Chapter one

You & I

 

Soojung walked through her school's hall, carrying a bunch of books she got from Mr. Lee in the library. Trying to support all of the books in her arms, a couple of tall and magnificent boys walked pass her. She sighs. "What's the use of good looks if you're not going to help me carry these books?" she thought to herself. "Hey Soojung!" Jinri called. Soojung smiled and exhaled a heavy breath as she saw Jinri running to her. "Whose books are these?" she asked. "Mr. Lee called me to the library to carry them. Why can't he just called the boys for help? I'm fragile, innocent and ...fragile," Soojung complained in whispers to her classmate. "Hey, stop that. You're the class monitor." Jinri simply said between giggles as she took some of the books from Soojung's aching arms.

 

  By lunch break, Krystal immediately pull out her phone to check if there were any notifications - there was one, from someone she expected, her sister. 

'I hope you had lunch, Soojung-ah!' in a few seconds, Soojung smiled as she slightly lifted her glasses upwards with her middle finger. 

'I'm not having lunch today, sister. Sorry. I'm saving up,' she answered and hit the middle button on her phone. She sighed. She wished she could tell Sooyeon, how hard it was not having her at home. Her sister was working in the city, saving up money for Soojung to go to college and be someone, something. A hope, for them to live a comfortable life, at least for Soojung to have a comfortable life. A sudden message appeared as Soojung started to frown;

'Have a lot of food during dinner, then. You need food as energy. I'll send more money.'

 

 It was 10:00 p.m, Soojung was staring at the clock. She looked down after a while and mildly rubbed the tip of her nose with her index finger. Her eyes were searching for something in the room when there was nothing. She remembered living alone like this for the first time - she could not stop crying for the first week. It has been 10 months now, she got used to it.

"You have to study hard so you can be whoever you want in the future, Soojung-ah. I'll support you!"

 She remembered how encouraging her big sister was and how determined she was to make her sister's life more easier, more comfortable. A future for the both of them to stay and live. 

.

.

.

"I wish things could be a tad easier." she whispered.

 


 

 Taemin swept his lilac hair to the back. He was sweating and it was night time. He wished the night would have mercy on him - it was so hot that he could sleep and would still sweat like a pig. His hand was wondering on his back when he heard a few knocks on the door. The door slightly opened and a smiling Kibum appeared. Taemin was not sure if that was annoying Kibum, happy Kibum or bored Kibum because there are a lot of Kibum(s) in one Kibum. "What are you doing?" he asked, walking closer towards Taemin. "Obviously, sweating my arm pits off," Taemin answered. Kibum hit him softly with a fan as a slight frown appeared on his face. "Can you say it more politely, please." Kibum complained. All Taemin could answer to that was a sly smile.

 "Open the window, let the air in," Kibum said as he examined his fingernails. Taemin did what he was told without hesitation - he didn't know why he didn't do that earlier, honestly. When he felt the wind surging through, he felt a sense of release. The night did have mercy on him, after all. Suddenly, a heavy sigh was heard. No questions were going to be ask if Kibum wasn't going to start talking first, Taemin thought. He feels like he would be prying on Kibum's business if he asked 'what is wrong?' 'why are you sighing?' or to be rude, 'why are you even in here?'. 

 "Taemin, have you ever been in love?"

 Hearing that question made his head moved forward and his lips moved upside down. Why was his roommate being cringy? Has he finally gone nuts? Did someone stole Kibum's fabrics from his workshop? "What?" Taemin asked to make sure that he was hearing right. 

 Kibum sighed loudly, again. "Don't make me ask that again, I know you heard it the first time." he said, tad annoyed. By this time, Taemin's eyes were looking at something that was not Kibum. He softly scratched his sweating neck. "I'm not sure. Love is such a strong word, I don't know," he answered, word by word. A pause ensued. "I guess not then," Kibum whispered softly, enough for Taemin to hear. 

 "Did you just, you know, did that happen to you?" Taemin asked, out of curiousity. 

 "It's happening right now and I am basically drowning."