Chapter 10

Our First and Last

You were walking out of your fourth session with Dr. Kim, feeling the same as always, but one thing had really sparked your interest this time around.

 

This had been one of the most eventful sessions you’ve ever had, and it had nothing to do with the session itself. For one, Dr. Park had randomly burst into the room and you found out Dr. Kim likes to call him “Jiminie”. Two, it was the first time you ever saw Dr. Park, the guy who supposedly runs the clinic with Dr. Kim, and three, he happened to mention a new patient that sounded awfully like the famous researcher Hoseok showed you the other day.

 

You quietly close the door to Dr. Kim’s office as you leave, feeling the curiosity and hoard of thoughts and questions making their way into your head.

 

MD-PhD neurosurgeon named Dr. Jeon…. Could it be?

 

Overwhelmed by the thought of it and unable to contain the growing need to share this new information with someone, you quickly pull your phone out of your pocket and message the one person you thought of.

 

You: hobi, you won’t BELIEVE what just happened at the clinic

 

J-Hobi: some guy ran out and puked all over the floor????

 

You: what? NO! how is that the first thing you think of?

 

J-Hobi: LOL jk jk

so what happened?

 

You: so that famous neuroscientist/surgeon guy might be the new patient at the clinic i go to. heard one of the psychologists mention a dr. jeon today

 

J-Hobi: dr. jeon jungkook? no way. there are plenty of doctors named jeon, it could just be a coincidence.

 

You: sure there could be lots of jeons, but how many md-phd neurosurgeons named dr. jeon! think about it man.

 

J-Hobi: …..i mean, yeah that’s a good point…..

but he can’t possibly be struggling with depression, can he?

 

You: idk who knows….

 

 

 

 

“Good Morning Dr. Jeon” Jimin cheerfully greets Jungkook for the first time, despite seeing the obvious look of annoyance plastered over the neurosurgeon’s face. It wasn’t exactly what the psychologist had looked forward to upon opening the door, but he knew Jungkook had agreed to enter the clinic against his own will.

 

He had at least hoped an MD-PhD neurosurgeon would be more professional when it came to psychological therapy, but apparently even that was too much to ask.

 

“Do you have any specific goals for your treatment?” Jimin asks, after going through the list of basic questions in which Jungkook had half-heartedly replied with either one-worded answers to or just straight up bs-ed.

 

"Cut the crap. You know I’m only doing this for Yoongi” Jungkook finally says, after having enough of what he deemed as a “complete waste of his time”. He looks at the pink haired psychologist, eyeing his motions and scoffing every time he would pick up his pen to jot down notes.

 

“Right” Jimin sighs and nods his head, thinking this is going to be exponentially harder than he had anticipated.

 

There’s a knock on the door, and Jimin almost lets out a sigh of relief, knowing that, at least for a brief moment, Jungkook’s judgmental glare would stop shooting arrows at his soul.

 

“Come in” Jimin says, as he looks at the door, praying that it was Taehyung on the other side.

 

He feels another rush of relief as he sees the golden skinned psychologist peak his head in.

 

“Oh, is this not a good time?” Taehyung says when he sees Jungkook sitting across from Jimin, legs crossed and hands inside his pockets.

 

“Ummm” Jimin wants to say no, this is perfect timing, but obviously that wasn’t an option because of the clinic’s policy.

 

“It’s fine. I’m done here anyways.” Jungkook says, standing up, grabbing his trench coat, and walking out of the room. After he closes the door to Jimin’s office, Taehyung turns back to Jimin, with a questioning look spread across his face.

 

“Was that…?”

 

Jimin nods and covers his face with his hands.

 

...

 

“Applications are due soon!” Hoseok shouts as he runs into the library toward the table you were sitting at, with all your textbooks and notes spread out in a messy array as if a tornado had just swept through the area.

 

“Shhh, Hobi, people are studying” You whisper sharply, while looking around to see if people are disturbed by the noise, luckily everyone is too busy cramming. Hoseok gives you an apologetic look and sits down in the chair next to you.

 

“Have you applied yet?” Hoseok asks.

 

You nod. “Yeah, I turned my application in yesterday” You answer, thinking about how long it took for you to write a descent cover letter and brush up your resume.

 

“Have you?” You turn to Hoseok, whose lips have formed a wide smile.

 

“Nope” He says.

 

“What?! You didn’t apply?” Now it’s his turn to remind you to be quieter in the library. “But you’re the one who was so into his research, and now you’re not applying?”

 

“Yeah, so I thought about it for the past couple of weeks and realized I’m more drawn to the thought of caring for patients, so I’m just going to apply for medical school instead.” Hoseok explains.

 

“Well, I’m mean, you could do the whole MD-PhD program.”

 

“Are you kidding? Medical school is hard enough as it is, do you want me to die?!”

 

You laugh at his over the top response.

 

“Just be glad I’m dropping out of the game so your chances have gone up” Hoseok says grinning slyly.

 

“But were you really much of a competition to begin with?” You joke, earning you a playful punch in the arm by Hoseok.

 

“Well, anyways, I’m going to leave you to your studying. Keep that GPA up now,” He reminds you as he walks out of the library.

 

You had been reading for a little over three hours before the words on the page of your textbook start to fade out of focus, like your brain was refusing to absorb any more information. You look out the large glass windows of the library for a few minutes and see that it was a nice sunny afternoon. Some students had even opted to study outside, which looks really appealing right about now. You didn’t want to carry all your stuff outside, so you decide to just take a brief walk around campus and come back to study some more later.

 

You walk across the courtyard of the library and continue along the path that extends to the duck pond where students liked to go to feed their expired bread to the different species of birds around there. It was late afternoon, and despite the dense arbors of the trees that lined the path, the warm hues of the sunlight shone through the gaps in the leaves, casting mosaic shadows on the sidewalk. The sky was clear, so blue it looked like a painting and there was a gentle breeze that was barely strong enough to lift strands of your hair.

 

When you reach the duck pond, you notice that there aren’t as many students as there normally are, most likely due to the infamous finals week that signaled pending doom for most students who liked to procrastinate and cram a semester’s worth of knowledge into one week or even one night. There was, however, a girl, sitting on a bend at the edge of the pond, reading a book, and some older couples feeding the ducks.

 

You walk around the pond, watching the geese wobble around the grass and two swans, swimming elegantly on the surface of the dark water; one was porcelain white and the other was a deep cool-toned black. You were just about to turn your head to look at another part of the pond, when you stumble on an uneven part of the sidewalk. Losing your footing, you almost fall flat on your face, but someone catches you just in time.

 

“Careful there, are you ok?” You hear a familiar deep voice ask, as the man catches you before you hit the ground.

 

“Oh Sorry” You apologize while looking up and seeing the familiar handsome face of Dr. Kim Taehyung, your primary psychologist, staring down at you in surprise.

 

“Y/N?”

 

“Dr. Kim? Wha-What are you doing here?”

 

Your astonished expression must’ve seemed way too over the top, because Dr. Kim just laughs. This was the first time you had bumped into him outside the clinic, which also entailed the first time seeing him in normal clothes and without glasses. He was wearing a pale salmon colored button up that was tucked into his black slacks, and his cologne with vanilla hints was extra noticeable in contrast to the faint musky smell of the great outdoors.

 

“I’m waiting for Jimin” He says, before realizing he’s just casually addressed Dr. Park by his first name. He feels slightly awkward, but decides since it’s not working hours that there’s no need to be so formal.

 

“I see.”

 

“This is your university right?” Taehyung asks.

 

“Yeah, I’m taking a study break.”

 

He nods.

 

“So do you guys meet up here often?” You ask, wondering why they chose to come here of all places.

 

Taehyung chuckles and looks down at his feet for a moment. “We come here on this day every year.” He says. “It was where we first met, back when we were students here.”

 

“Oh, this is your alma mater?” You ask, surprised to find out this new piece of information.

 

He nods again.

 

“Taehyung!”

 

You hear someone call Dr. Kim’s name from behind him, and soon you see the pale pink hair of the petite psychologist pop up from behind as he jumps on Taehyung’s back, unaware that you were standing in front of him.

 

“Oh, Y/N, I didn’t see you there” Jimin says when he spots you. He quickly hops off of Taehyung, and puts his hands in his pockets, composing himself again.

 

“Hi, uh, Dr. Park” You say, nervously waving at him.

 

“Ehhh, feel free to call me Jimin. We’re not in the clinic, and we don’t have a patient-doctor relationship anyways.” Jimin says, giving you a smile.

 

You notice Taehyung give Jimin a wide-eyed look, perhaps warning him that they still have to be somewhat professional, but Jimin shrugs it off.

 

“So Y/N, has Taehyung told you about this place yet?”

 

“Yeah, he was sort of explaining that”

 

“I told her about us meeting here and attending university” Taehyung cuts in, probably before Jimin could blurt out too much.

 

“I mean, it wasn’t our first, first meeting-“

 

“Jimin!” Taehyung cuts him off.

 

Jimin looks at Taehyung giving him a nervous, apologetic smile. He always wore his heart on his sleeve, and was never good at keeping secrets or being confidential for that matter.

 

“Anyways, we’re going to see a movie later, if you want to come” Jimin says, trying to change the topic after noticing Taehyung’s change in expression.

 

“Uh thanks, but I have to get back to studying. You guys have a nice day!” You say hurriedly, as you wave and begin walking back to the library. You didn’t want to barge in on anymore of their privacy or take up more of their time.

 

After you had distanced yourself from the pair, you turn back to see if Jimin and Taehyung are still there. You faintly see their figures in the distance, walking side-by-side and holding hands. Although you can’t physically see it from where you are, you can perfectly imagine the boxy smile on Taehyung’s face and Jimin’s eyes that were probably forming half moons by now as they enjoy their little date of sorts.

 

They always seemed like a couple with an interesting story, and you were glad they decided to share a small piece of it with you today.

 

 

 

 

.......