Xeon: 01 / Wee Woo

Applyfic Fanfics: Viva Edition
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
Wee Woo  ·  01  ·  Squad, Assemble! 〉〉 ////////////////// ////////////////// BANG YOUNGBI ////////////////// ////////////////// KANG JAEWON ////////////////// ////////////////// WOO CHAHEE ////////////////// ////////////////// KIM SEUNGHA ////////////////// ////////////////// CHA WONSOO ////////////////// ////////////////// SEO JINYEON ////////////////// ////////////////// LEE BAEKHEE 〈〈 "Baekheeeeeeee!!!!!!!!" Youngbi boomed, in one long, continuous howl as she launched out of her seat and towards the door, on tiptoe so that her sailed just over the narrow gap with desks on side and table on the other. Wonsoo had just enough time to set down her clipboard and steady a desktop, wobbling dangerously from the sailing . In the corner of her eye, she could see Jaewon pause mid-sip of coffee and grab their captain's swivel chair before it careened into a napping Seungha. Well, previously napping Seungha. The sudden yelling had been more than effective as an alarm clock.

"Where...?" Seungha began, squinting through stray hairs, at the same time Youngbi reached the door and shrieked happily.

"Baekhee!!!! You're here! I told you they'd let you into our division!! See?!" Youngbi yanked the girl in the doorway into her arms, wrapping the poor soul in all her muscled kilograms. To her credit, the girl—Baekhee—giggled with only the slightest edge of pain. Wonsoo imagined the front of a police uniform shirt, with all the buttons and badges, would be quite a lot to have crushed against one's person (especially Baekhee's person, with glasses and her own uniform). Given Youngbi's formidable chokeholds, she expected no less of the woman's hugs, friendly though they may be. Perhaps she was lucky to have never been on the receiving end of one of those hugs, if the slight breathlessness in Baekhee's laughter was any indication.

Jaewon, apparently satisfied that no Seunghas were harmed in the making of Youngbi's welcome, set down her coffee and swooped in (sans -sailing) besides Youngbi. Even if their unofficial co-captain was shorter than Baekhee and quite a ways shorter than Youngbi, she reached up like it was second nature to ruffle Baekhee's hair. She only beamed when the younger girl murmured something about her mother doing the braid, which faded into a pout as Jaewon offered her own greeting.

"Welcome back, Baekhee. I think it goes without saying, but we're glad to have your presence here in our elite corner of the force made official. As you can already tell." She jerked her chin towards Youngbi, who now just barely stood back, hands clamped on Baekhee's shoulder and breaths puffing out through her smile—every bit like the uniformed puppy that she was sometimes called in the snack room, until Chahee took charge of enthusiastically fetching coffees. Fetching, puppy, ha. It had been less funny when "puppy" devolved into a word for female dog. When Chahee took over all snack room duties, she seemed to take over the nicknames as well (though puppy got nixed pretty quickly, from what Wonsoo could overhear).

With a bang, Chahee bursted through the door that had just swung shut, with one hand floating towards the weapons on her belt.

"I heard screaming! Are you al..."

Then the image in front of her clicked. Youngbi, who stared back mid-babble; Baekhee, who at least looked apologetic for the ruckus; Jaewon, who didn't even try to hide her pfft-ing at Chahee's (quickly fading) concern. "Why," Chahee sighed, almost to herself. "Why did I ever think your sorry butts would..."

"Because you love our butts, sorry or not," replied an all-too-pleased Jaewon. Chahee rounded on her immediately, eyes flaring. Her eyebrows disappeared entirely into neatly groomed bangs, which Wonsoo had once found her smoothing out in the bathroom. Chahee had left without so much as touching the sink, and when Wonsoo glanced over, there weren't even water droplets clinging to the basin. It had been concerning, for a moment there, until Wonsoo realized that there'd be no need to wash hands after simply straightening one's hair. This sort of thing was probably why that woman was constantly spending too long on any errand outside this room—this, and the fact that she can't seem to stand them.

"I tried to tell her it was nothing," Jinyeon muttered, squeezing past an indignant Chahee and waving at Baekhee, who fixed her glasses before bursting into a full-face smile: eyes, mouth, dimples, everything. The smile on Jinyeon's face was probably half the size of Baekhee's, but the meeting of the maknaes went just like Jinyeon herself: short and just courteous enough. Jinyeon had been part of the original four who made up this division—before Wonsoo was added, Jaewon invited herself, and Chahee got dragged in by the ponytail—but sometimes, it really didn't seem like it. For as long as Wonsoo could remember, the younger detective always made a straight shot from the door to her shared desk with Seungha, at varying speeds depending on how alive she was inside. Today was a slower day; Jinyeon assumed a careful pace, even after dropping off a tray of coffees (Chahee must've passed them to her before dashing back). She grabbed two cups from the tray before twisting between the common table and the row of desks, to continue towards the detectives' desk. Wonsoo nodded at Jinyeon as she passed and got a half-bow in return, along with a slight look of panic as Jinyeon realized none of the coffees in her hand were for Wonsoo.

"It's fine. I'll just help myself," Wonsoo said. "Like someone just did."

Jaewon glanced up, already sipping from a fresh cup. "Guilty as charged."

"You had a cup already," Wonsoo pointed out.

"Eh." Jaewon made a dismissive gesture towards her desk and the cup she had just set down. "That thing is cold and empty like Chahee tries to be."

Chahee squawked with great offense and a budding rant on how ful-fill-ing and heart-warming her work as a policewoman should be. Under the cover of conversation, Jinyeon ducked out, making the rest of her trek in record time and setting the two cups right next to a faceplanted Seungha. She huffed and prodded the pile of hair. "How the hell did you sleep through that?" At the complete non-response, Jinyeon huffed again, settling against the edge of Seungha's desk and trying to work some papers out from under Seungha's face, lest she drool on them again. Wonsoo figured he'd missed her chance to correct the other detective now. Granted, it was s
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter