Strict

Beautiful Strangers

 

The airplane starts to go aboard. I sat back and remember the last conversation with my parents. 

 

We're at 22nd Prime in Discovery Suites, a five-star hotel in Ortigas and we're going to have a lunch with my parents business partner.

It is such a wonderful noon-time while eating my favorite well-done stake until Dad spoke.

 

​​​​​"Mara, iha." Dad paused "Me and your Mom and so your Tita and Tito decided that you and Kevin should marry each other after next year's graduation."

 

I suddenly lost my appetite after hearing himI ran away and rushed to the bathroom, Mom followed and said, "Iha, you know that what we are doing is just for your future. All for you, Mara."

 

"But Mom.." I was about to tell everything that I am thinking and how I feel but it would be useless. She won't listen anyway. So I just cried all I want and returned to our table quietly. They're all talking again, business matter. Business is the only thing that matters to them anyway. 

 

Kevin tried to talk to me but I just ignore him. I mean, Kevin is a nice guy but I just don't like him.

 

So when I got home I started to pack my things, and booked a ticket online, I was plannig to go to Japan but there's no more available seat on the plane for tonight's flight, and my only last choice South Korea and the flight will be this 6PM so I hurriedly click the button and reserved the flight. Good thing I have savings.

 

I got  jetlagged. It's just an hour in the plane from the Philippines to South Korea but it seems like it took me forever sitting there and can't help thinking about me, running away from my country, from my family.

 

I guess I got the most strict parents of all around the world. Where my daily routine is house and school and vice versa. I'm 20 years old now, 2 more semesters and I'll be graduating from college but I can't tolerate my parents anymore. They're too much, they didn't allowed me to have friends even just one. And so books became my escape. But I just can't take it anymore.

 

"Hello new life!" I spread my arms and smile widely. I just hope that they won't find me here. I want to visit the good places here in Seoul but decided to just go directly to Jeju Island.

 

Here I am again, sitting on the plane. But smiling before closing my eyes.

 

 

Hello freedom, my soulful wish.