001

Days of Woe
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

A trembling voice echoes through the hallways, “Mum, mum, mum!” The shaking urgency doesn’t wade until the door cracks open, seeping light with her mum’s presence. Her mother doesn’t ask what’s wrong, for she already knows the little girl is plagued by the same re-occurring nightmares of the past. Dahyun rushes by her daughter’s side with open arms, lifting her from her lonesome bed, offering her child the sincerest of embraces. The sort of hug that only a mother can offer, the sort of hug that brings tender solace. The little girl surrenders into her mother’s chest, with fists clinging tight to the fabric that holds her. The warmth pacifies her quivering heart. Her mother doesn’t utter words; instead she softly rocks side to side with her child wrapped in her arms. For Dahyun knows that words cannot heal the way the relief of love does. As the soft thumping of her child’s heart beat pulses against hers, Dahyun finds herself staring into the night sky beyond the window. She notices the small complexities in the field of black; she sees its minor dips and its greater shades of blue. But what catches her eye is the bright shine of the moon. It wasn’t quite full, but its beauty was not to be dismissed. “Mama loved the stars too didn’t she?” A sleepy voice squeaks, as she reaches to touch her mother’s cheek.  Dahyun’s mouth twitches into a sad smile, as she confirms, “Indeed she did sweetheart, that’s why you’re our star, our Byul.”

 

Byul stares into the eyes of her mother, trying to read her aged expression, but stops herself. She shakes her little head, and seemingly the question she had in mind disappears. “I’m sorry for talking about mama, I know that it makes you sad,” she apologises instead. Children were not given enough credit for how perceptive they were.  For Dahyun’s hurt smile only glossed her face for mere seconds. “It doesn’t make me sad love, it makes me happy when you talk about her. I just miss her.” It was ironic that Byul was afraid of speaking of her mama, afraid of reminding Dahyun of her distant love. Byul looked just like her, it was impossible to see her and not see Sana. She was the splitting image of her mama, the same gentle brown eyes. The same high nose, she was a near replicate except for the dimple that dipped when her lips curled. She had inherited the best of her mama’s looks, but her personality mirrored Dahyun’s. There was no denying that this child was born from the love of Dahyun and Sana.

 

 Once assured that her mother was okay, Byul in her smallest voice requests, “Tell me the story again mum.” Dahyun’s brows slightly furrow bemused at how her daughter was yet to tire of the same old story, of how her parents met. “You’ve already heard it many a times sweetheart. How about a different one?” She suggests in its place, though knowing full well that Byul would reject her proposal. Her daughter was stubborn, partly because of Sana who had spoilt her with love. “No, it’s my favourite story. No one tells it like you do, not even mama.” Byul persists, though her eyes struggle to fight off sleep. Dahyun chuckles to herself, grateful that her child had developed her same sleeping habits. “I promise to tell you the story tomorrow, as many times as you’d like to hear.” Byul tries to futilely resist, but nods as she realises it’s a battle she can’t win. Dahyun gently tucks her in beneath her pink blankets, lays a kiss to her forehead and recites their special message. “Never forget, you are loved, you are smart, you are beautiful and you are brave.” Byul’s eyes at last flutter shut in good faith of her mother’s love.

 

On nights like this, Dahyun couldn’t bare to retreat to her empty room. She instead sat quietly watching over her child, praying to God to spare her daughter from further heartache. Byul was too young to burden such pain

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter