beware the red tide

a doodle don't

they're on the highway when hyejeong stops midsentence and lets out a little whine.

'and that?' hoseok asks, glancing over to the passenger seat.

'i've literally just started my period,' she says, 'like i've just felt the blood start to exit my body.'

hoseok wrinkles his nose. 'charming,' he mutters.

'it's early,' hyejeong says, 'i am not prepared.'

'oh. oh .' hoseok's eyes widen. 'okay, i'll... we can pull over as soon as i find a place to pull off.'

hyejeong looks around and into the back seat. 'it's fine,' she says, 'i got this. minhyuk, we're swapping.'

'what,' hoseok says as she unbuckles her seat belt. 'hyejeong, what are you doing.' he tries not to let the car swerve off course as she clambers into the backseat.

'seriously, guys, what the are you doing, stop it,' hoseok tries as minhyuk maneouvres himself into hyejeong's vacated seat, using hoseok's shoulder as a balance.

'score, shotgun,' he says happily when he's settled, reaching for the seatbelt.

'pass my bag,' hyejeong says, leaning forward and minhyuk grabs it from the footwell, obediently handing it over, and then she's getting her legs up onto the backseat.

'hyejeong, why,' hoseok whines, and glances in the rearview mirror, his eyes promptly widening as he sees her undoing her pants. 'hyejeong, what the are you doing!'

she gives him a look in the rearview mirror, her thumbs hooked into the waistband of her pants, ready to lie down. 'eyes on the road, hoseok,' she tells him and his eyes snap to the road, his cheeks slightly pink, minhyuk laughing next to him.

'sorted,' hyejeong says happily a minute or two later, shifting into a sitting position again. 'this is why i always keep pads in my bag.'

'i said i would pull off,' hoseok says, 'and then you could've used, i don't know, an actual bathroom.'

'okay, one,' hyejeong says, 'we're already late. and two, who knows how long it would've taken to find one and i could've bled all over your car in the meantime.'

'how did it take so long for you to figure out what she was doing,' minhyuk says, voice full of mirth.

'the fact that what just happened is something people might do never crossed my mind,' hoseok defends and hyejeong sigh, leaning forward to rest an elbow on the inside of both seats.

'oh, you sweet, sweet, cis man,' she says, patting his shoulder gently.