appa, really did love her. She was guilty that she didn't reciprocate sooner.

"It's all my fault..." Mina cried, hugging Sohye tight. "...I shouldn't have said those bad things to Appa...now she's hurt because of me."

"Mina...it's okay..." Sohye shushed her. "It's okay..."

Just then, Yebin came inside with Nayoung's other friends. Sohye and Mina bowed seeing their aunts as Yebin came closer and hugged Mina. 

"Thank goodness you're safe." Yebin said.

Mina could only hug back as Eunwoo got the cake and Minkyung got the tab. Kyungwon was at the door as Somi came in, greeting her grandaunts as Yebin explained everything.

"Even though two days have passed since your birthday, we want to celebrate for Nayoung's sake." Minkyung said.

"You know, Mina..." Eunwoo pats her head. "...Nayoung couldn't shut about you. She always said how proud she was of you for everything you did. She even prepared these for you."

"Really?" Mina asked as she tears up.

"Yes, dear..." Yebin said as she wiped her tears. "Nayoung bought you a cake and made a video for you. She even had letters for Sohye and Somi."

"Stone Grandpa would've left us." Somi said as she cried. "She said she'd leave for your sake, Eomma."

Minkyung got the tab as the video was played. Everyone gathered around as they watched.

Mina saw Nayoung as she said her words. Hearing them and seeing her Appa made Mina cry. They watched al throughout the video and all of them teared up. Mina was the most emotional one as she even paused on Nayoung's point as it ended, caressing the screen as if she was caressing her mother's face right now.

"Aigoo, don't cry, Mina. We should be smiling. Your mother wouldn't want to be sad." Kyungwon said as Minkyung lit the candles on the cake.

Everyone sang the Happy Birthday song and Mina blew the candles afterwards. They cheered lightly as Somi asked her of her wish.

"I wish for Appa to heal." Mina said through teary eyes. "I want us to be complete again."

Mina gasped as Minkyung and Kyungwon made way and there was a resting Nayoung skidded closer to Mina's bed. Mina got all teary as Sohye tries to calm her down. The four old ladies gathered around her and were teary too. Somi went and hugged Nayoung tight as she cried. "Stone Grandpa~"

"Yah, Stone Nayoung. Hear your granddaughter? Don't give in, alright?!" Minkyung batted as she sniffled.

"You still need to work for your children, remember? You always say that so you need to live for them, for Mina." Kyungwon said.

"I love you even of you call me a dork!" Eunwoo cried. "Don't die, Stone Nayoung!"

"Aish, you wasted the tissues." Yebin hissed as she teared up. "But they're right, Stone. Don't leave. Ad much as I like you yo be with Chaeyeon, Doyeon, and Sejeong, even Chungha and Kyulkyung, we all need you here..." Yebin pats Nayoung's head. "...Mina needs you here."

Nayoung's fingers moved as she cried. Mina saw it and reached for Nayoung's hand. The four ladies went to help move Nayoung's bed closer. Then, all of them went out to leave Mina with some time with her Appa. Mina held Nayoung's hand tight as she cried.

"Appa... I'm so sorry. I did this to you- to us..." Mina scooted even closer and hugged her, her tears dropping onto Nayoung's hospital gown. "You were always there for me. You never gave up on me. I just want you back..."

Mina looked up and cupped her Appa's cheek. Mina kissed her forehead and her tears fell. "I was wrong. It was never your fault. I'm so sorry for blaming you. But I want you alive again. I want you back, Appa..."

Mina recalled everything. From the time she was born and Nayoung was the first person she saw, from her problems with asthma and Nayoung carrying her, from the time she wanted to see Sohye and Nayoung stopped her, from a visit in the her old home and she watches Nayoung hug Chaeyeon tight, from the time she cried of the deaths of Sejeong and Chaeyeon and Nayoung was comforting her, from the time she said her harsh words as Nayoung kneeled, and to to the time that she's saved but Nayoung was still in comatose.

Mina blamed herself of Nayoung's current state. It was almost cliché of her to say that she's sorry after all she did to her Appa but hidden in the secluded heart was her love for family, especially of her love towards Nayoung. Mina pulled her IV drip closer as she laid next to her Appa, hugging her and leaning her head on her shoulder.

"I still need you, Appa. Please don't leave me yet." Mina mumbled. "I love you, Appa..."

Mina didn't stop crying. With that, she fell asleep, hoping, praying, that somehow, Nayoung will be okay.

*end of POV*

•••••

I love you, Appa...

During the middle of the night, I was awoken. I was still processing my vision. It was dark yet I saw some familiar faces. But what I did expect was Mina. She was sleeping next to me.

I remember all those times I had with my baby girl. There were sometimes bad times but I went through them because I love my family. I love my baby Mina. And I know that she always loves me.

I never thought I would hear it again. I heard those words clearly.

I love you, Appa...

I looked down and cried in joy. I hugged her closer again and hope of another chance to love my daughter until the end.

•••••

"Appa~"

I looked at the side and Mina was hugging me abd holding my hand. "It's lunch time~"

I nodded as I went with her. I felt Somi hug me tight as Sohye helped my four friends. I saw Yeunjung arriving as we went to hug her tight. 

"You came just in time, Yoo." Sohye said.

"Alrighty, let's eat?" Yebin said.

Mina and Sohye hugged each other and Somi got in between them. The four dorks got to their seats with Yeunjung and I got to mine, with Mina and Sohye on my sides.

"Say grace, Mina." I said and Mina nodded.

The day was great as we ate then had fun. And when we rested, we went up the large pavilion and there stood five stones, all representing our loved ones.

We watch Somi put a flower on the graves of her grandparents and grandaunts. Yeunjung got the traditional Chinese candles for Kyulkyung and Chungha and Eunwoo and Yebin said their prayers with Yeunjung. Sohye prayed for Doyeon and Sejeong and Minkyung and Kyungwon joined with us in praying as I said mine for all of them, especially to my dear Chaeyeon.

When we were done, I stayed a little longer for Chaeyeon. I poured some soju on shotglasses and got one for each of us. I drank and I felt a hug by my back.

"Appa~" Mina called as she sat next to me. "I want to join in."

Mina got another shotglass and I poured her some. Mina and I clanked our glasses and drank. We looked at Chaeyeon's grave for a while.

"Eomma, I said it to Appa. Don't haunt me anymore." Mina spoke and I chuckled. "I've always loved Appa, Eomma. I just don't have the guts to say it."

"Hear that, Chae? Don't haunt her again, even me." I said as I hugged Mina tight. "I didn't stop loving the both of you."

"Appa." Mina called and I listened.

"Yes, my dear?"

She pecks my cheeks. "I love you."

I kiss her forehead back. "Appa loves you too."

We stayed there. Mina leaned her head on my shoulder as we held each other's hands. 

I remember what Chaeyeon's last words were before she died. She said that we can have all the children in the world...but we'll only have and will always have two parents in our lives. And for my children and my granddaughter, I'm the only parent left for them that's why I will always be here for them today, tomorrow, and always.


This has been the story. Thanks for reading it. Happy Father's Day to all fathers and paternal parents out there. <3