Down the Hall

The One and Only
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Down the Hall

            “I’m surprised you didn’t want to stay with your brother at the den instead,” I said, leading the way to the house beside the school.  It had taken us nearly fifteen minutes to get through the crowd and finally Leeteuk had just ordered the unmated omegas back to their house and the children back to the den before some semblance of order was restored and we were able to escape. 

            Kyuhyun gave me a bewildered look.  “They have twelve pups!”

            “Heechul claimed you liked children,” I only said.  “You teach.”

            “That doesn’t mean I want a dozen pups climbing on me when I’m trying to sleep!”

            “They’re family.”

            “They’re related to Heechul.  That’s a strong warning against staying in the same building as them.”

            I laughed.  “So are you,” I reminded him.

            “I didn’t claim I was any safer to live with,” he said, winking.

            I turned away and hurried up the stairs of the house, beginning to feel my cheeks warm and not liking the way I seemed to automatically react to the alpha’s subtle teasing.  We entered the large house and I quickly pointed out the kitchen and laundry room, off to the side, since we had entered through the back of the house.  Then I rushed upstairs, eager to get him to his room so I could be away from him again.  Unfortunately, there were no rooms available on the third floor, so I was going to have to put him on the second floor with me, but I made sure to put him all the way down the hall from me.

            “Here you are,” I said, opening the door to his room. 

            Kyuhyun barely glanced inside.  “Which room is yours?”

            “Why do you need to know where mine is?”

            Kyuhyun leaned against his door and grinned.  “In case I have questions.”

            I rolled my eyes.  “Last door on the right.”

            “Furthest away?”

            I shrugged my shoulders.

            “Which room is Yesung’s?”

            “He’s on the third floor.  Why?” I asked, narrowing my eyes.

            “Just wondering if you two were rooming together.  You looked so close as you were joining us.  I noticed you were holding hands,” the alpha pointed out. 

            I shook my head.  “He was dragging me along with him.”

            Kyuhyun’s brows rose at my explanation.
            “We’re just good friends.  He’s several years older than me.  He’s always taken care of me, since I was young.”

            “Does he know you’re just friends?”

            I walked away.  “I don’t owe you any explanations in the first place, I don’t know why I’m even bothering.”

            “That’s another good question…” the alpha began.

            I quickly rushed into my bedroom and slammed the door.  Then I locked it.  That probably wouldn’t stop an alpha if he was determined enough to enter, but at least he’d get the hint that we were done talking.  Why the hell was he asking me questions about Yesung?  There wasn’t anything going on between us.  Even if there was, would it matter?  It wouldn’t.  Would it?

 

            I wasn’t going to go to the banquet.  The last time I went to a banquet that Kyuhyun was at, we drank several bottles of white wine, danced all evening, and then stayed up until morning making love.  I felt confident that this banquet wasn’t going to top that.  In fact, I felt sure that this one would just be a huge disappointment in comparison.  So even when Yesung asked, I said no.  When he begged and pleaded, I became highly suspicious of the matter and asked him point blank why he wanted me to go so badly.  Heechul had threatened him if he didn’t bring me.  As much as I like him, I still wasn’t willing to go, even to spare him from Heechul’s wrath.

            I swore to my fellow teaching betas still left in the house that unless Leeteuk himself showed up and demanded I attend the banquet, I was staying home.

            Ten minutes later there was a knock on my bedroom door.  “Who the hell is it now?” I moodily asked, walking over to the door and swinging it open.  There stood the pack leader, looking tired and unamused.  “Good evening, Alpha Leeteuk.  How can I help you tonight?”

            “I need you to join the banquet so I can drink my damn wine in peace,” he informed me.

            I nodded.  “I’ll be right there.”

            “Thank you,” he said, heading back down the stairs. 

            Heechul really would stop at nothing to get his way.  I should have known better and just walked over with Yesung in the first place.

            I quickly changed and jogged over to the dining hall, which was roaring with noise from a great distance.  Just about every member of the pack must have been in attendance, but thankfully the hall was built for much greater numbers than our meager assembly and I managed to squeeze through the crowd, looking for Donghae and Eunhyuk.  I had every intention of joining them, but the moment Heechul and Saeun spotted me, they called for me and I felt obliged to walk over. 

            Heechul smacked me in the arm.  “We’ve been waiting half the night on you!”

            “I had exams to grade,” I told him.  It wasn’t a complete lie.  I had been grading exams when Leeteuk had come to fetch me. 

            “You’d rather grade papers than celebrate with the rest of your pack?” Saeun questioned, rocking one of her pups in her arms. 

            I shrugged my shoulders. 

            “In the meantime, my poor brother has been sitting at the table, pouting.  Kyuhyun was so depressed when Yesung arrived and said you weren’t coming—his only friend in his new pack—that he’s been ignoring everyone else since.  I had half a mind to send him back home, but then I decided just to have Teukkie go get you instead,” he said, latching onto my arm and dragging me towards the front of the room.

            “Where are you taking me?” I asked, suddenly panicking.

            “To his table!” Heechul said, as if it were the most obvious answer, nodding at people as he passed.

            “Why can’t he just talk to the omegas.  They’re all dying to meet him!”  It seemed a perfectly reasonable solution.

            “My Kyuhyunnie is shy and they’re all pressuring him,” Heechul said, stopping once we reached the head table.  “He likes you.”

            Kyuhyun’s whole face lit up the moment he looked up and saw me.  “You came!”

            “I was ordered to come by Alpha Leeteuk,” I complained, crossing my arms over my chest.

            “We saved you a spot, just in case,” Heechul said, sitting me down next to his brother. 

             At this point, I was starting to wonder about Heechul’s intentions and I stared at him a moment, thinking back to the beginning, when he’d first told me that his brother was coming to join our pack.  I wasn’t entirely sure if the lead omega knew my history with his brother or not, but one thing I was starting to question was whether he was trying to pair us together.  But why?  Clearly, he should be encouraging his brother to meet the omegas and mate with one of them.

             “Teukie, don’t let the kids run around like that right before they eat!” Heechul lectured his mate.  “They’ll get sick!”  And just like that, the head omega walked away and left us alone together again.

             “Some things never change,” Kyuhyun said.  “My brother always used to get his way…and he still does.  He has a very indulgent mate.”

            “Too indulgent,” I grumbled.

            “Is it such a bad thing to want to see the person you love most happy?” Kyuhyun questioned, reaching for the wine.  “Did you really stop drinking or should I pour you a glass?”

            “Pour me some.”

            Kyuhyun poured the wine glass half full.

            “More,” I said, waving my hand in front of the glass.

            “You’re going to get drunk,” Kyuhyun warned, setting the nearly empty bottle back down.

            “I sure hope so,” I said, picking up the glass and taking a generous couple gulps.  I really needed to calm my nerves. 

            “Don’t get drunk too quickly.  We’re performing musical entertainment after dinner,” Kyuhyun said.

            I sighed heavily.  “Do they want me to sing?”

            “You sing, too?” Kyuhyun asked, surprised.  “I just wanted you to play the piano for me while I sang.  Leeteuk thought Changmin and I should show off for the omegas.  I hate performing in front of crowds though.  Min’s a natural at it.  Maybe you and I should sing a duet.  I’d feel less nervous.”

            “I doubt I know any of the same songs you do.  I compose most of my own stuff.”

            “I thought perhaps our pack leaders traded music,” Kyuhyun said, sounding disappointed.  Leeteuk sometimes brought sheet music with him when he returned from visiting other packs, now that I’d thought of it.<

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter