Conflicted

Conflicted

Mingyu taps his thumb on his steering wheel as he waits outside the school. He leans over and declines the phone call that is making his phone vibrate.

Mum.

He huffs as a text message pops up.

Get home. We want to talk.

Mingyu throws his phone back into its spot as he continues to tap his thumb. Eventually he sits up as he sees his boyfriend exit the college and walk over to the car. "Hey babe." Minghao climbs in, giddy as always. 
"Hey Hao." Mingyu starts the car and puts it into reverse to back out of the parking lot. His boyfriend becoming uncomfortable in the passenger seat. 
"What's up Gyu? You normally greet me much better than this." 
"I think my mum has found our polaroid's." 
"Oh." Was all Minghao responds. 
"Look don't worry about it. I'll figure something out to her." 
"Why don't you just tell her? Get it over and done with." Minghao stares out of the window, his arms crossed over him. 
"It's not that simple Minghao." 
He rolls his eyes, "Right yeah, because I had it so easy when I came out to my parents. If I recall they didn't talk to me for a week until they spoke to the rest of my family and they accepted me, don't even get me started when I first started dating-" 
"I get it. Minghao, I get it. Let me deal with this my way, I promise I will tell my parents but only when I'm ready. This doesn't affect how much I love you." 
"I know." 
The rest of the way was in silence until they reached Minghao's house. 
"I'll call you when I've spoken to them, I promise." 
"Okay, don't rush." Minghao grabs his backpack and climbs out the car, slamming the door behind him. Mingyu throws his head back and groans as his boyfriend walks into his house. He messages his mum back before driving off.

Minghao is glad his parents were still at work as he storms upstairs. He throws his belongings down before receiving a text from Jun.

Wanna talk? I have news!! ;)

Minghao chuckles before replying yes and sitting at his computer.     
"Hao! Its so good to see your face!" His best friend grins when he answers the call. 
"Right back at you." Minghao gets comfortable on his desk chair, tilting his screen back a little. 
"So I have great news! Do you remember me talking about that Korean boy that moved here?" 
"Jeon Wonwoo? Ah Wonwoo is so pretty. Wonwoo is so cute, have you seen him with glasses? He's so adorable. And he's smart as well. Yeah I think I remember every comment from the last month." 
Jun blushes as he stutters. "Well, yeah, I mean, yeah. Anyway, look!" Jun drags someone by the arm from off the frame into the camera. 
"Minghao, I want you to meet my boyfriend, Jeon Wonwoo. Wonwoo, this is my best friend and co-partner in everything I do, Xu Minghao." 
Wonwoo awkwardly waves as Minghao aw's. "Aw, he is as adorable as you say. Nice to meet you, Wonwoo. I hope Jun is treating you nicely whilst I'm not there, he takes a lot to refrain." 
"He's treating me great, thank you Minghao." 
"So speaking of treating people nicely, how's the bf?" Jun starts. Minghao replies with a groan and a roll of his eyes. 
"Not good?" 
"His mum found our polaroid's from our dates and she ordered him home. He's still adamant on not telling them yet so I'm trying not to let it stress me out." 
"Hao, what do I keep saying? You need to-" 
"I'm not breaking up with him Jun. I love him, I just don't know how much longer I can keep up with this act. We've stopped going on dates because he's scared of someone seeing us. I've never been to his house in case his parents come home. He's only come here when my mum and step-dad decide to go back to China now and then. The only people who know about us is you and now basically, Wonwoo cause he told Seungkwan and Hansol that we're not the dating material and we're just friends. None of his friends know. We don't even talk on the phone anymore in case someone hears us. The only time we spend together is when he picks me up from college and that's ten minutes at most. I'm just sick of it piling up and I don't know what to do about it." 
"You can't let Mingyu treat you like this, he has to understand how much its hurting you. There's two people in this relationship." 
"I know but I don't want to rush him, I know what it's like to be in his position." Minghao sighs and brings his knees to his chest. His phone vibrates on his desk. "Hold on, he's calling me." Minghao picks his phone up and answers the call.

"Hey Hao." 
"Hey." He drew patterns on his desk with his forefinger as he watches Jun intently gaze at him and Wonwoo writing inside a notebook. 
"So erm, I spoke to my parents. They brought up the photos, especially the ones where we were kissing. I told them it was just us messing about for now and they seemed okay with that answer but they want to meet you as they've met all my other friends and I think it would be a great step for-" 
"Look Min, we need to talk about us. Preferably face-to-face." 
"Why? We're good, aren't we?" 
Minghao sighs as Jun raises his eyebrow at him. 
"I don't know but we need to talk before I may meet your parents because that's a step I'm not willing to take if this isn't going to work." 
"But we're working, it's just a hurdle we need to get over first. We've only been dating six months, Minghao." 
"I'd prefer to have this conversation in person. Sorry." 
"Okay, well I love you Minghao. Remember that." 
"Yeah I know." He hangs up and runs his hands over his face. 
"Well?" 
"Well Mingyu is happy about the outcome, I'm not so sure. He wants me to meet his parents as his friend and go from there." 
"Minghao, do you mind me adding my two cents?" Wonwoo was now looking up from his notebook. 
"I'll take anything from anyone right now." 
"You need to decide whether being with this Mingyu person is making you happy or not. You're young and you don't want to spend these years of your life in a relationship you are not having fun in and enjoying. You should be with someone you can experiment with, you can tell anything to, someone you're never lonely around and feel proud of being with. If you feel like you can't be all that with Mingyu, then is your heart worth the pain that you're feeling? And how long are you willing to wait? It's a discussion you need to have with Mingyu and with yourself." 
Minghao smiled, "Thank you Wonwoo. That was actually really helpful. Junhui, marry him. I like him." 
"I'm glad I can help you, I'm always here if you need me."

Meet me in your college parking lot xx

"I have to go Jun, Mingyu wants to meet and I have a feeling it might not go well." 
"That's fine, just ring us when you get back to keep us informed. We're having a takeout and movie night so don't worry about trying to get a hold of us." 
"Thank you guys, god I wish you two were in Korea. My life would be so much easier." 
"Sorry, China is where my heart lies you know, proud of your country and all that." 
"Yeah yeah, well speak later." 
He bids goodbye to the pair before grabbing his phone and jacket and leaving the house.

He walks the twenty minutes back to college and found Mingyu leaning against his car. A part of him was washed over with memories of their first meeting.

Mingyu was in the same position when they first met, leaning handsomely against his car in the college parking lot, waiting. Minghao had finished his classes for the day and walked out with his friend, Seungkwan. They walked towards the entrance before Seungkwan saw the figure leant up against the car. 
"Mingyu!" Seungkwan grabbed Minghao's arm and dragged him towards the other. 
"Hey Seungkwan, Hansol wanted picking up so I thought I'd give you a ride too." 
"Cheers Ming, oh would you be able to give Minghao a ride too? Its on the way to yours, just I said I'd walk with him today." 
"Its fine Seungkwan, I walk alone everyday." Minghao blushed, not wanting to disrupt this good-looking stranger. He wouldn't tell him that though. 
"It's no problem, any friend of Seungkwan's is a friend of mine. Hop in." 
"You sit up front Hao, me and Han will sit in the back." They climbed into the car before Mingyu backed out. 
"Where do you live, Minghao?" Minghao wasn't going to let the flip of his heart make him stutter, god dammit. 
"Near the south side of the park."  
Mingyu nodded and Minghao bit the inside of his cheek. He was 19 years old, he's an adult, he wasn't going to get a crush. 
"So how come I've never seen you around before?" Mingyu turned into a small car park of a row of shops and parked up. 
"For a pick up line, that was terrible. Minghao is not an easy guy." Seungkwan butted in before Minghao replied. 
"It's a good thing I don't mind a challenge." 
Seungkwan laughed. "You're never this smooth Mingyu, Hansol doesn't get his terrible relationship attributes from your parents." 
"So you're Hansol's brother?" Minghao spoke up again, playing with cuffs of his jacket. 
"The one and only. If Hansol has talked about me, he's lying." The other leaned over as he whispered that last bit. Minghao chuckled. 
"You're lucky I've only spoken to Hansol twice." 
"Yeah the less I let Minghao talk to Hansol, the more of his innocence is kept." 
"Says the youngest ones." 
"Minghao is really innocent, you've only met him once." 
"Seungkwan, I'm still here. Plus I'm not that bad, I know all I need to know at my age even if I haven't experienced it." Seungkwan went to talk but quickly pouted as Hansol entered the car. 
"Hey, thanks for picking me up Min. Hey." Hansol smirked towards Seungkwan before he noticed the Chinese male. "Hey Minghao, long time no see. We need to hang out more." 
"Yeah, we do Hansol." Minghao smiled into the mirror to the backseat. Mingyu started the car back up again and got back onto the road.

"You can drop me off here, thank you." Minghao pointed to the side of the road, just outside his house. Mingyu nodded before pulling over. 
"Thank you for the ride home, Mingyu. I don't know how to repay you." Minghao blushed, as Mingyu stared him down from the driver's seat. 
"Well I wasn't going to leave you stranded. However, one way to pay me back by going on a date with me. Tomorrow? Bite to eat after college? Obviously depending on what time you finish." 
"I finish at four so something to eat would be great." 
"I'll pick you up." Mingyu smirked, Minghao tapped his blushing face before getting out of the car. "I'll see you tomorrow you two." 
"Have a good night Hao!" Seungkwan shouted. Hansol shook his head before waving him goodbye. Minghao kept his smile to himself as he entered his home.

"I can not wait for you to explain this to mum and dad." Hansol scoffed as Mingyu started the car again. 
"Kinda planning on you going first since you're the one with the boyfriend." 
" move, you're the eldest. You've got to be my role model." 
"We'll see."  

Minghao deeply sighs as he walks up to his boyfriend. Mingyu gives him a hug but Minghao repays it weakly. 
"What do we need to talk about?" The taller leaning against his car again. 
"Us, Mingyu. I was speaking to Jun when I got in-" 
Mingyu rolls his eyes, to this Minghao crossed his arm. "Do you mind telling me what is wrong with that?" 
"I've never even met Jun yet he hates my guts. All he wants is you to break up with me. And from what you've told me, he sounds weird." 
"He doesn't hate you, He just gets frustrated because of how you treat me, he has my back and my best interest at heart. He cares. And he's known me a lot longer than you have so why shouldn't I listen to his advice?" 
"I didn't mean it like that, I just meant that it feels like he wants to sabotage our relationship and he's not even in Korea!" 
"If you must know it wasn't Jun that made me need to talk to you. It was his boyfriend. He gave me some interesting advice." 
"Why do you have to take other peoples advice? Why don't you make your own decisions? Do what you want." 
"Because if I did that, I'd still be stuck in this relationship that's going nowhere, you'd never tell your parents and we'd have to take our secret to the grave and that's not fair on me! I love you Mingyu, like I didn't think it was possible to love someone this much but I just can't do this anymore. You're not taking my feelings into account, you're just doing what's best for you and whilst that's great for you, it's not for me. I love you Mingyu and I'll be here when you've finally accepted yourself and told your parents, but I've still got college and a life and I'm tired of secrecy." Minghao moved forward and kissed him softly. "Goodbye Mingyu." He began to walk away until Mingyu shouted his name and grabs his wrist. 
"You're breaking up with me? I thought everything was fine, like we're taking baby steps. Please don't, Hao." 
"You need to be a good example for Hansol. He's a good kid and I don't want Seungkwan to go through what I am." 
That was the first time Minghao saw Mingyu cry before he walked away.

To say he felt like was an understatement. He cried on the phone to Jun and Wonwoo when he got back in, how he regrets breaking up with him. He couldn't control what he said and it was spur of the moment kind of thing. Wonwoo said that to say those things he had to have meant them at some point and Minghao kinda hates him right now for being right. Eventually when he calmed down and Jun threatening to get the next plane to Korea, he let them get on with their night. He spent his night binge watching TV shows to forget his heart break.

Mingyu sits up and rubs his eyes. It seems like he had fallen asleep whilst he was crying in his car and it was now dark outside. He calms himself down before starting up his car and driving home. 
When he enters the house, his mother noticed straight away. 
"Min, what happened? Why are you crying?" She immediately hugs her eldest son at the front door. 
"I'm fine Mum, honestly but I need to talk to the both of you at some point tonight but I'm going to go upstairs for now." 
"Take all the time you need honey." She kisses his forehead before sitting back down. 
Mingyu trudges upstairs and heads to his brother's room, softly knocking. "Hansol?" 
"Come in." Hansol was sat scrolling through his laptop. "What's up?" 
Mingyu shuts the door tightly behind him before sitting near his brother. "How is Seungkwan?" 
Hansol stares confusingly at the question. "He's fine?" 
"No, how is he? Is he happy with where you two are right now?" 
"I think, I mean he's said a few times that no one knowing is getting on his nerves but other than that we're fine." 
"Are you happy with the situation?" 
Hansol sighs. "No. I love him and I want to show him off like really cheesily because as much as he acts like he hates it, I know he'd scoop it up like sunlight to a flower. And I want to feel proud. I just don't know how to do it because I want to give him all this stuff but I'm stuck and I don't want him to break up with me when he gets fed up." 
Mingyu nods before tapping his brother on the thigh. "Come with me." 
Hansol put his laptop to one side and follows his brother downstairs.

"Mum, dad, we need to talk." The two brothers stood in front of their parents. 
"We're listening." 
Mingyu takes a deep breath. "I was dating Minghao. We weren't friends, we've been dating for six months. The reason I was crying is because he broke up with me because I was trying too hard to hide myself from everyone, especially you two and I never took a moment to think how it hurt him. But that's the truth. I'm gay, I like guys. I love Minghao. And for me to be a good big brother and set a good example for Hansol, I need to be honest with you and show him that you shouldn't hide yourself from anyone if its going to hurt the ones you love. So there it is, and I'll take any punishment you give me." Mingyu bows his head. 
"Oh honey!" His mother stands and rushes to hug him. "We're not going to punish you. We wouldn't do that." 
"We're proud of your courage to tell us, Mingyu. " His father stood. "Anyway, Minghao sounds like a cute kid, nice, respectable. How can we hate that?" Mingyu smiles as his father hugs him too. 
"So, since we've seemed to have entered a confessional, I need to tell you something too." Hansol spoke up, getting the attention of his parents. 
"I'm gay too, well I think I am. I like guys but I'm not sure about girls, like I haven't had a crush on a girl in a while but I just thought it was because I was hanging out with Seungkwan a lot and the fact that there is a lot of males that I work with. I could still like a girl at some point but anyway, I, I'm in love with Seungkwan and we've been dating for about a year now." Hansol scratches the back of his neck as his parents just smile fondly at the both of them and grabs him into a hug too. 
"You're young Hansol, it's fine to be confused honey. We never thought you with Seungkwan would match but he's a great kid and we accept that." 
"Even if he's a little loud." His father mumbles. 
"Shush, he's just a little over the top sometimes, that's all but that's what makes him a great kid." 
"Cheers." 
"Right so now that that's done with, I need to get Minghao back." Mingyu grins before running outside and gets into his car.  

He made it outside the Xu house in record time and quickly got out and ran to the door, he knocks urgently. 
"Mingyu, its weird to see you here." 
"Hi, Miss Xu. Yeah erm, I came to see Minghao." 
"He's in his room, he hasn't even been down to eat yet." 
"Thank you." He bows as he shuffles past her and jogs up the stairs. He stops outside Minghao's room and knocks. "Come in." 
Mingyu apprehensively enters the Chinese boy's bedroom. It was weird and wrong to Mingyu to see Minghao with no emotion what so ever in his face. "What are you doing here?" 
Mingyu walks inside the room and shuts the door behind him. 
"I want to tell you some good news." 
"Wait, did you finally find a good spot for those photos." 
"I told them." 
"Woo hoo, took you long enough." Minghao's face still void of emotion. 
"I thought you'd be happy?" 
"I would have been happy if it was five months, hell I would have been happy if it was yesterday. But not now. The fact I had to break up with you to show how serious it is, made you do it. You had to lose something in order to show you what's important? I should have been important from the start Mingyu, so sorry for me not jumping for joy at something you should have done before thinking of a serious relationship with me." 
Mingyu walks over to the side of the bed and got on his knees. 
"I'm sorry. I'm sorry for not seeing how it affected you. I'm sorry for not seeing how it affected Hansol and Seungkwan. I'm sorry for not being brave enough. I'm sorry for putting your feelings last. I love you and I'm sorry." 
Minghao sighs before sitting on the edge of his bed in front of Mingyu. 
"It's not about being brave, Min. It's about doing what's best for you. Keeping this a secret would have drove you insane eventually and would have stopped you being in a happy relationship. I love you too and I kept my word. I am here waiting for you, I would always be waiting. I'm a er cause I would have took you back even if you didn't tell them. So can we put all this behind us and be happy? Please?." 
"Yeah, of course we can." 
Minghao leans over and kisses his boyfriend, Mingyu smiling into the kiss as he places his hands on Minghao's hips. But were soon interrupted by Minghao's mother opening the door. Mingyu jumps back. 
"Well I see it's getting a bit cosy in here. I just wanted to say that Mingyu can stay for dinner if he likes. I'm sure your dad would love to meet him." 
"That would be lovely Miss Xu, thank you." 
"Great, well carry on, pretend I was never here but your dad will be home soon so don't make too much noise." 
"Mum!" She smiles wickedly before leaving. 
"I'm sorry for jumping back like that, habit." 
"It's fine, we can work on that." Minghao drags him back over to him and onto the bed.

21:09 pm  
Hansol: 
I wonder who will get laid first in the house. Obviously will be me, Seungkwan can't resist

21:10pm 
Mingyu: 
Try me, . At least we're legal. But I guess having your first time in a bed would be better, I've got a car that'll see better action

21:13pm 
Hansol: 
Oh I bet mum would love to know what age you were when you first did it ;)

21:15pm 
Mingyu: 
You little , don't you dare

21:17pm 
Hansol: 
I'm sorry, what was that? You were younger than me? You did it in the back of a car with a guy older than you? Scandalous  

21:18pm 
Mingyu: 
I'm putting you up for adoption

21:40pm 
Hansol: 
Wait, have you already had with Minghao?!!!!! Seungkwan needs to know! How! When! What!!

21:42pm 
Mingyu: 
;)

21:43pm 
Mingyu: 
Btw, Minghao is not as innocent as Seungkwan makes out

21:45pm 
Hansol: 
:o :o :o :o :o :o

21:47pm 
Mingyu: 
I swear I've seen that face before ;)

"KIM MINGYU." 
Mingyu bursts into laughter as he hears his brother bang on his wall and slam his door.