Deep Cover

Bucket o' Fics

Wendy lets out an irritated sigh. She could already tell where the conversation was headed. Not. This. Again.

"Captain, are you still really a member of the force?"

And there we go! The question the little squirt always asks! "Yes." Short. To the point. No hesitation at all in her voice. "Of course I'm still a member!"

"Well," the voice on the other side of the phone scoffs, "it's hard to tell nowadays. After all, this is the third drug raid you've FOILED for us."

Was that a hint of anger? Well I can be angry too. "I really don't think you understand what it means to be in DEEP COVER."

"Really? That same excuse? I get it." She sighs. "Tell your bosses once. Fine. Tell your bosses three times? How can I not question your loyalty captain?"

"IT'S NOT AN EXCUSE WHEN IT'S MY JOB!" Wendy takes a deep breath. "Look, I get it. You're young. You want to catch the gang in the act. But there's bigger fish to catch. If you can't even see the bigger picture don't bother calling me." Wendy moves to hang up the call but her finger freezes over the red icon when she hears a sob. She brings the phone back to her ear, "Are you seriously crying right now?"

The other caller stifles her sobs. "Day in and day out for the past two years you've been in the gang and I get worried okay? Scared. Really. That's what it really is. Fear." What if you get shot up? And don't come back? Is it worth it then? This...bigger picture. "I miss you. I look up to you captain. If I lose you, I'd..."

Wendy wipes a tear. "I- Don't worry, okay, squirt. I'll come ba-" The muffled sound of a door opening cuts Wendy short. "I have to go. Sorry. We'll talk later." She quickly hangs up and rushes to stuff the phone into the hidden drawer of the desk. The glint of a shiny badge inside catches her eye for a brief moment before she slams the drawer shut. She sighs and makes her way out of the bedroom.

"My precious lieutenant Seungwan~" The woman coos upon meeting Wendy in the hall. She stretches her arms out for a hug. "I missed you!"

Wendy embraces the silly woman before her. "Boss, we weren't even apart for that long today."

"I know." The boss snuggles into Wendy's neck. "Doesn't mean I can't miss you?" She sneaks a kiss onto her neck amidst the snuggles.

Wendy pulls back. "Hey!" She gives a stern look. "As if you didn't show enough affection earlier today during the meeting with the other lieutenants."

Her boss returns the stern look. Hah! Right back at you. But her lieutenant remains unfazed. She rolls her eyes now. "You're new to the organization and you rose up fast through the ranks. I'm not going to let them disrespect you like that."

"That's fine but you didn't have to do it by pulling me in for a hug and holding my hand!" Wendy lets out an exasperated sigh. "It's inappropriate and unprofessional."

Her boss shrugs. "Well, it's a lot more efficient when they know you're my woman." She smirks before rushing her lover for a bear hug. "Now they definitely won't disrespect you again. Ever."

The finality in her boss’s last word sends a chill through Wendy. She sighs. "I don't even," Wendy says as she reluctantly returns the hug.

"Uhh I think you're looking for a different set of three words." Her boss tightens the hug. She hums. "Maybe like...'I love you'?"

Wendy rolls her eyes. "Then don't you mean four words? Or five?" Wendy scoffs as she lets go of her boss. "I love you too..." A shy smile, a hushed voice, "Seulgi."

A kiss on the lips is the only response Seulgi gives.

 

 

 

 

 

 

"Captain, are you still really a member of the force?"

"Of course I'm still a member!"

"I look up to you captain."

“I’ll be ba-”

The conversation rings hollow as Wendy lets herself be led back to the bedroom.