A not so funny joke

Just Us Two

Author's notes:

I just want to extend my gratitude to all of you for receiving my story with a warm welcome. I've read all your comments and I seriously appreciate each one of it. Anyhow, this is the third chapter as promised hehe. I've been struggling with JK's pov and how to go about it. But here it is, enjoy y'all! :) 


-----------------------------------------

SJK POV

 

“Oppa, are you okay?” Seolhyun asked me as soon as she gave our orders to the waitress “You’ve been quiet since this morning. Is something bothering you?” I looked at Seolhyun’s face and saw the concern on her face. I brushed away a few hair strands that fell on her cheeks and gave her a tight smile.  

 

“I’m sorry if I’m feeling off today” I exhaled as I myself don’t understand why. Actually, my mind doesn’t but I’m pretty sure my heart knows why and it has got to do with last night’s event. It’s my first time attending family dinner after I have finished my masters and I’d have to say,  its one family dinner I’ll never forget. Funny how of all places we could have had our first encounter, it has to be last night. Her surprised face when she saw me is still vivid in my head. Our encounter left me startled just as much as it did her. But what fascinated me more is the fact that she’s friends with Mina. Just when I thought the world is a vast jungle, here I am crossing paths with Hye Kyo. Funny how life can play jokes on you sometimes.  “I guess I’m just tired with work” I know it's not the real reason but it can pass as an excuse for now. I mean what can I do? It’s not like I can just tell her that my encounter with her last night made me feel this way...whatever it is I’m feeling.

 

She my cheeks and gave me her sweet smile “You could have just stayed at home to rest then. I could have just cooked for you” she reprimanded me as usual. Her concern for me never fails to amaze me. I didn’t know what I did to deserve her. She knew from the start that there’s only so much I can give in this relationship. I initially didn’t want to accept her because I was still nursing my broken heart at that time but she was persistent and patiently stood by my side the whole time.

 

“No worries, this will wear off in no time” I reached for her hand and lightly caressed it to reassure her that everything’s okay. “Besides, you’re the one who just came from a 12 hour flight. If there’s anyone who should be resting right now, it’s you”

 

“Ha! You think I’ll pass up a chance to see Hyun sik Oppa and Mina eonnie?” Seolhyun is a long time family friend. I would often see her on social occasions but I was never really close to her when we were kids, just our parents. She played more with Hyun sik and Mina because according to her, she found me scary back then.

 

“You’re right, it’s been a while” I agreed with her. I think we can use a little mini reunion although I still felt guilty about dragging her here. “But I will drop you to your place as soon as we’re done”

 

“Yes, sir!” she grinned at me and glanced at her watch. “Where are they anyway?” she asked and I was about to grab my phone to give them a call when I felt a tap on my shoulder.

 

“Hyung, I’m sorry we’re late” I looked up and saw Hyun sik. I gave him a firm tap on his shoulder then turned to my right to greet Mina but to my surprise, it was Hye Kyo standing in front of me. She was so taken aback to see me, I saw her pupils grew round as full as the moon. My heart stopped beating for a second or probably longer and held my breath at the sight in front of me. She was a sight to behold, I almost forgot how beautiful she was. For three years I admired that beauty and I was so used to seeing such ethereal face. For three years my life was a bliss until it all went down the drain. I thought it was the end of me. I was in Limbo for years and up until now I can’t fully say I’m out of that circle. All of a sudden I felt nostalgic. It was a bittersweet memory but what dawned on me is the bitter feeling lingering down my stomach. I can’t help but remember all the pain as memories flash through my head like a reminder of some sort.

 

“Oh this is Hye Kyo, she was with Mina last night. Do you remember?” Hyun Sik spoke, causing Hye Kyo to look at his direction. “Hye Kyo this is Seolhyun, Hyung’s fiancee” I froze at his words. My gaze went from the floor to Hye Kyo, only to find her looking at me as if expecting an answer. I couldn’t find my voice to speak. Her eyes are pleading and I can see that it won’t be long enough until her eyes will start to form water. I may be wrong but everyday, for three years, I’ve stared at those eyes to the point of reading her emotion just by looking at it. Shoot.

 

“Yaaa, Oppa! Stop fooling around, will you?” Seolhyun spoke in a warning tone. She moved closer to me and extended her arms towards Hye Kyo “Im Seolhyun, oppa’s girlfriend” Hye Kyo shook her hand and gave her a polite smile. I can’t believe this is happening. I always knew I would cross paths with Hye Kyo someday and was caught me off guard as it happened sooner than expected, but this?  Seriously, how interesting can my life possibly get? Why is she here anyway?

 

“Where’s Mina?” I can’t help my curiosity. She asked for this lunch and yet she’s nowhere to be found?

 

“Hangover” Still? Why didn’t she tell me? And if so, what is Hye Kyo doing here...with him? Suddenly my phone rang and I reached for my phone to check who’s calling. It’s Appa. I excused myself from them and went out to the veranda to take the call.

 

-----------------------------------------

SHK POV

“Shall we eat? I’m starving already” Hyun Sik went around the table to pull a chair out for me. I followed him and gave him a grateful smile after I took my seat.

“We already ordered in, I hope you don’t mind” Seolhyun said. I’m not going to lie, she’s very beautiful. She has the ideal height of a girl. Her face gives off a very sweet and innocent aura while her posture, gesture, and manner of speaking screams elegance. One can tell that she came from an affluent upbringing.

From where I’m sitting, I can see Joong ki’s side profile. He looked serious and even from afar, I can see his forehead creasing.  My line of sight was cut when the waiter poured water into our glasses. “So, are you here for good?” Hyun sik asked Seolhyun and for some reason that made me curious as well.

“No, just for vacation” she paused for a second when the appetizer came in then continued “ but I’m actually giving a thought to it” Oh? that just made me even more curious.

“So, what’s stopping you?” Hyun sik asked and before she could even answer, Joong Ki came back from the Veranda.

“I’m so sorry for cutting your conversation but I need to head back to the office”

“What? Now? But we haven’t eaten anything yet” Seolhyun complained “You should at least eat some before you go”

“Hyung, we just got here” Hyun sik said, agreeing with Seolhyun “I’m sure you can spare us 20 minutes of your time”

“I really can’t. I have an unexpected meeting in 5” he sighed then turned towards Seolhyun “As much as I want to drop you at your place, I know you must be starving already. I’ll just ask the driver to bring you home, is that okay?”

Seolhyun let out a loud sigh and cupped the cheeks of Joong ki “I just arrived less than 24 hours and my boyfriend is ditching me already? Aigoo” she teased and Joong ki gave an apologetic smile.

“I’m really sorry but I have to go now” he placed a kiss on Seolhyun’s forehead. The sight in front of me made my heart clench. I looked away as I felt a pang of jealousy. Stupid jealousy. He stood up and bid both Hyun sik and I goodbye. To be honest, I’m beyond grateful for that meeting. If that simple gesture turned my emotions upside down, I can’t even imagine the scenario of us three sitting down together the whole lunch.

In all fairness the lunch went smooth and there was no hint of awkwardness of some sort. In fact, I learned so much about Seolhyun and Hyun sik. They’ve known each other since they were a kid. Out of all the four, the two were the closest. She designs clothes and has her own boutique in New York. So that explains her great taste in clothes.  She used to work in a fashion magazine before deciding to pursue her dream of owning a clothing store. Meanwhile, I’ve learned about Hyun sik’s athletic life before he gave in to his parent’s pressure of participating in their own business. He used to play for a local team in california before he got injury, causing his career. Now, he manages their family’s restaurant. Now I understand why he has such great body.

Hyun sik walked me back to the studio while Seolhyun got picked up by the driver. “Thank you so much for the lunch” I said as soon as we came inside.

“I apologized if I failed to let you know that we have company” he said “But I hope you enjoyed”

“No, it’s fine. And of course I had fun” it’s actually the truth despite what happened. “You should get going, I don’t want to bother you any longer”

“Ouch! So now you’re kicking me out?” he teased, feigning pain as he hit his chest and made a pout.

I chuckled at his action “Waaah. I had no idea you can act cute”

“So you think I’m cute?” he said with a wide grin on his face.

I shook my head in disbelief “Seriously?” is the only thing I can say

“Alright, I’ll get off now” he said after noting the time placed on the wall “but you owe me lunch”  What? I was about to ask him why when he raised his finger and stopped me. I shot him a questioning look but just chortled. Without saying a word, he just walked towards the door and went out.

“Yaaaa!” I shouted at him. Haish that guy. I just smiled and shook my head. I think I just made a new friend and it actually felt refreshing.

-----------------------------------------

 

“Aunt Hye kyoooooooo!” I heard high pitch voices as I approach the small house. I heard little footsteps running towards my direction and I was welcomed by a handful of small arms not long before I reached to open the door.

 

“Heeey guys!” I greeted with a warm smile as I bent down to receive the embrace of four little kids. I gave each one of them a kiss on their cheeks. “Were you behave the whole time I was out?” I received a loud yes which made me smile once more.  I rubbed each of their hair and noticed a pair of brown eyes staring at from the side corner. I asked the kids to go inside and bribed them gifts if they get inside before I finished counting to three. Like a bullet, they all ran towards the house and I stood up to approach the the owner of the brown eyes.

“Wow, is this for me?” I gave a huge smile and smelled the stem of roses “Hmmm. This smells so good. But you don’t have to give me a rose, you know”

 

“I know. But this rose is such a beauty just like you” that made my heart swell and I bent my knee to match brown eyes of a six year old kid.

 

“Thank you for this, Dae hyun ah!” I ruffled his hair and opened my arms, asking for an embrace. He gave me a bright smile and went into my arms for an embrace. “Have you been a good boy?”

 

He just nodded his head as a response. I touched his arms and placed him at an arm’s length. “That’s good to hear. Do you want to go inside the house?” again, he just gave me a nod and  I took his hand. Dae hyun is one of the many kids in this orphanage. Every sunday, I regularly pay my visit and help out with the kids. However, with the the past couple of months, I rarely get to visit the house due to my busy schedule. Now that I have spare time, I was excited to finally go back and see the kids.

 

“Oh, Hye kyo ah, it’s been awhile” greeted by sister Hee Jung, one of the nuns in charge of taking care of the orphanage.

 

“Yes, sister. I’m sorry it took me awhile before I could go back and visit you again” I said, immediately apologetic as I felt guilty for not visiting soon enough.

 

“Oh no, don’t be. I’m actually happy you’re here, I’m sure the kids are ten time happier to see you” she chuckled and looked at the children who were all gathered in the living room, busy with their own little world. I smiled at the sight I witnessed. I’ve went through a lot of stress lately and I think my visit will give me a light feeling. “Why don’t you eat something first?

 

“I’m fine, sister. I just had my breakfast and I’m still full” I felt something tugging at my hand and I looked down to see it was Dae hyun. “Yes, Dae hyun ah. What is it?” instead of answering, he just showed me a piece of paper with a face of a girl drawn on it. Dae hyun joined the orphanage when he was four.  According to reports, he was involved in an accident. Both of his parents died and he was the only one who survived. His story was published in several newspaper and even made announcements for the living relatives to get the child. Unfortunately, no relative came and so he was transferred here in Daegu. He never uttered a word since the day he came and never spoke to anyone due to trauma he incurred from the accident. Luckily, for some reason he found my presence comforting enough to give a response even if it’s just a nod. I couldn’t fully say that he has recovered, but he’s changed a lot over the years. He became more responsive as he would now smile, laugh, or pout. It’s very rare when he speaks like the one earlier but it just melts my heart everytime he does.

 

“Wow. That’s a very pretty drawing, who’s that pretty girl?” he smiled at my remark and happily pointed his finger at me. He hand me the piece of paper and I knew that he’s giving his drawing to me. “Waah, is this really for me? Thank you, Dae hyun ah” I ruffled his hair and he just gave me his biggest smile.

 

“Aunt Kyo, someone’s looking for you” said the little girl whom I think is the bravest among all the kids here “who is it, Ha Eun ah?”

 

She just shrugged her shoulder “I don’t know. All I know is that he’s really good looking and that he’s looking for you”

 

“Waaah. Is my Ha Eun a big girl now to notice a handsome man, huh?” I and she just giggled at me.

 

“Aunt Kyo, I’ve always been a big girl” she crossed her arms and gave me a pout as if she was hurt by what I just said. I chuckled at her antics for it was too cute.

 

I gave her a peck on her check “Of course. You’re my big girl, right?” her then gloom expression suddenly transformed to a bright smile. I let a loud sigh when I realized that I’m so stupid for not giving time for these children despite my hectic schedule. I’ve missed so much and they all have grown so fast.

 

I walked towards the living room along with Ha Eun and Dae hyun. I stopped when I saw Hyun sik playing with the kids already. He stood up as soon as he saw me. “Hyun sik, what are you doing here?” how on earth did he found about this.

 

“Uh, Mina. She told me you’re here”  he said as if he sensed what was running on my mind “I called you but you’re not answering. I thought you didn’t want to see me anymore” he teased.

 

Then I remembered I left my phone today. “Oh, I’m sorry I left my phone today. Did you need anything?” it must be important if he came all the way here.

 

“Oh uh…” he stammered, trying to find his words. I waited for his answer and for some weird reason I felt nervous “actually….. I’m just here to collect your debt”

 

“What?” I creased my forehead, trying to remember if I owe him anything.

 

“You owe me a lunch, remember?” What is he talking about? The it hit me. He’s not serious, is he?

 

I crossed my arms and lifted my chin “Seriously? You came all the way here because you think I owe you lunch?” I laughed in disbelief when he just nodded.

 

“I think I’ll just leave since guessing from your reaction, you don’t want my company”he pouted and I seriously want to punch him for being this shallow  “What do you think, Jin won ah? Do you think she doesn’t like me here?” he turned toward the five year old kid.

 

“Aunt Kyo, don’t let uncle leave, please” he linked his two hands together and gave me a puppy eyes

 

“Waaaah. I can’t believe you’re even bribing the kids now, huh. Alright, you won” I raised my two hands and sighed in defeat.

 

We transferred from the living room to the lawn area while waiting for lunch. Hyun sik played soccer with the boys while I played dolls with the girls. I called them as soon as lunch was ready. The kids definitely enjoyed Hyun sik’s company. Even before we reached the door after saying our goodbye, they already asked when his next visit would be. After that day, I realized what a good man he is. It’s not easy to interact with kids. It takes patient and a big heart to do so. After almost four hours of long drive, we finally reached my apartment. I debated whether I should invite him inside or not but the thought made me uncomfortable for some reason. No guy has ever been inside my place.

 

“Uh..thank you for today and the for taking me home” I unbuckled my seat and took my bag from the mat. There was a an awkward but not long before he spoke.

 

“You’re most welcome” he smiled at me. It looked like he wanted to say something else but decided not to. “You should go now and rest” I returned his smile and went inside my place.

 

-----------------------------------------

 

The week went by so fast, I had not realized it’s friday already. We were packed with shoots while Mina’s busy with juggling work and preparing for her exhibit next week. “I’ll get it!” I shouted when I heard the bell rang which signals that someone is in the studio.

 

I stopped dead on my tracks when I saw Joong Ki. What is he doing here? I felt my heart beat fast and there was an awkward silence between us. Seriously, how many times do we have to cross path?  “Is Mina here?” he broke the silence. Of course he’s here to see Mina, silly. Geez, I forgot they’re cousins. Ugh. Of all the cousins he could have, why does it have to be Mina?

 

“Oppa! Is that you?” Mina shouted as she emerged from her office. “I’m sorry, I wasn’t able to pick up your calls. There’s just too many things on my plate right now. Kyo, can you bring oppa to the meeting room?” Meeting room? So that only means one thing, he’s here for business. “Oh shoot! I Forgot to tell you. Oppa’s the client I’ve talked to you about” I tried to recall what Mina’s talking about when I remembered that she did mention it last night before I went home. She’s too busy fixing all the things needed for her exhibit that she forgot to tell mo who and I didn’t bother to ask  since I’ll be meeting the client anyway. Besides, it happens.

 

The song corporation will launch Joong Ki as its new heir. The campaign is supposed to introduce Joong Ki to the people and so the plan is to feature Joong Ki in a business magazine. The attack should be personal and so we thought that it’s best to show Joong Ki’s humble beginnings before he became part of the board member. I suggested why not hold the shoot in London since that’s where he gained most of his experience. Also, it will serve as his credentials that can help built his reputation among board members. Everyone was on board with the plan when something went amiss.

 

“ME?” I shouted a little too loud. Mina was surprised by my sudden outburst and I felt the weight of Joong Ki’s stare. “I mean...this is too soon and I also have my obligations” I explained to them and I felt my cheeks burned.

 

“Oppa, is that the only free time you have?” Mina asked and he just nod his head. You’ve gotta be kidding me, right? “Hye kyo ah, I’m so sorry for putting you in this situation, but the Time magazine needs the photos ten days from now. I also can’t go with oppa to London for the shoot since I won’t be able to make it on time for my exhibit”

 

“Alright. I’ll do the photoshoot, then” was all I managed to say. I mean what else can I say? It’s not like I can tell Mina I don’t want to go to London with my ex.

 

-----------------------------------------

Author's notes:

Weeeee. I'm excited about their trip and I can't wait to see how it would turn out hehe. Oh and btw, I actually had fun writing Hyun sik's character lol. Anyhow stay tuned for chapter four and it might take awhile since deadlines are piling up my doorstep. But we'll see, I might be able to upload it sooner because I'm super excited about their trip.