Sequel

Let Me (Love You)

Jongin’s POV

In just three more days, I’m about to turn thirty-two. Officially.

 

Of course, I’m not expecting anything from anyone. Nope, nu-uh... totally NOT expecting anything. Perhaps a small kiss on the cheek would do. Maybe a date. Movie, perhaps. Ooh, isn’t there a new movie coming out in three days? Something about cars.

 

Yes, I’d like a car. After moving in with Kyungsoo – officially, if I might add – I’ve been coming home every night after my shift. Home. That word sounds nice, isn’t it? It’s been a while since I saw my parents too.

 

Then it occurred to me, a great plan I should have thought about earlier.

 

With Jonguk already one-year-and-a-half, I thought it’d be perfect for a small family trip back to the place where we used to live and attend school together. Plus, I wanted my parents to meet the baby.

 

And Kyungsoo must have missed his parents too.

 

“It’s a great idea, Jongin. But what about work?”

 

Work... ah yes, I forgot about that. If I have to describe my job in two words, it would be “godforsakenly stressful”. Being a doctor meant having to constantly be alert for the familiar siren of ambulance entering the hospital compound, for new patients to be wheeled in to the emergency room, for the hustle and bustle of families barging in and crying out for their loved ones, for the nurses to push and pull at every little damn thing until there were barely any space for me to manoeuvre my way across the busy hallways, and for me to be on tip top shape with good health, focus and stamina, in case I needed to stay awake for a very very long surgery.

 

Most of the time, though, being healthy, focused and energetic were almost impossible to achieve, especially when I’m plagued with sleepless nights and the lack of good nutrients streaming through my body.

 

Kyungsoo’s cooking each night may have restored some ounce of meat under my skin, but it didn’t push away the headache and stress and exhaustion I’d get during work.

 

If I had a choice right now, I would choose to go on a long vacation and be damned with work. But I also took an oath to do the very best for my patients and I couldn’t just leave without having a replacement doctor to back me up.

 

So I turned to my other best friend of more than ten years, the ever loyal and ever loving Park Chanyeol.

 

“You owe me dinner for the next three months and you’ll have to make my bed every morning for the next five months.” He crossed his arms and gave me a -eating grin, I wanted to punch his face for it.

 

“Oh come on... that’s too cruel. I’m only going for a week.”

 

“A week will cost me eight more hours of sleep, and I’m already moving with only four hours of sleep each day.”

 

“Park Chanyeol, you know I love you.” I deadpanned, hoping to weasel my way out of this.

 

He was relentless.

 

“Ok fine, I’ll buy you dinner for the next one month and make your bed every morning for two months.”

 

He merely shook his head.

 

“Two and three then.” I begged.

 

“If I let you off on one month of dinner service and two months on bed-making chore, you’ll have to cover for me the next time I decided to take a week off.”

 

“That’s an overkill and you know it, Park Chanyeol.”

 

He shrugged. “Then you set the conditions next time.”

 

“Deal.”

 

Then it was done. My one week vacation would start tomorrow.

 

I will be going on a family trip with Kyungsoo back to our hometown in Busan, and it will be the best damn thing to ever happen this year. Jonguk could also meet his grandparents for the first time. If I counted along my parents, he’d have four grandparents waiting for him back there. The thought somehow made me giddy and excited. Like a real family.  

 

Kyungsoo packed the bags, booked a car for a week, and we made love the night before, with Jonguk sleeping in the crib at the foot of our queen-sized bed. I couldn’t ask for a better start to a week’s vacation.

 

Just five months ago, after Kyungsoo confessed his feelings to me (I will never EVER get over it), we started dating officially – as boyfriends first. We usually hung out as best friends when we were still in high school, but now the title has changed. I booked for a one-day babysitter service to take care of Jonguk, then I took Kyungsoo to a fancy restaurant with the money I saved up in my reserve account.

 

Kyungsoo was too handsome for me to resist. The same night I took him out, I came home and pinned him against the wall for a long, hard kiss. Then our hands started roaming to places we never ventured. I was lost in the heat of the moment. He was lost in my arms.

 

We made love for the first time, and we never stopped since then.

 

I guess it’s because we already knew each other for a long time, and the awkwardness was never there. When we weren’t acting like love-struck buffoons, he became my best friend and played video games with me until the late hours on my day off, or we’d watch a movie in the living room and throw popcorn at each other. Sometimes, we’d play certain games that we used to play during high school, especially the blind man’s game where he’d cover his eyes with a blindfold and try to find me as I lead him on.

 

Jonguk could already talk by then, learning little words like “da-da” – yes, I’m still proud to be the first person he called out to – and “ma-ma” (that’s Kyungsoo, by the way). We almost taught him a bad word once, but Kyungsoo’s quick thinking saved us from a narrow escape of bad parenting. He also punished me for using a bad word in front of a toddler.

 

Now, back on track. Did I ever mention how se*y Kyungsoo’s a*s is? Very.

 

“Jongin, stop daydreaming when you’re driving.”

 

“I’m just thinking about that high-pitched you let ripped last night.” I stole a glance at him just as his cheeks colored. A blushing Kyungsoo was a rare sight, indeed.

 

“You’re a jerk.”

 

I laughed. “You still love me though.”

 

“Unfortunately, I do.”

 

“Would it make you feel better if I say I do too?”

 

He blushed even more.

 

We were on our way to Busan by then. It would be a three-hour drive from where we were and we planned to stop halfway to let Jonguk rest somewhere.

 

As I expected, Jonguk was restless during the whole ride.

 

He kept fidgeting, biting at my arm when I didn’t pay him any attention because I was too focused in driving. Kyungsoo had a hard time putting him to sleep until I had to make an emergency stop at a rest area somewhere and take him on a little walk while Kyungsoo bought some snacks.

 

Once he calmed down a little, we were on our way again. The three of us arrived at my parents’ house in Busan before lunch. My parents absolutely adored Jonguk. We also invited Kyungsoo’s parents over for lunch. It was suffice to declare Jonguk as the happiest baby in the world in those few precious hours of personal bonding.

 

While the charming little critter distracted our parents’ attention, I dragged Kyungsoo to my room, locked the door and well... the rest was history.

 

“He’s such a charming little boy, very intelligent too...” Kyungsoo’s mum said over dinner late that night.

 

“Shame about your ex-husband, dear.” Jongin’s mum added, passing the mashed potato.

 

Kyungsoo tensed at her words, and I wished my mother hadn’t brought up this topic.

 

“I’ve always liked that boy, Won Kim. He was very sweet.” Kyungsoo’s mum continued. Kyungsoo was just staring at his food by then.

 

“What he did to my son is despicable.” Kyungsoo’s dad remarked. “I won’t have another word about him. You’re making Kyungsoo uncomfortable, dear.”

 

“Oh, my dear. I’m so sorry, sweetheart.”

 

I wanted to reach across the table and hold him in my arms. He suddenly stood up and just shook his head, tears b in his eyes. “I need some moment alone for a minute. If you’d all excuse me...”

 

Then he ran up the stairs to my room. I ran after him. He was sitting on the bed with his knees drawn up when I found him, looking so small and helpless. I didn’t hesitate to pull him into my arms.

 

“Hey, you alright?” I asked.

 

I could feel his head shaking against my chest. “They didn’t have to remind me about my failed marriage. I truly thought he was the one for me... We were together for so long and I didn’t think he would just...” He sobbed harder.

 

“Shh... the past is the past. At least he’s still treating you well. He’s still helping you to provide for Jonguk. It’s not like he abandoned you completely.”

 

“He abandoned Jonguk and I can’t forgive him for that... He abandoned me when I need him the most.”

 

“I was there for you.”

 

His crying gradually stopped. I continued to hold him until his sobbing turned into tiny sniffles and I rubbed his back to make him feel better. Eventually, he calmed down enough to let me kiss him on the forehead. I wiped away the excess tears on his eyes and cheeks, traced my right thumb across his swollen lips, and then kissed him chastely.

 

He kissed me back gently, wrapping both arms around my neck.

 

Eventually we pulled apart, because someone cleared at the door.

 

“So I see...” came my dad’s voice, looking at us like we grew two heads suddenly. He was carrying a sleeping Jonguk in his arms. “I wanted to call Kyungsoo down because the child’s asleep.” He looked slightly mortified, to be honest.

 

I guess it wasn’t the most picturesque thing to see; your son kissing his best friend.

 

“I guess mum didn’t tell you, huh?” I said. I told my mum months ago, thinking she’d tell my dad. She’d always been the tattletale of the family.

 

“No, I believe she didn’t.” Then he seemed to be thinking about something. “You know... I used to like a guy back in high school...”

 

“Ok, conversation over for now.” I abruptly stopped him, not wanting Kyungsoo or the baby to hear this (if he could). I took the toddler from my dad’s arms, gently passed him to Kyungsoo and told the love of my life to wait for me downstairs while I deal with my dad.

 

This might take a while.

 

-----------------------------------

Kyungsoo’s POV

Like father, like son, I thought. Chip off the old block, so they say.

 

I cradled Jonguk in my arms and kissed him gently on the forehead. Slowly descending the stairs, I could hear my mother’s voice in the living room, talking to Jongin’s mother. They were knitting together when I eventually saw them.

 

“Oh sweetheart, he fell asleep earlier.” My mother said in a hushed tone. “Come here and have a cookie. You can put him in the makeshift crib your dad made earlier.”

 

I saw a lot of pillows piled on the floor. Makeshift crib, huh? Nevertheless, I placed Jonguk on top and the little critter didn’t wake up at all.

 

“I’m sorry for saying that to you earlier, dear.”

 

“It’s okay, mum. The past is the past. Anyway, he’s not important to me anymore. Jongin is.”

 

Jongin’s mum took this as a cue to speak. “Oh yes, speaking of Jongin, how has he been? I got worried when he rarely called these days.”

 

“He’s been extra busy with work.” I bit into a cookie. It was super duper delicious.

 

“I see. Well, he could at least give me a call. It made me worried when he didn’t call home at all.”

 

“I’ll call you the next time he’s busy.” I vowed. She seemed grateful for my words.

 

“Thank you, dear. Now I see why my son loves you.”

 

“It’s very cute isn’t it? High school sweethearts falling in love after years apart...” My mum sighed. “Almost like a Korean drama.”

 

“Korean dramas tend to exaggerate the plot, mum. Most of the time, life seemed pretty mundane.” I snorted, looking over at my sleeping child.

 

“Don’t be a spoil sport, Kyungsoo. Do you know how I met your father?”

 

He came in just in the nick of time. Speak of the devil, I thought.

 

“Did someone call me?”

 

“You’re always appearing out of nowhere.” My mum chided.

 

He merely shrugged. “I was out at the back, looking at the herbs Kim was growing.”

 

“It’s growing quite well, isn’t it?” Jongin’s mum continued.

 

By then, I knew the conversation would be too dull for me to participate. I slowly slipped away, edging towards the front door. I glanced over at the stairs for a few seconds, thinking that Jongin might come down and we’d take a walk to the park together.

 

When he didn’t appear, I simply left the house and stepped out for the first time since we arrived. Across the street, I saw my house. From where I stood, I could see the window leading into my room.

 

My old room. I wonder if my records were still there.

 

Thinking that I’d take a few minutes to just check out my old room and then return to Jongin’s house, I left without saying anything.

 

The stairs leading up to the bedrooms creaked when I stepped on them. I knew which steps would creak and which part of the railing had tiny dents on the outer side. I remembered falling down these stairs a million times. I could imagine and remember every little moments of my childhood growing up in this house.

 

When I got to my old bedroom, I could smell the old books on my study desk. My mum never threw out anything. The floor was spotless. My bed was made, with new bed sheets and new duvet. The old stereo speaker was still sitting on the nightstand.

 

I hadn’t visited home for almost a year. The last time I came was when I was still pregnant. Four months in. I was a bit feverish so my mum told me to come home.

 

I laid down on the bed and closed my eyes. Cleared my mind. Breathe.

 

However, I didn’t realize I fell asleep.

 

-------------------------------

Jongin’s POV

Frantic and worried. I could literally pull all my hair off, thinking about where Kyungsoo could be.

 

I looked at my parents and Kyungsoo’s parents. They were talking amongst themselves, suggesting places where Kyungsoo might be. I only prayed for two things by then: first, to have Kyungsoo back, safe and sound. Second, for Jonguk to remain asleep during this whole ordeal. If he noticed his mum missing, he might throw a fit and no one could calm him down but Kyungsoo.

 

Which brought me back to the original cause of my panic: WHERE THE HELL IS KYUNGSOO?!

 

“I’ll go look at the park.” I offered. Without waiting for their green light, I took my jacket and left the house. It would be a bit chilly by then, since the sun has set and the streetlights were turning on.

 

Kyungsoo might be sitting in the park, at the same spot we used to hang around when we were kids.

 

He wasn’t there when I arrived.

 

“Shoot. Where in the world did you go?” I was frustrated with myself mostly, for thinking I knew Kyungsoo the best, but in reality, I had no clue about where he might be.

 

Then it occurred to me that I hadn’t checked his house. I rushed back immediately, entering the Do residence without bothering to knock. Luckily, the door wasn't locked. Straight to his room, I ran.

 

When I saw Kyungsoo sleeping comfortably on the bed, my heart stilled. Immediately, I felt my knees buckled beneath me and I let out a long relieved sigh. Kyungsoo was safe. He’d been safe the whole time.

 

Thank heavens.

 

“Kyungsoo?” I called out, trying to wake him up. Instead, he merely shifted to his sides, snoring lightly.

 

I sat on the bed beside him, back the loose strand of hair from his forehead. “You scared me, Soo. I might need to punish you for it later. Sheesh. At least tell us where you’re going if you’re planning to leave somewhere.”

 

He didn’t even stir.

 

“I love you, Do Kyungsoo.” I whispered into his ear. Then from the corner of my eyes, I could see moving, though without a sound, saying, “I love you too.”

 

------------------------------

Kyungsoo’s POV

 

We celebrated Jongin’s birthday (and mine) at Jongin’s house. There was a big cake in the kitchen when I brought Jonguk over to his place. My parents said they’d come over a bit later, after they finished with the house chores.

 

Jongin was just coming down the stairs in his jammies when I entered the house. He gave one sleepy kiss on Jonguk’s forehead and the toddler begged to be carried by his “dada” this time. After taking Jonguk into his arms, he gave me a sloppy kiss on the forehead too.

 

“Good morning.” He said groggily.

 

“What the hell? Are you even awake, Jongin?”

 

“I’m quite awake, unless the angel I’m looking at right now is just a dream.” He teased.

 

“I swear you can make a pregnant just by waking up every morning.”

 

“Are we expecting Jonguk 2.0?”

 

“You wish!” I took Jonguk back and stomped into the living room, with Jongin trailing behind me, laughing at my reaction.

 

“You’re the most horrible human being ever, Kim Jongin.”

 

“But I’m still your human.” He gave me a back hug after I put Jonguk down in his makeshift crib, which was still a bunch of pillows piled up together on the floor. Jonguk seemed comfortable enough, though, because he didn’t cry.

 

“Did you brush your teeth?”

 

“Marry me.”

 

I gave him a look. Then a glare. “Where is this coming from? Did you hit your head somewhere?”

 

“I’m not even joking, Kyungsoo. It’s too early in the morning for me to pull a marriage joke.”

 

“Well, it’s also too early in the morning for you to just propose to me when you’re not even out of your jammies yet.” They were penguin-printed jammies by the way.

 

“If I take a shower now and put on a pair of old jeans, white shirt and a jacket, would you go out on a date with me?”

 

“I’m your boyfriend.” I deadpanned. I was internally facepalming.

 

“Point noted. Then I’ll make today the best day you’ll ever have.”

 

“We’re getting married on our birthdays, then?”

 

“13th January, the one day separating your birthday from mine, should be the most special day for us.” He said seriously.

 

My heart skipped a beat. Oh god, Jongin was dead serious about this. He actually wanted to marry me. I felt time was going too fast for us, because just a year ago, we were only best friends. Now, he was planning to propose to me after only a few months of being boyfriends.

 

I needed time to think/ Yet, I could see the excitement emanating from Jongin.

 

Would it be a crime... to jump from one failed marriage into another? What if this turned out to be another failed marriage?

 

What if Jongin stopped talking to me?

 

What if he abandoned me too?

 

When I realized I was venturing into the dark corners of my mind, I immediately shut away all those nasty thoughts and refused to let them affect me. The past is the past. Jongin was right.

 

I needed to move on and find my happiness.

 

“You got get ready and I’ll ask your mum if she could watch over Jonguk for a day.”

 

Jongin immediately ran back up to his room.

 

Oh boy... what do I do now? How do I get rid of this weird guilt I’m feeling? My feelings were everywhere; a haywire. I needed to sort something out first. After pulling out my phone from the back pocket of my jeans, I speed-dialled the fourth number on my list.

 

Won Kim.

 

“You know what the court order says, right? Once you get married, I don’t have to pay for your maintenance anymore.”

 

“Just me. But you’re still supporting Jonguk. I read the petition you wrote, Kim. Don’t forget I was your secretary for almost three years.”

 

“I never doubted your intelligence, Soo. It’s just that since you’re planning to marry Jongin, and he’s probably loaded enough to take care both of you, I don’t think it’s necessary for me to take responsibility anymore.”

 

“He’s your kid, too!” I hissed. “And don’t just assume you know Jongin. He works hard to earn a living too, and you of all people should understand how that’s like.”

 

“Why are we fighting over this, Soo? I thought we’re done fighting.”

 

“I needed to tell you, okay. I wanted to know if you’re okay with me marrying Jongin. I know it’s weird... because we’re already divorced. I could choose to marry whoever I want. But I don’t want to feel like I’m doing this behind your back. Despite the divorce, you were still my first husband.”

 

“No worries, Soo. This won’t break what’s already broken.” I was mad at him by then. The compassionate man I used to know was now a stranger to me.

 

“Well, you’re the one who broke it in the first place.” I said, and then abruptly cut the line.

 

“Baby, you’re okay?” Jongin’s voice called out to me from the top of the stairs. I flashed him a small smile and he looked at me worriedly.

 

“It’s fine, Jongin. I was just talking to Won Kim.”

 

He descended the stairs. “What were you talking about?”

 

“I wanted to tell him that I’ll marry you, but I didn’t want him to stop taking responsibility towards Jonguk.”

 

“I told you that I could take care both of you. We don’t need your ex-husband anymore.”

 

“Yeah. After talking to him just now, I feel the same way. He doesn’t deserve to be in Jonguk’s life anymore, directly or otherwise. The three of us could start our own family and live happily ever after.”

 

Jongin’s anger slowly dissipated. “The date is still on. I’m getting changed.”

 

He was only wearing a towel around his waist at the time. I followed up after him. Once we entered his room, he promptly locked the door, and we had s*x until I was so sore I could barely walk.

 

I decided to call this special day “KaiSoo Day”, combining our names together. It’s the day we celebrated our birthdays together, every year during high school, and now, it’s the day I got engaged to Kim Jongin. Hopefully, next year, 13th January would promise something more special than today.
 

End (for now)

----------------------------

Hey guys, Rachel here :). I wanted to create a healthy relationship based on trust, love and respect. The drama may be minimal, but yeah, I guess writing love stories with too much tension can cause me to stray off course. Anyway, I hope you enjoyed the story. Thanks for reading.