Intro II: Impressions

Miscalculations and Missed Shots

The last bell rang, indicating that it was the last class of the day and everyone could go home, except for those who needed after school classes and the student body who had many things to do.

Mingyu got jostled awake from his half asleep state and shook his head to clear up his vision. The last class was literature and the teacher was explaining about something, Mingyu didn't even bother to pay attention to what that something was.

Everyone greeted the teacher in unison before the teacher walked out of the classroom. Soon the students emptied the classroom, walking outside in a wave of people. They probably longed for their beloved bed at home. Some must be rushing to go somewhere else with friends or their significant other. For the tall guy, he had a basketball practise to attend everyday after school ended.

Mingyu made his way through the once again bustling hallway. He had his mind wandering elsewhere, but his feet was on automatic mode as they took Mingyu across a familiar path to the basketball field. Soonyoung was nowhere to be found this time. But it's usually because he arrived first at the field on Mondays, since his last class was closer to the field.

When Mingyu arrived at the field, however, he could only find Jeonghan on the side bench watching Seungcheol playing one on one against another guy in the basketball team, Junhui.

Wen Junhui was his name. He's Chinese and he's in the same year as Mingyu, but they didn't share any class together.

Mingyu walked closer to Jeonghan as Junhui scored a three-point which made Seungcheol curse.

"Where's Soonyoung?" Mingyu asked as soon as he sat down beside Jeonghan.

"Don't know, just not here yet. Why'd you ask?" Jeonghan replied.

"He's usually here before me on Mondays," Mingyu said.

"Probably got held up by Mr. Jang." Jeonghan shrugged.

Mingyu hummed in acknowledgement before he stood up and stripped out of his school uniform to reveal a set of their school's basketball jersey underneath. The back of it was written with a "Kim" in capslock and a large number two under it.

He then started doing a few sets of stretching. While doing so, a few more people started coming to the field. There was Park Jimin from senior year and Jeon Jungkook from sophomore year. A few minutes after that Chwe Hansol Vernon walked into the field with Boo Seungkwan beside him. They were from freshman year. The two were bestfriends and Seungkwan seemed like a loyal one that would wait for Hansol everytime the latter had basketball practise.

Kwon Soonyoung was still nowhere to be found and Mingyu started wondering if Soonyoung was ditching. Mingyu was about to reach for his cellphone in his bag when a loud voice greeted everyone in the basketball field with a cheery "Hello everyone!"

Mingyu turned his head just in time to see Soonyoung skipping merrily with a quite familiar figure trailing behind.

"Who's that?" Junhui asked in the middle of trying to pass the ball to Jimin.

"Wonwoo!" Seungcheol called at the same time.

Mingyu recognised the figure as the new guy Soonyoung talked about.

"How do you know that, Seungcheol hyung? He was supposed to be my new friend first!" Soonyoung said, stopping in his steps.

"We attended the same middle school," Seungcheol said.

Wonwoo waved at Seungcheol and the latter smiled.

Mingyu approached the two newcomers with the curiosity still intact from before. When Mingyu was in front of Wonwoo, he offered a hand and Wonwoo immediately took it.

"Hello, I'm Kim Mingyu," the taller one introduced himself.

"Jeon Wonwoo," was the curt reply from the new guy.

Mingyu beamed a smile which was replied with Wonwoo doing the same, just that it was only a ghost of a smile.

'He seems shy,' Mingyu thought.

Up close, Mingyu could tell that Wonwoo did have a stoic face, but he believed that it was only the outer appearance. It was cute that Wonwoo was tall but not tall enough to be on Mingyu's level. He noticed the sharp eyes behind those round spectacles the older wore. He kept in mind that those eyes must be beautiful if Wonwoo ever decided to lose the glasses.

"Mingyu-ssi," Wonwoo called out.

"Yes?" Mingyu was woken up from his short observation. "And please, no formalities."

"Aren't you the one who fell in the cafeteria earlier?" Wonwoo asked almost innocently just out of curiosity.

Mingyu groaned as he heard Soonyoung laughing in the background. He didn't know if he should be flattered that Wonwoo took notice of him or embarrassed that Wonwoo knew it was him.

"That was embarrassing." Mingyu chuckled as he ushered Wonwoo to sit at the bench beside Jeonghan.

"Mingyu's whole existence is embarrassing," Soonyoung remarked.

Wonwoo blinked in what seemed to be a sort of amusement.

"Shut the hell up," Mingyu retorted.

He really wished that the ground would swallow Soonyoung whole. At the same time not really, because Soonyoung was the one who brought Wonwoo there and it felt right that they had met. Perhaps there was something special about the new guy.

(There was, Mingyu just hadn’t known that yet.)