Little Secret

Little Secret
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Yeri wrapped her sheets tighter around her shoulders when yet another thunderclap rattled her window. She drew her knees up to her chest and buried herself under her pillow. Yeri had been afraid of thunderstorms ever since she was little and usually was open about her fear. However, since joining Red Velvet she tried to hide her phobia; scared that the older members would make fun of her. She was already pressured to be mature with the large between the members. She didn’t want to be a baby so she succeeded in hiding her fear, not experiencing a bad storm. Until now.

Yeri fumbled for her phone in the tangled sheets. 1:04 a.m. She threw her phone back under the covers. I refuse to cry, I won’t cry.

Another clap of thunder roared with a bright flash of lightning. Yeri jumped out of her bed and stumbled with a muffled squeak. She shivered as she quickly scurried over to Joy’s side of the room. She shook Joy, trying to wake her, but the other girl was dead asleep. Her snores were as loud as the storm. Yeri considered slipping into bed beside Joy, but didn’t want to get kicked in the middle of the night.  

Sighing, Yeri grabbed the hoodie she stole from Wendy from her bed and timidly walked into the hallway, her heart racing. Maybe I’ll just hide in the living room for the night. Yeri quietly walked down the hallway of the Red Velvet dorm to the common room. She glanced at Wendy and Seulgi’s door, but continued tiptoeing. She didn’t want to bother them, they would the most about her fear. Yeri was almost to the living room when she saw light leaking out from underneath Irene’s door.

Yeri paused in front of her leader’s door. She didn’t want to bother Irene so late at night, but she was clearly awake. Yeri raised her knuckles to the door. She tapped the back of her knuckles lighting on the door, causing it to open slightly. Irene was propped up in bed with her glasses on, reading a novel.

“Unnie?” Yeri quietly murmured. Irene jumped a little and turned to her maknae with a wondering look. Yeri shyly continued, “I’m sorry to bother you, but-” Booming thunder cut her off. Yeri scrambled into Irene’s room, heart pounding. She was sure Irene could hear it. She felt her face turn red. Yeri started sniffling. She was embarrassed to have burst into Irene’s room and was even more embarrassed to tell her why she was there. She rubbed her nose, “I-I ah, can I...stay in here for a little?”

Irene looked at the girl, in her sleep shorts and Wendy’s hoodie. Her knees were slightly shaking and she can clearly see her watery eyes. Irene immediately marked her place in her book, threw the covers back and walked over to the younger girl. She wrapped her arms around her shoulders and pulled her close. She knew why Yeri was here. Irene had a hunch about Yeri’s phobia when they were watching the news earlier. She squirmed beside Irene when the forecast was broadcasted.

“Are you scared, Yeri-ah?” said Irene with a soft look. Yeri gave a small nod, and shrugged a bit. She wrapped her arms timidly around Irene’s waist. Lightning flashed through the window and Yeri jumped into Irene. The leader pulled Yeri closer, and pressed her forehead against Yeri’s. “It’ll be okay, darling. Do you want to stay with me?”

Yeri squeaked out a yes, face growing redder. She hadn’t expected Irene to suggest her to stay. In the past months, Yeri had slowly warmed up to Irene’s motherly ways. She was wary of her leader at first because of the large , but learned Irene’s intentions were only to care and help her. Irene ironed her school uniform for her, cooked breakfast for her and woke her up every morning. However, Yeri had never asked Irene for anything before.

Irene gently leaned away to pull the covers back on her bed. Irene guided Yeri by her shoulders, sat her on the bed and tugged on the hem of her hoodie. “Do you want to wear this?” Yeri shook her head. Irene told her to raise her arms and slipped the sweatshirt off of her, and neatly folded it on her desk. She gently pushed Yeri back onto the pillow and slipped into bed beside her.

Thunder rolled through the room and Yeri buried her nose into Irene’s shoulder. Irene immediately shifted Yeri closer to her chest, cradling her away from the storm. Yeri felt safer in Irene’s bed than her own. Her blankets were warm and her arms were even warmer. She melted into Irene.

Though the younger girl calmed down a bit and her sniffles subsided, she still jumped at every thunderclap. Yeri needed to sleep. She was exhausted from being on edge all night. Irene the younger girl’s hai

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter