1/1

Last Dance

“Look at this Sooyoung, they have an excellent photography program here. Maybe you'll make some friends?”

“It's a hospital mom. I doubt I'll even be let out of my room.”

“Don't say that honey. You'll get better while you're here. I just know it.”

“You're not the one being forced to stay here. I hate hospitals.”

“I know you do, but it's for the best. You need a heart transplant and the doctor recommended you stay here while a donor is found.”

“He also said my chances of getting a new heart were very low. It would just be better to have me stay at home instead of paying for me to stay in an expensive hospital room.”

“We've talked about this before. Here you can be treated and we won't be worried about you falling sick.”

“Are you sure we can't just have me stay home?”

“No, now let me sign you in before you find another excuse to have you stay at home. Stay here.”

“Fine.”

 

Sooyoung sat down on one of the reception area chairs and looked around. Her eyes drifted around the room until she caught her eyes on an open door. It didn't take her long to realize people were dancing inside.

 

Unfortunately, the door was soon closed and Sooyoung had to find another distraction while she waited. She truly loved dancing, but ever since she got diagnosed with an enlarged heart, her parents forced her to stop going to dance classes in fear of her falling ill in class and risking her life. She missed dancing more than anything in the world.

 

Her thoughts were soon broken by her mother tapping her shoulder to get up. She picked up the backpack at her feet and followed her mother and helpful nurse towards the room she'd be staying in.

 

“Here is the room you'll be staying in. I hope you get settled in quickly. Do you have any questions for me?”

“Am I allowed to walk freely around the hospital.”

“For the most part yes, though we would prefer for someone with your kind of condition to stay put in a room rather than roam around the halls.”

“Ah, understood.”

“If you have anymore questions while you're here, don't hesitate to ask. I'm nurse Hong by the way.”

“Thank you.”

“I'll be leaving you two to settle in. Have a nice day.”

“You too.”

 

Sooyoung stepped further into the room and set her bag down on the small hospital bed. She walked towards the window and looked straight out. She could see the park across the street from the hospital. Children were running around freely.

 

Free. Something Sooyoung wished she was. Upon having her mother sign her in, her freedom was stripped away almost completely. She was now constrained in the hospital which would most likely be the place where she'd spend her final days in.

 

“Sooyoung, I have to go. I'll come by to visit next week. Stay safe okay.”

“Okay mom. See you soon.”

 

The moment her mother left, Sooyoung ran out of her room and towards the hallway where she had seen the dancers earlier that day. She was determined to at least try to regain some of her freedom back today. She wanted to dance like she had before her diagnosis.

 

Too bad Sooyoung didn't see where she was running or she wouldn't have bumped into the short girl who was now on the floor. Sooyoung stretched her arm out in hopes of helping the shorter girl back up, though the latter didn't accept the help. She instead quickly picked herself off the floor and started walking like she had before Sooyoung accidentally ran her over.

 

Before Sooyoung could even try to apologize for knocking the girl over, she was out of her sight. Sooyoung was about to keep running when her eyes caught a glimpse of something on the floor. She cautiously approached it only to realize it was a roll of film used in older cameras.

 

“Maybe this belongs to the short girl. If I bump into her later, I'll give it back. For now, I should go and find the room with people dancing inside.”

 

Sooyoung started running again until she stood right outside the very door where she had seen dancers. She carefully opened the door only to be disappointed when she saw no one inside. The room was completely empty, except for the CD player closest to the large window.

 

“Dang, the dance class ended already. I should've run here faster.”

 

Sooyoung walked out of the room and tried to go back to her living space, but sadly didn't get far as nurse Hong was standing in her way.

 

“I'm pretty sure you're not supposed to be running around in a hospital.”

“Sorry nurse Hong.”

“Don't apologize. It's not like you did any harm.”

“I was just trying to find the dancers.”

“Your mother warned me about you dancing. She told me to keep you away from any activity that could worsen your condition.”

“It's okay. I understand. I'll stay away from the dance room.”

“I know you may think I'm being harsh, but I'm only following what your mother told me. I need to make sure you're doing well or I'll be risking my job.”

“Sorry for the trouble nurse Hong.”

“It's okay Sooyoung, just don't do anything like that again without notifying one of us nurses first.”

 

Nurse Hong escorted Sooyoung back to her room as quickly as she could. The latter was slightly disappointed that she had gotten caught, but more saddened by the fact that she missed out on the dance class.

 

Once the two got back to the room, Sooyoung sat down on the bed and took out all her belongings. Scattered among her clothes were her notebooks, cell phone, and favorite albums. She grabbed hold of one of her notebooks and flipped through until she found an empty page.

 

~5 hours later~

 

Sooyoung had ended up falling asleep while drawing on the notebook page. If it hadn't been for the strumming of a guitar coming from the room next to hers, she would've stayed asleep for a longer period of time. She wasn't complaining about the actual playing of the instrument, but she wished it hadn't woken her up.

 

Her curiosity soon got the best of her as she found herself walking over to the next room just to listen more to the guitar. The door was open so she glanced in and saw a figure at the furthest part of the room. The person was next to the window strumming at a guitar, looking towards the outside world.

 

Sooyoung was stuck in such a deep trance from listening to the beautifully played notes that she didn't realize the person had turned around and stopped strumming.

 

“Excuse me. You do know it's rude to spy on someone without them knowing.”

“Sorry. I just heard a guitar and had to figure out who was playing it.”

“Well now you know. If you don't mind me asking, who are you here for? I thought they didn't let people stay beyond visiting hours.”

“I'm not a visitor, I live here now.”

“Ah, new kid. What are you in for?”

“Enlarged heart. Mother thinks it's better if I stay here while a suitable donor appears. What’s wrong with you?”

“Liver on the verge of failing me. I'm waiting for a new liver to come my way. Doctors say I'll be good within 6 months.”

“That's nice. At least you have hope of getting out of here. I'm lucky if I stay alive for more than a year here.”

“Stay positive. You never know what'll end up happening.”

 

The girl stood up and removed the stray strands of hair from her face before meeting Sooyoung in the eyes. In an instant, the latter knew she was the same girl she had practically run over that afternoon. Not wanting to stay awkward, Sooyoung made an attempt at keeping the conversation alive.

 

“So...what’s your name?”

“Everyone here calls me Sunny. What's your name stranger?”

“Sooyoung. Why does everyone call you Sunny?”

“My mom called me Sunny when I was young since I was a very hyperactive kid who saw the good in everything.”

“So the name Sunny just stuck?”

“Yeah. Very few people know my real name and I would prefer if it stayed that way.”

“Okay. Do you know anything fun to do here?”

“I barely leave my room. On the rare occasions that I do decide to interact with the outside world, I take part in the dance classes here.”

“I'm not allowed anywhere near the dance class.”

“Parents won't allow you to?”

“Yeah. How did you know?”

“Parents are the only ones who take the fun out of living here. Doctors try, but fail miserably.”

“I see. Well, I should go to bed. It's late out.”

“See ya later Sooyoung.”

 

Sooyoung walked out of the room and went towards her own. She took out the roll of film in her pocket and placed it on the small table next to her bed. She grabbed her notebook again and started doodling.

 

Figures of dancers and music notes came to life on the piece of paper. Before long, Sooyoung began getting sleepy so she placed the notebook on the table. She faced the ceiling and came to terms with the idea that living in a hospital wouldn't be so bad. Maybe she could become friends with that one girl, Sunny.

 

~3 weeks later~

 

“I still don't get why you're not allowed here.”

“I told you. My parents think if I start up dancing again that I'll be risking my life more.”

“At least your parents care. Mine are too busy working to care. That's why I'm here.”

“Oh, sorry to hear that. I didn't mean to go there.”

“It's okay. It's good to have someone to finally talk to here. It gets pretty lonely in this place.”

“That's what friends are for, right?”

“Right. Now, let's get to dance class. Since I know the instructor, she'll most likely have you included in the class though not make you overwork yourself.”

“Anything is better than nothing. I really did miss this.”

 

As the two walked into class, Sooyoung felt at home. They went to the back of the class and began following the routine the instructor was teaching. In that instant, Sooyoung didn't feel like she was trapped, she felt freedom again.

 

By the end of the class, Sooyoung was riding on the natural high she got from dancing. Sunny was laying flat the floor dying from being out of breath. It was a good thing Sooyoung noticed and helped the short girl sit up.

 

“Thanks for the help Sooyoung.”

“I should be the one helping you. I haven't felt more alive, more free, more at peace in the longest time and it's all thanks to you.”

“A-anytime.”

“You okay Sunny? Your face is turning red. Do you want me to call for a nurse?”

“No, I'm fine. Guess I'm just tired.”

“Okay. Wanna go back to your room and rest?”

“Sure. Let's go.”

 

Sooyoung practically carried Sunny on her back before exiting the room. Of course, they didn't get far as nurse Hong was standing outside the room. Instead of scolding the two, she offered them some energy drinks.

 

“I really should be telling your parents that you're dancing behind their back, but I won't. You really look happy.”

“I am. This is the happiest I've felt in months.”

“Drop Sunny off in her room. We need to have a serious talk afterwards.”

“Okay.”

 

Sooyoung took Sunny to her room and dropped her off on her bed. She noticed that the latter was also looking down while thanking the former for bringing her back to her room. It was odd in a way, but Sooyoung chose to ignore that. As soon as Sooyoung went back inside her room, she was locked in by nurse Hong.

 

“Sunny totally has a thing for you.”

“What are you saying?”

“She likes you.”

“She does not. I'm just friendly and she's just shy.”

“Oh come on, she has a crush on you.”

“She's known me for a month.”

“Love at first sight?”

“You're a hopeless romantic, aren't you?”

“Don't change the subject. Sunny likes you.”

“So what if she does.”

“Do you like her back?”

“I don't know. I've only known her for a little more than 3 weeks.”

“And I see the way you treat her. No wonder she took a liking to you.”

“Whether or not I like her, that's my issue to solve.”

“Well you better solve it quick.”

“And why is that?”

“I bet nurse Han $20 that you would start dating Sunny within a month of you two meeting.”

“Then you just lost $20. I've never dated anyone before and I doubt Sunny will by my first.”

 

Nurse Hong was long gone before Sooyoung had said the final sentence, but it did have her wondering. Did Sunny like her? Nah, that's impossible. They had only met that month.

 

Sooyoung didn't know what the heck was running through her mind anymore. All these thoughts and what if scenarios kept running through her mind as she lay down in bed looking towards the window. All those questions would need to be answered in the morning.

 

~The Next Day~

 

Sooyoung woke up right around 6am. She never was a morning person, but today would have to be the day. She put on some decent clothes and rushed over to Sunny’s room. She saw the lights on and ran in.

 

Sunny was resting next to the window with her guitar like on the night Sooyoung first saw her. She was so distracted that Sooyoung managed to walk up next to her without the former realizing. Of course, Sunny was soon startled and ended up falling off her chair.

 

“Geez Sooyoung. At least knock first before you decide to scare me.”

“Sorry.”

“Why are you here? I thought you weren't an early riser.”

“I came to get some answers.”

“Okay, what do you need to know?”

“I'm just gonna get straight to the point, do you like me?”

 

Sunny stopped strumming and looked Sooyoung dead in the eyes. Shock and fear were evident on the former's face. They stayed silent for felt like hours though was only a mere 15 seconds.

 

“W-what makes you say that?”

“Nurse Hong told me and it kinda makes sense. You always looking away when I give you compliments. The constant skinship. The mad blushing after yesterday's dance class. Do you like me?”

“I-I. Um...ugh. Yes. Yes I do. I really like you.”

“Well why didn't you tell me that before?”

“I was scared. I've never liked anyone before.”

“Well that makes two of us.”

“What do you mean?”

“After thinking about this for the whole night, I realized my heart beats a little bit faster when I'm with you. You make me happy. To say it in easy terms, I like you too.”

 

Sooyoung stopped talking and looked at Sunny after pouring out her emotions only to see the latter pretty much in a frozen state. Sooyoung didn't know what to do other than take the first step. She went closer to Sunny and pulled her in for a kiss.

 

Neither was even remotely sure what to do as their lips met, but they knew that they both felt sparks fly. It just felt right being together. The two pulled away and sat down on the bed, both trying to replay what had just occurred in their minds.

 

“So...does this mean we're a thing now?”

“I guess so Sunny.”

 

They turned to look at each other in the eyes and smiled. They both felt happy now. Sooyoung took Sunny by the hand and pulled her into a tight hug.

 

A couple meters away, nurse Hong was collecting her winnings from nurse Han. Guess there were 3 winners that morning.

 

~4 Months Later~

 

“Babe, your liver transplant surgery is tomorrow. Are you sure you want to be here dancing in an empty room with me?”

“Of course. Why spend it anywhere else other than with my one and only girlfriend.”

“I mean you should be resting.”

“I can rest after the surgery with you by my side.”

“But you should be resting now.”

“If you dance with me once right now, I promise to go back to my room and rest. Do we have a deal?”

“Deal.”

 

Sooyoung started up the music. It was a classical piece which Sunny had grown to love. The two danced as one as they began to feel the flow of the music course through their veins. Sunny could not feel happier knowing she was safe in Sooyoung’s arms as they danced along the wooden floor.

 

As the music came to an end, the two stepped out and went back to their respective rooms, but not before sharing a gentle kiss on the lips.

 

~The Next Day~

 

Sunny had gone under the knife hours ago. Sooyoung didn't worry as her girl was a fighter. She was on her bed when nurse Hong raced in.

 

“Sooyoung, we found a compatible heart donor. You're going into surgery today.”

 

Those words were some that she had been wishing to hear for months. Tears of joy fell from her face as she knew she and Sunny could be happy outside the hospital, together.

 

~9 Hours Later~

 

Sooyoung was regaining consciousness after her surgery. She was still weak, but wished for nothing more than to be with Sunny. She noticed nurse Hong in the room and quickly got her attention.

 

“Nurse Hong, where's Sunny? How is she?”

“Sooyoung, I have some bad news.”

“What is it?”

“Sunny died on the operating table. The heart we used for your surgery was hers. She told me before she went under that if she weren't to make it back alive that she wanted you to have her heart since you gave her happiness. Now whenever you dance, she'll be a part of you.”

 

Sooyoung’s world came crashing down all in an instant. She wanted it all yo be a lie. She wanted Sunny by her side.


Sunny’s final dance would also be the last dance for Sooyoung as the girl couldn't bring herself to dance after the transplant. She just couldn't do it anymore. That was her sacrifice for having her love being torn away from her.