Chapter 1

Thank You for Existing

Mark was standing at the end of the aisle waiting for his first love to walk towards him. He was smiling so brightly, anyone could see he shared Jackson’s happiness. When the time came, Jackson walked down the aisle looking so ethereal as if he came from a dream. His warm beautiful eyes were shining with so much happiness, as he walked towards Mark. Time seemed to slow down. Although, there were many people around them, looking at them, Mark still felt as though they were in a world of our own. Where the only ones that existed, was just the two of them. Mark watched as Jackson walked down the white silk cloth covered aisle with red roses sprinkled on top. The row of white beautiful rose bouquets lining the both sides of the aisle -where the seats were located- served as a beautiful background to the movie-like-scene. Everyone's eyes were on Jackson. His smooth up-styled black hair glistened in the sunlight. His black suit fitted perfectly to his sturdy body. His skin seemed to glow. He looked absolutely stunning. 
 

All the times they spent together flashed through Mark's mind. The times Jackson held Mark when he was at the breaking point. The times Mark nursed Jackson back to health when he was sick. Mark loved Jackson so much he could hardly bear it. 

Jackson reached in front of Mark and smiled fondly, although a bit nervously. The smile was easily the happiest smile Mark had ever seen on his face. Jackson looked absolutely mesmerizing. Mark smiled back at him. Assuring him and calming him down. Mark, for the last time, looked deep into Jackson’s eyes trying to desperately print Jackson’s face full of happiness in his mind before Jackson turned around to face the guests. Mark gazed at his back with a sad smile. He was so near yet so far. Never had Mark imagined that today would come so soon.

Suddenly the familiar sound of organ filled the beautiful church. Mark could feel the tension in the air, as the moment everyone was waiting for came. The big wooden doors opened, sound echoing in the vast hall and the beautiful bride stepped in. She walked down the aisle with a sparkle in her eyes. With a knowledge that she would be spending the rest of her life with the man of her dreams. Mark could see why Jackson loved her so much. She was perfect. She reached the altar and halted to a stop beside Jackson, smiling like today was the day all her dreams came true. Which was probably true. Mark's heart clenched at the sight but his smile only widened. He tried to be happy for Jackson. After all his happiness was all Mark ever wished for.

The wedding ceremony went by quickly. Soon it was already time to exchange rings, which was Mark's cue to step in. Mark took a step forward and handed Jackson his ring as the maid of honor did the same with the bride. As Mark handed the ring, he held Jackson's hands in his own fleetingly before he quickly let go. Jackson smiled wide, then turned around to face his beautiful bride. They exchanged rings when the pastor gave them the permission to kiss, they sweetly kissed sealing the deal of their happiness. Mark clapped hard and cheered louder than anyone else, as was expected of the Best-man. He watched them hug happily, whilst being flooded with memories of the feeling of Jackson's arms around him. Now it would never be the same again. Jackson now belonged to someone else. Not that Jackson was ever was his to begin with.

He rushed after the married couple while whistling as they walked happily with the guests to the dinner hall. It was time to eat and cut the cake. 


Inside the beautifully decorated dining hall, Mark directed guests to their designated seats. "This way sir. Your seats are over here." Smiling, he politely showed Jackson's grand uncle and his wife their seats then politely bowed and continued to show the other guests their tables. When everyone had found their seats, he signaled to the waiters to serve the food. Then rushed back to the dining hall to check if everything was alright. 

Mark leaned against the wall at the corner of the dull lighted dining hall. Everything was perfect. He sighed. The things he did for Jackson. He watched as Jackson ate happily with his newly wed wife. They looked cute together, feeding each other. They were radiating happiness around them. They didn't even seem to notice the world outside of their own. Mark smiled slightly. It was all worth it. Just seeing Jackson smile washed away all of the hardships he'd put into the wedding. For Jackson, he would do anything.

Mark was kind of in charge of this whole wedding so the bride wouldn't have too much stress. The bride had told him what she wanted and he made it all happen. Like a good best friend and best man he was.

Mark glanced down at his wristwatch. It was time to cut the cake. The sight of the gigantic cake, as it was brought in, made everyone gasp. Jackson rose from his seat and helped his bride up too. They walked to the cake together and holding hands, they cut the cake. Flashes of cameras were everywhere. People were clamoring. But they didn't seem to notice, instead, the bride wiped whipped cream on her finger and quickly dirtied Jackson's nose with it. Everyone laughed at the cute act. The bride happily high-fived her maid of honor before helping Jackson wipe off the cream. When she was concentrating on Jackson's nose, Jackson sneakily dipped his finger in the cake and quickly wiped the cream on his finger on the bride's face. They both laughed at the sudden attack. The bride playfully hit Jackson's arm while Jackson looked at her lovingly and kissed away the remaining dot of cream off her face. Everyone cheered at the act. They were too adorable.

As the majority of the guest had finished the cake, Mark went over to the person in charge of the lights and told him it was time. The light in the hall dimmed. It was the cue for the band to start playing. Suddenly the spotlight went on the platform where the band was playing and Khalil Fong stepped into view singing 'Nothing's gonna change my love for you'. Another spotlight went to where Jackson and his bride were sitting, stunned. They looked each other in the eyes mouths wide open. Jackson was the first to come back on earth. He stood up and with a small bow he offered his hand invitingly to his bride. The bride gladly took his hand and together they went on to the dance floor in the middle of the hall, spotlight following their steps. They began to dance romantically to the music. Mark smiled. It worked out well. Khalil Fong was a Chinese artist whom Jackson's bride adored. It was hard getting him here but it was worth it.

Mark walked closer so that he could see better. Jackson looked like he was searching for something while dancing. Mark looked around wondering what Jackson was searching for. Then their eyes met. Jackson smiled at Mark gratefully and mouthed 'Thank you'. Mark laughed and shook his head as an 'It was nothing'. Jackson then looked away and rested his head against his gorgeous wife's. His lips were near her ear moving to the lyrics of the song.

 

'Nothing's gonna change my love for you. You ought to know by now how much I love you. One thing you can be sure of I'll never ask for more than your love. Nothing's gonna change my love for you. You ought to know by now how much I love you. The world may change my whole life through, but nothing's gonna change my love for you.'

 

As the song ended everyone burst out into cheers and claps. Jackson and his bride hugged each other tightly before pulling apart. She was wiping her tears away. Mark smiled at the success. The wedding was coming to an end and it was perfect. Finally, now he had time to breath. It was over.

"Thank you, everyone, for the cheers. I'd like to congratulate you, the bride and the groom for your wedding! This song was for you. The next song is for all the lovers out there. Come on! Come to the dance floor! I'm Khalil Fong and this is my cover on Bruno Mars' 'Marry you'"

People happily rushed on the dance floor while Mark walked to his seat. He couldn't believe this day would come so soon. The day Jackson didn't need him anymore. He thought it was enough watching Jackson being happy with someone else. But he was wrong. He was human after all. The more time passed by, the greedier he became.

 

 

------------------------------------------------------

  

 

Mark was sitting on a bus. Looking out the window watching the ever changing view without really seeing anything. He was listening to his favorite songs without really hearing anything. He felt like he had lost the reason to live. 

After the wedding, Jackson and his newly wed wife went straight on their honeymoon. Before they left, they had thanked Mark so many times for the wedding. Mark had only smiled and congratulated them. They looked so happy Mark couldn't help but to find them suiting each other perfectly.

He leaned his forehead against the window.

Everything reminded Mark of him. No matter what Mark did, no matter what he tried, Jackson wouldn't leave his mind. His heart. Mark felt such sadness, such agony day after day, it was starting to feel normal. Why did he have to be the only one hurting? Why did he have to be the only one hoping for something impossible? He felt like crying every single day. He felt so weak feeling like this. He felt tired. He felt exhausted. But now he had gotten used to it. Now he didn't need to have Jackson's love anymore. Now Mark was almost content with a thought of seeing Jackson every day. His heart still ached but he knew Jackson's heart belonged to someone else now. A thing like him was not worthy of love.

It started to rain outside the bus. The raindrops slid down against the window. He smiled bitterly, looks like the sky was feeling the way he was.

He drew random patterns on the foggy window. He missed Jackson so much it hurt. He took a deep breath in. Was Jackson missing him too? Probably not... Why would Jackson miss him? He hoped Jackson would spare a few thoughts for him. That wasn't too much to ask, was it? He wondered If he moved on from Jackson, would Jackson notice the difference? If he was happy with someone else would Jackson be happy for him? Or would Jackson be sad? If he wasn't happy would Jackson notice? He highly doubted. Jackson doesn't care about him that way. He didn't even know how Mark felt. And Mark was the only one to blame for that.

It was dark now and the bus was reaching a bridge.

Mark smirked at his own stupidity. How can Mark move on when only the thought of his name alone cuts Mark? He closed his eyes tightly. Had he forgotten why he was on this stupid trip? He opened his eyes again with determination. Mark was letting him go. Mark was trying to leave him so Mark could move on. So Mark wouldn't be clinging to him so annoyingly. Mark had made a promise with himself when he first realized Jackson couldn't be his. He had promised to stay by Jackson's side until the day Jackson didn't need him anymore. Then leave. Mark will learn to live without him. Mark will find a new reason to live for. This wasn't the first time he was attempting to leave Jackson.  He would always somehow find his way back to Jackson. And deep inside him, he knew he would be back again but for now to ease the pain, he wanted to believe in a hope that one day he would see Jackson, the way Jackson saw him. As a friend. Just another friend.

There was also a time he wanted to hate Jackson for unknowingly hurting him. Mark wanted to hate him so badly. Rather than being pathetically in love with no reciprocation, Mark would rather hate him. That was the first time he tried to leave Jackson so he could hate him. Only to find himself back by Jackson's side a week later. He couldn't leave Jackson with regrets. He loved Jackson too damn much. But now he knew, he could never let Jackson go without any regrets. Even now Mark missed his smile. Mark selfishly longed to be in his arms. Mark hated this part of himself so much he sometimes wished he could die.

The worst part of all of this was that he knew Jackson cared about him. Mark was quite the actor. Jackson didn't know Mark was hurting. If Jackson knew it would have hurt him too. Mark would have preferred if Jackson didn't give a damn about him. It would've made this so much easier. He knew if he left for good Jackson would be sad. In Jackson's heart in some way, Mark was very dear to him. Mark was like a brother Jackson never had. It broke Mark's heart to see Jackson being so caring towards him, not knowing about the disgusting feelings Mark harbored towards him in exchange for his pure ones. Mark felt like he was deceiving Jackson.

 

'Mark, take care of yourself okay? You know you are precious to me, right?'

Mark felt a tear roll down his cheek. Jackson's voice still echoing in his ears. It broke Mark's heart. He thought he didn't have any more tears to shed. He guessed, he was wrong. Silently he let his tears fall.

'Please don't be so kind to me so I can forget. Please don't make this any harder to me than it already is. Even right now I could hardly bear it. Please... Let me forget. ' He begged to Jackson in his mind.

Suddenly the bus trying to stop from a fast speed made him fall forward on his seat. Everything happened so fast. Due to the rain, the bus couldn't stop fully but started sliding sideways tilting until it fell over. As a result of the impact Mark crashed to his window and at the same time, other people from the other side of the bus aisle fell on top of him. He was pressed against the window whilst hearing it crack.

The bus fallen over was still sliding until it collided with the barrier of the bridge, with force enough to break the barrier. The second impact made Mark hit his head on the window harder. He was dizzy and tasted blood but couldn't move. He felt the window under him crack open from all the weight. He tried to cover his face with his hands but his hands were stuck, so his face was pressed against the mix of shattered glass and asphalt. At the same time with the corner of his eyes, he saw the bus cracking in half few meters from him, other half falling down from the edge of the bridge. The rest of the bus was still slightly sliding towards the edge. People got scared and panicked. They ran from the edge towards the back of the bus. Due to panic, they fought each other while doing so. Unfortunately for Mark, he was at the bottom of the chaos so he was stepped on.

He saw the edge coming nearer but didn't fight it. Maybe he was too much in shock, too much in pain... But the only thing he could think was if he died now, would Jackson know? Then someone kicked Mark's head. Mark's part of the bus was over the edge. Who would let Jackson know that he's dead?  Gathering ripples of his strength, Mark tried to call out to Jackson but no voice came out from his lips. Mark felt himself beginning to lose consciousness.

It was over. It was really over now. With the last strength, he had left he thought of Jackson's smiling face. Please be happy.'Now he truly was leaving. Goodbye, my love.

With that the darkness surrounded him.