fly away

Break Up

The six of them were sitting around at a restaurant table. 
Four of the younger boys were deciding what to order. Leo and Hakyeon said they'd be fine with whatever. 

Leo played a game on his phone while Hakyeon was daydreaming. He was a dance teacher but he also participated in competitions. 
Next week, there was one at Daegu at 9pm. It would be midnight by the time it ended. Should he just ask Leo to pick him up after since he'd be tired?
But then it was a Tuesday and his husband would also be exhausted from work. 

He shrugged, deciding to drive back himself. The other contestants were often young while Hakyeon was 25 years of age. Dancing was his passion and Leo worked an office job. 
When not in dance competitions, Hakyeon was a dance teacher in afternoons and had a part time server job in the mornings. 
They were well off with only Leo working but Hakyeon wasn't the type to sit idle. 
The two were opposites so Hakyeon always tried to be considerate and give the latter space. He didn't make a fuss of little things like forgetting a birthday or holiday.
They only knew each other 6 months before getting married. Leo was a person who struggled to verbally express himself but it was okay because Hakyeon understood him just fine. 

Currently, they were having a dinner with their friends. Sanghyuk was an intern at Leo's workplace while wonshik was a fellow instructor where Hakyeon worked. He was mainly a lot composer and an instructor twice a week during the afternoons. 
Hongbin was wonshik's cousin and Jaehwan was Sanghyuk's brother. They knew each other for a year now and were all very close. 

Now two years after the marriage, Hakyeon and Leo finally began to understand that they impulsively made the decision to elope. They were distant now and barely spoke. However, none of them cheated nor did they have a huge fight or anything. Without any major conflicts, they practically lived like good friends; roommates. 

"Hey, should I drive?" Hakyeon asked afterwards as the two walked to their car. 

"Go ahead", Leo said. 

When they got home, Leo said he was going to take a nap. They had an unspoken agreement that although they shared a room, when one person was in there, the other stayed out. Similar to bathroom etiquette. The only time it wasn't valid was night. 

It was a Sunday evening so Hakyeon changed and also settled on the couch. He was tired and wanted nothing but to enter a food coma. 
But when he lied down, he began thinking of his family. 
How were they doing?
Did they remember him?
He was kicked out when he came out. At the age of 17, he found himself at a homeless shelter where he stayed while he began to work to accumulate enough money to move out. Sometimes, they were full so he spent nights on the streets. 
He dropped out of school after that. He met Leo when was working as a waiter. The latter defended him when some drunk customers got physical. Hakyeon was 22 then. 

Leo was his first love and friend. He found himself looking forward to their meetings. 

Leo's family accepted Leo for who he was. But that didn't meant they accepted Hakyeon. Being of a different financial status, they were still hostile towards him. Even then, Hakyeon couldn't help but feel jealous of his husband. He had a family to back him up. Hakyeon had nobody. 

When they got married, Leo said he could support them both. Hakyeon didn't doubt it. But he also wanted to contribute equally and didn't want to seem like he was living off Leo's money. Nobody really said he was; just that Leo's relatives had that impression of him. 
But here also had other reasons. His future wasnt determined. And honestly, he trusted nobody after being kicked out. He had a savings account in which a certain percentage of money went from his earnings just in case he ended up alone again. That was Hakyeon's security and nobody knew but him. 

Two years after the marriage, he was glad he saved up because although the marriage was stable, the two of them had no relationship and it could only go down from there. It was only about time. 
And Hakyeon knew Leo would be guilty because he knew Hakyeon had nobody. 
Although Hakyeon would miss his friend, it wouldn't come down to a broken heart because Hakyeon never believed in love in the first place. And he held no negative feelings towards Leo. 
Although his husband was never the cliche type to bring hone surprises or gifts or even affection, Hakyeon was grateful. 
It would be easier to leave this time. 

Feeling a surge of emotion for his uncertain future, Hakyeon knew he wouldn't get any sleep. He got off the couch and grabbed a coat to head to the studio to practice. He needed to clear his mind. 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It was 11pm when he returned and Leo was on the couch, watching TV. 
"Where did you go?" 

"To practice. I thought I might as well since I have a competition coning up", Hakyeon replied. 

"Hmm".

"Um I'll be late on Tuesday because it'll probably end at around midnight".

Leo got up and grabbed his coat, "Kay, Im going out for a jog". 

Hakyeon sighed as the door closed shut. He knew the two of them felt the same. They were uncomfortable with each other and it was suffocating to be in the same space. Maybe Hakyeon will finally bring it up next week after the competition to get a divorce. Because god knows Leo won't. He just wanted the stuffiness gone. 
----------
It was Friday night and Hakyeon brought home Chinese takeout. 
"Hey Taekwoon-ah, I got Chinese. Can we talk for a bit?" He called kicking off his shoes. He had divorce papers in a folder and had been reciting what to say. It was now or never. The latter came out from the shower with the same stoic expression. 
"Yeah?"

"Can you please put some clothes on first? Let's eat dinner then talk, hmm?" Hakyeon suggested with a genuine smile. 

Leo was bothered on why they needed to have dinner together. It was suffocating as it was. But Hakyeon didn't ask for much throughout their marriage so he didn't protest. 

After dinner, the two cleared up the dishes and Hakyeon sat was his hands on the table in front of him. 
He cleared his throat before speaking. 

"I have been thinking for a while. I'm thankful for all your help these past few years. But I think we should end it here on good terms. This marriage is at its end. And I know you feel that way too", Hakyeon said. 

Leo didn't say anything as he took in what Hakyeon was saying. 
By the time he did, Hakyeon pulled out divorce papers. 
Leo breathed a sigh of relief as the stuffiness filtered out of the room. This was it, he'd finally be free. 

"But do you have a place to stay?" he finally spoke. 

Hakyeon forced a smile, "yeah, I'll figure something out." 
Hakyeon was kind of hoping that he could stay until the divorce came through so he'd have some time to look around for a new place. But it wouldnt be hard to find a motel. 

Leo could tell the other was lying but he couldn't be bothered because he simply no longer cared. They weren't going to be tied to each other any longer and he'd finally be free. 

The papers were already signed by Hakyeon so Leo didn't hesitate to sign as well. 

"Well then that's done", Hakyeon finally breathed the clear air as he slumped into his seat, "I'll start packing tonight so that I can leave by tomorrow". Leo nodded and went to his room to grab Hakyeon a suitcase. 

Hakyeon took his dandy time to fold up his belongings because he didn't have a lot of stuff. He was grateful for Leo's help. In fact he was glad they were ending on good terms. 

Things could've been worse; Leo could've cheated on him or hit him. But he had only been a gentleman. 

The next morning, Hakyeon woke up with butterflies. He was barely tired and he made himself some coffee and had cereal for breakfast. Leo woke up as soon as Hakyeon was done showering and all dressed. Hakyeon took a deep breath when he was in front of the door, "Good bye Jung Taekwoon". 

"Goodbye Cha Hakyeon" Taekwoon said as he leaned against his doorway. 
Hakyeon waved as the elevator door opened. 
Taekwoon waved back. 
And Hakyeon knew he made the right decision when he saw the smile on Leo's face. 

The first smile on Jung Taekwoon's face after their wedding day.