The greatest Confession

The greatest confession

It’s Spring. You can feel it. The snow’s melting rapidly and you’ve seen the first few buds sprouting during your early morning jogs. Yup, it’s Spring. You love it, and it gives you that boost you need every morning when you open the curtains and let the sunlight flood into your little apartment. This is the good life.

Your little flower shop is located between a bbq restaurant and a small clothing store. It’s fairly busy and pays your bills. And the best thing about owning this florist is that you are surrounded by flowers, the bright colours, the scents. It has a certain magic to it that you can’t quite put your finger on but it’s like that strange medicine that has you jumping out of bed. Silly to think that a few flowers could have that effect on you, but there you have it, you are an original piece.

 

Hello cute, quiet stranger....

 

It’s on a day like any other when you open up your shop, arranging the flower displays on the window and making sure the surfaces are clean. You take immense pride in your work and the cleanliness of the store. You’re assistant runs in out of breath, gasping out apologies for being late and you give her a mock stern stare and a warning of, “Next time you’re late I’ll fire you, got it?”  She knows your joking. You’re the type of boss anyone would want to work with, if you say so yourself. You put in the final touches before going to the till.

The bell tinkles, indicating the arrival of a customer. You bow politely as you greet them, “How can I help you today?” It’s a woman in her late 40s you assume as she looks at the various different bouquets.

“I need flowers for my niece who’s just had a baby. Can you make a very pretty arrangement for me?” She asks and you nod. You begin the procedure, asking all the necessary questions and getting the right flowers for the occasion. Silks of all different colours and shades hang behind you and the basket you’ve arranged the flowers in is quickly decorated with a lovely shade of pink. You ask the customer if she would like to put in a little greetings card and she nods. The whole process has taken less than ten minutes and you bow again as the customer leaves.

By late afternoon you’re beginning to feel drowsy. There had been a rush period with phone, online and walk in customers asking for flowers and you felt rushed off your feet. Now you were resting at the back. Your assistant is there with you as well as you both sit drinking coffee and talking. In fact you aren’t really talking, but your assistant, Jang-Mi has been chattering non-stop. Oh help...

“Did you see that ahjusshi with the leather jacket?” She asks and all you do is roll your eyes.

“Yah! How many times have I told you to not talk about the customers?” You scold her and she pouts. Yes, she has the ability to pout at her boss and you find it extremely funny when she’s trying to be cute. She’s about to answer back when you hear the door chime and immediately straighten your uniform and pat that stubborn lock of dark brown hair back into place before walking to the stranger standing near the door.

It’s a guy, definitely a guy. Broad shoulders, tall and probably works out in the gym, by the looks of it. The lower half of his face is covered by a mask and he’s wearing a hat but his fringe is showing and it’s black. You wonder for a minute if he’s an idol, judging by the way he’s dressed, but quickly put your thoughts to one side as you greet him.

“How can I help you today?” You ask and he takes his time to answer, looking around the shop.

“I’d like to get a flower please.” He stutters out and you immediately notice how soft his voice is. It’s almost velvety in its smoothness and you imagine him calling you by your name. He’s watching you and you give yourself a mental shake.

‘Stop drooling and get to work’ You think to yourself and shift your focus back on the task at hand.

“What flowers would you like to get, sir?” You question and again you have to wait for him to answer.

“A rose, please, a white rose” He answers and you step over to the wall covered in baskets of roses. As you reach out for a rose he stops you.

“Please give me the un-opened one”

You take out a closed rose and turn to him. You were sure he had said one rose but you wanted to make sure, “Just the one, sir?” You ask and he nods. Odd request but you go along with it. You wrap it carefully and hand it over, taking the payment and watch as he walks out.

What a strange customer.....A cute but strange customer

 

A rose a day

 

It’s been two weeks since your first encounter with the handsome, mysterious stranger. He comes in almost every single day and requests for one rose to be given to him. So far he’s taken only white roses, a total of ten. You wonder if he’s into some sort of cult or if he’s planning some big proposal for his girlfriend. You jealously wonder if he has a girlfriend and think what a lucky girl she is. You imagine her as a petite girl with big doe-like eyes, long, curly chocolate brown hair, perfect features and proportions. You imagine her being dressed in very sophisticated and slightly y clothes, her model-like figure being hugged in all the right places and accentuating her beauty. You even give her a name but you keep changing it. Sometimes she’s Korean, sometimes she’s foreign, and sometimes she’s mixed. You really have no life, do you?

He’s here again and this time, to your surprise he asks for a red rose instead. You go through the same motions and as you hand him his change you can’t help but ask the question that’s been nagging you since day one, “Are you planning an event for your girlfriend?” Oh curse you and your nosiness. You can’t see his lips, they’re still covered by the mask, but his eyes sparkle and the green monster is beginning to rear his ugly head. Did you have to ask him that?

“There’s someone I want to propose to, but I have to get it just right.” He replies and you can detect a hint of laughter in it.

“She must be very special” You mutter and immediately want to sink to the ground. What the hell is wrong with you???

He nods, “Yes, she is”

You look down.

“What’s your name?”

Your head snaps up, surprise on your face, “My name is_______.” You answer and he nods once more.

“_______-ssi, it’s a pleasure to meet you.” He says and his eyes are doing that half-moon thing again. He gives you his hand and you stare at it for a moment before realising that he probably wants you to shake it. It’s just a quick press and shake and you watch as he walks away. You’re fanning yourself, cheeks red and Jang-Mi is stifling her laugh behind both hands. She’s never known you to be this flustered and boldly says so. You give her the most withering stare you can manage and it guarantees her quick departure to the back. You sigh, ‘sometimes fantasy can be better than reality’ you think. And your fantasies about this guy had to end somewhere. So why not here?

 

Blew it, blew it, blew it.... or not?

 

Two months. No wait, two months and four days since you last saw the cute guy. The last time had been near the end of April. He had taken a total of ten white roses and a dozen red ones. And then he disappeared. He probably got his happily ever after you think grumpily as you get ready for the day. You’re in an awful mood today and Jang-Mi’s treading softly around you.

“_____-ssi, Miss. Kim wants to change her wedding bouquet from red to pink roses.”

You mutter an okay and she begins her work. It’s a slow day and the sun is so strong even the AC isn’t able to do much. You feel hot and sweaty and you’re wishing you’d just kept the store closed today, yet you still managed to drag your sore loser out of bed. You were actually beginning to feel your age, which wasn’t much, only twenty eight, but it was enough to make you feel, well, old. You were also beginning to question if there was something wrong with you. You hadn’t been on a date since god knows when and heck you couldn’t even remember the last time you’d done....well.... the deed. A kiss, get your mind out of thr gutter, erts!

“I must have some sort of an opposite effect on guys.” You mutter to yourself, taking a sip of your coffee and burning your tongue, ouch!

The door chimes, but you stay sat down, let Jang-Mi handle it. But she’s poking her head through the doorway.

“Parcel for you.” She states, “You need to sign for it.” You grumble, getting up to sign. The delivery guy looks a little worse for the wear and you immediately feel thankful you’re indoors today.

“Miss _______?” He asks and you nod in affirmation, “Please sign here.” You sign quickly and he rushes out. Ok, well that was friendly.....

You turn to the box on the floor. It looks like a regular box, except its big and you wonder for a moment if you should have asked him for help. After all, your apartment was above the bloody shop and it would have only taken a moment or two to get it up the stairs. Never mind. You go over to examine it, cautiously poking it. It feels solid enough.

“Just open it” Is the snappy retort coming from Jang-Mi.

“Not here, it’ll make a mess.” You throw back and bend down to pick it up. Bad idea, “What the hell?” You mutter to yourself, “What’s in this, rocks?” Jang-Mi comes over to help.

“Whoa, it’s heavy” She comments and you fight the urge to roll your eyes AND punch her.

“Yes, well thanks for that obvious statement genius.” Boy you were snapping back some witty sarcasm today. You.Are.On.A.Sarcastic.Roll.Today.... Jang-Mi huffs at you.

It takes almost fifteen, very painstaking, minutes to get it to the back, out of the customer’s way and you’re both out of breath. And it’s only at this opportune moment the door decides to swing open. You’re a mess and you’d much rather not show that to the customers.

“See to the customer please” you instruct Jang-Mi and she’s out in a flash. You can hear her voice as she greets the customer. She can sound very cute and professional when she wants to.

You focus your attention back on the box again, completely confused by it. You hadn’t ordered anything. ‘Nothing for it’ you think, rolling back your sleeves. You begin to open the box, a feat made harder by the ridiculously sticky tape that was used to secure it. Whoever sent this must have glued it on. By the time the lid is open, your fingers are raw and you’re cursing the mystery sender. You peer into it and freeze midway between curses.

There is a glass box with roses in it. Red and white and all are crystallised. You’re completely gobsmacked and can only stare open mouthed for a moment before you hear your assistant’s voice pull you back.

“You know you might swallow a fly if you keep your mouth open for that long.”

One of these days...

Jang-Mi walks over to the box and takes a peek and you watch her jaws hit the floor too.

“Close your mouth please, or a fly will get in” She automatically closes it. Good girl...

“Wow.... Seriously....wow.” Is that all she can come up with?

“Yeah” Is all you say in response.

“Is this a new part of our business or something?” She asks looking up, she’s looking impressed.

“Nope”

“Then what is this for?”

“Jang-Mi, I don’t know” You’re about ready to pitch her. All these questions, seriously. Jang-Mi puts her hand in and retrieves a small envelope. It’s a cream coloured and simple with only your name on it, nothing else. She hands it to you and you silently take it. Opening it cautiously, you don’t really know what to expect, you take the small card out. The writing on it is neat:

________-ssi,

I wanted to make this proposal to you for a long time, but never having the courage I thought I’d rather have the flowers speak on my behalf. Every time I came in I would want to talk to you but apart from the hellos and goodbyes I couldn’t say anything more. You have a way of making me feel tongue-tied. I would like to meet you tonight, only if you feel ok with it. And if its alright with you I’d like to have someone pick you up.

I promise you I’m not a crazy person, although I probably seem like one, and I definitely feel it as I’m writing this. I hope you can consider giving this crazy person a chance.

Thank you and I hope to see you soon.

From,

The crazy flower guy,

 

 Crazy.... flower guy? What? If weren’t confused before you certainly are now. You flip over the card, but there’s nothing written on it. You look back up at Jang-Mi who’s been waiting for you to say something... getting increasingly impatient.

“Well?” She prompts wearing the most ridiculous expectant expression she can muster. You have no plans to divulge the entire content of the card and quickly stuff it into your apron pocket.

“Just a customer thanking me for the bouquet and other flower arrangements for his daughter’s wedding.” Is all the explanation you give her but you can tell she’s not convinced but to heck with it! Now you put your mind to work, trying to find a good way to take the thing upstairs without breaking it, or it breaking you. It’s too heavy for one person to carry themselves, and you wonder how the heck the delivery guy managed to get it from the van to the store. But then again he only had to take maybe five or six shaky steps.

‘Leave it for now.... I’ll take it up later’ you think as the door opens again to more customers.

 

Surprise, surprise...

 

It’s evening now and you’re standing in front of your mirror, cringing at your reflection. Your hands are sp shaky as you try to apply the eyeliner that it goes everywhere and you have to wipe the whole thing off for the umpteenth time.

“AAAAGH!” Is about all you can come up with.

It takes a while but you’ve finally succeeded in finishing your make up. It was nothing too glamorous; just some BB cream, concealer, a smudge of lipstick and the tiniest hint of blush. You had focused on your eyes the most, carefully applying the right colours to match your dress. You didn’t go for all that fake lash nonsense, your lashes were okay by your standards and you just applied a bit of mascara at the end. You turn your face from one side to the other, checking yourself out and hey......

“Not bad” You mutter to yourself.

You don’t have to wait long before your ride is here. It’s not the stretch limo you were thinking of, just a nice black car, shiny and non descript. The driver gets out and opens the door for you, hopping back in as soon as you’ve settled. He starts the engine and you’re off. You squirm a little at the backseat, wondering what to say to break the ice and wondering if you made the right choice of clothes.... too late.

“Erm, excuse me could you tell me where we are going?” You ask slowly and the driver looks at your reflection on the rear-view mirror.

“I have been given specific instructions to not say where we are going. Please don’t worry it’s not too far. We will be there soon.” He’s a little talkative, but it still doesn’t answer your question and for the rest of that short journey you ponder over the whole thing. You’re just hoping its not some weird killer psychopath, Jekyll-Hyde sort of character waiting for you. And if it is...... Uh-oh.......

You must have nodded off. The driver calls out to you and you jerk awake, snorting a little as you come to. He has the door open for you by the time you’ve collected yourself and you’re blushing furiously at the unladylike snorting. No one’s perfect. The driver escorts you and you realise that you’re at the beach. Oh great, sands going to get into your shoes. But thankfully the path the driver is taking you down is not sandy. It’s a brick path and on either side there are small lanterns. You’re definitely stumped and a little choked up by the gesture. Heck if you’re going to die you’d rather die in the hands of a handsome psycho with a fondness for romance.

You reach the small table and chair arrangement, set under a gazebo decorated with flowers and fairy lights. It’s like you’re in a romantic film, or a Disney cartoon. Whichever’s more magical. He seats you before making a hasty departure and you’re left alone.... in the middle of the beach.... with no one around..... waiting for a secret admirer or, as he calls himself “The crazy flower guy”. Who votes this is a bad idea?

You sit in silence for some time before you see someone walking down the path, they’re walking slowly and for a split moment you consider running for your life, but you decide to stupidly stay put. Isn’t that what happens in all horror and slasher flicks? As the person gets closer you start to make out several things. It’s definitely a he, and he is wearing a white shirt and black trousers and seems to be carrying a bouquet in one hand. You notice the face and pinch yourself. Although he’s not that close his face is clear as day.

Jung Taekwoon..... Oh hell YEAH!

He’s close now and you can see his face in all its handsome glory, you are probably drooling at this point but you don’t care. How could one person be so handsome? He looks a little uncomfortable and he’s not looking at you. Aww bless, he’s nervous. He stops a few centimetres from you and you stand. Without a word he hands you the flowers. There are white roses, pink roses of different shades and right at the centre, encircled by all the other flowers, is a red rose, in full bloom. You take it wordlessly, suddenly unable to look at him and completely tongue-tied.

He seems to be a bit flustered; he’s showing his crown and muttering something under his breath. You hear a faint ‘Hwaiting’ coming from him and resist the urge to giggle. That’s right you still had those girly, giggly moments and this was one of them. He’s still preoccupied with talking to himself and you decide to be the first one to speak up.

“Thank you for the roses and the other ones as well.” He head snaps up and you can see the look of pure relief on his face. This time you can’t stop that damned giggle from escaping and you bite your lip to stop the rest from following because once you start you can’t stop.

“I’m glad you like them.” He replies and his eyes are like stars, sparkling and so beautiful. You want to melt.

“So, you’re the one who took a rose a day...” You comment, unable to think of anything else to say and he laughs lightly, a small hint of pink dusting his cheeks, and you know its not from the wind. He’s blushing too.

“Well, a rose a day keeps the doctor away you know.”

 “I thought that was apples...”

Taekwoon chuckles, “I think roses have a better effect, don’t you?” And you smile back.

“Let’s sit down and talk.” He suggests and helps you to your seat, such a gentleman. He sits down and waves to some unseen person and within minutes a waiter is at your side, filling your glass with water.

“Would you like dinner now, sir?” Taekwoon looks at you and you nod. You’re starving. Taekwoon nods at the waiter and he whisks away to return a few minutes later with a tray of food. You wonder, for a moment, where all this has come from before your dish is uncovered and instantly you forget to think about it any further. Another waiter has joined and he serves you wine.

“It’s Rosé” He comments and you take a little sip.

“It’s delicious” You cut a small piece of steak and put it to your mouth, aware that Taekwoon is looking at you.

“How is it?” He asks, “If you don’t like it I can have them prepare something else.”

You shake your head, “No it’s good, really...” He smiles, satisfied and digs in. Nothing more than small pleasantries are exchanged until both plates are empty and the waiters are at their side again. They place small plates of dessert and fruit before making their ghostly disappearance and you are left alone with Taekwoon.

He is looking at you again and as you catch his gaze he flushes, “Sorry”

You finally decide to pop the question, no you weren’t going to ask him to marry you, and seriously you just met, practically.

“Taekwoon-ssi, why am I here today?” You ask and you can tell he’s struggling for the right words to say.

“I first saw you a few months ago, it was during Christmas and you were in the crowd of STARLIGHTS, you weren’t doing anything special but my eyes kept going to you every few moments.” You nod, remembering the fan meet.

“And then I saw you in January, you were opening your store and it was raining. You were soaking wet and a car went over a puddle and splashed you.... I also saw the hand gesture you made” You don’t know whether to hit your head on the table or hide under it, “It was quite cute and I guess I just wanted to get to know you but I couldn’t just walk up to you randomly and strike up a conversation. You’d think I was a nut job.”

You smirk a little at that last bit; you’d already thoughts of many things worse than ‘nut job’ earlier that day.

“Then I thought of a way to get to know you a little bit. That’s why I asked you your name that time. I’m not good with words unless its lyrics. And I hear flowers are a better way to convey the message. So I decided to get them from you. Dumb, right?”

You shake your head. And he is relieved.

“I decided I would come in as many days as possible and the rose a day was just an excuse to see you. On the days I didn’t get to see you I honestly felt like crap.”

“So is this some kind of confession?” You ask and he nods slowly.

“Yeah, I guess but instead of saying it like this, let me confess in another way.” He stands up as he speaks, clearing his throat.

 

 

You probably hated me all day

You still don’t know me, stupid

Your birthday comes only once a year
How could I forget?

I’m sorry I couldn’t express my heart for all this time
I guess I was too shy to say I love you
Will you close your eyes?

Congratulations, happy birthday to my love
I won’t change,
I’ll make your heart race every day
I promise you

Thank you so much, thank you for my love
For being born today, for coming to me
Meeting you was a great fortune in my life
Now blow out the candles, my love

The only thing I can do is
To love you even more

There might be times when I hurt you
But please know this one thing
Just like always, just like now

I love you, you’re my everything to me
Even after ten years, it’ll be like only one day has passed
I won’t change, I’ll make your heart race every day
I promise you, my love

It still feels like a dream
An angel is looking at me and smiling
Like this

Even if I yell I love you endlessly
It’s not enough

Lonely and hard days
Won’t be scary if we’re together
I’ll give you things
That always overflow

Thank you so much, Thank you for my love
For being born, for being by my side
I am born again because I met you
Now will you put this ring on? My love

He finishes singing and walks over to you. You’re in tears by this point and keep sniffling. He is in front of you and suddenly he’s on one knee and you feel the butterflies in your stomach. He takes out a box and opens it. There is a ring inside but it’s not an engagement ring. You recognise this ring as being one of his favourites and look up at him.

“I’m sorry I couldn’t think of something nicer to give you, but I thought you might like this ring. You were admiring it that day.” He says as he takes it out and that’s when you notice the think chain. He puts it around your neck and you relish the closeness. His lips to your ears he whispers, “Happy Birthday my love” and then, so gently, he presses his lips to yours in the softest kiss and this time you let yourself melt...

into.....

his..............

kiss...................

..................                             

 

 

 

............TRRRRRRRIIIIIIIIIIINGGG!!!!!!!!

You jerk awake, you’re at home and the alarm bell is pounding its way into your brain. Turning the damn thing off you turn over in bed. Well, the dream was nice while it lasted........