Final

Artificial Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I inhaled sharply, standing in front of the automatic doors of CVS. Close enough to see inside but far enough away that they weren't constantly opening and closing so annoyingly. One of the late night worker's was dawdling in the candy aisle, near the front, taking his time restocking caramel candies. 

I finally exhaled when I started to feel light-headed. It was now or never. I had to go in now. I took 3 steps forward and changed my mind when the doors slid open, hissing obnoxiously against the tracks in the cement floor. I reclaimed those 3 steps and went back to my spot.

"Oh, god," I moaned. "This is so embarrassing." I jumped and nearly screamed when some guy went skulking by me, scaring the doors back open, and went inside. Holding my racing heart, I watched the hunched over, hooded figure saunter inside and towards the drug aisle. I whined silently to myself, wondering why I hadn't thought of a disguise also. That guy was smart. At least I had thought to go 2 towns over to another drugstore instead of the one in my hometown, that way I wasn't likely to see anyone I knew and word wouldn't spread of the tragic crime I had comitted.

A mother and child walked by me and into the store finally pushing me to enter and hopefully make it look as if I was with them and not some obviously suspicious teenager here for a certain, emabarassing drug. NOW OR NEVER.

Gulping down any excess saliva that lingered in my mouth, I inched over to the worker still on the candy aisle. I must've not made enough noise because when he turned back from the shelf and saw me standing there, timid and sleeve paws with my head bent low, he gasped.

"Can I help you?" he asked cautiously.

"I..." I cleared my throat, glancing around the vicinity for any prying ears. "I need a drug." Boy, I sounded like some street rat looking for some of the illegal stuff.

"Ah," the guy said, standing up straighter. "What do you need?"

"Uhh... A...A..." Struggling to hear my answer, the guy leaned forward, turning an ear towards me. "A-Am...or."

"Amor?" he repeatedly. I fidgetted, ready to fly back out the door. He laughed and I pinked. "Amor Drug? For the curse of love?"

I drew in on myself. Could he get any louder? I didn't need the whole universe knowing I had botched up a love potion. The guy I liked already literally saw me as an ogre thanks to it, I didn't need everyone being in on the joke. It wasn't like I was the first one on this planet to up their high school love game! For crying out loud.

"Yes," I gritted out. I had a half a mind to slip some of the ruined potion into his water bottle sitting nearby on the trolly and hope his love saw him as the ugliest creature on earth too. .

"Try aisle eight, kiddo," the guy said politely then returne

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter