Lavender Earl Grey Cake

Recipe please!
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N: important! I’ll be mainly using 2nd person point of view in this story. And ahaha honestly, it took so much resistance to not cut this chapter in half (I was so excited to upload a chapter!!)

 

Chapter 1 – Lavender Earl Grey Cake

BGM: Light Me Up (Red Velvet), Angel (NCT 127)

 

A little daydreaming never hurt.

 

 

14th March 2016, Monday

 

Your name is Im Bae Chul and you’re currently interning as a junior patisserie at Baker Talent.

 

Which you find to be very fortunate since you’ll be able to directly observe and learn from the head patisserie. Well, and that not everyone enrolled in the baking and culinary science course in Seoul International University has the opportunity to intern as a junior pastisserie. Especially for the junior year internship. 

 

Usually, interns should be working as assistants but since Baker Talent is quite a small bakery, it worked to your advantage. Between the front door and the kitchen, there’s only enough space for the cake counter and two sets of seats. Oh and some decorative plants.

 

Though despite the size of this bakery, it is hugely popular. Which is probably a given since it is right next to Seoul International University and everybody certainly need a sweet treat or two to recharge and conquer their assignments.

 

Since you’ve just started your internship a week ago, so far, all you’re doing is managing the counter, doing stock count and assisting the head patisserie, Miss Jooyeon, and the specialty patisserie, Miss Lizzy, whenever necessary. But you figured as such, as you need time to get used to the bakery’s operations.

 

So, yes. Right now, things are pretty mundane and boy, do you really wish for something to look forward to or brighten up your day.

 

 

26th March 2016, Saturday

 

“Thank you for your purchase! Hope you enjoy the cake and have a great evening!” You called out to the customer.

 

Looking at the clock, you sighed. It’s barely 4pm.

 

Surprisingly, the holidays and weekends are slow days for Baker Talent. Usually, only students living in the dorms or those having their club meetings and practices will come.

 

And today was both.

 

Cling, cling!

 

The doorbell chimed, signaling a customer. You immediately straightened your back, smiled, and said, “Welcome!”

 

“I’ve come to relieved you of your boredom! Are there any lavender earl grey cake today?” A raven-haired girl sang out as she walked into the bakery.

 

“Jae Mi! What are you doing here today?” You asked. “And no, I’m about to put it in the oven.”

 

“Then I’ll get a slice of that chocolate hazelnut praline cake!” Jae Mi replied, settling down on one of the seats.

 

“All right! Just give me a moment. I’ll bake the cake now, hopefully it’s done by the time you leave.” You rushed to the kitchen.

 

Soon, you are seated opposite Jae Mi with a slice of carrot cake before you. You hummed in happiness as you took a bite, enjoying the tangy taste of cream cheese.

 

“You’re alone today?” Jae Mi chuckled.

 

“Yeah. Both Jooyeon and Lizzy went to test taste some new café that opened in Apujeong,” you grumbled. “So, why are you here today?”

 

“Just ended my shift,” Jae Mi replied, the chocolate cream off the fork. “It was hell today. There were so many freshies in those design or materials courses who came down to pick up tools, screw and other stuff.”

 

Jae Mi is actually working part-time at Home Select, a hardware store just down the street. You guys get along pretty well. It all started with her showing up at Baker Talent one day, asking if they are hiring any part-time assistants. Well, obviously they weren’t, so she ended up being a regular customer, one who will actually sit down and spend time to chat. Sometimes she brings her friends over too, and all of you got along swimmingly.

 

The both of you started talking about new cooking recipes, the new drama Signal, and Jae Mi’s bridging classes.

 

About an hour later, Jae Mi leaped up from her seat, grabbing her bag and heading for the door. “It’s already 5pm! I have a bridging class later, gotta rush!”

 

“All the best! Isn’t that the last of the bridging classes?” You cheered her on as you picked up the used plates.

 

“Yup! Can you save me a slice of that lavender earl grey cake? I’ll pick it up around 8.30pm, after Japanese.”

 

You turned, shooting her a smile before slightly glancing out and up towards the sky. It looked bluish grey, completely unlike the usual reddish hue of the setting sun.

 

“All right! Hope you brought an umbrella though, it looks like it will rain.”

 

--

 

You were right.

 

Just 15 minutes after Jae Mi left, the skies started to pour. It has been an hour since, and the rain seems to have no intention of stopping.

 

“Thank you for your purchase! Hope you enjoy the cake and have a great evening!” You called out to the customer, wincing at the deafening sound of the rain as that customer exited.

 

Checking your phone’s stopwatch, you figured it is about time to bring the lavender earl grey cake out onto the counter.

 

Just when you’re about to head into the kitchen, the doorbell chimed.

 

Cling, cling!

 

“Welco- Oh, my! Come in quickly, you’re soaked!”

 

You hurriedly ushered the guy in, took his bags off and pushed him into a seat.

 

“Just make yourself comfortable. I’ll go and see if there are any fresh towels around.”

 

“Thank you, and ah, there’s no need. I’m sure I have some clean towels in my bag.” The guy muttered, “Sorry for the mess, I had to find shelter from the rain.”

 

“No worries, there aren’t any customers now anyways.” You smiled warmly, watching the guy take out a towel from his bag, and rubbing it against his hair.

 

Now that his hair is not sticking onto his face, you got a good look at it.

 

Fair skinned, doe eyes, strong nose and pouty lips… you recognized him to be Choi Seungcheol, the University’s volleyball team captain.

 

‘He really is good looking up close’, you thought to yourself. Though both of you are third years, this is the first time you have actually seen him in the face, since the University is so big, and you don’t watch any of the volleyball club’s matches.

 

“Sorry, may I borrow the washroom? I ought to change out of these clothes.” Your thoughts were cut short with Seungcheol’s question.

 

“Huh, uh, oh, yeah, sure! The washroom is at the back of the kitchen!” you stuttered, startled.

 

You sure hope he didn’t catch you staring.

 

“Thanks, thanks!” He said. Then he chuckled. “Don’t worry, you don’t have to be so embarrassed, I don’t mind the staring that much.”

 

“Huh, what?” You spluttered.

 

“Your face. It’s turning red.” He clarified, still chuckling as he headed into the kitchen.

 

You’re pretty sure your blush intensified after that.

 

--

 

After Seungcheol changed – into his volleyball uniform – he promptly ordered a slice of lavender earl grey cake.

 

“How did you know we have lavender earl grey cake? I hadn’t displayed it at the counter.” You questioned Seungcheol as you sat the plate down before him.

 

“Ah, I could smell the scent of lavender and earl grey coming from you, and the kitchen was pretty much filled with it. So I just made an assumption!” He replied as he folded his clothes.

 

“I see. How observant,” you muttered.

 

“Ooh it’s really soft!” Seungcheol commented as he cut out a bite with his fork. “And it tastes really good too!” He complimented, beaming in delight.

 

“Glad you liked it! It is one of our best sellers!” You said with a smile.

 

As Seungcheol continues eating the cake, you noticed that he was shivering slightly. You cannot adjust the air-conditioner since it is centralized, and the rain certainly is not making things warmer. Plus his volleyball uniform clearly is not meant for cold weather.

 

“Enjoy your cake, I’ll be back in bit!”

 

--

 

“Here you go! Hope it warms you up a little.” You said as you placed a mug of hot cocoa on the table.

 

“Oh! Thank you so much!” Seungcheol smiled gratefully, cupping the mug, letting the warmness seep into his palms.

 

“Hey, what’s your na-“

 

“Oh! The rain seems to have let up. But just in case, I found a spare foldable umbrella. You can borrow it, and just drop it off here another day.” You exclaimed, handing him a grey umbrella that has black stars sprinkled all over.

 

“Oh, uh, thanks!” Seungcheol said as he took the umbrella.

 

“Were you about to say something?” You asked him just as he stood up.

 

Seungcheol paused for a moment before replying, “Oh, no. It’s nothing,” with a small smile.

 

“Thanks for everything, by the way,” Seungcheol said as he stood in front of the door, “See you around!”

 

“See you around too!” You called out with a small smile and wave.

 

Standing behind the counter, you propped your chin up with your hands, and stared at his retreating back.

 

‘He sure was cute’, you thought, a smile blooming on your face. ‘Wonder when will I see him again.’

 

Cling, cling!

 

“I’m back!” Jae Mi’s voice rang out. “Glad I didn’t get caught in the rain. Hey, are you all right? What are you staring into space and smiling for?”

 

“Huh? Nah, it’s nothing.” You snapped back into reality.

 

Taking out a box and placing a slice of lavender earl grey cake in it, you closed it gently and handed it to Jae Mi.

 

“That will be 6,500 won! Or do you want anything else?”

 

“Hmm… Another slice of lavender earl grey cake will be good!” Jae Mi declared, “I can have it for breakfast tomorrow!”

 

“You and your sweet tooth,” you commented as you placed another slice into the box.

 

“Yeap,” Jae Mi said, popping the ‘p’.

 

“And it clearly wasn’t nothing just now,” she muttered, jokingly narrowing her eyes slightly as she handed you two 10, 000 won bill.

 

You let out a soft hum as you took the bills, choosing not to comment further.

 

 

28th March 2016, Monday

 

Cling, cling!

 

“Welcome to Baker Talent!” You called out as you heard the doorbell chime, though your attention was still focused on placing a cake box in a carrier for the customer you’re currently attending to.

 

When you were finally done, you handed it to the customer with a smile and said, “Hope you enjoy your purchase and have a great evening!”

 

Then having spotted four customers getting up from their seats, preparing to leave, you rushed over to clear the tables.

 

After dumping the dirty dishes in the sink, you headed straight for the counter.

 

“Hi there! What would you like to have?”

 

“A slice of raspberry red velvet cake, mango cheesecake, strawberry shortcake and molten lava cake please.” The customers replied.

 

“The molten lava cake comes with a scoop of ice cream. What flavor would you like? Today we have vanilla, dark chocolate and salted caramel.”

 

“Salted caramel please.”

 

“All right, that’s 25, 000 won. I take it that you’re having here, so please take a seat. I shall serve you shortly.” You said, handing the customer his receipt.

 

‘All right, so one mango, raspberry, strawberry and molten. I’ll heat up the molten lava cake first, settle the next customer, then serve that group,’ you mentally noted.

 

You swiftly placed a molten lava cake in a tiny microwave and turned to face the next customer.

 

“Hello, what would you like to have –oh its you!” Your smile widened upon seeing Seungcheol.

 

“Yup, it’s me.” Seungcheol said, smiling slightly.

 

‘His eyes are really pretty,’ you thought, ‘it crinkles with even just the slightly smile’.

 

“Thankfully, nice and dry, not dripping wet like the last round.” He continued.

 

“That’s nice, hope you remember to bring an umbrella with you the next time. Just finished training?” You asked, noting that was carrying his sports bag and seem to be fresh out of the shower.

 

Seungcheol let out a nervous laugther, “truth to be told, I forgot to bring my own umbrella again. But here’s your umbrella, don’t think I’ll need it.”

 

And soon as he said that, the pita-pattering sound of the rain could be heard amidst the bakery’s background music.

 

The both of you looked at each other, and laughed.

 

“Well, I guess you can borrow it for a while longer,” you said, laughing hard.

 

“Yeah, got a friendly match tomorrow so I can’t afford to get sick.” He responded.

 

“Well, the bakery sure is busy, so I shall not impose on your further. Can I get a slice of lavender earl grey cake and a hot cocoa to go?”

 

You smiled apologetically, “so sorry, the lavender earl grey cake were all sold out today. And uh, our bakery actually doesn’t serve any drinks. We only provide iced water, see, the dispenser is over there, by the plotted plant.”

 

“Ah so the previous hot cocoa was completely out of goodwill?” He asked, raising a brow slightly.

 

“Why, yes! You looked so cold that I just had to! Besides, nobody will hate an act of kindness” You replied lightheartedly.

 

Upon hearing that, Seungcheol beamed. “Of course, of course,” he said, eyes softening as he looked at you in the eye. “I sure like a kind person.”

 

Ding! Off went the microwave.

 

You were kind of thankful that the microwave went off just then as you had no idea how to respond to that. ‘Was Seungcheol just being friendly?’ you couldn’t help but wonder.

 

“Oh the molten cake is ready. Umm so what would you like instead?”

 

“Hmm… I don’t know. Everything looks good,” he laughed, “care to recommend?”

 

“All right, then I’ll get you a slice of moist chocolate cake! Warm it up slightly when you get home and it’ll be perfect in this rainy weather!”

 

“Okay, so it’s 6, 500 won in total?” Seungcheol confirms, glancing at the cash register.

 

“Yes,” you replied, taking an exact amount of 6, 500 won and handing a carrier to him.

 

“Hope you enjoy the cake, and all the best for the friendly tomorrow!”

 

“Thank you, and thanks again,” He held up the umbrella, “for the umbrella. See you around!”

 

“See you around

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter