Final

The day I ...

Sometimes love hits you out of the blue. 

 

You sat just next to him, already committing to memory the clothes and shoes he wore and his bag thrown carelessly at his side. You could even remember the song on the radio playing in the quiet cafe as he fiddled with his phone, looking on nonchalantly. But you knew he was anything but that, he was in fact, nervous and awkward,  or not entirely good with people he just met.

 

 

You resisted the urge to lean towards him as you inhaled deeply, his scent reminding you of a white jasmine - beautiful, white and fragrant. You remember trying to grab a hold of yourself and to put an explanation to the burgeoning emotions welling up inside you at meeting this unique individual who would likely be your co-star. 

 

 

Then you blurted out the question which was captured by the camera "Are you straight?" You knew he was lying when he answered in affirmative, your heart strangely happy at his hesitation and reddened cheeks. 

 

 

You had wondered at your incessant teasing of him, every single time, somehow feeling much joy when he sarcastically retorted back. You thought it was normal to do what you did, cooking, caring, giving - afterall he is your roommate and you are supposed to take care of him, right? Yet you did not know, what you felt for him, then,  was more than affection for a Friend or even a Brother. How could you, a modern day Romeo, feel more than just friendship for another man? 

 

You could still recall, laughing at the absurdity of falling in love with a man, when questioned by some of the staff. You waved them off dismissively, but felt a sudden strong stinging stab to your heart when you caught sight at the somewhat change of expression on his face and by now one you could clearly identify - pain in his bright brown eyes. At that time, you could not react, did not react when a light smile that could not reached his eyes masked his face immediately.

 

 

And that prick to your stubborn heart would have haunted you for the next few nights, as you tossed and turned in your bed. 

 

 

It would be exactly a week later, on a bright yet chilly morning, as you both greeted each other while you were pushing your luggage to the front door that you finally realised. 

 

With total and absolute clarity.

 

That you were in love. With him. 

 

That you had always loved him. 

 

That you probably loved him since the first time you met him. 

 

No. You loved him when you first laid your eyes on him. 

 

 

 

He stood there in his frazzled hair and crumpled loose shirt, staring at you. As if waiting for a response. But you must have missed what he asked. 

 

And you thought he could not have looked more beautiful. 

 

 

"I love you." You let the words tumbled out as his eyes widened comically. 

 

"Huh?" His eyebrows furrowed in disbelief as he continued staring at you. 

 

 

"It is not funny," he finally let out, his confused yet hurt expression jolted you into action.

 

 

You took two steps forward when you noticed him backing away and you grabbed his wrist tightly. Somehow the words you were thinking about were out of your mouth before you can even processed them. 

 

"I...I do. I really do love you. For a long time now."

 

 

"You are lying," he muttered, trying to remove his hand from yours. 

 

 

"Please, baby, please look at me," you begged desperately, trying to make him face you. 

 

 

You stopped as his brown orbs met yours. And mentally scolded yourself for causing him the hurt and disappointment for not realising sooner. You knew. You knew it then that he was in love with you too. For a long time now. 

 

 

You did not look away as he stared at you, willing him to look deep into your heart which was already his at the first place. Your heart skipped a beat when he finally finally smiled. A genuine broad smile that lighted up his entire face. A smile that was just reserved for you. You found his hands relaxed into your grip, the warmth of his palms pressing onto yours. 

 

Of course, the phone got to ring at the most important crucial moment. 

 

"I promise. I promise I will make it up to you." You breathed out, wishing somehow that the two of you were alone in a deserted island. Because this very moment is worth dropping all things for, you would want it locked into your memories and his as well.

 

 

"You will," he replied just as softly as he bit his lips, a little unsure if he should say what comes next. "You...you have forever to do so." 

 

 

You could not help but laughed out loud. Not at him but with him.   His sincere words struck you right at the core of your heart, as faith and hope started its first bloom. Then, you tucked in a strand of his stray hair behind his left ear, taking in the pleasant red blush dotting his pale white cheeks before you lean forward to wordlessly capture his sweet lips, savouring the last few seconds before you needed to go. A real first kiss between the two of you. Soft yet certain. Simple yet passionate. 

 

Yes, indeed, why worry when you both have forever.