Of Songs and Crooked Bowties

Of Songs and Crooked Bowties

 

“Come on, we’re already late !” His mom shouted from outside.

 

“Yes, yes, mom I’m coming.” Jinki shouted back with a sigh, tying his bowtie in a rush to be on time.

 

He was a grown man - almost thirty now - , and yet he was still scolded like a kid by his mom whenever he did something wrong. He knew telling everyone to meet in the same place before the wedding so they could go together was a bad idea.

 

Today was his brother’s wedding day. Taemin had been dating Jonghyun for a couple of years now and they had been more than happy together. Jonghyun had proposed to Taemin about six months ago and the big day was finally here.

 

Now don’t get Jinki wrong. He loved his brother to death and he was genuinely happy for him. He just didn’t really like attending weddings. It wasn’t because of the ceremony or anything, it was just that Jinki had been a confirmed bachelor for a few years now and both his parents and his friends kept rubbing it in his face at whatever chance they got.

 

Yes, he had been single for a while. But there was nothing wrong with that. His last relationship has ended in an ugly break-up and he just wasn’t sure love was for him anymore.

 

He walked down the stairs and met his parents in the car before heading to the wedding. It was organized in the outskirts of town, in a villa’s private park that belonged to one of Jonghyun’s friends. His family had always been very wealthy and budget had never been a problem for them. Although apparently, one of Jonghyun’s friends had wanted to plan the whole thing and they hadn’t hired a wedding planner. Surprisingly, it seemed Jonghyun’s friend had done a good job. When they arrived, the place looked spotless, with pretty flowers everywhere and neatly set tables. It wasn’t too much - like it often was at weddings - and the place truly looked beautiful.

 

They rushed to the place where the ceremony was supposed to take place and heaved a relieved sigh when they noticed that people were just beginning to sit down. The man presiding the ceremony was standing underneath a beautiful large flower arch, waiting for everyone to be ready. A white piano was placed on the right, one of Jonghyun’s friend sitting on the bench as he waited for the moment when he would have to play the famous wedding march.

 

“Hey, hyung.”

 

Jinki turned to see Minho and suddenly felt relieved to see a familiar face in the crowd of strangers gathered to attend the wedding that day. Minho was a friend of Taemin’s and himself, and he naturally had been one of the first person Taemin had invited.

 

“Hey, Minho.” He said with a smile before giving his friend a brief hug. Minho noticed the relieved expression on his face and chuckled.

 

“Come on, hyung. Breathe. It’s just a wedding. You’ll survive this.” He said as he gave a pat on his shoulder.

 

Minho was probably the only person he knew who wasn’t constantly trying to set him up with people. It felt nice to have a conversation that didn’t revolve around his love life.

 

“I know, I’m just… I’m not that eager to hear people talk about why I’m still single at thirty.”

 

“You can hang out with me and Sooyoung if you want.” Minho suggested, sending a look to his girlfriend standing a few feet away, chatting with other people.

 

“Nah, it’s alright. Besides, you’ll probably want to introduce yourself to people and all. I don’t want to be a burden.”

 

“Oh come on hyung-”

 

“Alright everyone !” Someone shouted. “The ceremony’s about to start so no talking and no standing around like a bunch of lost puppies. Oh for god’s sake ! Mrs Kim, sit down !”

 

Minho chuckled and Jinki did a double take when his eyes fell on the young man scolding everyone. He had dark hair - which he kept touching even though they were neatly parted to the side, Jinki noticed -, delicate features, the clearest and softest-looking skin ever and gorgeous feline eyes. Jinki felt his heart skip a beat at the sight. He was pretty sure he was the most gorgeous man he had ever laid his eyes on.

 

He felt someone shake his arm and he got back to his senses to see Minho throwing him a amused look.

 

“You have to sit with your parents, hyung. The front row.”

 

“Oh. Right. Thanks.” He said with a small smile before going to sit in his designated seat. His mother smiled at him with teary eyes and he fought back a laugh at how emotional she was being before the ceremony had even begun. His father was nowhere to be seen but he was probably with Taemin. Both he and Jonghyun needed a parent to walk down the aisle with.

 

Once everyone was in place, the pianist started playing and Jonghyun walked in first, holding his mother’s arm with a big smile on his face. She looked so tiny next to him - and that was something because Jonghyun was the smallest guy he knew -, and she was looking at her son with a proud look in her eyes. They stopped before the man presiding the ceremony and Jinki’s eyes naturally went to the beautiful man standing next to Jonghyun. He turned around as discreetly as possible to face Minho sitting on the row behind them.

 

“Who’s the guy next to Jonghyun ?” He whispered.

 

“That’s Jonghyun’s best man. Kibum. He’s his best friend since childhood.” Minho whispered back with an amused glint in his eyes. Jinki was about to ask something else when his mother slapped his arm in a scolding manner.

 

“Hush now ! No talking during the ceremony.” She said with a frown as she glared at them.

 

Taemin walked down the aisle at his father’s arm and smiled at his future husband standing by the arch. Taemin looked good. Better than he’d ever looked, in fact. He was wearing a black tuxedo - the same as Jonghyun’s - and his black hair framed his face perfectly. When he stopped by Jongin - his best man -, a few tears started running down Jonghyun’s cheeks and the beautiful man had to give him tissues. Taemin was still smiling happily, a bit amused by his fiance’s emotional display. Typical Taemin.

 

The ceremony went on without a hitch, and by the time Taemin and Jonghyun were telling vows to each other, half of the crowd was crying from emotion. Jonghyun was almost sobbing when he heard Taemin’s unusually cheesy vows, and his gorgeous best man was holding out a box of tissues for him. Jinki smiled when the feline-eyed man grabbed a few tissues for himself. He made the most adorable expressions.

 

“You may kiss the br- er, the groom.” The guy said, and there was a laugh going through the crowd at his stuttering. Jonghyun’s pretty best man sent the guy a glare, but the latter just shrugged.

 

The small mistake was quickly forgotten when a crying Jonghyun jumped in Taemin’s arms to kiss him. The crowd’s reaction was diverse. Some people whistled, some cheered and clapped, others let out an audible ‘aww’ at the scene, and some even did all three. Jinki was just clapping with a happy smile. His brother was smiling like never before, and he felt his heart swell with happiness at the sight. Taemin hadn’t had it easy in the past - often sleeping around and hanging out with bad people -, but he had finally left all of that behind and he deserved to be happy.

 

They were still kissing, like they were unaware of the whole crowd cheering right before them, and when Jonghyun looked up at Taemin with that look of pure admiration and love, Jinki felt a little pang in his heart. Will I ever find someone who would look at me like that ?

 

“Alright you two erts, save some for your honeymoon. People are watching !” Jonghyun’s pretty best man said and people laughed.

 

Jinki felt someone tug at his sleeve and he noticed Minho’s worried eyes. He quickly got back to his senses and smiled. It came out a little awkward and probably a little fake, but luckily Minho didn’t notice. Or if he did, he didn’t comment. Jinki was thankful for it, because if there was one thing he didn’t want to do, it was to ruin his brother’s wedding with his bad mood.

 

Okay, maybe he wasn’t as okay with being single as he was letting out. The thing was that his previous relationship had been so toxic that it had left him feeling bad about himself, and seeing his brother and his husband so happy together was like a reminder of something he would probably never have. He just had never been very lucky when it came to love.

 

They proposed a toast for the new married couple and everyone stood by the buffet, a cup of champagne in their hand as Jonghyun and Taemin’s closest friends and parents said a few words. Jinki said something as well, of course, and his brother nodded at him with a smile as a small thanks. When it was done, everyone moved to their respective tables. He was searching for the table he was supposed to sit at, when someone grabbed his arm.

 

When he turned around, he was faced with the feline-eyed beauty he had been staring at for the entire ceremony. His whole body stiffened at the unexpected proximity and Jonghyun’s best man let go of his hand to reach for his bowtie. His hair smelled sweet - like apples - but his cologne smelled stronger. Weirdly enough, it kinda matched. He smelled nice.

 

God, why was he noticing the way the guy smelled-

 

“Sorry about that.” He said with a small smile, never tearing his eyes away from the bowtie as he tried to tie it correctly. “Your bowtie is all crooked and that’s not how it should be.”

 

“Oh.” Jinki said softly. He didn’t really know what to say, but when the beautiful man looked up to glare at him, Jinki thought he probably should have said something.

 

“I know what you’re thinking and no, I don’t have OCD.”

 

“Oh I wasn’t- I never-”

 

“I just want everything to be perfect.”

 

“Well, everything can’t be like you.”

 

The words had slipped from his lips before he had time to think it through and when the beauty raised an eyebrow at him, he felt his face heat up.

 

“B-because, you- you’re perfect and... Nevermind.” He said before running away to somewhere he could hide from embarrassment for the rest of the night. When Minho found him an hour later, he was hiding behind a tree with a cigarette in his hand.

 

“What are you doing there ?” The taller man asked with a small chuckle.

 

“Smoking.”

 

“You’ve been there smoking for the past hour ?”

 

Of course he hadn’t, but he didn’t want Minho to know that the real reason why he was hiding was because he had used a lame pick-up line on the most beautiful man he had ever met and ran to hide his embarrassment.

 

“...Yes.”

 

“Hyung, that’s just really bad for your lungs.” He said in a serious voice, before saying in a lighter tone. “Taemin’s looking for you.”

 

“Where is he ?” Jinki said as he put out his cigarette on an ashtray he had stolen from one of the tables.

 

“With your parents.”

 

Jinki groaned and thanked him before joining Taemin and the others. They were all standing by their table, with Jonghyun and his family. He walked to them and they all smiled widely when they noticed him. He felt a bit anxious upon seeing all of their eyes on him but took a deep breath.

 

“Well, it’s about time !” His mother exclaimed. “We’ve been looking for you ! Where were you ?”

 

“Hiding.” Taemin said playfully, holding Jonghyun’s waist.

 

“I was just smoking.”

 

“Oh, you should stop with that horrible habit ! Think about your voice !”

 

“Leave the man be, honey.” His father said, chuckling. “You can’t scold him like you would a teenager anymore now can you ?”

 

“Oh really ? Watch me.” She said with a snort.

 

“Alright, alright.” Taemin stepped in, playful. “He can smoke all he wants as long as he can still sing for us like he promised.”

 

“Don’t worry Tae, I will.”

 

“So Taemin has been telling us a lot about you.” Jonghyun’s mother said with a gentle smile. “You’re a very kind man, it’s such a shame that you’re still single.”

 

Great. This was exactly the kind of conversation he had been avoiding all day.

 

“Can you believe it ? Almost thirty and still single !” His own mother said.

 

“What I cannot believe is how Taemin got married before him.” His father said, while his mother nodded in agreement. Jinki tried to fight back a sigh and he saw Taemin mouthing a ‘sorry’ while their parents weren’t looking. He mouthed back a ‘it’s alright’ before Jonghyun cleared his throat.

 

“Hey ! Why don’t you sing for us now ?” He said, trying to put an end to the very unpleasant conversation. He was so glad Taemin had chosen to marry someone as sweet as Jonghyun. The man was an angel.

 

“Yeah, why not ?” He said, giving Jonghyun a thankful look before rushing to the small band on the stage before the families could say something else.

 

The stage wasn’t very high, but he could still see the whole area from where he was. He had to admit, whoever was in charge of the decoration did a very nice job. It was dark outside now and there were candles lit on each table, giving a nice atmosphere to the whole place. There were pretty lanterns hanging around to separate the area for the wedding from the rest of the park. The whole decorations gave a romantic vibe to the place.

 

He cleared his throat and tapped on the mic to get people to listen.

 

“Hi, I’m- I’m Jinki, Taemin’s brother, and I promised I’d sing a song for the newlyweds so… here it is.”

 

He gave a nod to the pianist and the guy started playing the song he had told him about before the ceremony. The other musicians followed, and Jinki started singing. Everyone fell silent, listening carefully. Jinki noticed Taemin and Jonghyun slow dancing in the center of the dancefloor. A few other couples were dancing, while others were just listening silently. During the bridge, his eyes fell on a slim silhouette standing alone on the dancefloor, motionless. A gorgeous dark-haired man dressed in a fancy suit. Kibum, Jonghyun’s best man. The dim lights of the lanterns were giving his pretty features a nice glow, and… was that a tear rolling down his cheek ?

 

Jinki didn’t stop singing until the song was over, and when he did people cheered and clapped. He was about to leave the stage when someone rushed to the edge and raised his hand at him.

 

“Can you sing another one ?” The feline-eyed man asked. When he noticed Jinki’s hesitation, he spoke again. “Please.”

 

“What do you want me to sing ?” He asked softly.

 

“W-well…” He said, blushing slightly. “I haven’t thought that far… Just sing another one.”

 

He looked at the beautiful man and smiled at how cute he looked like that, with his pink cheeks and his fingers fiddling with his sleeves.

 

“Alright.”

 

The other smiled softly and blushed some more, and Jinki noticed his dimples for the first time. He wondered how someone could look this adorable so effortlessly.

He walked up to the musicians and asked what the songs they knew to see if there was another one he could sing. Luckily, there was one. He walked back to the mic and tapped it.

 

“Hi again. Someone asked for another song so…” He looked down at the man standing near the stage. “I hope you enjoy.”

 

He started singing again, and everyone fell silent once more. People were probably watching him from the tables, or slow dancing on the dancefloor, but he couldn’t be sure. He only had eyes for the beauty standing by the stage, his gorgeous feline eyes looking up at him with a soft look in his eyes. And for a moment he lost himself in the song and in those eyes, because he was sure no one had ever looked at him like that before.

 

When the song ended, everyone clapped and cheered and the charm was broken. He stepped down the small stage and the man grabbed his arm. He whispered a small ‘thank you’ and pecked Jinki’s cheek. His lips were soft against his cheek and Jinki’s eyes widened at the unexpected gesture. The man smiled before leaving, and Jinki was left motionless, except for his arm as he raised his hand to touch his cheek.

 

When he got back to his senses, he walked to the table he was supposed to sit at and ate peacefully with the others. After a while, people stopped eating and all started dancing, and he was left alone at his table, poking his food thoughtfully.

 

“Is this seat taken ?” Someone asked, and when Jinki looked up it was to see the beautiful man he had been thinking about all evening.

 

“Oh, no it’s not.” He said, straightening himself on his chair. The other sat next to him and put a bouquet of flowers down on the table in front of him. Jinki wondered why he was wandering around with flowers but he kept quiet. Unfortunately, the man seemed to be able to read him like an open book.

 

“I caught it.”

 

“I thought Taemin and Jonghyun didn’t want to toss a bouquet.”

 

“They didn’t. But the girls thought it was unfair because it’s tradition so they stole flowers from the decorations lying around and made one. Jonghyun had to toss it.”

 

“And... you caught it ?”

 

“Why would the girls have all the fun ? Besides, it’s tradition.” He said, looking down at the bouquet. “And the married couple are guys, so it’s only fair a guy catches the bouquet.”

 

“I guess you’re going to get married soon.” Jinki said, and the other snorted.

 

“I’d have to have a boyfriend first. Which I don’t.”

 

“Y-yeah… Me neither.” He said, looking down at his plate. “Everyone says I should be married by now. And it’s even worse now that Taemin is.”

 

There was a moment of silence.

 

“Did you mean it ?”

 

Jinki looked up with a frown.

 

“What ?”

 

“When you said I was perfect.” He clarified, his face unreadable. “Did you mean it ?”

 

“Why are you asking ?” Jinki asked, curious.

 

“Well I have to get married pretty soon so it’s about time I start searching for a decent boyfriend.” He said, suddenly playful.

 

Jinki chuckled and Kibum smiled.

 

“Who says I’m decent ?”

 

“You look like a good guy.”

 

“Well, it seems that most people like bad guys.”

 

Taemin was the living proof of this. He was a four years younger than him and he was already married, while Jinki wasn’t even close to having a boyfriend. His brother’s bad boy looks had always been a magnet for people; he had been in a greater number of relationships than Jinki. True, his relationships hadn’t always been for love, but he still attracted more people than Jinki ever did.

 

“I’m not most people, am I ?”

 

“No, you’re not.” Jinki said seriously, lowering his head so he couldn’t see the disappointed look on the other’s face. “But… I don’t think it’d work.”

 

“Why not ?”

 

“I’m not very lucky when it comes to love.”

 

“Maybe it’s because you haven’t found the right person yet.” Jinki smiled weakly. He had heard that sentence so many times before. People keep telling him that, but he didn’t think they believed it. There was just something wrong with him, something that made him unable to be loved. “But I think it’s your lucky day.”

 

Jinki looked up, confused, and the beautiful man stood up and grabbed his hand in his.

 

“Come on, dance with me.” He said expectantly. “Do you want to ? Or were you lying when you said I was perfect ?”

 

One look at the beautiful man and Jinki knew he was done for. He shook his head and the other smiled. His smile was one of the most beautiful things Jinki had ever seen in his life, and even if there was no way a guy like him would ever love Jinki, he still wouldn’t waste the occasion to dance with someone like him.

 

When stopped on the dancefloor, and the man wrapped his arms around Jinki’s shoulders. His breath hitched and his heart missed a beat at the sudden proximity. He awkwardly wrapped his arms around the other’s waist and pulled him closer.

 

“My name’s Jinki.” He said as they danced.

 

“I know.” Jinki frowned at that and the other rolled his eyes. “Before you sang you said you were ‘Taemin’s brother, Jinki’.”

 

“Oh. Right.” He said, chuckling awkwardly.

 

“I’m Kibum.”

 

“I know.”

 

The beautiful man raised an eyebrow and smiled mischievously.

 

“Oh ? And how do you know that, exactly ? I don’t remember introducing myself publicly.”

 

“I saw you standing next to Jonghyun during the ceremony and I asked a friend.”

 

“Why did you ask ? Did I catch your eye ?” He said with a mischievous glint in his feline eyes. Jinki smiled.

 

“You did.” He admitted.

 

“Because I’m perfect ?”

 

“Because you’re the most gorgeous man I’ve ever seen.” He said boldly. Kibum looked a bit shocked by the sudden showing of self-confidence and looked away, a blush on his cheeks.

 

Oh.” He said, looking down at Jinki’s suit, fiddling with something on his sleeve.

 

“Don’t worry. I know I don’t stand a chance.” Jinki said, suddenly serious. Kibum looked up with wide eyes, surprised. Jinki sighed and explained. “There’s just no way someone like you could love someone like me.”

 

“Why would you say that…”

 

“Come on, look at you… You’re… And I’m just… me. Pathetic thirty-year-old Lee Jinki who can’t get a date. You’re so gorgeous I bet you have tons of people at your feet.”

 

There was a flicker of sadness in Kibum’s eyes then, and Jinki wondered why.

 

“The thing is, most people are pretending.” He mumbled, looking down. “They pretend to love you and the minute they have what they want, they leave you like you’ve never even mattered a little.”

 

“What ?” Jinki breathed out incredulously. “How could they… ?”

 

He would kill to date someone as beautiful as him, and other people dared leaving him after taking what they wanted ? Were people really that stupid not to hang onto a treasure like him ? Were they really that cruel to make him believe he was loved, and then toss him like he was nothing but trash ? The mere thought made his blood boil.

 

“You know… For someone who’s dated as much as I have, I certainly don’t have a clue of what real love feels like…” He said sadly, as a single tear rolled down his cheek. “To be honest, I don’t really like weddings. It’s just painful to watch other people rub their happiness in my face.”

 

“I know the feeling…” He admitted. “I was watching the way Jonghyun was looking at Taemin today and all I could think about was-”

 

“-how good it’d feel if someone ever looked at me like that.” Kibum completed.

 

“Yes.” Jinki said, as their eyes met in understanding. And in that moment they both could see, how love had scarred the both of them the same way, although in different circumstances.

 

“Do you believe in fate ?” Kibum asked softly, his face once again unreadable.

 

“No.” Jinki answered. “But I think sometimes, people end up at the right place at the right time.”

 

“Like today.” Kibum said with a small smile.

 

“Like today.” Jinki repeated, smiling back at him.

 

The music ended and someone announced at the mic that it was time to cut the cake. People cheered when a huge three-tiered wedding cake was brought in the center of the tables. Everyone walked closer to see the newlywed couple cut the cake, ready to cheer and take pictures once it was done. Jinki felt someone take his hand and he knew without looking that it was Kibum.

 

“I’m not as perfect as you think, by the way.” He whispered in Jinki’s ear as they watched the cake being cut.

 

“Because you have OCD ?” He teased in a whisper, and Kibum hit him on the arm. He rubbed his arm with a pout, faking to be hurt and Kibum rolled his eyes.

 

“You’re an idiot.”

 

“I know. That’s what my mom keeps telling me although I’m a grown man.”

 

“Yeah well, maybe she’s right.”

 

“I never said she wasn’t.”

 

Before they even had the time to say something else, it started raining heavily. Kibum gasped beside him and everyone started running towards the villa, desperate to avoid the heavy rain soaking everything. There was a chuckle over the unhappy grumblings of the crowd and when everyone left, Jinki noticed Jonghyun and Taemin both standing by the now ruined wedding cake, laughing.

 

“I don’t get it !” Kibum shouted so he could hear him over the rain. “I checked the weather twice and they said it wouldn’t rain ! This is a disaster ! The tables, the cake-”

 

“Isn’t it good luck though ?” Jinki shouted back, smiling even though he feels the rain running down his face and soaking his clothes.

 

“But it’s pouring all over us ! Come on, we need to get inside !” He said, pulling Jinki by the hand, but the older wouldn’t move. “What are you doing ?!”

 

“It’s not a disaster for everyone.” He said, pointing at the married couple kissing in the rain by their soaking wedding cake, as if nothing mattered.

 

“They just got married ! Of course they’re happy !” Kibum complained, still pulling Jinki towards the villa so they could get under the roof. He heard him mumble a small ‘cheesy idiots’ as they walked further away from the newlyweds.

 

When they got inside, they were soaked to the bone and they both shivered at the cold feeling. Jinki took off his vest and put it on the back of a chair. Kibum stayed like that, hugging himself in his wet clothes.

 

“You’ll get sick if you keep your wet clothes on.”

 

“Are you worrying about me ?”

 

“Maybe.”

 

They both turned towards the huge windows and stared at the married couple still kissing in the rain.

 

“If true love means kissing in the rain then I’m not sure I want it.” Kibum said, still staring outside.

 

“I do.” Jinki said, glancing at the other for a while. His face was still wet and there were small drops of water running to his heart-shaped lips. His button nose was a bit red and his hair were wet and all over the place. “You look pretty in the rain.”

 

Kibum rolled his eyes, but he was blushing.

 

“I think you’ve been spending too much time with Jonghyun and Taemin.” Jinki chuckled at that. “But I’m willing to forget about your lame cheesiness if you give me your number.”

 

Jinki looked at him with wide eyes and the other looked at him, unfazed.

 

“I don’t care what you say, I still want to try.” He explained, his eyes going back to the window. “Besides, I still have to find myself a boyfriend quickly so I can get married, you know. I caught the bouquet, after all.”

 

Jinki chuckled, and he thought that yes, maybe he could give love another try.

 

..............................................................................................................................................................................................................

 

Hi everyone ! :D ♥

I forgot to mention that the friend who planned the wedding is actually Kibum... Oops. Well, now you know.

Also, I imagined Jinki singing 'In Your Eyes' for the first song (^-^)

Did you like it ? :D Please, I want to know what your thoughts are on this. A little comment ? ♥