01 | the past

Alive | Kim Taehyung
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chloe POV

I've read the story about Persephone and Hades before, and I am very well acquainted with it. One might say that what happened to me was just a repetition of their story, but let me tell you, it was far from it.

First of all, Persephone never died, she was just taken by the God of the Underworld because, well, he was in love with her.

Secondly, Hades made her stay with him, he couldn't let her go, again, because he deeply loved her.

Lastly, a damn horse was raised from the ground.

None of these are even remotely similar to what happened to me.

The only thing close between our stories is that I saw the Underworld.

It may have just been a hallucination, however, it seemed too real to be one. But I've read that people with NDEs seem to have them a lot, hallucinations I mean.

"Chloe," a faint voice seeped into my senses, "Chloe, you still there? Hello, Earth to Chloe?"

"Oh, yeah, sorry," I gave him a smile and shook my head, "What was I talking about?"

He sighed, "You were about to answer my question," he asked again.

"What question," I looked to Jungkook, my cousin and then to his father, my uncle, for a reply.

"Did you see a light?" he recited, as if it was the millionth time he had said that in the past five minutes.

In the corner of my eye, I saw Uncle Jeon, roll his eyes and whack the back of Jungkook's head.

"Let's stop talking about it now, shall we?"

"Awww dad, why?" he whined, looking to me with hopeful eyes, "Chloe doesn't mind, right?"

"No," I forced a laugh, "NDEs like me get used to questions like this."

"NDE?"

"Near Death Experience, dad, get with it," Jungkook looked over his shoulder at his father.

"Oh," his dad slowly nodded, "I get it, N.D.E."

Jungkook rolled his eyes and turned back to me, "So, continue," he pleaded.

"People with experiences like mine may say that, but no one really knows why it happens," I said, trying to dodge the question, but he hit me right again with it.

"Does that mean you actually saw the light?" Jungkook was on the edge of his seat now, about to fall off.

"Well everyone has different theories..." my voice trailed off, and I made the horrible mistake of looking at Uncle Jeon, because his eyes were full of wonder as he listened to my story, and I didn't want to lie to him.

All of a sudden there was a roar of cheers from inside my house. Our heads shot up to look and all I saw were the backs of the adults that my mother had invited as they watched the sports game on TV. I looked back to Jungkook and his father, and honestly I would rather be out here with them than inside there with people I hardly even knew, which meant I would have to just start lying.

"Yeah," I nodded, internally sighing, "I saw a bright light."

Although it was faint, I heard a roar from the clouds above, concluding that it must have been thunder slowly approaching.

"Was it at the end of a tunnel?" he suddenly sounded like a bunny rabbit who finally got his carrot after hours of waiting, "Everyone says it's always at the end of a tunnel."

I slowly nodded, "Yeah, it was at the end of a tunnel."

"Too cool!" he gawked, as if I had just told him how the universe was formed, "You're actually cool for a change, cuz."

"Gee, thanks," I snorted and brought my lips to the glass in my hands, sipping the bitter drink.

The roaring of thunder intensified and this time Uncle Jeon and Jungkook seemed to have heard it as they stood up out of their chairs and waited for me to do the same, "Let's continue the conversation upstairs in my room," I said as we walked together back to the shelter of my house, "Away from them."

"Okay," Jungkook chuckled and linked my arms with his, causing me to look up at him in surprise before I smiled and melted in his touch. He was that one family member (apart from his father) that I honestly loved to be around. He made me feel at home even when we found ourselves in the middle of the forest with nothing but a bottle of water and the clothes on our body (long story), he just had that vibe to him and - not to mention - the experience. We walked inside and I unfortunately made eye contact with my mother over the head of one of the members of her office that were in the living room. Jungkook seemed to notice by the way she opened to say something to me, and he quickly rushed me up the stairs, making me giggle all the way.

"My mom's gonna kill me," I said when we reached my bedroom.

"No she won't," he shrugged, keeping the door open for his father to come in, "She's going to have to go through me first."

Now I know what you might be thinking. 
Why does Uncle Jeon keep following us, why can't he go and sit with the other adults downstairs?

Well, Jungkook's father isn't a very respected person here on the island, he was more shunned than anything, really.

He was arrested a few years back for murder, a crime he didn't commit, so he got released 5 years after. But the word got out that he was a criminal, and people tend to flock to the bad news as opposed to the good news, don't they? So all he was remembered for was that criminal title he was unrightfully given. Jungkook had come to accept it, however. Years of fighting his classmates, sueing the newspapers and writing millions of comments about it on online articles, came to an end when he saw the ha

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter