Death By Book

Through the Night

“Well, I’m officially bored,” Sana whined, hand entwined with Dahyun’s. She was swinging her arm back and forth, carrying Dahyun’s arm with it.

“What did you expect, ghosts around every corner?” Tzuyu asked, leading the way with her flashlight.

“Hm, maybe,” Sana mused. “Can’t we just lay out our sleeping bags and play spin the bottle or something?”

“Yeah, right. That would be a disaster,” Tzuyu jipped. The thought of playing that amongst her friends was actually terrifying. With all the secret crushes she had noticed among the group, it would be more terrifying than being in a haunted house.

“We need to cover every inch of the house,” Dahyun interjected. “We want that jokabl, don’t we?”

“Yeah,” Tzuyu and Sana said in unison. They had wandered into some sort of library. Wooden shelves lined the walls, and some books still remained, tucked away. The ceiling was quite tall, and there were three tall windows revealing a view of the backyard.  

“I know why we’re not seeing any ghosts!” Sana suddenly cried, making Dahyun flinch in surprise. “Tzuyu, you’re scaring all the ghosts away. You’re so scary!”

Tzuyu scoffed, “I’m not scary!” Sana only gave her a knowing look. “I’m not scary, right?” she asked, looking at Dahyun.

Dahyun looked down at the ground, biting her lip. “Uhhh, maybe just a little, teensy bit.”

A low sound escaped from Tzuyu’s mouth, sounding like a growl. “See?” Sana pointed at the tall girl, looking very amused.  

“Whatever,” Tzuyu murmured. “I’d rather be scary than an airhead.”

“Hey!” Sana shouted back, placing her hands on her hips and sticking out her tongue. “You’re so mean!”

“You started it,” Tzuyu shot back, and Dahyun sighed audibly, dragging her feet as they moved towards the center of the room. She really didn’t want to be stuck with them if they went back and forth all night.

“Guys, look at this,” Dahyun said, stumbling forward, letting go of Sana’s hand, and pointing to a book that laid open on the floor. She reached down and grabbed it, illuminating the cover with her flashlight. “The Lurking Fear by H.P. Lovecraft and Other Stories of Horror,” Dahyun read the inscription on the cover. “Sounds legit. Scary stories. Perfect.” She tucked the book under her arm. “We can read them out loud later,” Dahyun wagged her eyebrows up and down.

Tzuyu shrugged and Sana didn’t look impressed. Sana leaned back into a bookshelf, putting the back of her hand against her forehead and sighed dramatically. “This is sooooo boring.”

Suddenly a book on a shelf across the room fell, causing Sana to jump and scream. “What was that!”

“A book fell, relax,” Tzuyu said, smiling slightly at the older girl’s scared expression.

“Or it’s a ghost,” Dahyun suggested.

“Dahyunnie!” Sana cried, running over to the younger girl and practically jumping into her arms.

“I thought you wanted to see some ghosts?” Tzuyu teased, shining her flashlight in the direction where the sound came from. She didn’t see anything there. They were alone in the room. Sana simply buried her face into Dahyun’s shoulder and whined. Dahyun just shrugged, looking over at a smug looking Tzuyu.

Another book fell, then another. Then a book flew across the room, nearly smacking Tzuyu in the head, but luckily she reacted quickly enough to avoid it. “Jesus Christ!” Tzuyu yelled.

Dahyun shot her an unamused glare, but Dahyun didn’t have enough time to scold Tzuyu for using the Lord’s name in vain as Sana was practically dragging her out of the room and into the hallway with a strength she didn’t realize the older girl possessed, yelling: “LET’S GET OUT OF HERE!”

Tzuyu, surprisingly, was right on their heels, looking more terrified than Dahyun had ever seen her look before.

They stopped running once they made it into the kitchen, each one bending over to catch their breath. “Those books...moved...on their own…” Tzuyu remarked. “One almost killed me!”

“Death by book would be quite a way to go,” Dahyun replied, still carrying the book of scary stories tucked under her arm.

“Tzuyu, what happened to you scaring away the ghosts!” Sana yelled breathlessly.

“I guess I’m not as scary as you thought.”  

If Sana wasn't so completely drained out from their short sprint and terrified, she would've stuck out her tongue.