Prologue - Jiae

The Holiday

"Advice for young talents who are aspired to be voice actor? Hm, let me be honest here, it's more difficult that you imagine, really. You see, the industry is getting even more crowded nowadays, with the internet and how easy it is to get equipment. The other day I stumbled onto a work done by group of amateurs in YouTube, and they were so good I almost couldn't believe they were novice in voice acting! 
So how to stand out? To prove you're not just one of those repertoires sprouting overnight? I can only say; passion. No matter where you start from, whether you're in professional school or just experimenting on DIY studio in your basement, most important thing you totally must possess, is passion. Give it your all if you believe this is your true calling. Do lots of study in acting and improve, try a lot of different voices. You got to be great. Perfect. Not settle with just an okay or fine."

Yoo Jiae - voice actress


"A humble person who shows great care to aspiring young voice-over talents, they say. Tch, how funny."

Leaning against the cubicle's thin wall, Yoo Jiae calmly listens to conversation between two persons with familiar voices who just entered bathroom. Two persons who are oblivious to the fact that the object of their gossip is within just few meters distance, their complaining words loud and clear for her to hear.

"Tell these reporters to work with her in one project and let's see what they would write on article." The first gossiper, woman with deep, husky voice, continues.

Her friend who replies later has slightly squeaky, girlier tone. "Ssh, lower your voice!"

"What? No one's gonna hear us, let me rant!" Husky sniggers. "She acts snobbish and looks down on us just because she graduated from acting school overseas! Well it's not our fault she had it hard while we got to be here after the director took interests on our YouTube experiments."

"I have to agree to that. If she's that great, she should've been in Hollywood right now instead of here dictating us."

"Bet she enrolled into the college with daddy's money."

"I will not dictate you, proud YouTubers-turned-professionals..." Squeaky squeaks and Husky nearly curses out loud when Jiae inches out of the cubicle in light steps that didn't make any sound at all. "If you never got so carried away just after few succesful projects and start taking your job half-heartedly."

The thing with Jiae is, she doesn't burst out accusing people - at least not at work. She watches attentively, then spills facts in razor-thin, non-filtered statements that able to sharply perforate such people as this Husky and Squeaky's souls.

"But maybe you will only understand what I mean later, when you gradually lose offers and have to actually beg for a small role." Jiae waves her hand, the gesture's totally harmless, yet her juniors cowering in fear even more. "By the way, I did not take any single won from daddy's wallet for my college tuition. I got full scholarship."

———————

Despite the cool composure she upholds in front of colleagues, Yoo Jiae does shout and go ape- at people - the fact that no one besides her close friends and family know. Of course, she's originally a sweet and kind girl, and for this anger management trouble, Jiae blames her job. Six years had passed by since the first time she started doing voice acting professionally; what was once a challenge has turned to demands which sometimes can't be met, passion has became complete sense of exhaustion, and satisfaction has became endless greed to achieve more. Her slight OCD tendency also doesn't help taming her temper at all.

"What's this?" Jiae demands. She's stumbling into kitchen with intention to get a glass of water to quench her thirst when dirty noodle pot and bowl Jisoo had forgot to wash are spotted sitting offensively on the sink. From the living room adjacent to kitchen, her girlfriend pales instantly.

"How many times do I need to tell you to not eat instant food?" Jiae scolds, hands on hip, marching to the side of Jisoo who's been sitting cross-legged on the floor facing small coffee table. "And this? You're drinking instant coffee again!" She grabs a half empty mug, dark liquid inside it almost spilled onto dozens of papers strewn all over the place.

"Oh c'mon.. I just finished like thousand drawings for my new portfolio and I was so hungry, I could't wait forever until you're home to cook me something edible by your standard. Oh! I added an egg so it wasn't that unhealthy."

"What portfolio? You mean your unsaleable s that later will only accumulate dust in the shelf?" She tuts, very much irritated by how messy the whole room appears. 

"You could've went with fruits or salad, I've left tons of them on the fridge. Do you know an instant noodle contains loads of preservatives and is nothing but source of empty calories ripped off all nutrition..."

"Okay, okay, say no more!" Jisoo cuts in, feeling offended with the insult towards her artworks. "I swear I'll never stock up instant things anymore in this house!" 

But the simple promise doesn't end their argument, if anything, Jiae suddenly snaps. "What's with that tone? You're angry with me because I'm concerned about your health? You think I'm an overbearing, control freak girlfriend?!" The mug is put back down onto the table with loud thud, its content now actually splattered to few of Jisoo's drawings.

"When did I ever say that?" Jisoo is staring, eyes wide with alarm.

"Your face said it all!" The older woman spats.

"Now that doesn't even make sense." Jisoo raises to her feet, both hands in the air expressing exasperation. "Why do you have to make everything so difficult it's just an instant noodle for god sake! You're so frustrating!"

"There you said it! If I'm too hard to handle for you, then let's just break up! That's all you want isn't it? You've been looking forever for a reason to get away from me anyway, so now you're free to go!" 

"Jiae-ah!" But Jiae's finger is unflinchingly pointing the direction of her exit.

"I've had enough of headache from work today so I don't want to hear anything anymore. Go!"

——————— 

When the clock strikes midnight, the bell of Yein's residence rings.

"Hi." Jisoo grins sheepishly when the dark haired girl finally shows up, leaning against the doorframe with annoyed sleepy face.

"The heck do you want from me?" 

"So I was in sorta fight with Jiae.." Jisoo explains simply, doing the best impersonation of a pitiful kicked puppy. "And I was wondering if I can crash here for a night? Or maybe two?"

"Really, Jisoo unnie? On her birthday night?"

"It's her birthday?" Jisoo asks back, and Yein squints at the older woman in disbelief - her expression screams you're an idiot.

"Come on in." She pulls the door wider to let her friend enter. "Don't you dare sneaking into my room, the last thing I would want is for you to disturb my sleep with snores. Your place is there with Tzuyu, understand?" 

Jisoo turns to the direction of couch where Yein is pointing at. There, Tzuyu meows from the fluffy cushion where she's lying comfortably, shooting the most unwelcoming glare at her, come here and I'll scratch you to death.

And that's pretty much what the white cat does all night; scrutinizing its prey from the corner of the room, waiting for right time to pounce on the intruder's face so the feline could get the couch and fleece blanket all for itself again. This is unbelieveable, she just got kicked her out of the house by her own girlfriend, and now animal she loves the most on earth also doesn't accept her. It's like everything in life that can go wrong, does go wrong on this very moment.

Jisoo ends up not sleeping until first crack of dawn the next morning comes into her vision through slightly opened curtain. Not long after, Yein also wakes up, being part of local TV channel crews demands her to be an early bird.

"Yein-ah!" Jisoo calls out loud, voice shrill and whiny. "Am I really not allowed to stay in your room? This cat is a menace I couldn't close my eyes even for one second!" She jumps down the couch, following the younger around as she starts morning routine, making coffee and breakfast.

"Tell me." Yein says, promptly ignoring Jisoo's request. "What was you arguing about with Jiae unnie?" 

"She got mad because I ate ramyun." Hell. What a cool reason for some lovers argument.

"She did?" Yein stops awhile to turn at Jisoo, before resuming picking two plates from a cabinet.

"Yeah, y'know, she's sort of a... Health freak." Jisoo shrugs. "And neat freak too. Clean freak. She's just freak!"

"Well but now think about it again, I was at fault too. Really. She was exhausted with all the stress her work gave, I should've not made her angry." She continues. Her head hangs low in guilt.

They move to the couch, Jisoo is still animatedly explaining the details of her fight with Jiae last night. While listening, Yein sets two cups of coffee and two plates of bacon and egg down on the table, then proceeds to pour generous amount of kibble into Tzuyu's bowl. In five minutes, breakfast preparation is completed, and three of them begin to eat in peace.

"So you've figured the solution for your problem, right? Just go home and apologize. Jiae unnie wouldn't nag if she didn't care."

"I know." Jisoo pouts, stabbing her last piece of bacon with fork numerous times but doesn't put it inside . "But I think it's better if I stay away from her for few more days, giving her some space to cool off.."

"Mhm." Yein hums. "If you want to stay here, it's up to you. But just so you know, the more things get prolonged, the harder your situation would become, so..."

"Aww. Thank you! I promise will try not to disturb you too much!" Jisoo instantly lightens up, smile as bright as morning sun outside the window. "Hey. Can you hold me for awhile?"

"Oh Jisoo unnie, you silly, since when you'd started thinking you need permission to hug me." 

Jisoo lurches forward right away to Yein's open arms.

"There, there. Don't be sad anymore, my friend." Yein softly her back. It's comfortable, a heart-warming sort of feeling that Jisoo misses so much. Damn, she can't remember when was the last time someone held her like that, the only thing that comes to mind is just how sour her relationship has turned to be.

"I'm grateful I have friend like you, Yein-ah."

"Your sweet mouth still won't make me let you sleep in my room, okay? Stick with Tzuyu here."

They stay like that for a few moments longer; both of them laughing, Jisoo burying her head deeply in the crook of Yein's neck, hot puff of breath tickling the younger's skin— until they hear unmistakable sound of something thumping by the door which had left unlocked since last night, and bubbly smiles fade right away at the sight of their guest who's sporting icy expression.

"Jiae??"

——————— 

"Jiae-ah! Wait, listen, there's big misunderstanding here!" Sounds of clacking heels and squealing rubber slipper reverberate throughout empty corridor as Jisoo chases her girlfriend.

She finally gets hold of Jiae's shoulders, turning them around so the woman would look at her - only to receive a slap across her face. "It was stupid of me for feeling all guilty and worried! Bet you had fun with Jung Yein all night long, eh?"

"Jiae, please." Jisoo doesn't stop despite throbbing ache on her cheek. Doesn't care even if she seems really desperate now. "You know me and her are nothing but best friend. Am I not allowed to hug my friend?"

"You think I'm blind? You were clearly feeling her up!" Jiae's words are sharp. Hearing them, Jisoo's patience starts to running low again. 

"You are blind, because I did not and will never do such thing with Yein!"

"We are over, Seo Jisoo! You can do whatever you like, eat whatever you want with her, I don't give a ! I hope you two will be happy until death from cholesterol or cancer do you part!"

"YAH!" Jisoo shouts. First time ever for her to shout at the older woman. "You're free to hit me or curse all you want but if you dare talk like that about my friend, I'll be seriously angry!"

Jiae only scoffs arrogantly. "Go on and be angry! Like I'd care about that!" She walks off, waving her hand. "I'll send away all your stuff as soon as possible! Let's never meet each other anymore!"

"Remember this, Yoo Jiae! If you keep this behaviour of yours, I'm soooo very sure no one would be able to stand being with you forever!"

Jiae doesn't look back. She keeps walking, faster and faster. Until she arrives on the parking lot in basement. Until she's seated down inside her car - and only then she sees her own reflection on the rear-view and realizes it. 

She has tears b on her eyes.

———————