Final

They Call It The Blues

He threw himself back on the couch. Work was not as fun without his friend, his love, to cause mischief. Jiyong looked around. The house seemed to empty without the big goofy man making noise. There was no telltale clanking of mugs to alert Jiyong that tea was being made. There was no random bursts of rapping, followed by giggles as TOP would grab him to dance around the living room in socked feet.

Silence. That's what greeted him as he looked for... what? He wasn't even sure. Jiyong knew that the older man was gone, had left for his military service six months before. He'd been busy for sure. Just because they were missing a member, did not mean they were out of work. Jiyong was still spending hours in the studio writing songs for up and coming groups. He was practicing for his own solo stages as a final tour before he, Taeyang, and Daesung left for their own military service. There were days that he would fall into bed exhausted. Jiyong liked those days. That was when he would get at least a little sleep. It was the days, like the current one, where he'd not been busy enough to wear himself out, that brought back the longing. The loneliness.

Jiyong looked at the package on the coffee table. It was obviously from their oldest member. The handwriting was not much more than scratches on the label, and the return address was a police academy in the countryside. Seunghyun had sent him something. He wasn't sure if he was ready to see it. Jiyong reached for the remote and the television. As he flipped through the channels, his eyes wandered every so often to the package on the table. 

Finally, he couldn't take it any longer. Jiyong leaned forward, grabbed the poorly wrapped gift, and carefully tore it open. Two things fell out: a folded letter and a cd. His curiosity was peaked. He went for the letter first. It was very obviously from Seunghyun. All it told him was to watch the cd carefully. Jiyong picked it up and put it in the dvd player. He switched everything on the television to be able to watch whatever his love sent him. Gentle piano music started up. Then Seunghyun started talking.

"Hey there, Baby Dragon. I miss you. At least, I will be missing you by the time you watch this. I hope you are not overworking yourself. If I'm not there, I think you will not listen to the others and will wear yourself down. Please don't. I love you, you crazy kid."

Jiyong swiped at tears as he kept watching. Seunghyun said a few more things, but Jiyong wasn't paying  attention to the words. He simply watched the older man speak. He watched those lips move as he spoke, watched as those lips twitched into a sad smile. That sad smile sparked his own. He reached for some tissues to try to dry his face. 

"I'm singing this song to try to bring you comfort. By the time you watch this, I should be getting at least a day or two of leave. Maybe you'll come here to visit me? Maybe I'll come to visit you. I love you."

The piano music picked up in volume. Jiyong recognized the song, but he couldn't place it. When Seunghyun started singing, Jiyong burst into louder tears. Why this song? Why now, when he was feeling depressed?

"Don't wish it away, don't look at it like it's forever"

With this song, Seunghyun was telling him that he was hurting too. He was missing Jiyong as much as the younger man missed him. Seunghyun was pouring out his heart, and there was nothing Jiyong could do. He couldn't pull him into a hug. He couldn't call him up whenever he needed to talk.

"And I guess that's why they call it the blues
Time on my hands could be time spent with you
Laughing like children, living like lovers"

Jiyong pulled a couch pillow to his chest as he listened to the song, tears streaming down his face. He had given up on trying to dry his tears. Seunghyun's face was beautiful as he sang this song. He looked into the camera with love in his eyes. Jiyong wished so much that he was there with him. 

"Just stare into space
Picture my face in you hands"

He did picture it. Jiyong could see Seunghyun's smiling face as he ran his thumbs across the older man's cheeks. He could just picture those eye wrinkles as his lover gave him a toothy smile. 

"I simply love you more than I love life itself

And I guess that's why they call it the blues"

Jiyong wanted to tell the man singing how he felt as well. He'd hugged his arm when Seunghyun had to go to the salon that last time for his haircut. He'd buried his face to hide his tears as he realized that they were counting down the hours to when Seunghyun would leave them. They'd all been together for more than ten years. Seunghyun had been there through it all, though the scandals and the late nights, through the hate mail they'd received from the anti-fans and the criticism they'd received from their competition. It just hurt that Seunghyun would be gone for the next two years. Not only that, but Jiyong would be leaving during the older man's service, which just extended the time they'd be apart. 

The song was reaching it's last chorus. Jiyong knew the song. He'd listened to the soulful singer and loved the man's beautiful music and flashy stage costumes. He started to sing long with the words he knew. A deep voice behind him caused him to jump off the couch and turn around. 

"Tabi..." Jiyong managed to whisper. He watched as Seunghyun walked slowly toward him, singing as he moved. 

"And I guess that's why they call it the blues
Time on my hands could be time spent with you
Laughing like children, living like lovers, rolling like thunder under the covers
And I guess that's why they call it the blues."

"You're here, what are you doing here?" Jiyong's voice was ragged with emotion.

"I had to come see you, even if I've only got a few hours. I missed you so much, Baby Dragon. Come here."

Seunghyun held out his arms and Jiyong flew into them with a whimper. Both men shook as they reconnected for the first time in months. Jiyong could hardly believe the man in his arms was real. His hands seemed to have a mind of their own as they fluttered around Seunghyun, unsure of where to touch. He finally settled on rubbing his hands up and down the older man's arms.

"God I've missed you," he barely whispered.

"I've missed you too. What would you like to do? I really do only have a few hours."

Jiyong thought of all the things they could do. His face turned red as he thought of some more interesting activities, but his mind settled on one thing. It was a simple request. Jiyong leaned back.

"Can we just snuggle on the couch and watch movies?"

Seunghyun pulled Jiyong tight against his chest. The younger man could hear the rumble of laughter through the crisp police uniform. He'd missed that laugh. 

"I would love to snuggle you. It's been hard to sleep at night without you there. Maybe we could even nap for a while."

Jiyong flashed a shy, yet happy, smile. "That sounds wonderful."

The day couldn't have been more perfect as they lay on the couch, tangled together. They would have to part again soon, but for the time being, they were happy. They were comfortable. Jiyong pressed a kiss against Seunghyun's neck as the older man softly snored. He let out a quiet giggle. They would make it. It would be a long couple of years, but they would get through the time in one piece.