Three minutes

Space Channel

A/N : This is to set the story mostly. I had to introduce everyone but this will be a Mimo centric most of the time.

 

This whole project started years ago. They selected ten babies, five girls and five boys to be sent on space and live totally disconnected from the earth. The goal was to understand how the human being can manage to survive without human contact, in a small closed place in the middle of nothing. Without feeling the sun, without grass, animals, nothing. Would they adapt? Would they survive? This had interested journalists all around the world and since day one it became a whole TV show.

Every Saturday night, at 9pm, images and videos about what’s happening on space inside the “TWICE” space station are being diffused on TV and watched by the world.

Momo, Nayeon, Mina, Chaeyoung, Jeongyeon, Jaebum, Onew, Jimin, Kyungsoo and Luhan. These were the new world idols.

Unfortunately, they couldn’t be sent so young and alone in space. They wouldn’t have survived a day.

That’s why, since their first days on earth, scientists and specialists made them believe that the human race was disappearing. That humans couldn’t be close to each other for more than a few minutes or else they would get sick and die. Lies. They grew up with lies and a million eyes watching them, in awe or in disgust. Nevertheless, it did captivated people and it worked. This type of show became the most watched of all times and was even diffused on Netflix.

They’ve been tested. They exercised for years, we made them believe that it was to be sent on space, to survive. Scientists made them think that they were special, that they would change the world, that they had to survive, they were selected between tons of babies.

Their manipulation succeeded but not for everyone. Luhan, at the age of eight, had developed an incredible intellect and he started to doubt this whole story about humans not being able to stand next to each other for more than a few minutes.

He was outed from the show at the age of ten, causing an enormous shock among the viewers.

We don’t know what happened to him after this event.

The kids were sent to space at the age of eleven. It was a very emotional moment in the history of television. They were sent inside different capsules, not being able to see each other. They were sure to be sent alone on space, inside a big station kept by robots that would feed them and take care of them. Momo cried, Onew cried, Chaeyoung cried, they all cried. Except Mina.

They all remembered how it felt when they took off, convinced that the end of the Earth was coming. Chaeyoung remembered how painful it was to see the view of the Earth, the water, the land, going farther and farther. How her heart beat fast, how sad she felt not to be able to have a family. It all seemed like a lost memory and that a miserable life was waiting for her. But she had to be strong, she could become the hero if she helped the humanity.

That’s what each one of them thought. They had to be the heroes of humanity and find a solution for the planet. They were the ones.

The first year inside the station was the hardest. They were clueless and alone. They had a room, a bathroom and nothing else. They thought robots were giving them food via little doors but they weren’t aware that it was actually humans, taking care of them. Scientists. Specialists.

They had a camera, they knew they could be filmed but they thought they had the power to choose when.

Jeongyeon, to fight loneliness, used to joke a lot on camera. She was one of the favorites of the show. Earth loved her. Chaeyoung was seen like a baby, talking about everything, what her dreams were, how she would like Earth to be and her hopes about finding a solution. The only one keeping shut was Mina.

Slowly, they received fake missions from the Earth. They received weird telegraphs, enigmas to resolve. They were sure that fate was between their hands. They had material to complete some missions, many explanations and they started to become really smart with physics and biology. But that was until Nayeon became a problem.

Depression.

She was the first, at the age of twelve, to live an extreme crisis. The Earth was moved about her hard words on TV. She started to cry every day, to express her feelings, how bad she wanted to stop it all. How lonely she felt.

“We can’t let her end her life, it would be terrible for the show !”

“We need to do something !”

That’s how the production found a new lie. They made Nayeon believe that she did so much for the Earth that they were sure she would find an answer to earth problems. She received a lot of love and went through it. It took a lot of time, she lost a lot of weight but she came through it.

 

 

 

Years passed by. They were all eighteen.

Nayeon wasn’t part of the show anymore. She relapsed and was sent back to Earth.

“3, 2, 1 ! Live !”

Onew received a new mission. He was filmed on live, inside his room. He had to answer to basic questions about humans. Soon after, the seven others received the same tests. Questions about human’s behaviors.

They learned many things inside the books and during their years on Earth but they were mostly clueless. Mina ended the test within 15 minutes. Momo could barely understand the questions.

“Handshake ? Birthday party ?” It made the world laugh but it almost made her cry. Jeongyeon was finding it funny, Jaebum just answered what he wanted to, nothing more. It wasn’t a hard test, just to entertain people.

“What if I am not good enou-”

“Your attention please !” A robotic voice echoed through each secluded rooms. Momo paid attention to the voice. She frowned when she heard the words “real human contact” followed by “right now”. What she didn’t know is that on Earth, they made surveys about who should meet who for the first time inside the station. This survey became viral. People could decide about their destiny, see for the first time since years their idols interact between each other.

Kyungsoo / Jeongyeon were first with 67 % of votes. They seemed to have raised interest. A loud girl with a calm boy. This news made Kyungsoo really stressed, while earth was following every steps with eagle eyes he only knew that : he would meet someone.

He placed himself in front of a door. A door that was never opened before.

It opened and he started to walk nervously across the hallway. The walls were white, the voice went mute. He couldn't stop looking everywhere, scared to meet something terrible. He convinced himself not to walk back. He turned to his left and meet Jeongyeon.

They both felt like their heart would burst. They ran into each other’s arms. This was their first time meeting a human, their fear was left out. They touched each other's face but that’s when a huge clock appeared on the wall. They had only three minutes. They were too happy to have real contact to think about more urgent things. They shared a minimal discussion before being parted.

The robotic voice explained that because of them, the last people on earth created a serum that they just breathed minutes ago. This serum was transformed into a gas and their bodies suppressed for some minutes the poisonous air they breathe out. But this effect was only able to work a short time.

Of course, this was bullsh*t.

The next minutes, Kyungsoo and Jeongyeon opened their personal camera and started to explain what they just lived. Of course, they still thought those images would never be sent to Earth, for them it was a virtual diary destined to be watched once they finished their mission.

The next two persons to meet were Onew and Jaebum. It hadn’t a negative effect but the interaction was really cold. They did not run into each other, they didn't hug each other neither. They were confused but a smile spread through their lips. They parted.

This went on with Chaeyoung and Jimin. They were the first duo to have a real talk about what was going on. They seemed to act really natural between each other despite the lack of contact. They shared some words, all of this situation became confusing while on Earth it was something thrilling to watch.

“We are doing the same job, at the same time, every day ?”

“Yeah, but I thought I was alone !”

“Me too !”

“Time is over !” They stepped apart and promised each other to think about it. They were pretty sure this wasn’t the last time they would meet. At that very moment, they felt stronger, ready to fight together and this, no matter what was going to happen as long as they saved earth together.

The last duo had to meet. They weren’t the favorites. Not at all. They only won 1,5% of votes but the TV producer found it interesting that their match was terrible.

Mina and Momo.

When she first heard the news, Momo couldn’t process. She wasn’t alone ? The door opened and she couldn’t walk. The robotic voice had to force her a little. She made a step after another. Her heart was pounding. Was it a trick ? She couldn’t believe she would meet someone. She turned to her left, no one. The silence was deafening. She looked closer but nothing more than white walls. Suddenly the clock mechanism began to start. She could hear the clock ticking. Seconds felt like hours.
And she saw her.

Mina.

She stopped in front of Momo without expression.

“H-Hello ?” There were only two minutes left out and it made Momo nervous. Would their time be wasted like that ? Their eyes were locked. The clock was still ticking away the little interaction they could have had.

Momo’s hopes went down. She was too scared to ask for anything and that’s when Mina walked closer. Their bodies were almost pressed against each other and she felt Mina’s breath against her ear. She closed her eyes only to listen to a soft voice, without a hint of emotion.

“Two hundred, forty four, one point five, do not write it anywhere unless it’s on the computer, I repeat : Two hundred, forty four, one point five”

That’s how their three minutes went. Mina walked away while Momo tried to remember the code.

 

 

“Are you sure they won’t start a rebellion ?” Asked the co-director of the show. They were surrounded by many important figures inside a small dark room after the end of the live.

“Do you prefer to see them depressed and lose the audition ? We are making each week 67.9 M views, we had to do it to make people watch it.”