Abrupt Goodbye, pt. 2

Something more Serious

Taehyung slumped back into his bed, raising a slight concern with the many nurses surrounding him. “Ok,” He murmured, “You can continue with the treatment.” The nurses started to pump an amber liquid through the IV in his chest.

Taehyung didn’t like the sight of needles, so he prefered to look away whenever they did that part of the treatment. Today was different, though. The nurse told him to pay close attention from his angle, to see if the liquid stopped. He was told that it was a very important part of his therapy, so Taehyung watched the liquid, not blinking, until his eyes started to water.

The nurse looked at him and smiled. “It’s ok, you can stop.” All of the nurses adored Taehyung, especially since he had been in and out of the hospital all of his life.

The one who was talking to him, Kim Eunha, loved the 17-year-old like a little brother. When he first came into the hospital with complaints of chest pains, dizziness, and sweating, she had known that his condition was more serious than the 6-year-old let on. Through his extensive treatments, she got to know him.

His parents were so cutthroat they were disappointed that their son had serious heart conditions. They were never around the hospital, trusting the staff enough. Taehyung had once explained that he had let down his parents. His older brother had been on the honor roll, accepted to the best colleges in South Korea, on his high school’s undefeated basketball and baseball team, and had a smart, pretty girlfriend they approved of.

While Taehyung was smart, earning straight A’s even though most of his time was spent in the hospital, he could never participate in sports. A social life was hard for him, being locked up like that. But he bared it with a smile on his face, even 11 years later. That was Eunha adored most about him.

Taehyung watched as she prepped a needle with some clear liquid, and then stuck it into his arm. He winced a little, and looked at Eunha. “What is it, Noona?” He asked. “It’s a drug to help with unclogging your veins around your heart,” Eunha replied. "Try not to flinch when I give it to you. It might risk a slight overdose, but even a slight one can cause some complications in your process.”

Taehyung looked down. “Oh.” Eunha quickly glanced up, and was about to cheer him up when Yoongi burst into the room. “Well, what have we here,” he said, glancing at the bed, and then moving towards the heart monitor. “Hyung!” Taehyung exclaimed, showing off his signature boxy smile. “Aish, too loud,” Yoongi complained. But he let a slight smile escape.

Being with Taehyung always made him feel better, like a giant weight had been lifted off his shoulders. But he couldn’t let on, especially in front of all of those cute nurses. Taehyung hurriedly said, “Oh, I forgot to ask; did you ever see the person in the room next to me? Jimin?” Yoongi replied, “Yeah, I just escorted him to get his cast on. He was probably left already. Why?”

Taehyung blushed. “No reason. I just thought that… You know. Maybe I could have friend outside of the hospital.” Eunha looked at Taehyung, and then at Yoongi. Yoongi turned and stared at Eunha. They had never thought about Taehyung being unhappy with his social situation. Now they felt so dumb. Of course Taehyung wasn’t content, when his only friends were doctors and nurses. Now, the one time when he had made a friend, he hadn’t stayed long enough to get his number, or stay in contact.

Eunha approached Taehyung and said, “You know, Tae, miracles do happen. The universe has handed you curveball after curveball. Now, I think it’s time for you to get a home run.”