"Is this a date?"

Driving me crazy

A/N: okay my took way too long to write this and I don't want to proof read it so if you see some shifty stuff, please correct me! If not, please proceed to enjoy this oneshot!!

---


“You again?” Junhui questioned as he waited for the driver in the car before him to lower his window. The other seemed to be quite nervous as he continued to look anywhere other than Junhui’s face.

“This is the second time this week,” Junhui continued, hands outstretched for the driver’s license. “I can't let you off with a warning like last time, unfortunately.”

Junhui watched the younger male rapidly search his maroon coloured bag, and after a while, emptying its contents. Which was an odd sight for officer Junhui who was used to excuse making and alternative suggestions. As the other handed Junhui’s his license, Junhui questioned why the other had been speeding. 

“Finals week,” the other replied simply but with a strong familiar accent that got Junhui curious about the fellow ‘Chinese’ male. Hence why Junhui decided to continue the conversation as he slowly filled out a form and ticket.

“Xu Minghao? You should try to get to class earlier so you don't have to speed,” Junhui stated rather dumbly in his own opinion. However, Junhui didn't know how to react when the younger stared back at him at him with a slight gasp. “What's wrong?”

“Oh,” the other started, eyes darted away from Junhui once again. “It's just, you're the first to pronounce my name so clearly.”

Junhui tried his best to hold back a soft smile, it was such a pure statement that got him speechless. Thus, Junhui handed back Minghao his licence along with the ticket without much to exchange verbally. But before he left, Junhui whispered in Chinese loud enough for Minghao to hear, “good luck.” 

“Thank you,” Minghao smiled back quickly despite a small look of surprise that was previously on his face.

***

Junhui sighed, his day wasn't a day he would want to write in his diary if he had one. It started off great. If great was considered being blamed for a nonsense fight between two elderly women about a beanie. A beanie. The day then followed with small tragedies that led to his current miserable mood.

The Chinese man rested his head on his arms that relaxed on the steering wheel. After he released, yet another, sigh, Junhui looks up to see a familiar car that sped right past him. He tried his best to hold back curses as he started the engine to pull over the car.

“Minghao?” Junhui gasped rather dramatically but it didn't matter for someone who had pulled over the same guy thrice this week. Minghao looked up at Junhui, face frowned in a way that Junhui was unable to read but could summarise as awkward. 

“Yes,” the younger responded in Chinese as he felt a tense atmosphere. This caused Junhui to just stare at the younger and maybe it's because of how his day had went so far that he felt a little angry about everything. 

“You've been speeding way too much,” Junhui started, his hands reached for his writing pad before he stopped. “I'm going to have to suspend your license.”

Junhui watched the younger’s face change slightly, it was like watching his younger brother frowning over extra classes. It was endearing, in a way. Nonetheless, Junhui still ended up suspending Minghao’s license for a month. 

***

It's been a solid two whole days since Junhui saw Minghao, which was obviously expected due to the other’s suspended license. But, all that Junhui really thought of when patrolling was Minghao speeding by. It wasn't because he felt something towards the younger, it was because the younger left such a vivid impression within such a short time span. Right?

Junhui then checked the time to see that he had a few hours until his shift but he decided to head to work early. Thanks to Minghao, Junhui had a bit of paperwork to fill and to update the system.

As if the heavens above enjoyed Junhui’s little snippets of tragic events, heavy downpour began raining down as soon as he step foot outside his apartment. Thankfully, Junhui was able to drive to work but the problem was getting to his car without an umbrella.

He did managed to get into his car, but clearly, he didn't make it dry. Junhui tried his best to dry off his hair with a clean towel he was going to use for gym before he headed off to work.

Surprisingly, there were many others driving around despite the heavy rain. Junhui wondered whether someone is speeding in this rain or not, and of course, Minghao came to his mind. It was as if Junhui classified Minghao as the embodiment of speeding without knowing. But seriously, there were actually a lot of people which caused Junhui to be stuck in traffic. He praised himself for deciding to leave early.

As he waited for the lights to switch to green, he looked out to see students running with books above their heads and mothers with groceries under their embarrassing, patterned umbrellas. Even students without anything to cover themselves tried their best to run towards the nearest shelter. No, wait. 

Junhui eyed a slender figure dressed in all black with a maroon bag who just kept on running, even past all the buildings that could had provided shelter from the rain. Though the other had the hoodie over his head, Junhui could recognize the bag. 

The light turned green and Junhui makes a turn towards the figure who was bent over, likely to be catching his breath. Junhui then pulled over and lowered his window to confirm his thoughts.

“What are you doing in this weather?” He called out, scaring the soaked male into taking a step back. Junhui wasn't sure but he felt that the younger’s eyes lit up when it fell on him. It gave him a tingling feeling. That feeling was soon replaced with curiosity, concern, and confusion as Minghao sprints towards Junhui’s car and ducked his head inside.

“I need to ask for a favour.”

 

“I thought exam week for you was over,” Junhui stated as he waited for the lights to change to green. He turned to his right and watched Minghao pulling out tragically soaked notes with a face evident with distress. 

“This is my last one,” the other replied and from the corner of his eyes, Junhui could see that Minghao was trying to blow his notes dry. 

Long story short, Minghao had an exam on but his license was suspended and the buses were late due to rain. Thus, the reason why Minghao sat in Junhui’s passenger’s seat, completely soaked from head to toe. Junhui made a quick check on his gas before he decided to turn on the heater.

“Here,” Junhui said as he handed the other the towel and began to make a turn into the road with less traffic.

“It's wet,” Minghao muttered and Junhui could imagine the younger’s face scrunch up but he still held onto the towel anyways. “Thanks, uh?”

“Oh, name’s Junhui,” the elder responded to the younger who nodded and thanked him again. A few minutes passed and Junhui could still hear Minghao’s distressed whines so he tried to help the younger relax by asking more questions. 

“When's the exam?” He asked before it came to his realisation that the question could have stressed the younger furthermore. 

“Soon,” he responded. He then continued in Chinese with a whispered, “I could've gotten there, no problem, if my licenses wasn't suspended.”

Junhui wasn't even sure why he was able to hear all of the whispering Minghao did. But he did and it caused him to inhale in disbelief.

“What do you mean? Speeding?” Junhui questioned rather aggressively in Chinese. Minghao’s face as seen through a quick glance showed how he most likely forgot about Junhui speaking Chinese. The elder then added joking, “would you rather be walking right now?”

“No, sorry,” Minghao quickly replied. Junhui could feel that the younger had became less tense based on his reaction speed to respond. Also, maybe it's because the younger seemed to be comfortable enough to attempt to dry his notes with the car’s heater. 

“What exam is it?” Junhui asked. 

“Guess,” Minghao replied with a chuckle. 

“Then, give me some options at least,” Junhui laughed at the younger’s change of attitude towards him. He wasn't complaining, it was a nice amount of comfortability despite Junhui being a policeman that suspended the other’s license.

“Biology, physic, and chemistry.” 

“Oh, wow. All the sciences? How stressing,” Junhui responded and he could hear a soft scoff from the younger. “Chemistry?”

“Try again,” Minghao laughed.

“Chemistry?” Junhui repeated jokingly, he just felt like teasing the younger while the mood was up and comfortable. He could see the younger frown at him with a hint of disgust and confusion but before Junhui could apologise, Minghao responded.

“Gold star,” he stated in those kindergarten teacher voices. It made Junhui smile despite it holding so much sarcasm. It was a gesture that showed Junhui how the younger was able to follow through with his humour. “It's biology.”

“Oh!” Junhui beamed after the younger’s statement. “I did bio back in university, too.”

His response clearly made the younger seem more excited. Minghao quickly questioned whether the elder remember the respiration stages and basically begged Junhui to quiz him. Junhui honestly didn't remember much but since Minghao knew all the questions he asked, he didn't really hesitate to throw out difficult questions. 

The ride through the heavy rain and tragic was something Junhui didn't think was possible to find enjoyable and comfortable. Minghao being present made such an impact that when Junhui makes a turn into the university’s car park, he felt a tiny bit of disappointment. 

As Junhui was about to wave and wish good luck to the younger, the other shoves a piece of paper into his opened waving palm. 

“Thanks for the ride, I want to repay you,” Minghao explained in Chinese before he rushed out of Junhui’s car and into the crowd who are trying to enter the building. 

Junhui opens the piece of paper to reveal a messily written set of numbers, which Junhui assumed to be Minghao’s contact information. The problem is that, Junhui was unsure of the individual numbers to even make out whether it was a valid phone number or not. He decided to save what he was able to interpret and send a quick message to confirm. 

“Good luck, Minghao!” He sent along with a set of facial emojis before he shoved his phone into his pocket and headed back towards work. 

 

He worked on his paper work a lot slower than usual but it was understandable for his distracted state. He didn't actually believe that he drove a student who he didn't know personal to their class. But, it was something he was content with. Junhui glanced at the clock on his phone to see that Minghao was replying to his messages. 

“Thanks! I feel pretty confident in this exam!” Replied the younger and Junhui felt a little disappointed at the lack of expression in the message. 

“That's great!” Junhui responded and before he could congratulate the younger, Minghao sent him an update on the weather unexpectedly.

“It's still raining heavily outside…” the message read along with a sad face emoji.

“What? Do you want me to pick you up?” Junhui replied jokingly to tease the younger.

“Can you? I can treat you to dinner?” Well that joke clearly backfired and now Junhui’s got to either let Minghao walk home or pick him up. He sighed, not in a way to express annoyance but, it was something else. 

“Sure.” Junhui replied.

Meanwhile, Minghao stared at Junhui’s message with relief as he glanced out the window of the university’s library to see that the rain was still going strong. With a cheeky smile, Minghao typed a message asking, “is this a date?” before he sent it with a high expectation for Junhui’s response.