The Duel

Fallen Gokusen

The Spring Inter-Class Competition is nearing, Yankumi is more fired-up to have the whole class join and conquer the rugby match. With Kyoto refusing class 3D to enter the competition and the class not carrying that much to take place. Ogata's and Yamato's sides have already made peace, being more friends like usual. Ichimura, after meeting an old classmate from junior high, Takasugi, got in some trouble. Takasugi, who seems to be a quiet, studious boy, but actually had a dangerous side to him. Takasugi and few of his classmates were behind the incidents, to have people end up beaten. Ichimura goes through the same fate, but thankfully class 3D and Yankumi helped him out.

The week passed really fast with the rugby match and Takasugi incident keeping yankumi and class 3D busy. Mae kept herself busy too. She wasn't around much those days. Since she declared to have the duel with Ogata she took it too seriously. She needed to train and get back to her old fit self. It seemed that even with the life Mae lived she spent her nights with her grandfather, having Judo fights. The old man was a judo fanatic. He was the one that taught Mae. So, as we said Mae was good at fighting. The old man made sure that there would nothing that could easily take down his granddaughter. The only thing he couldn't predict was her family death and her witnessing it.

All 6 of them had already gathered at the Sakura tree area, waiting for Mae. After saving Ichimura there was still plenty of time for class to start. No one, of course, told Yankumi about the fight, maybe she would stop it, or she would be too happy about it. Both actions would be annoying. The team of 6 sat down waiting for Mae to arrive and were chatting.

"You think he will come?" Kuraki asked them all as he was fixing his hair.

Honjo that was treating Ichimura's cuts said: "Ren said he was too serious about it."

"But isn't he too petite and small to face Yamato?" Ichi added.

"Maybe he is, but somehow he seemed strong! right?" Kamiya also asked.

"I think he strong enough to fight with Yamato." said Ren "But not sure if he will manage an angry Yamato."

Since class 3D went to face Takasugi team, Yamato was pissed off. So, Mae would have to face an angry Ogata. "He is bad news! Either too brave or stupid! Bad news!" Ogata uttered.

A light rumble of wind erupted through the Sakura branches, while Mae was approaching. Like every day she was wearing Akado's black uniform, which somehow looked big on her. Under it, she would always wear a pink hoodie and sneakers. She had also worn a new elastic belt, to make sure her chest would look flat. She wasn't particularly tall, around 4'9, with a petite body, that seemed rather small for a boy. But she had managed her ways around fights. And what always draw the attention to her was her self-centered, fired up personality. Her short hair would wave as a cold breeze flee, revealing her face cute features. She had walked this path for a few minutes, never slowing down or increasing in speed - a constant pace without hurry or true motive. Soon, she reached the Sakura Tree's area where everyone was sitting. The fearless Mae paused and gazed at them for a second, before turning and glaring at Ogata.

'Ogata' she considered 'How evil can he be'. Mae spacing briefly, as she remembered again Ogata's pissed face. Although she snapped out of that thought fast, she didn't want to end up again shivering or scared. She was there to fight him. Although, when Ogata helped Kazama to find the thief, back then Mae thought he may be some how different. But after the bridge's incident, she didn't think much of him. For her, he was ill news. Like most of her new classmates. Honestly, she couldn't understand them. Mae always could read people, especially if it came to her classmates. But class 3D and Yamaguchi, they were too hard to predict. They were not fake like her old classmates. Maybe nosy, scary some times, but not fake. Neither did they care much about status and money, after all, Akado had nothing to do with the rich worlds of hers.

Ogata that had noticed the new classmate getting closer, stood up. He walked towards Mae gazing at her with his piercing black eyes. He walked until a few feet was all that remained between him and his opponent. Mae that had not to move from her spot kept glaring at him. Ogata scanned Mae from head to toe, he wanted to know what he was facing. 'He somehow looks different, may be stronger or angry. But it didn't change the fact that for a boy he seems short. Bad news I call him!' Ogata thought. Both of them and the rest were silent for a few moments.

Ogata spoke first "You came?"

Mae nodded "Wasn't I ... the one that asked you for this Duel! Why on earth would I not come?" she asked him with her big eyes gazing through him, as she should start tying her hair in a single knot behind her head.

"He seems so cute, with the hair up!" Kuraki yelled as everyone turned and gazed at him confused. "For a boy I mean!" he added.

"You can still run!" Ichi said to Mae only to be ignored.

"Then Let's start!" Ogata shot at Mae. He didn't have a set strategy to fight this guy but he knew the long-term effects of sparing to well. Now Ogata could do two things – Tire her till she's forced to make a mistake and deliver the finishing or make her ditch the fight and run. He had to make his mind up and that too soon, whilst his opponent was busy with placing herself in a battle-stance, ready to attack him. The rest of the group sat down watching Mae and Ogata getting in a position to fight.

Ogata placed his dominant (right) arm near the end of his chest, pushed his left foot forward, bend both his knees gently and raised the heel of his right foot a few inches off the ground to act as a spring when needed. Mae, that thought better to wait for it and deliver wisely instead of making sloppy mistakes, (of course not that she would delay the fight.), took also her position. With nothing more to say Mae paced her way over to her predetermined target. Mae inched closer and closer, keeping her eyes on Ogata, studying his posture, aiming for Ogata's shoulder with enough force to attack it after her double punch kick.

Ogata was calculated for he had noticed his opponent's grip on the double punch and the following kick. The steps forward were noticed first and rather than carry on backward his right foot pressed firmly in the ground. Allowing the first punch to kick Ogata at his shoulder, and dodging the next one with the kick. The punch was strong, but it couldn't cause anything serious. Ogata cracked a smile at Mae as he moved to a position to attack her. Ogata now pushing the right foot with his left arm like clockwork the right hand followed with a quick , serpent-like darted towards his opponent's torso aiming to punch it hard. Although, before even the punched would be delivered Mae dodged it easily. It's seemed that the petite Mae had speed on her side.

"Wow, he is fast!" Kuraki yelled surprised, that Mae actually could avoid that punch.

For the few next seconds both attacked punching and kicking. Some punches and kicks were avoided some other hit their target. Few bruises and light yell filled the Sakura area, as the fight went on. The duel was still young, no major wound happened and the group enjoyed it. It some how even looked fun. But that made Mae more pissed. She wasn't there to have fun, she wanted to have a serious fight. With Mae spacing, out for the second one of Ogata's punched actually hit her chest. She was lucky though because it was an infirm punch, that only caused Ogata to touch her chest. Instantly, Ogata's mind froze as he spotted something that it shouldn't be there. The thought that Mae maybe was a girl, raised at his mind making him go easier on her.

Mae on the other hand, that found free ground to attacked, become wilder. She threw two straight punches and a back kick sending Ogata to crash hard against the nearest Sakura tree. Everyone was surprised, with Ogata letting down his guard. Mae was also shocked and mad. She stormed towards Ogata and after lifting him, she pinned him against the tree. The rest of the group stood up. "Don't tease me around! I am serious here! If you gonna keep these Sissy act! I will not hold back!" she yelled at him.

Ogata gaze changed, to serious angry. Did she just call him 'a sissy'? His mind exploded in an angry state. He pushed Mae off him and with his sleeve he cleaned his lips. His eyes piercing now Mae's madly as he gathered his fist "You brat!" he yelled and stormed after her. Mae that at the fast change of Ogata's mood was not prepared got punched two times and met the ground. Everything went blare after that, as Ogata started kicking her in her guts, with out stopping.

Ren that jumped "!" he yelled and rushed over to Ogata, managed to grab him and pull him off her. "Stop it! He is down!" he went on yelling as Ogata could not manage his anger. He turned and kicked hard the trunk of the nearest tree. The pain against his feet only made him realize what happened.

Kamiya and Kuraki rushed over to Mae. They slowly turned her around and made her lean against the tree. "Ren he is still out! What do we do?" they asked really worried.

Ren, that had freed Yamato that had calmed down, also walked over. "He will get his senses back! Let's hope nothing is broken?" Ren said gazing back at Ogata.

Ogata was now seriously worried, not just because he went all crazy on hitting her. But because at the back of his mind he had the thought that maybe Mae was a girl. "Damn!" he yelled kicking one more time the tree.

"Yamato, calm down! Being like that will not fix anything!" Ren uttered.

In a short while, Mae started getting her senses back. Her stomach area although was killing her. She turned and bent, and gathered her knees towards her chest groaning and yelling. All 6 of them went closer trying to help her to sit up. It took a few deep breaths and loud screams to make her mind fully come back. She slowly sat up and leaned against the tree, coughing some blood out. Ren knelt close to her checking if she was alright.

"Are you Ok?" Ren asked serious "Should we get you to the hospital?"

Mae shook her head and with a low toned answered "No... no, I will be alright!"

Kuraki handed her some tissues "Here clean yourself up!"

All 5 were gazing at her worried, except Ogata that was still facing the tree. His angry feelings had dropped and were replaced by worry and guilt.

"That is why I told you not to fight Ogata! When he gets too serious, things get dangerous!" Ren told her.

"I know..." Mae mumbled, "it wasn't serious... it was something worse!"

Everyone gazed at her confused "Worse?" they asked.

"Ogata's serious fight to you... It is more like evil anger to me!" Mae said honestly.

Ogata turned and gazed at her with that piercing gaze of his. But he couldn't really tell her anything. Mae that gazed at him back, more scared than before and shivering slowly stood up leaning against the tree. Then she started walking away.

"Where are you going?" Ren asked her worried "can you walk on your own!"

"I am ok. We should go back to class!" she said and took her way back. Scared and lonely, it somehow felt horrified since Mae had no one to lean towards. Ogata was bad news indeed, but the others were his friends, so they would take his side. Mae hated that feeling. She never liked it to feel weak and scared. And around Ogata, she ended up feeling like that.

"Yamato why did you snap on him like that man?" Ren asked Ogata confused. "I thought you were playing with him and not actually fighting him."

"I was!" Ogata admitted "But he pissed me off! God, he pissed me off!" he yelled and walked also to class.

Soon, all of them reached the 3D class room and took their seats. No one really talked about what had happened. Yankumi, that come also into the class room with her happy clueless mood, could tell that something went on. Also, the bruises on Ogata's and Mae's face could tell the story.

Yankumi walked over to Ogata and Mae, with a serious face. Both of them were leaning against their desks speechless. "Did you guys fight!" Yankumi yelled at them.

Ogata looked up at her and nodded guiltily.

"Why did you fight?" she asked them noticing that Mae's wounds were more serious.

"It started more like a fun fight!" Honjo said.

"It looks more serious than it was!" Ichi added.

Although Mae was the person that could not sit and listen to things that were no accurate. And even if that was the outcome, it was Mae that started it. With Ogata ready to explain at Yankumi what happened. Mae sat up and faced her serious. "I asked a week ago Ogata to duel with me. To fight with me serious... about the leader spot.." Mae said honestly " Everyone said it was not safe. Even Ogata didn't agree at first. But I was too serious about that, and he finally gave in."

"I see!" Yamaguchi told her "And now what... ?"

Mae took a deeper breath as her stomach was still killing her "I lost. And I don't want to fight Ogata again." she said as she turned and gazed at him "Basically I am really scared of Ogata right now!" Mae scared and wounded run off the class room, towards the school field. She was puzzled and scared, she lied down watching the blue sky, and sighed. 'What the hell I am doing?' he asked herself as she tried to get some rest.

"Ogata I told you guys, meaningless fights make no sense. I thought you guys would understand that!" Yankumi advised him worried.

"I think he knows that Yankumi!" Ren told her as he walked over where everyone was.

"Ogata! Have you talked at Mae properly! Why is he scared of you! Did you apologize! Even if Mae asked for the fight, it was you who hurt him." Yamaguchi told him seriously.

Ogata gazed at Yankumi, 'Damn! she is right! Even if I was pissed at him.. her! what ever the reason I was wrong attacking at him.. her like that' he thought. He stood up "I will go and some how to make it right!" he yelled and stormed out of the class room.

Yankumi gazed at him proudly, while the others were still worried. If it came two those both no one really knew how it would end, when ever those two come together.

Ogata that had by then reach the field, walked over to Mae. She was still lying with closed eyes against the sandy floor. He paused just for second thinking if she really was a girl, or if he was totally wrong. He sat close to her, crossed-legged and poked her slightly. Ogata would never act like that. But the slightest thought that Mae was a girl made him unsure of how he should act.

Mae opened her eyes and sat up, blinking few times and the glancing at Ogata. "Ogata?" she mumbled confusedly. After she was sure it was him, she moved a few inches away from him.

"Are you hurt?" he asked gazing at her seriously.

"I am ok!" she mumbled and turned to face the school yard.

But Ogata that wouldn't let it go this time, crawled few steps and sat in frond of her. "About me going overboard... I am really sorry!" he said honestly and looked away. "Maybe you are right. When my rage hits me, nothing can really stop me. It some how is scary! But I didn't mean to take that rage against you!"

Mae remained to gaze at the yard puzzled. The Ogata she was facing right now, had nothing to do with the one she saw before. It was a soft side she never saw. Some how he sounded honest. Nothing like her old class members. And maybe she also over reacted. A few seconds later Mae faced him "It's all good. It was a duel, someone would get hurt." she mumbled.

"No! It isn't alright! I am honestly trying to apologize here!" Ogata almost yelled at her.

Mae glared at him "I said I got it! We are all good!" she said again standing now up.

Ogata that was again furious with her stood also up. He was almost ready to attack her again. He knew then what it was. It was her self-esteem. The security she felt hat drove him mad. But if he kept attacking her like that, there would not be an end on their fights. "Fine! I am glad that you got it! And don't forget after tomorrow you will be our errand-boy. You lost after all the duel." he yelled at her and walked off pissed.

Mae gazed at him more confused "What errand-boy?" she asked but Ogata had already run off.

'I cannot get it! I was supposed to apologize.. and I ended up attacking him... it's his fault!' he decided and walk into the class room. At least now, as an errand-boy maybe Mae wouldn't be so fearless.

Ren walked over as he saw Ogata take a seat. "What happened?" he asked.

"He is alright! He is our errand-boy!" Ogata said seriously.

Everyone turned at him "Our what?" they asked confused.

"You were supposed to say sorry to him.. now we have an errand-boy?" Ren asked totally confused.

"I said sorry. I even said it two times. Alright!" Ogata voiced "But he lost the duel. He wanted a serious fight. He didn't win. So I just getting what he owes me"

The group laughed at Ogata's point of view. But since Mae was alright, and Ogata apologized everything seemed good.

Only Ogata's thought was still puzzled, the idea of Mae being a girl, was still haunting his mind.

(Coming up chapter 5)