CHAPTER 1 - Opus: Expectations vs. Reality

Sempre espressivo: A Neoclassical School Oratorio
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

[CONTENTID1]CHAPTER 1[/CONTENTID1]

[CONTENTID2]Opus: Expectations vs. Reality[/CONTENTID2]

[CONTENTID3]

 

Neo Culture Technical University: A new culture indeed - A prestigious university of its own breed, honing the Nation's finest researchers, doctors, and science-insiders. With a goal to break the stereotypes of monotony and uniformity of science majors, Neo Culture Technical University houses a second speciality in paving the road for the nation's musicians, singers, and dancers alike for generations to come. Many students will opt for one over the another but only the elite, who's ambitions burn relentlessly and encompass the university's instilled values opt to major in both science and music fields.

 

Through a rigorous admission process - intending music majors must pass an audition in which the student must perform both a technical and melodic solo on a wind or string instrument, a self-choreographed dance, and a vocal piece of choice.

 

Science majors on the other hand must have previously achieved a score in the 20th percentile of the Korean Scholastic Aptitude Exam and a score of 88% or above in the physical science admission exam which encompassed Physics, Biology, Anatomy & Physiology, and Organic Chemistry.

 

The process is rough and even if you do get admitted, it doesn't get any easier.

 

First year student Kim Do Young can vouch for the double majors in saying that the first year of college is always stressful. The boy had big dreams - when questioned about his future, he would exclaim proudly that wanted to, quote-on-quote:

 

"...become a Neonatologist slash musician slash singer" and had decided to pursue his studies at Neo Culture Technical University.

 

After much walking, Do Young had plopped himself on like a ragdoll on a bench in the University's secluded botanical garden. Taking in a deep breathe,the boy inhaled the sweet aroma of what seemed to be mostly gardenias and baby's breathe.

 

He smiled and gave an exhausted sigh

 

"It's the first day and I can't believe we've already been assigned 5 pages of homework!" He cried - disbelief and pure misery evident in his voice.

 

It wasn't that Do Young couldn't do the work, it was moreso that he was taken aback by the sudden workload on the very first day.

 

"So unforgiving~" he whined throwing his body in protest.

 

"I hardly got to read the book, let alone the syllabus... and what's with these stuck up kids?"

 

This morning, Do Young had awoken excited for his first day of college. He made it a goal to make friends, arrange study groups, and join in on lots of extracurricular activities.

 

Truth be told, he experienced the opposite.

 

The boy paced the circular pathway of the garden listing today's oh so horrid wrongdoings of the world as if someone were actually listening to him vent his feelings.

 

"I can't believe I was scoffed at and belittled by that Johnny kid just because I said I was a Molecular and Cell Biology Major." He said shaking his head

 

"He's a microbiology major and the classes are cross referenced! What makes him any better?!" he continued

 

"..and what's with that Jessica girl that almost threw up on me when I said I was on a full ride scholarship? Elitist much?"

 

"Also-"

 

Do Young stopped in his tracks as his reminder alarm had begun to blare from within his pockets

 

He held his phone reading the notification

 

REMINDER: Med Club meeting in 30 minutes

 

It was a good thing the lecture hall that the meeting was being held at Building U which was right just a few yards away from the entrance if the botanical gardens.

 

Being the meticulous student he was, Do Young had recited his remaining schedule for the day so as to not miss anything planned. His science classes had begun at 8:30AM and he had managed to endure them up to the 12:00PM mark.

 

"Med Club meeting in 27 minutes, and Wind Orchestra rehearsal at 3:00PM" he reported as he collected his belongings and headed towards Building U, the tall blue building just across the gardens.

 

Do Young sighed one more

 

"If anything goes wrong I'm hoping for at least rehearsal to be great" he pleaded with his hand together looking earnestly to the sky

 

"I don't want thi

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter