Behind the Curtain, Over the Phone

Lifeline

Chanyeol was pissed but he didn't want to end the night with a fight with Kyungsoo so he immediately took his bag and quickly apologized to the person behind the counter for staying in their cafe without buying anything. As he went out of the cafe, Kyungsoo was already a few meters away from him and just when he's about to call him, he suddenly thought of secretly following him to his home. As to why, he didn't know yet. Something's telling him he needed to know more of his mentor this way because he's not the type to tell about his life to anybody anyway. So Chanyeol quietly followed Kyungsoo. He wore his black jacket and baseball cap he randomly brought that day. He went to the same bus Kyungsoo rode on and successfully sat on a chair a few rows behind him. Chanyeol noted how distracted Kyungsoo was, or rather drowned in his thoughts, such that he wasn't able to notice Chanyeol at all. The smaller guy slipped earphones into his ears and Chanyeol was even more grateful. After three bus stops, Kyungsoo went off first followed by two strangers then Chanyeol followed. He pretended to go to the opposite way where Kyungsoo headed and then went back to following him.

They entered a quiet village with average-looking houses. There were low-rise apartment buildings. They walked up a sloped street until Kyungsoo stopped in front of an old apartment building. It was already around 7PM and the whole building was still well lit by the apartment lights except for one unit. Chanyeol guessed that's where Kyungsoo lives but immediately doubted it when he remembered Kyungsoo lives with Luhan. Across that building was an empty dark lot and it was the perfect spot for Chanyeol to stay. He hid himself behind a post in that lot and waited for something to happen. 

That unit which was in total darkness a few minutes ago was now well lit. Chanyeol squinted to see if it's Kyungsoo standing by the window. Seems like the universe wanted to let Chanyeol know that it was indeed Kyungsoo in that unit when he went closer to the window to spread the white curtains covering its whole length. When he realized he won't see anything behind those curtains anymore but Kyungsoo's silhouette, he decided to stop the stalking and go home. But the moment he stepped away from the post he was hiding in, he noticed another silhouette behind the curtains in the same unit where Kyungsoo was. The man engulfed Kyungsoo into a tight hug, Chanyeol assumed as their silhouette became one. However, the hug was too quick as it seemed like Kyungsoo pushed the man away. Chanyeol's heart beat a little faster this time. There was no movement so he assumed both men were only talking. Chanyeol was glad but it was too early for him to conclude that the men in that unit we're not going to fight. Kyungsoo moved closer to the man and Chanyeol was sure Kyungsoo slapped the man's face. Kyungsoo continued to push him on his shoulders and the man just made a few steps back. Chanyeol wished he could hear their conversation so he'd know if Kyungsoo was angry, scowling, growling or if he's crying. The pushing stopped when the man caught Kyungsoo's hands. Chanyeol's eyes grew bigger and he moved one step forward as if ready to run to the building when the man aggressively pushed Kyungsoo away. It was strong as it seemed like Kyungsoo was about to fall but regained his balance. The man went closer to him and was pointing at him as if accusing him for something. And when he got closer, he slapped Kyungsoo left and right and even grabbed his hair. It was just a silhouette but Chanyeol was sure Kyungsoo was pleading for the man to stop when he raised his two hands right in front of the man's chest. . I can't just watch this. Should I call the police? Ah ! They won't be here in an instant. Chanyeol grabbed his phone and instead of dialing the police' number, he searched for Kyungsoo's name on his phonebook. When the other line rang, the pushing and slapping stopped and Kyungsoo's hair was released from the man's grasp. The man did not move but Kyungsoo rattled to go to where he left his phone.

"Hello?" Kyungsoo answered and Chanyeol was surprised with how normal Kyungsoo's voice was, as if nothing happened just now. He expected a shaky voice but it was plain normal.

"Uh... I- .. I just called to say sorry for what happened earlier." Chanyeol answered while staring at the window. Kyungsoo's back was facing the other man but he's walking nearer the smaller guy. 

"Ok. Is that all?" Kyungsoo was already facing the other man and it was as if he was being monitored by the other.

"Uhh... Are you having dinner with Luhan already?" This time, Chanyeol noticed Kyungsoo put his phone away from his ear but the line wasn't cut yet.

"Yes, we are. I hope you don't mind if I drop now." Kyungsoo's phone was on loud speaker. The man was indeed monitoring him.

"I'm sorry for disturbing you. Ha-have fun, enjoy your dinner." That didn't help Chanyeol to stop worrying because he wanted to say take care of yourself and don't get hurt but that just won't make sense because they're only having "dinner".

"Yes."

"Don't eat too much, you might end up sick and I won't see you tomorrow if that happens." Chanyeol didn't want to hang up.

"Yes, I won't."

"See you tomorrow!" Chanyeol hoped Kyungsoo would say yes but there was no response. There was only a hum on the other line.

"Good ni-..." The call was dropped and Chanyeol hissed. Despite that, Chanyeol kind of made the right decision to call him as the fight seemed to have ended after a few minutes of just plain conversation, no movement, and the man hugged Kyungsoo again. They walked far from the window, the lights turned off and Chanyeol couldn't figure out what was happening anymore. He hesitantly left the area after 15 minutes of staring at the dark unit. He set an alarm on his phone to call Kyungsoo in the morning to check if he's alive.

 

---

The next morning, Chanyeol woke up ahead of his alarm and he was already holding his phone. He waited for his alarm to go off as if that's the right time to call Kyungsoo. When his phone rang, he immediately stopped the alarm, went to his call history and called him.

It took three rings before Chanyeol heard an answer on the other line, "Hello?"

"Do Kyungsoo!"

"Park Chanyeol." And that confirmed Kyungsoo's still alive. Chanyeol finally breathed in relief.

"Hey good morning! See you in the office?" Chanyeol smacked his forehead when he realized that that shouldn't have been what he said first. They aren't that close to have very casual greetings like that in the morning. He could have asked if he's going to work early today or just apologized for calling so early in the morning to ask about something work-related - just anything to cover up his suspicious random call.

"Glad you called. Please tell the team I won't be able to go to work today. I'm not feeling well." 

"What???" Chanyeol's voice was a bit louder, he too was surprised. "Oh sorry, I didn't mean to shout at you." 

"Just tell them that please. I think I have an upset stomach."

"Are you okay? Didn't I tell you to not eat too much last night?"

"Just do me a favor, okay?"

"Is that all? Just an upset stomach?" Chanyeol wanted to ask if he's injured and how bad is it.

"Yes."

"Are you sure?"

"Yes."

"I can bring you some medicines if you want." Chanyeol didn't care if Kyungsoo would find him weird, he wanted to have an excuse to see him already.

"You don't know where I live and I'm not planning to tell you. Look, Chanyeol, I need to take a rest now." Chanyeol could hear Kyungsoo sounded tired.

"Alright. See you tomorrow then. Promise?"

"......Of course."  Chanyeol noticed the hesitation and uncertainty in Kyungsoo's response. As soon as Kyungsoo dropped the call, Chanyeol set back his alarm on for the next day to call Kyungsoo again and remind him of a promise he believed Kyungsoo made.