Chapter 1

Because It's You

“What is this all about!” Jeongyeon shouted at the top of her lungs soon after she climbed out of the company’s car as she was about to enter the house. Nayeon, their Manager, rushed out from the house, trying to cool her down. All the members that stayed in the house were surprised with the sudden high-pitched scream from the outside of the house. Jeongyeon’s voice was so loud that even Dahyun and Sana who were cooking for dinner in the kitchen could hear the shout and felt their heart skipped a little. Both Dahyun and Sana stared at each other. This is not something surprising. Dahyun’s worried eyes explained the message. Sana nodded her head, understanding the gaze.

 

“Calm down, Jeongyeon. You could wake the neighbours around.” The Manager patted her shoulder lightly, trying her best to calm the already infuriated Jeongyeon. Even though the conversation was done at the ground floor, all the members could hear the conversation clearly.

 

 

 

To be honest, all the members expected such reaction from Jeongyeon. Why not – Jeongyeon was the last person knew about the news because she accompanied Jihyo to the hospital. Jihyo was diagnosed with abnormal knee condition, the main reason why she constantly complained about the pain on her knees since last year. Jeongyeon kept on telling Jihyo to go to the hospital for further examination but Jihyo always put the group first before herself. Only when Jeongyeon secretly informed the Manager about the pain then Jihyo surrendered herself and went to the hospital.

 

Jeongyeon and Jihyo were best friend and all the JYPE artists and trainees acknowledged it. Last time, Jeongyeon and Nayeon could get their driving licence a year earlier than Jihyo but because Jihyo did not yet reach the minimum age for taking the licence, Jeongyeon waited for the right time to come so that Jihyo could take the driving licence together with them. Even though Jeongyeon was older than Jihyo, she always played around with Jihyo and kept calling her ‘unnie’ even in fan meeting and on camera.

 

That is how close Jeongyeon and Jihyo are.

 

And now, Jihyo was admitted to the hospital and Jeongyeon was selected by the Management to take in charge of Jihyo’s position – as a temporary leader of the group – while Jihyo is not around. Never in her life she will replace her best friend’s position – Jihyo was well-known for her quick-witted and versatile leader in the entertainment industry. Why not – she was chosen as a leader voted by the members thanks to her leadership and caring personality.

 

Become a group leader consists of three-nationalities members is harder than anyone could imagine. The main obstacles is of course none other than the language. Korean language is not the mother tongue for Momo, Sana, Mina and Tzuyu. At least when they were about to appear on television or radio show the script was given to all the members before it starts. Everything was scripted. Everything was explained first. Everything was briefed first.

 

At home? Anything could happen. Until now Sana twisted tongue to say ‘buttock.’ Tzuyu still not confident to talk Korean even among members and that is why she preferred herself to be silent at home – and Jihyo won’t let it happen. She tried her very best to polish their Korean language. She even held a simple language lesson in the car or in the changing room. Momo, Sana, Mina and Tzuyu – all of them are really appreciate her effort despite of the packed schedules and her crucial roles as a leader.

 

Jihyo is like a mother of the group. Everyone know that. Jeongyeon knows that.

 

As if the news of Jihyo’s knees ‘abnormal condition’ report is not enough, another misfortune news came along soon after Jeongyeon 'replaced' Jihyo. Jeongyeon was about to leave the hospital when she was swarmed by the reporters and cameramen. Jeongyeon thought that they will going to ask about the health condition of Jihyo for the first place. However, soon after Jeongyeon approached them, one of the reporters took out her iPad and showed the photo on screen.

 

“Do you know about the photo, Jeongyeon?” another reporter asked, aiming the recorder on Jeongyeon. Jeongyeon gasped, her eyes opens widely as she observed the photo carefully.

 

What the..

 

It was the photo of Mina and Bambam lying together, side by side, on a blanket or comforter or something. Jeongyeon only took a slight look at the photo, however, she recognized the place very well. In fact, all the trainees of the company are familiar with the place. It is the dancing room in JYP building.

 

“Sorry I don’t know,” Jeongyeon answered. “Sorry, but I had to go.” She pulled her plain black cap downward, covering almost half of her face and tried to walk away from there but overcrowded by aggressive reporters. “Jeongyeon, is it true that Mina and Bambam dating?” “Isn’t it Twice have a 3 years relationship-banned contract?” “Is the photo real or photoshopped?” Jeongyeon was bombarded with copious questions that even she herself wanted to find out.

 

 

 

“I’m so sorry, Jeongyeon, I was about to tell you but–” “Bring me home now.” Jeongyeon commanded, taking out her phone from the pocket and immediately searched on the photo through Naver.

 

“But Jeongyeon, the Management wants to meet you,” Pinky Manager turned his head to the back, staring at Jeongyeon who is quietly looking at her phone. He could feel that Jeongyeon is not an ordinary Jeongyeon today– she always cheerful when entering the car and asking Pinky Manager for opinion on what to eat before they go for the next schedule.

 

“I don’t care. Just send me home.” Jeongyeon rose up her voice.

 

“Okay,” Pinky Manager inserted the car key and the engine, leaving the hospital as Jeongyeon finally found the controversial photo of Mina. Deep inside her heart, Jeongyeon already yelled and cried loudly, profoundly hurt with the photo. Mina looks very happy in the photo. Jeongyeon clenched her fist and bite her lower lips.

 

 

 

“I don’t care. Where is she?” Jeongyeon pushed the Manager aside and headed inside the house.  “Jeongyeon!” The Manager followed her from behind. She managed to pull Jeongyeon’s hand and pinned her on the wall. “Jeongyeon. Calm down. I am shocked, too. Everyone does. Mina too. Even her mother had to deactivate her Instagram account after receiving malicious comments from haters. Getting mad at her won’t solve anything. You’re going to torture her heart. She’s severely hurt right now.”

 

“I have no time for counselling, unnie.” Jeongyeon pulled the Manager’s hands with force, continue to climb the stairs. The Manager sighed and followed her behind, in case Jeongyeon might act out of control.

 

 

 

“Owhh no. Jeongyeon’s coming.” Chaeyeong turned her head towards the door in the room. Except Jihyo, Dahyun and Sana, everyone was in the room, trying their best to comfort Mina that cried since the afternoon. Momo sat beside Mina who was lying on her bed, patting her back to calm her down. Nayeon went back from the kitchen, offering her a glass of water, worrying that Mina could dehydrated because her tears continuously to pour out but Mina kept on crying and sobbing. There was no sign from her to stop anytime soon.

 

Tzuyu and Chaeyeong were about to search for information for the sake of their school project on the Internet when the hot topic news of the Mina-Bambam photo appeared. When both them were about to ask Mina about the news, Mina already locked the door from inside, screaming and throwing stuff in the room. For the members who were stayed in the house at that time, it was their very first time experiencing rebellious side of Mina, shocking everyone in silence.

 

 

 

Every member in the room could hear the heavy step on the stair. Every single pace echoed from downstairs cringed every member in the house. The step was getting closer and louder. They knew Jeongyeon’s destination was to enter this room - to Mina's room.

 

Chaeyeong and Tzuyu stood up, hurriedly walking out from the room and headed to the stair with the hope that they could block Jeongyeon from entering the room. From the stair, Jeongyeon gazed them with deadly stare, before pushing them aside. “Unnie, please calm down,” Tzuyu pleaded, trying her best to stop Jeongyeon and pulled her hand behind with the help from Chaeyeong but Jeongyeon was too strong for them to handle. Normally, Tzuyu is able to even drags Jeongyeon around the house with only her single hand – Tzuyu is well known among members as the strongest one – but not this time.

 

“Step aside, you kids,” Jeongyeon pulled her hands away from them with force. Her power was incontrovertible this time, as if Jeongyeon was possessed. Tzuyu once again grabbed Jeongyeon’s hand and pulled it behind with all her might whilst Chaeyeong hugged Jeongyeon from behind and pulled her backward but to no avail. Jeongyeon managed to escape from their grasp and rushed to the room.

 

“Everyone! Get out!” Jeongyeon demanded. Everyone in the room jumped as they heard Jeongyeon slammed the door. “Jeongyeon,” Nayeon stood up and approached Jeongyeon. “You really need to calm down. Listen to Mina first.”

 

“That’s why I’m here. I want to hear what she wants to say.” Jeongyeon pushed Nayeon aside and stood in front of Mina. “Now everyone, get out!” once again Jeongyeon rose up her voice.

 

“Jeongyeon!” Nayeon shouted, annoying with Jeongyeon’s disrespectful behaviour towards the members. “Who do you think you are shouting like that to–”

 

“Unnie~” Momo moved forward and grabbed her hand, consoling the eldest member. “Let’s leave this room, unnie.” Momo wrapped her arm on Nayeon, guiding her towards the door of the room and closed the door behind. All the members were gathered in the living room, waiting nervously and staring at the room with fear. On the other hand, the Manager went downstairs as she received a call from the Management.

 

Jeongyeon walked steadily and sat on the bed right where Mina lie, staring at her back. The only sound that heard in the room is Mina’s soft hiccupping as she cried for a very long time by now.

 

Few minutes had passed since the door shut. Jeongyeon sighed as she could not wait for any longer, waiting for her explaination. Is she going to left me numb like this?

 

Jeongyeon was about to pull Mina’s back and forced her to sit facing her – when suddenly Mina rose up from her bed and hugged Jeongyeon, sobbing. “Jeongyeon-san, I’m so sorry. I didn’t mean to hurt you. Bambam visited me in the training room when I was practicing ‘4 Minute’ dance alone and he brought me to take photo after we had a short chat before he went back. There’s nothing more. We’re just friend.” Mina’s hug tightened as her sob became louder. “I’m sorry, Jeongyeon. I’m so sorry. Please forgive me. I didn’t mean to hurt you. I know I've completely hurt your feelings. I didn’t mean to do that, Jeongyeon. I'm so sorry.”

 

Jeongyeon finally got a grip from herself and nearly went to pieces when heard Mina sobbing even louder. Jeongyeon was really mad at herself. I should listen to Mina first. She wrapped her arms around Mina and kissed her head softly, silently crying and pouring her tears out. “I’m sorry, Mina-ssi.” Jeongyeon whispered. “I’m so sorry for doubting your love, our love. I’m so sorry for acting this way because I’m hurt, Mina, I’m seriously hurt. You’re too nice, Mina, you’re too beautiful to be mine.” Jeongyeon let out a deep sigh and hugged Mina closely. Her shoulders throbbed heavily as she tried to control her tears.

 

 

 

“Unnie,” Tzuyu finally spoke, staring at Chaeyeong. “I’m worry. Could you go to the room and checked whether both Jeongyeon and Mina unnie are okay?”

 

“Me?” Chaeyeong opened her eyes open. “Of course it’s you.” Nayeon said. “You’re her no-jam brother.” “But that’s not my room.” Chaeyeong defended herself. “The eldest should check it out. Besides, that’s your room, unnie.”

 

Nayeon sighed. “All right. All right. Because I know all of you are scared right now that’s why I’ll go and volunteer myself, waiting for my turn to be sacrificed.” Nayeon tiptoed as she approached the room in silence. Slowly and steadily she twisted the door knob – to minimize any possible sound from the door – and silently scanning the room.

 

The room was so dark. Luckily the light illuminated from the living room let some light in. Nayeon look intently at Mina’s bed. Jeongyeon and Mina were sleeping but in extraordinary position if they only declared themselves as sisters or friends to the public – the nonchalant romantic nuzzle position. Mina lie with head and arm on Jeongyeon’s chest whilst Jeongyeon wrapped her arm around Mina’s shoulders, hugging Mina closer and intimately as her lips touched Mina’s forehead. Even though their legs were covered with Mina’s penguin-patterned blanket, Nayeon could see their legs tangled. As expected from Jeongyeon. Nayeon closed the door carefully, afraid that any noise from her would ruin their sleeping moment.

 

All the members waited for Nayeon's appearance patiently in the living room. As soon as Nayeon went out from the room they stared at her, raising their eyebrows. “Sana,” Nayeon said. “I think we will not be able to sleep in our room tonight.”

 

“Why unnie?” Sana questioned. “Just because.” Nayeon answered, staring directly at Sana. “Ohh!” Sana finally understood the sign.

 

“Okay kids. Who is volunteer to offer their bed and let me sleep with them tonight?” Sana smiled. “Me! Me! Me!” Dahyun rose up her hands. “Okay, except Dahyun.” Sana played around. “Unnie~” Dahyun frowned. Everyone in the living room laughed, looking at her cute reaction. “Okay. Okay. Because Dahyun is too cute,” Sana kissed Dahyun’s cheek, “You’re mine tonight,” Sana grabbed Dahyun’s hand and brought her to the bedroom.

 

“Go and sleep, everyone.” Nayeon said, patting her members’ buttock lightly. “Sana, make sure I didn’t hear any noise from your room. I don’t want Chaeyeong and Tzuyu could not get enough sleep just because you’re so excited lying beside Dahyun tonight.”

 

Nayeon took her phone on the cabinet as it vibrated, receiving new message from the Manager. She read the content of the message thoroughly before shared it to the members. “Okay everyone. Nayeon unnie messaged me just now and informed that for the time being all of our schedules are cancelled until further instruction from the Management. Have a holiday, everyone.” Nayeon delivered the message to the members. “Yeay!” the girls rejoiced. “Except Chaeyeong and Tzuyu,” Dahyun mocked.

 

“Is it okay if I sleep with you tonight?” Nayeon asked Momo who was about to open her door room. “Sure, no problem.” Momo nodded. “So how’s Jeongyeon and Mina? Is it okay if we leave them alone?” Momo tidied up the bed, placing her giant doll in the middle and leaving space at the right side, just enough for Nayeon to sleep tonight. “They will be alright. Besides, they are lovers. Opps!” Nayeon paused while looking at Momo. “No worries. I realized it too. Besides, they are getting obvious.” Momo smiled. “Way too obvious. I wonder why the youngsters didn’t realize it until now.” she added.

 

“Glad to know that I’m not the spoiler fairy this time.” Nayeon lie on the bed while staring at the phone. “Good night, Momo.” “Good night, Nayeon.” Momo turned off the light and rested on the bed, immediately into a fitful slumber. Few hours later, when Nayeon was already in her dream world, she was awoke as she felt something was falling on her head. When Nayeon was about to turn her head to the side, she saw a bundle of dolls – who else if it is not belongs to Momo – arranged in the middle between Momo and Nayeon. Gosh! Nayeon sighed. Now I understand why Jeongyeon kept on mentioning whether Momo wants to sleep with her or with the dolls.

 

 

 

“Bye unnie. See you later,” Tzuyu waved from the window car as her sisters waved both the schoolers from the balcony. “Be careful!” Dahyun shouted while waving at the cars. “Bye, everyone! Wish us good luck.” Chaeyeong called from the car. As the car disappeared from their sight, the members entered the house one by one – and sighed for the scene they saw in front of their eyes in the living room.

 

“Just look at them. Owhh~ how shameless,” Nayeon rolled her eyes, looking at Jeongyeon and Mina on the sofa – Mina lie her head on Jeongyeon’s thigh as Jeongyeon fed her green grapes – while watching Harry Potter movie.

 

“Mina-ssi,” Jeongyeon lovable eyes stared sweetly at Mina. “There’s something on your cheek.” “Is it?” Mina questioned, wiping her cheeks with Jeongyeon’s shirt numerous time before she asked again. “Is there any more left?”

 

“I’ll help you,” Jeongyeon bowed her body and immediately kissed Mina’s cheek. “It’s my love that left on your cheek, pabo.” Jeongyeon smiled, almost melting the heart of Mina because of her sweet gesture. “Owhh Jeongyeon~” Mina playfully patted Jeongyeon’s arm. She could not hide how excited she was when she was around Jeongyeon and it clearly explained from her blushing face.

 

“Gosh! Get a room, will you?” Nayeon heavily sighed as she left the couple and walked to the kitchen, looking for something to eat for breakfast.

 

“Sana unnie! What are you trying to do!” Dahyun defended her face with a plastic plate as Sana dipped her finger in pancakes mixture and aimed it at Dahyun. “What? I haven’t doing anything.” Sana laughed, holding Dahyun’s hand tightly as she made it to stain it on her face. “Sana unnie~” Dahyun sulked, standing straight and staring at Sana.

 

“Dubu dubu~,” Sana the mixture and intently looked at Dahyun. “Happy?” Sana questioned with a smile on her face. “Unnie~,” Dahyun hit Sana lightly, smiling timidly. “My dubu,” Sana hugged Dahyun tightly and patted her lightly. “I’m sorry, okay? Please don’t get mad at me.” Sana apologized playfully, releasing the hug and looked at her smudged hand.

 

“Dahyun! I accidently pat my hand on your hair.” Sana walked to the sink immediately and washed her hand thoroughly. “Seriously, unnie?” Dahyun panicked. Sana grabbed the towel on the cabinet and wiped Dahyun’s hair. “Owhh no. I used this towel for wiping mixture spill just now. Your hair,” Sana looked at Dahyun and laughed. “You looks like a granny right now.” “Sana unnie!” Dahyun whined.

 

What am I doing here? Nayeon frowned. I should join Momo and eat jokbal not long ago. Being an odd number in this house is so not cool. Nayeon walked to her room and played games in her phone. She was about to pass out when she received a call. Nayeon picked up the call and greeted the caller immediately. “Jihyo! What's up?”

 

 

 

“Jeongyeon!” Jihyo shouted from the other side of the call. “Where is my Bungeoppang (fish-shaped bread)? You promised me to bring it this morning.”

 

Jeongyeon mentally slammed her forehead hard. Gosh! I’m totally forgot. “Sorry Jihyo. I’m totally forgot about your Bungeoppang.” Jeongyeon replied. “Owhh~ Bungeoppang,” Mina interrupted, smiling to herself when hearing the word of the food. “Suddenly I craving for Bungeoppang, Jeongyeon-san.”

 

“Wait. Is it Mina?” Jihyo asked as she heard another voice from Jeongyeon’s side. ‘Yeah.” Jeongyeon responded. “Does she knows the news? About the photo thing?”

 

“She already knew it.” Jeongyeon replied while ate peeled tangerine that was fed by Mina. Thank you, Jeongyeon lip-synced with a smile on her eyes. “She does? Where is she now? Is she alone in the room? She must be really depressing right now.”

 

“She’s at home.” Jeongyeon stared down at Mina who was playing with her hair. “She’s alright. She’s by my side right now. Don’t worry, Jihyo.” Jeongyeon reassured Jihyo, hoping that she won’t think much about the rumours. “Thank you, Jeongyeon. I know I can count on you.” Jihyo sighed lightly, not a sigh of downhearted feelings, instead  it is a sigh of relieved, feeling blessed for having a helping hand like Jeongyeon.

 

“Please take care of Mina, Jeongyeon. You know how fragile her heart is and you know how sensitive she is–” Jeongyeon could not concentrate with the call as she was drown to the angelic expression of Mina – her eyes, her smile, her touch, her voice, her breath, her everything – to the extent that Jeongyeon accidentally off the call.  

 

Without her realize, Jeongyeon once again bend her body, caressing the lovable face of her adorable Mina and kiss her on her lips, softly at first, and then with an immediate progression of intensity and sensual that made Mina clings to Jeongyeon more. Mina closed her eyes, sending all the sensations all over her nerves almost instantly because of her sudden gesture and before Jeongyeon parting her insistent lips, Mina kissing her back, a sensual kiss that spun her world round and round.  

 

“Jeongyeon, stop. I’m dizzy.” Mina whispered, turning her head weakly from Jeongyeon. Jeongyeon pressed her head harder this time and another kiss was planted on her lips. It was perfect – Jeongyeon’s soft lips against the bite of the sour green grape and sweet tangerine still on their tongue. Mina did more than just not stop Jeongyeon. She kissed her back.

 

“Mina,” Jeongyeon whispered, “You mean so much to me. You are too generous to appear as nothing for me. I’ve waiting for this moment for years. If I were to live a thousand years, I would belong to you for all of them. If we were to live a thousand lives, I would want to make you mine in each one. My affections and wishes are unchanged, but one word from you will silence me on this subject for ever. Mina, I'm totally into you. I love you from the bottom of my heart.” “Shh~” Mina placed her finger on Jeongyeon’s lips. “I love you too, Jeongyeon. There is no other.”

 

Jeongyeon paused and shocked, never once in her life that Mina will accept her confession. Jeongyeon pulled Mina closer and hugged her tightly. “My God! Thank you, Mina! Thank you!” Tears of happiness poured out from her eyes. “If your love were a grain of sand, mine would be a universe of beaches. I'm totally fallen for you.”

 

“No, Jeongyeon, you’re the one who I should thank for. I want you to know that you’re very special in my heart.” Mina pecked quick kiss on Jeongyeon’s lips. “I love you, Jeongyeon.” Jeongyeon gazed at Mina passionately before kissing her back. “I love you too, Mina.”

 

 

 

The company car stopped in front of Gwanjang Market, one of the most crowded Korean food stall in Seoul. As Jeongyeon promised to bring Jihyo her Bungeoppang, she suggested to the Manager to bring her to the market rather than buy it at the small stall opposite to their house.

 

“Jeongyeon, you’ll going to be crowded by insane citizens and they’ll ask you about Mina’s controversy. Are you sure you’re going there?” the Manager asked her numerous times as Jeongyeon picked her padded coat in the changing room.

 

“I’m know it’ll happen. I’m fixed with my decision.” Jeongyeon tidied up her hair after she wore a black beanie on her head. “In fact,” Jeongyeon turned her head and faced the Manager. “I’ll bring Mina along to the market.” “You what?” the Manager shocked. “This is risky, Jeongyeon. Mina could get hurt because of the furious fans.” “I know, unnie, but I’ll make sure that she will be unharmed. I'll protect her.”

 

 

Pinky Manager turned his head and faced Jeongyeon. “Are you sure you’re going to do this, Jeongyeon?” he asked. Jeongyeon grabbed Mina’s hands tightly and smiled, “When it all about Mina, I am always ready. If it weren’t for Mina, there would never have been an empty space, or the need to fill it.” Jeongyeon added.

 

“You’re ready?” Jeongyeon stared intimately at Mina who waited patiently at her side. Mina nodded. Jeongyeon smiled as she opened the door and stepped out from the car, grabbing Mina’s hands tightly on her side and put an oath to herself – never let Mina go. Jeongyeon slowly stepped out from the car followed by Mina from behind. As predicted, alerted public immediately pulled out the phone and snapped uncountable photos of Jeongyeon and Mina as they walked together in the street, clenching their hands.

 

Mina did not mind with the reaction. Mina did not bother with the exposure of their open intimate relationship. With the courage she gained from Jeongyeon, Mina knew that she will never alone. Even though the future ahead her is unpredictable, she knows that Jeongyeon will always by her side, supporting her from behind. Always.

 

I never needed anything

When you held me close to you

Our hearts beat together

And I knew you are the one

 

I know you felt alone with your heart

But what I say is true

Every tear that fell from your eyes

Fell from my eyes too

 

I want you to know

I love you more than anything

And I'll never let you go

Because it’s you

 

 

 

 

-The End-

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Author's P.O.V.

Hi readers! Thank you so much for your interest in this fic.

Because of the massive love I received (which I don't expect it at all), the sequel is now available.

http://www.asianfanfics.com/story/view/1233483/on-your-side-mina-twice-jeongyeon-jeongmi 

Don't forget to check it out!