Language Study

It's You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N: I'm sorry for the wait! I've had a really bad week... but I think I'm slowly getting out of my slump? Anyway, I've gone back and fixed a chronology error in the previous chapter. It occurred to me that Luhan's and Jessica's departures probably wouldn't have happened yet, so I replaced the characters mentioned. Not really important, but I fixed it just in case one of y'all lowkey judged me for that moment of ignorance. ^^" Welp, here's the chapter you've kind of been waiting for! The YuTae is mainly near the end, but do enjoy whatever these dorks are doing in the meantime?

Just in case you guys find yourselves confused, there is a time skip between last chapter and this chapter by a few weeks. 

Yuta's head bangs against the desk as soon as the Korean teachers finally walk out of the room. "Oh my god," he moans pitifully. And people say Korean isn't difficult. I feel like my tongue and hand are going to fall off any minute now...

Can you practice your self-introduction, Yuta? Tell us your name, age, hometown, favorite color, favorite food, hobbies, goals...

What do you like about Korea, Yuta?

How do you like the others members, and the dorm, Yuta?

Can you name some of the objects around the room, Yuta?

Have you picked up any interesting words lately since the last time we met, Yuta?

Yuta considers himself a relatively smart boy. He knows that learning a language is part of becoming more cultured; it involves starting with the basics along with great practice and repetition. But honestly, it's so much work some days. He's been meeting with the Korean teachers every day for two hours since he arrived in Korea three weeks ago, yet they still ask him the same repetitive, uninteresting questions every time. 

Some people like predictable routines. Yuta isn't 'some people,' unfortunately.

Now, he doesn't mind the individual writing practices muchー Korean isn't too difficult to write compared to the various Japanese alphabetsー but the questions... those questions are the stuff of nightmares.

I'm going to ing lose my mind if one more person asks me about myself or my interests today, Yuta raves internally. He feels a slight tap on his shoulder and jolts, cursing violently in Japanese when his foot bangs against the table too strongly. "Yes?" he questions in annoyance, not bothering to look who tapped him because his foot aches like a at the moment. "If you're going to ask me how I am, please don't, okay? I'm fine, really. Great. Healthy. Not dead. Good."

"Someone's touchy. But I relate, bro. Seriously." Yuta looks up in surprise when Ten takes a seat next to him with a sigh. Thai boy is smiling and relatively happy-soundingー no shocker there, Yuta muses for a secondー but his flickering eyes and strained voice give away his exhaustion.

"You're out earlier than expected," Yuta comments lightly, leaning back in his seat. "Where's Hansol-hyung?"

Ten shrugs. "I think I finally annoyed the teachers enough for them to let me go early. I found out that if you keep answering with stupid, silly answers, they'll want to get away from you faster. As for Hansol-hyung, he's missing, as usual."

"What did you say to annoy them?" Yuta asks curiously. "Maybe I'll try next time."

At that, the younger boy pouts. "No, don't get done earlier," he whines. "I got here before you, but you're already better than me at Korean! I finally managed to finish at the same time as you, so don't leave me behind again!" Ten expresses dramatically.

Yuta merely raises an eyebrow at the theatrics, so Ten squints childishly and continues, "Anyway, I said 'microwave' was the beautiful new Korean word I learned recently. The teachers were so done with me." 

"Nice!" Ten smirks victoriously as Yuta bursts out in wild laughter. "Microwave!" Yuta cackles as if it's the funniest thing ever, and Ten soon joins him.

"Hello, you two." The two foreigners wince comically as Hansol's ghostly, rough voice comes out of nowhere a minute later. They quickly turn to see the elder entering from a side door; he looks tired, as well, but he's smiling gently and carrying three energy drinks in his large hands. "I saw the teachers in the hall while I was walking around, and they told me that you two would probably be together since you finished at the same time for once. I decided to treat you guys today," he explains softly, raising his full hands a bit.

Hansol's a difficult person to understandー his unusual way of speaking totally eludes the foreign trainees, and his mysterious personality and somewhat doll-like features make him come across as a bit unapproachable at times. Nonetheless, there's something magnetic about Hansol, as seen by the way Yuta and Ten excitedly greet him before jumping up from their seats and rushing to the gentle giant. Each pluck a drink from his hands and latch onto one of his arms. Then the trio starts to walk to a different part of the building. "How was your lesson, hyung?" the shorter boys question politely.

"Painful," Hansol mutters simply. "Speaking standard Korean still feels kind of awkward since I'm so used to using Busan dialect..."

Yuta unlatches himself from Hansol and opens his drink to take a sip. He silently observes a chatting Hansol and Ten as they walk ahead of him and drags his feet as he follows, his heart beginning to drop more with each step forward. Poor Hansol-hyung. I'm going to be in the same boat as him pretty soon, though... Yuta thinks nervously as he chugs the rest of his drink.

"Yuta, what're you going to do now?" Yuta almost chokes and spits as he is addressed suddenly by Hansol.

"What?" he stutters lamely. Way to sound sophisticated, Yuta. "I mean, what do you mean?"

Ten looks back and eyes him weirdly, but Hansol merely his head. "Don't you have a different schedule today?" he rephrases slowly. "Ten and I are regrouping with the others to start the new Japanese lessons, but after you see us off, what're you going to do in your free time?"

Oh, right. They don't know yet... . Yuta weakly smiles in response. "Well, you seeー"

"Hi, guys!" Johnny calls obnoxiously from across the hall. He, Doyoung, Jaehyun, Taeil, and Taeyong are making a beeline for Yuta and his two companions. "How were Korean lessons? I'm glad they don't make me go every day anymore," the American chortles as they all meet up again.

"They were alright. How was public speaking?" Yuta regrets asking when he sees a displeased frown

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter