Homesick Cravings

For the Times in Between

Time period: a couple of months into Joshua’s first pregnancy


“Jeonghan!”

He stood up. Jeonghan could hear that whine in Joshua’s voice. It was a good couple of months and Joshua had finally hit the dreaded cravings. “Coming baby.” He practically ran the length of the hallway of their new house, reaching their room. “What’s wrong?”

With a pout on his pretty lips, Joshua said, “I want ice cream. I think we still have it. The chocolate fudge.”

He nodded. “A bowl or the whole thing?”

“A bowl. Can’t eat it all now,” Joshua said, dropping the pout as Jeonghan acknowledged that he would get it for him.

“Anything else?” Anything for his pregnant husband.

Joshua shook his head. “No. Just the ice cream.” He frowned, moving back into the pillows. “I hate this back pain.”

“I’ll massage you later,” Jeonghan promised. “Let me get that ice cream.”

Smiling at Jeonghan, Joshua said, “Love you.”

Jeonghan winked. “Me too.”


Jeonghan would do anything for his husband, his lover, his precious spoiled brat. But Joshua was running him ragged with all of his demands. He understood that Joshua’s back was aching, a byproduct of carrying the new weight in his stomach. A large weight it seemed as the doctor said the baby was rather large if the stomach width was anything to go by.

Jeonghan laid on their couch, arm covering his eyes. Joshua had taken a nap after eating the chocolate Jeonghan had to run out and get. Imported chocolate. His baby liked that stuff on certain days. They normally didn’t stock it at home as Joshua tended towards his American snacks like Twix and Kit Kats. But their first child seemed to develop a liking towards the more expensive chocolates.

He groaned into the air. Who knew that tending to his husband would be so much work? He remembered scoffing at his father-in-law when he warned Jeonghan that Joshua would no doubt be like his mom and be demanding with his cravings. Joshua didn’t demand. Not often. All he had to do was bat his lashes and Jeonghan would cave.

He closed his eyes. Sleep. He needed sleep and Joshua hormones would probably steady itself soon and he’d be able to rest and things would run smoother.


A few hours later he was being shaken awake.

“Jeonghan,” Joshua said. “Wake up. Let’s go get dinner.”

“Hmm. Ok. What do you want?” Time to feed his husband and his growing child.

“Burgers.” Joshua wrapped his arm around Jeonghan’s, leaning down to kiss him on the lips.

Jeonghan groaned and kissed back.

Pulling away, Joshua said, words that killed Jeonghan. “In-N-Out.”

“Baby,” he said, hesitating. “We’re in Korea.” God. He hated having to say this. “There is no In-N-Out here.”

Joshua’s eyes got a little misty, his lower lip started to tremble. The hormones made him more susceptible to tears, something he hated. “But,” he swallowed, “I miss it.” He looked ready to almost sob. “I miss LA.”

“Shua.” Jeonghan got up and pulled him close, dragging Joshua to kneel between his legs so he could hug him.

He let out a tiny hiccup.

Jeonghan’s heart broke. “We can take a vacation. Huh? How about that? Go to LA and just stay there until you give birth. We’ll be close and you can visit your family and they’ll love the idea of you being there to give birth so they can see the baby in the flesh. How about that?”

“Really?” He held onto Jeonghan’s shirt, looking a bit like the sad teenager that had pushed him away all those years ago.

“Yea,” he said, kissing Joshua on the lips. “You can have all the In-N-Out you want too.”

“I love you,” Joshua said, hugging him hard. He gave Jeonghan a deep kiss before pulling away. “I should go pack. And call the office. And dad.” He let out a happy laugh. “LA, here we come.” Getting up, he started moving towards their room.

Jeonghan watched, with a smile on his face, as Joshua walked away. He was so ing whipped.