Chapter Two

I Need You

"I just don't see what the big deal is," Minhyuk pouts, staring into Jooheon's eyes pleadingly. "Don't you think a vacation would be fun, Jooheonney?" Jooheon squirms under the gaze, finding it very hard to say no to his boyfriend when he looks at him like that.

"No fair!" Hoseok complains, throwing a tomato at Minhyuk. "You can't ask him, because he'll take your side no matter what! We don't have the time to go on a trip, and that's that."

"That's not even considering the money it'll take," Hyunwoo mumbles. Hoseok waves over at the older triumphantly.

"Exactly!" 

Minhyuk sighs in defeat as yet another attempt to get these saps to go on a trip with him during the upcoming holiday fails. 

"One day," he vows. "I'll get you guys to go somewhere with me one day. Mark my words." Hoseok hums in acknowledgment, downing the last drops of his coffee as he stands. 

"Sure, Minhyukkie," he says. He then sighs, going to put his dishes in the sink. "I'm going to work. I'll see you all later tonight."

“But today’s Saturday,” Jooheon murmurs. “I thought you and I were going to play that new game I got last week.”

“Sorry, Jooheon-ah,” Hoseok sighs, “someone flaked at the last minute, and I was asked to cover for them.”

“Hyung!” Jooheon cries, turning to Hyunwoo. “Do you wanna play?” Hyunwoo shifts in his seat, glancing down at the table.

“I can’t,” he replies softly. “I’ve got an interview today for a permanent company position.”

“You do?!” Minhyuk demands. “Why didn’t you say anything? When is it?”

“I should actually be leaving for it now,” Hyunwoo says, standing from the table as well.

“Good luck!” Jooheon and Minhyuk cheerily tell him, flashing him their trademark smiles. Hyunwoo chuckles at seeing this, nodding his thanks.

“I hope you get it, Hyunwoo-ya,” Hoseok says, clapping the older on the shoulder supportively.

"Don't forget to run by the store on your way home!" Minhyuk reminds Hoseok, earning a hum of acknowledgment. They quickly put on their shoes and slip out the door, parting ways once they reach the outside. 


“This is exactly why I told you both to have your things packed before today,” Kihyun nags, shaking his head at the younger men as they scramble around to throw their belongings into boxes. “Now we aren’t going to be ready to go by the time the movers get here.”

“Sure we will, hyung,” Changkyun tells him. A flicker of a smile dances across his lips, and Kihyun can’t help but chuckle at how cute the younger is.

“Maybe if someone helped,” Hyungwon murmurs, staring pointedly at Kihyun.

“My stuff is already done,” Kihyun fires back, his aggravation spiking. “I even managed to finish up the kitchen before you even got up.” Hyungwon rolls his eyes, shoving his thick-rimmed glass up his nose in silent protest. He sighs, shaking his head at his two dongsaengs. “If you aren’t ready to go by the time they get here, we aren't having chicken for dinner tonight.”

“We'll be ready!” Changkyun protests. “We'll be ready, I promise! Don't cancel on chicken night, hyung. I've been wanting chicken for so long.” 

“Then pack!” Kihyun commands. And, with that, he leaves the youngers to it. 

Honestly, he thinks, if those two ever bothered listening to me they’d—

Kihyun leans against the nearest stack of boxes, clutching onto his thigh. He grits his teeth to keep from shouting out in pain. He focuses on his breathing, hoping for it to subside before either of the others comes in and sees him. He doesn't want to worry them with this, after all. He moves towards the couch, groaning slightly in pain, and sits. 

The burning has gotten worse, Kihyun notes dully. He sighs as he remembers his pain killers are in a bag in his bedroom, berating himself for not thinking to keep some in his pocket for flare-ups like these. 

“Hyung, I—” Kihyun glances up to see Changkyun enter the living room, and the worried expression to overtake his face. He rushes over to sit beside Kihyun on the couch, staring concernedly into the older’s eyes. “Are you okay, hyung? You look really pale, and you're sweating a little. Do you have a fever?” 

“No, Kyunnie,” Kihyun replies, trying to think of how best to answer. “I'm alright, really. Just a bit overworked from the move, is all.”

“Do you need anything?” Changkyun offers in a sweet voice. Kihyun chuckles, affectionately ruffling the younger’s hair. 

“I have a bag in my bedroom,” Kihyun tells him. “Could you bring it to me?” Changkyun nods, a determined pout set on his face, and he leaves the room only to return a second late with the bag. Kihyun smiles gratefully at him as he begins to go through it. He finds his pills and pops two into his mouth.

“If it gets serious,” Changkyun says, his tone much more serious than usual, “then please tell me and Hyungwon-hyung. I don't want your pride to let some sort of sickness get worse.” Kihyun laughs again, finding his bluntness absolutely adorable, and tells him that he will. Changkyun nods, humming in acknowledgment as he gets up to finish packing. 


Hoseok gets home after only needing to work half the day, grocery bags hanging from his arms. He kicks open the door and makes his way to the kitchen. He begins unpacking the groceries, putting away the countless ramyeons and other necessities. He chuckles as he gets to the bag of marshmallows, looking for somewhere to hide them. Jooheon hadn't asked for them, but he knows the younger loves the sugary treats and wants to surprise him. He hears the front door open, and he quickly shoves them behind his ramyeon tower as he turns to see who it is.

“Hyung!” Minhyuk says surprisedly upon seeing who's in the kitchen. “I thought you had work, what happened?”

“The guy was only meant to work half a day,” Hoseok answers, relaxing. He turns to continue his work. Minhyuk hums, joining him at the cabinet to help. 

“I was just visiting with the landlady,” Minhyuk says. “She says we're getting some new neighbors today.” Hoseok hums, not really all that concerned with the gossip of the building. “She also mentioned that they'll be having a housewarming party to get to know their neighbors. Everyone in the building is invited.”

“That's nice of them,” Hoseok comments, a bit distracted. He frowns at the drink in his hands, sure he had gotten more than two packs of beer. He sighs, shrugging, as he sets it down. He had gotten sidetracked in the store trying to find the nearest bottle of pain suppressants, because of another flare-up. He ended up buying two bottles of the pills after having gotten weird looks from the nearby employee. 

“We should go,” Minhyuk stares plainly. Hoseok gives a noncommittal ‘hmm’. Minhyuk, able to tell that Hoseok isn't really listening to him, takes advantage of the situation and brightens up, propelling himself towards the older in a bone-crushing hug. “Thanks, hyung! I knew you'd agree!” He then escapes the room before a baffled Hoseok can say anything to the contrary. 

Hoseok frowns confusedly at the way the younger had run, rerunning the conversation in his mind. He groans in frustration as he realizes what it is he's agreed to. He has half a mind to go after Minhyuk and tell him he can't go to the party after all, but, he remembers how excited Minhyuk was about it and just can't bring himself to. 

He has been all-work-and-no-play Hoseok lately… Maybe he should go to this party, just to have somewhere to go other than home, work, and the store. After all, it'll be a good way to get on good terms with the new neighbors early on.