Caffeine

Drabbles || One-Shot Collection by Kilotons

"I'm just gonna pour this energy drink into my coffee and hope I won't die" au in which Taehyung is early to one of his lectures and meets a particularly dead-looking classmate


Taehyung woke up from a reasonably restful sleep, which was rare considering he was in college and sleep wasn't an option if he wanted both good grades and a social life. Sitting up and sighing in content, Taehyung stretched his arms before picking up his phone.

10am.

His lecture started at 8.

He has finals today.

'Aw hell no.'

Taehyung shot up out of his bed and woke up. Confused and disheveled, he dug through piles of paper and found his phone. 6am. Goddamn stress dreams. Taehyung, being the good and 'totally' put together student he was, forced himself to get up and head to the library, leaving a good luck note on his sleeping roommate's, Jimin, forehead. After an hour and a half of unproductive studying, Taehyung decided that this just wasn't going to cut it and left to his class.

When he entered the lecture hall, there was only a handful of people there, all of them doing some last-minute cramming except for one. That one classmate, in particular, looked quite...dead. His eyes were struggling to stay open and were drowning in thick black circles as his head bobbed up and down trying to keep itself upright. Intrigued, Taehyung took the seat next to him.

"Didn't get enough sleep last night?" Taehyung asked, smiling gently.

The man jolted, his eyes briefly springing to life. He didn't seem to notice when Taehyung sat down and tried his best to smile back at the stranger.

"Ah, yeah. I forgot that we had finals today and pulled an all-nighter," the man explained.

Taehyung couldn't help but notice that under all the sleepiness, the man was really young. He was cute.

Taehyung chuckled and introduced himself, "I'm Kim Taehyung, junior year. You look pretty young; are you a freshman?"

"I'm Jungkook, and yeah, I'm a freshman."

"This is a third-year class, though. You must be really smart, Jungkook-ssi."

Jungkook waved his hand in protest, "N-Not really. I just really like this subject."

Taehyung smiled as he watched Jungkook talk. He could see Jungkook's muscles through his oversized white shirt, not that he was complaining. As he was talking, Jungkook's eyes began fluttering shut and Taehyung nudged him slightly on the arm. Jungkook blinked awake and smiled, flustered.

Taehyung rummaged through his bag and took out a small bottle, an energy drink, handing it to Jungkook, "I was planning on saving this for later, but I think you kinda need it right now."

"Oh, um, thanks. I have a thermos of coffee, but I could use this, too," Jungkook said, pulling out a metal bottle. Jungkook unscrewed the top and, to Taehyung's surprise and slight horror, pours the energy drink into the coffee. He lifts his eyebrows once, "Bottoms up. Let's hope I don't die after this." 

"J-Jungkook-ssi, you can get a heart attack by doing that!" Taehyung cried out, trying to take the thermos away from Jungkook, who (to Taehyung's dismay) continued chugging and pushing at Taehyung's chest to keep him away. 

Jungkook laughed at Taehyung's pout when he finished. He stopped for a second, a serious expression taking over his face. Taehyung found himself wanting to see his smile again, but Taehyung is greeted with a smile and Jungkook's hand on his head, ruffling his hair.

"You're really cute, Taehyung-ssi."

Taehyung could feel heat swallowing his cheeks, "W-What?"

When Jungkook began laughing hysterically, Taehyung clamped his mouth shut. A tense silence fell over them as they stared at each other. In that moment, Taehyung noticed that, Damn, Jungkook has a really good face. Jungkook had nice, big eyes whose twinkle still showed through the obvious lack of sleep, a nose that was...rather big but gave Jungkook's face a nice charm, and lips that were a really pretty shade of pink. The silence broke when Jungkook nervously cleared his throat. Taehyung kinda wanted to keep staring.

"I-I'm just gonna - we have - there's still twenty minutes left until class starts. I should study," Jungkook rushed, pulling out various books from his bag.

"Oh, um, yeah. I should, too."

Taehyung really wanted to keep staring.

 

~.~.~.~.~

 

When Taehyung was reviewing the answers on the final before submitting it, he saw Jungkook stand up and turn in the assessment, then fall back in his seat making a loud thud. The professor scowled at the man, but Jungkook was already asleep before he could notice. Taehyung submitted the assessment and waited until class was dismissed to wake Jungkook up. Somewhere in forgetting all the material on the final, Taehyung found himself committing Jungkook's face to memory. Taehyung figured it was probably creepy to be staring at his newly acquainted classmate while he was sleeping, but he couldn't help himself.

Eventually, the professor dismissed everyone and it was time for Jungkook to wake up. Trying to be as gentle as possible, Taehyung tried various methods to wake Jungkook up. All of which failed. Jungkook was out cold, which was expected after the amount of caffeine he consumed. 

"I'm sorry, but you two are going to have to leave. I have another group coming in in a few minutes," the professor stated.

"Sorry, Mr. It's just, he won't wake up and I don't wanna leave him here and I don't know which dorm he's in," Taehyung explained, embarrassed.

"I don't care what you have to do, just make sure you're both out of here before the next lecture starts."

Taehyung ended up carrying Jungkook back to his room.

 

~.~.~.~.~

 

"Tae, why the hell are you carrying someone on your back. Why do they look dead. Why are you entering the roOM THEY'RE NOT STAYING HERE, ARE THEY?"

"Jimin, chill. This is Jungkook, I met him before the taking the finals and he fell asleep and I didn't want to leave him in the lecture hall but the professor was yelling at me so I just-"

"Brought him here instead," Jimin deadpanned with a face that screamed done, "You said Jungkook? He's in the dance club. He's hella good. Roommates with Namjoon-hyung."

"Wait, Jimin, you know him? Like, you're friends? You've hung out and danced and crap and you didn't introduce him to me?!" Taehyung asked, genuinely offended, "How can you keep something as hot as him away from me?"

Jimin nonchalantly shrugged, "I always tell you to come to our dance showcases. He's always front and center, you would've seen him dancing. Not gonna lie, but he looks pretty y when he dances. The little is annoying though, he doesn't call me hyung and says I'm short."

Taehyung's face fell flat. He opened his mouth to say, "I'm telling Yoongi-hyung."

"You wouldn't."

"Try me, ."

 

~.~.~.~.~

 

Jungkook woke up three hours later. He sat up on the couch where he placed, taking off the blanket that Taehyung carefully draped over him when he was shivering. Taking a look around, he saw Jimin.

"Oh, Jimin."

Jimin took his lips off of the water bottle he was sipping from and his narrowed his eyes, "It's 'Jimin-hyung' to you."

"Yeah, whatever. Why am I here? Last thing I remember I was..."

A noticeable blush spread on Jungkook's cheeks when he recalled his conversation with Taehyung. When he saw Jimin's smirk, he shook his head, clearing himself of any red coloring his cheeks, "I was in the lecture hall."

"Yeah, Taehyung carried you here. Said he didn't know where your room is, so he put you on the couch. He's out to get ramen from the store."

Jungkook nervously stuttered, trying to seem casual, "Uh, did he - you know - say anything else?"

Jimin's smirk deepened, taunting Jungkook. Shrugging, he lied, "Oh, you know. Just talked about the finals, his stress dream that he always gets before the tests, the usual. Nothing special."

It took every ounce of self-control in Jimin's small body to keep a straight face when he saw Jungkook's face shatter. Said person tried to smile, "Ah, okay. Good to, uh, good to know."

Jimin walked out to the corridor, but not before saying, "Oh yeah. He also said that you're hot."

Jimin didn't have to look back to know that Jungkook was smiling so hard that his face was splitting in half.

 

~.~.~.~.~

 

Taehyung came back to a Jimin-less room and an awake Jungkook. When Jungkook's eyes scanned Taehyung from head-to-toe, Taehyung pretended not to notice and smiled.

"Good morning, Jungkook-ssi!" Taehyung joked. He held up the bag he was holding, "I got some ramen, are you hungry?"

Jungkook timidly nodded and Taehyung pretended not to notice how closed off Jungkook seemed. Taehyung heated up some water and poured it into the ramen cup, handing it to Jungkook, "Be careful, Kook, it's hot."

"Thanks, hyung - I mean - Taehyung...ssi."

Taehyung froze before pouring some water into his own ramen cup, "You can call me hyung if you want. It's cute."

Suddenly the room was too cramped and the air was too thick and Jungkook was too close yet too far away and nothing seemed right. Jungkook had that look on his face again, like he was trying to do some really hard calculations for math homework. Except there was no math homework and there was only Taehyung.

"Sorry if that was a bit, um, forward," Taehyung tried.

But this time the look on Jungkook's face didn't go away as he shifted his gaze from an invisible spot on the floor to meet Taehyung's. Taehyung swallowed, not knowing why Jungkook was acting so tense and awkward. Not knowing what to do, Taehyung bit his lip and Jungkook gulped, Adam's Apple bobbing.

"I think you're cute. And I think you think that I'm cute," Jungkook started.

Taehyung stirred his ramen with the chopsticks in his hand and nodded slowly.

"Go out with me," Jungkook forced out quickly.

Taehyung smiled, "Okay."

 

~.~.~.~.~

 

"Happy anniversary, Kook!"

After a year of dating, Jungkook and Taehyung had moved past their awkward start and grew closer together. They watched crappy anime together, danced together (and Jungkook was as y as Jimin said he was; Taehyung attended every dance showcase after that), and they iled Jimin together like there was no tomorrow. Jungkook looked up from his phone and smiled. He stood up and gladly accepted the box of chocolates that Taehyung was holding out for him.

"Oh yeah. Happy anniversary, babe," Jungkook smiled, wrapping his arm around Taehyung's waist and pressing a kiss to his cheek.

Taehyung pouted cutely, "Did you forget?"

Jungkook kissed Taehyung's pout away and chuckled, "Cute. Of course, I didn't, hyung. You don't have that little faith in me, do you?"

Taehyung pecked Jungkook's cheek as his boyfriend lead him to Taehyung's bedroom, "Maybe. Why are you taking me to my room? Do you want me that bad?"

Jungkook rolled his eyes and picked Taehyung up and slung him over his shoulder like he weighed nothing. He opened the door, then gently put him down on the floor, "Appreciate it, you idiot."

Taehyung's room was filled with gifts, including a huge teddy bear. On his walls, there were post-it notes, each with a reason why Jungkook loved Taehyung. When Taehyung didn't say anything for a whole minute, Jungkook hugged Taehyung from the back. 

"Do you like it, Tae?" Jungkook asked, nervous.

Taehyung turned around, eyes glassy but a huge, boxy smile on his face. Burying his face in Jungkook's shirt, he nodded, "Yeah, I love it. Thank you so much, Jungkook. I love you."

Jungkook smiled and held Taehyung's cheek, leaning in and kissing him deeply. He rested his forehead against Taehyung's and whispered against his lips, "I love you, too."

 


 

Ever since my friend told me about this prompt, it's been in the back of my mind and I really wanted to write it ^^;

I hope you enjoyed my first drabble! If you have a prompt, please comment below so I can try writing it!

~Kilotons