Hazel Eyes

Pretty Isn't the Point

Jiyong went out for a saunter in the park. 

He stopped when he realized he was standing under a cherry blossom tree.

The pretty little pink petal fell gracefully to the ground landing with a light touch.

Jiyong smiled as a petal fell into his opened hand.

He looked at the details gracefully.

A shutter brought him out of his thoughts.

When he looked up he noticed a girl with blonde hair and periwinkle eyes.

She chuckled softly as she looked through her camera to find the recent picture she had taken of him.

"I'm sorry. I just couldn't help myself. 

Jiyong chuckled softly while scratching the back of his head.

"It's quite alright, I just don't expect people to take photos of me. I'm not very photogenic." Jiyong joked.

The girl chuckled. She held her camera out for him to take.

"I try to take photos with deep meaning. You seem very photogenic to me." she flirted. He looked at the photo and then once again at the girl.

"I'm Jiyong." he introduced himself extending his hand. The girl smiled.

"Lee Chaerin." she greeted shaking his hand.

"So, are you a photographer?" he asked. 

Chaerin continued to move around the tree. 

She captured glimpses from various views.

She turned to Jiyong.

"I am, for that new popular magazine, Dove." she said.

Jiyong noticed her features.

Her blonde hair was perfectly straight.

Her eyeliner was perfecty winged maybe several times along with her complementing eyelashes.

Her lips.

Her lips were stained a bold red, the beauty mark on the side of her face added the real affect.

But nothing made her more beautiful, than those periwinkle eyes.

Bright, bold, and beautiful.

"You know, your eyes are simply mesmerizing." he complimented, but Chaerin thought of it moreover as a flirt.

She chuckled.

"Thanks, but it's just contacts. My real eyes aren't that pretty." she stated a compact amount of sadness tainted her voice.

Jiyong noticed this.

"Don't put yourself down like that. I'm sure your real eyes are just as pretty. Why do you wear the contacts?" he asked.

"My boss thinks that I should be pretty so therefore I'm required to wear makeup and contacts. Whatever makes me look less like me."

Jiyong was taken aback. He let out a breath he didn't know that he was keeping in.

"That's ridiculous. You shouldn't hide who you are." he stated. Chaerin could hear the worry and small amount of anger in his voice. 

She smiled to herself. She started to walk away, turning around after Jiyong called her name a few times.

"If I don't do it, I'll lose my job...and I love my job."

Jiyong felt something pelting his hair. 

It was raining. He turned around.

The pretty little pink blossoms where now covered with small drops.

That image reminded him of Chaerin.

A beautiful person who's personality was ruined by everyone showering her with things that she didn't want to be.

Things that society wanted her to be.

Jiyong knew that the temperature was dropping and he'd most likely get sick, but nothing in that moment would stop him.

Not until he got the perfect picture of the now soaked blossom.

"Are you following me now?" a female voice spoke. Jiyong knew that voice.

He looked up and smiled.

Chaerin.

"No, I just get a cup of coffee almost every morning." he replied chuckling softly.

Chaerin rolled her eyes and sighed.

"I know the feeling. Every now and then the team sends me to get coffee for the whole crew."

Jiyong's bright smile suddenly dropped.

He then remembered the reason why she seemed so pretty.

"It was great seeing you, I guess." she said nervously before turning around to leave. Jiyong stopped her.

"I meant to ask you yesterday. What is it about your photos that make them so meaningful and deep?" she smirked.

"I'll be at the entrance of the park taking photos this afternoon." and with that she walked out of the coffee shop.

Jiyong stopped walking and stared across the street.

As promised, Chaerin was there.

It seemed like she was deciding what to capture.

Jiyong looked both ways before crossing the street and meeting her at the entrance.

Chaerin noticed him and smiled.

"Oh, hey." she said, her greeting short and sweet.

Jiyong smiled. "Do you take all of your pictures in the park?" he asked.

Chaerin chuckled. "I'm not taking these in the park." she stated continuing to observe the park.

Jiyong frowned. "Then why are you here?" he asked. Chaerin touched the wall grazing it slightly.

She motioned for Jiyong to follow her. 

He hesistated at first, but he figured if he wanted to know her better he should probably follow.

And what Chaerin showed him, was like nothing he'd ever seen.

"How have I never noticed this?" he asked mesmerized by the beauty.

Towards the botton of the stone entrance outlining the park was a small section of roses.

Each rose was gracefully white.

Except the one in the middle.

It was blue.

"A lot of people pay attention to the big picture, but never the little details." Chaerin spoke, the shutter of her camera going off every few seconds.

Jiyong frowned.

"But wait, blue roses don't exist in nature." he stated.

Chaerin smiled.

"I know. I got a friend to artificially color it. It speaks a message. The same one that your picture spoke about yesterday."

Jiyong crouched down to view the flower.

"Oh yeah, what did mine say?" Chaerin smirked.

"That it's okay to be different."

Jiyong thought for a moment. Chaerin could tell that he was confused.

"Yesterday you wore all black yet you were holding a bright pink flower. The colors contrast and make the perfect image."

Jiyong looked at Chaerin.

"Can I ask you a question?" he asked. She smiled.

"You just did, but yeah, proceed." Jiyong let out a soft chuckle.

"How is it that a girl like you, one that's trying to be like everyone else and please society, capturing pictures of things that don't belong...because they're different?"

Chaerin's camera stopped shuttering. She turned to Jiyong.

She sighed.

"My boss wants me to be pretty-"

"Pretty isn't the point." Jiyong said coldly.

Chaerin looked at the roses.

"You want to show people a difference?" Jiyong asked getting up and walking away.

"Then be your own kind of beautiful." he stated.

Chaerin sat there. She took one last picture before smiling sadly and getting up.

Jiyong opened his door after the doorbell was rung several times.

He was welcome with Chaerin. Holding her camera and an envelope with her hear hung low.

"We've got to stop meeting like this?" he joked.

She chuckled.

"How did you know I lived here?" he asked.

"Easy." she stared. Her head rose and she looked straight into Jiyong's eyes.

"I told my boss it was for the magazine."

It wasn't the fact that Chaerin came to his house that surprised him.

It was her eyes.

Her gleaming hazel eyes.

Jiyong smiled.

"Come on in. I've got the coffee already brewing."

Chaerin smiled and walked in.

Jiyong stopped sipping his coffee when Chaerin slid the envelope his way. 

He looked at Chaerin. She motioned for him to open it.

"A fashion show?" he asked puzzled.

"You want to know how I became a photographer?" she spoke softly.

Jiyong looked at her and nodded.

Chaerin sighed.

"Dove isn't just a magazine, it's a model agency also. All together in one company."

Jiyong put down his mug suddenly entranced in the story.

"I was once a model. I got fired because they thought I wasn't pretty enough anymore." Chaerin spoke sadness threading her voice.

Jiyong gave her a sympathetic look.

"Before they got rid of me, a good friend of mine Park Bom begged them to. They looked back at my file and saw that I went to school for photography and modeling. And here I am." she finished with a sharp breath.

"Chaerin...I'm so sorry."

"Don't. It's fine."

Jiyong picked up the envelope.

"What does this have to do with me?" he asked. She smiled.

"All of the pictures I've been taking are for a section of the magazine. The theme is floral. I'm supposed to give every one who attends a preview, but I have some else in mind."

Jiyong looked at Chaerin, a frown appearing on is face.

"What do you mean?" he asked.

She smiled.

"You'll see."

Jiyong assumed that was why she was showing her real eyes.

The fashion show was fairly nice. Jiyong enjoyed seeing the models walk the runways and having their pictures taken.

They had such perfect skin and not a single mark on their faces.

The crowd uproared as each model walked gracefully down the runway with bold facial expressions.

After the last model was finished the boss lady got on the stage and spoke a few words. 

Jiyong glared at her, but nonetheless stayed proffesional.

"As you know we're not only a modeling agency, but we have our own magazine. Dove Magazine has been getting a lot of popularity over the last few months!" she said happily.

The crowd cheered.

"We can thank our photographer Lee Chaerin for all of this." the crowd cheered as a picture of Chaerin was displayed in the background.

Her smile was as bright as the sun, but what caught everyone's attention was her mesmerizing eyes.

"We are covering a new section wit a floral theme. Chaerin is going to talk a little about that and give you all a preview. So please join me in welcoming her to the stage."

The crowd cheered. I sat back in my seat and waited for Chaerin to walk onto the stage.

And when she did...

I was shocked.

The while crowd gasped.

Chaerin stood there.

She didn't have any eye makeup on, and her lips were and glossy.

But most importantly her eyes weren't that beautiful periwinkle color anymore.

They were Hazel.

"My name is Lee Chaerin and this how I actually look. I know that you all expect me to look like the girl behind me, but that's not me."

Jiyong smiled as Chaerin said her wordsof true power.

"I used to be a model, but before we started I was fired and moved to photographer. My boss still wanted me to wear the same makeup the models wore." she scoffed lightly.

"Isn't that something? The girl behind the camera is still required to look pretty. Well a good friend once told me that pretty isn't the point."

Jiyong smiled. He stood up. Chaerin turned to him and smiled.

"So this is the real me. And I am choosing to be my own kind of beautiful." she said her eyes never leaving Jiyong's.

He began to clap the rest of the crowd following.

Chaerin bowed before leaving the stage.

A week later she was headlining the newspaper and magazines. Except Dove of course.

"Photographer Speaks Up About What True Beauty Is." the title read.

Jiyong was walking through the park one spring morning when he heard a shutter go off. He stopped walking and smiled.

"Don't you just hate Deja vu?" he asked turning around.

A girl with short curly hair looked at him. She frowned.

"Excuse me?" she said. Jiyong's smile slowly faded.

Before Jiyong could apologize a female voice from behind him spoke.

"I do." 

Jiyong turned back around and there she was.

There stood Chaerin with her camera. She didn't have any makeup on nor her contacts.

Jiyong's smile resurfaced. 

"I figured I'd see you here." Chaerin spoke.

Jiyong smirked.

"So, you were looking for me?" he mocked. Chaerin scoffed.

"I came to give you this." she said extending her camera.

Jiyong frowned.

"You want me to have this?"

She smiled.

"I'm going away for a few days and I figured I should thank you. You are a complete stranger yet, you helped me with a huge problem."

Jiyong chuckled while caressing the camera.

"It wasn't me. You had it in you all along. You just needed a little push."

"Well, Jiyong, thank you for that little push." she said giving him a small peck on the cheek and walking away.

Jiyong stood there.

In the one place that started this hypnotizing encounter.

And he watched her.

He watched the girl that hid herself and answered to society's every call.

He watched her become herself.

Become her own kind of beautiful.

 

 

 

_____________

Well that is the end my lovelies! This is the longest one-shot I have written so far. I hope you all enjoyed and I kind of want to make a sequel to it. Thanks for reading. <3