Chapter 1

Underneath the Surface
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 1

Wu Yifan, the emperor of the Zhou dynasty was a man of virtue and morals. Unapproachable and stubborn. Highly skilled even at age 18, he was fit to rule. The Bastard King, the Red Dragon, the conqueror of China, this is where his story begins.

“Your majesty, the chosen concubines have arrived.” The servant said bowing down. The emperor, whose name only his younger brother dared to call, sighed in annoyance. He hated concubines and hated trying to find an Empress. He didn’t need one. And the problem of producing an heir? He could leave that to Yixing, his brother could rule the nation for all he cared. But, with a grunt to the servant, he stood up straight and walked out of the library. His robes flapping in the wind.

    On his way to the courtroom, the emperor met his brother who was also heading towards the courtroom. “Yifan-ge aren’t you excited? I have a feeling about today. I can’t wait to see who will be there! I wonder if it will be anyone we know, maybe some minister’s daughter.”

    This was what the prince was like, hyper, joyful, and always bubbly. The emperor suppressed another sigh that tried to escape, Yixing’s happiness was the only light in his otherwise dark world.

    “Yixing, you say that every time, and you know I do not intend to choose anyone.”

    “But today is special, I can feel it, today will be the day.”

    “The sky will fall before I ….”

    They had arrived at the entrance of the courtroom where all the concubines awaited, and the emperor couldn’t believe his eyes. Yixing hid a small smile behind his hand. Standing in line with all the concubines was Luhan, the youngest daughter of the Emperor’s right hand man, the prime minister of the imperial court. But Luhan wasn’t only the daughter of a close mentor, she was Yixing’s best friend and a childhood friend of the Emperor as well. So what was she doing here? The emperor gave a questioning look to Yixing who shrugged. He was about to speak up when the Mother of the Nation walked in and everyone was on their knees.

    “Greetings to you, Mother.” The emperor and Yixing said in unison, bowing their heads.

    She smiled and looked at the sky. “Do you not think that today is a good day to pick a wife? Everyone here is so beautiful.”

    “Yes Mother, I am grateful for your care. These women are exceptional.”

    “Then, my son, today if you do not choose a consort, I will.”

    The emperor’s head shot up, his gaze holding all the loathing he had for the women that posed as his mother. The Mother of the Nation was not his real mother, his father, the mighty emperor of all of China, had had an affair with a lowly commoner and soon threw the women he said he loved, away. But unfortunately, not before the Yifan was born. His father had only taken him to see his mother once before she died. His “Mother” had tried to kill him many times in hopes that her real son, Yixing would take the throne, but after numerous failures, she gave up and tried other ways to ruin his life.

    “I do not understand what you are saying, Mother. Is it not your son who chooses his wife?” The emperor asked.

    “It is, but this son of mine has shown no progress in finding someone suitable for him, so I will be the one to choose.”

    The emperor straightened up and sat down on his throne, “Then so be it Mother.”

    One by one the concubines came up towards the emperor and gave their respects in hope that somehow he would notice them, but all the emperor wanted to do was run away. A cowardly thing to do for the Emperor. Yixing watched from beside him and gave the Emperor a concerned glance, he wasn’t sure what kind of affect his mother’s words had on his older brother. His only hope was that the emperor would choose Luhan.

    “Greetings your majesty, my name is Lu Han, daughter of the Prime Minister Lu. At your service.” Luhan said with a bow.

    She waited quietly for the emperor’s reaction, but after many moments of not even a blink of the eye, she was starting to get anxious. Luhan shared a glance with Yixing but his eyes gave off nothing so she was left again in despair. And it wasn’t because the emperor didn’t like Luhan, no, no one di

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter