destined to break

destined to break
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Title: destined to break

Author: ilovesungyeollie

Pairing: MyungYeol

Genre: Romance, Angst, Red String of Fate!AU


-

Ever since he could remember, Myungsoo had been able to see the red strings of fate everyone else talked about but couldn't see. As a child he had been amazed, seeing thin red strings everywhere, twisting and turning around every corner. He didn't understand the meaning back then but realized it was something special when everyone looked at him in awe when he said he could see the red strings.

Growing up, Myungsoo had learned how to ignore the strings that stretched and covered any available surface. He also figured it was better to keep his abilities a secret because when people knew, they would badger him about helping them to find their soulmate. What was even more troubling was when someone wanted Myungsoo to cut their red string for them, whether it was because they didn't believe in soulmates or were in love with someone else. Myungsoo just didn't want to mess with fate.

And it was because of his ability to see the red strings that Myungsoo knew the one he was destined to be with on the first day of kindergarten.

At the time, Myungsoo still didn't really understand the concept of the red strings but nonetheless he knew he just had to befriend that beautiful bubbly boy. Slowly following the thin red string that laid on the ground, snaking around the desks, Myungsoo walked towards the boy who was animatedly acting out an action scene with mini wooden figurines. Plopping down on the carpet opposite the boy, Myungsoo silently watched him play until the other finally realized he had an audience. The boy had smiled, a wide gummy smile, introduced himself as 'Yeollie' and declared the two of them friends before Myungsoo even spoke a word. Myungsoo didn't mind though, smiling back at the boy and nodding enthusiastically, introducing himself as well.

From that day on, the two of them stuck together like glue. It was well known that where there was Myungsoo, there was also Sungyeol and where there was Sungyeol, there was also Myungsoo. Together the two of them played pranks on people and got up to all sorts of mischief. They explored their town together, they studied together, everything.

Going through high school, Myungsoo finally discovered the true meaning of the red strings of fate. One day during lunch, Myungsoo and Sungyeol had been eating on a bench together when Myungsoo had turned his head to say something to Sungyeol. But when Myungsoo's eyes landed on Sungyeol's big, brown eyes and wavy auburn hair, his mind became blank and his whole world shifted. It was in that moment Myungsoo realized he was in love with Sungyeol. And when he caught sight of the red string that connected their wrists together glowing, Myungsoo knew they were meant to be.

But Sungyeol didn't know that.

-

Bass pounded through the room, shaking the walls and the floor. Screams and yells of excited adolescents were barely heard over the music. The overfilled room was stuffy and hot but everyone was too happy to care. It was their high school graduation party, or rather the after party. Everyone wanted to have a good night before vacation officially started and they had to find summer jobs before university began.

Myungsoo and Sungyeol were also amongst the crowd, jumping and laughing hysterically, busting out silly dance moves. The alcohol they had drank earlier flowed through their body, making them feel lighter. After a good hour of uninhibited dancing, Myungsoo and Sungyeol extricated themselves from the throng of people. Giggling and shouting, the two of them stumbled through the room and out the back door onto a patio. Surprisingly there was nobody else outside. Taking this opportunity, Myungsoo and Sungyeol dropped onto the two person swing chair.

The night air was cool and refreshing, a welcome change from the stuffy room inside. The moon was out, bathing everything with a white glow, and twinkling stars filled the black sky. Myungsoo turned his head to admire the beautiful boy beside him and smiled when he saw Sungyeol gazing up at the sky in wonder.

"I can never get over how beautiful this is." Sungyeol says, referring to the night sky.

"I can't either." Myungsoo murmurs, eyes never leaving Sungyeol's handsome side profile.

A moment passes before Sungyeol turns to look at Myungsoo. Their eyes meet and something overcomes Myungsoo. He moves as if possessed and in the next second Myungsoo's lips are pressed firmly against Sungyeol's ones. Time stills for Myungsoo, his eyes falling shut as he savours the feeling. He leans forward, trying to press harder into the kiss but Sungyeol is pulling away and Myungsoo is left hanging.

When Myungsoo opens his eyes, Sungyeol is staring at him in confusion. His words leaves Myungsoo feeling cold.

"Myungsoo, are you drunk?"

Myungsoo stares at Sungyeol in silence for a few seconds, more sober than ever. He glances down at the red string that ties the two of them together. It's not glowing like it usually is. Returning his gaze to Sungyeol's face, Myungsoo squeezes out a laugh.

"I guess I am. I don't know what came over me just then. Sorry, Yeol."

Myungsoo tries to sound nonchalant while his heart feels like it's getting pierced with knives.

-

Summer passes in a blur. In no time university is starting and so is the next chapter of their lives. The kiss is never brought up again, Sungyeol passing it off as one of his best friend's drunken antics. Myungsoo tries to forget it, telling himself it was nothing, but the outright rejection wouldn't leave his mind.

University is stressful but fun. At the start it was hard to adjust to the new ways of teaching and the focus on self-learning but Myungsoo and Sungyeol got used to it soon enough. On the other hand, the amount of freedom they had was amazing. They could choose to skip class if they so wished, eat whatever they wanted for lunch and play with friends during their breaks and off days.

Studying different things, Myungsoo taking photography and Sungyeol pursuing architecture, meant their timetables weren't very compatible. However, they both had Thursdays off and agreed to spend the day together every week. They tried to study, for at least a few hours, when they met up but usually that went out the window as soon as one of them started on an interesting story that happened to them during the week. It was during one of their weekly meet ups when Myungsoo first felt his world breaking apart.

“Hey Myung, guess what?” Sungyeol had started, an almost smug expression on his face.

Myungsoo had glanced over, an unsettling feeling emerging from his stomach.

“What?” Myungsoo had replied with trepidation.

Sungyeol had grinned and whipped out his phone, tapping for a few seconds before sliding the device across to Myungsoo. A photo of a cute girl with long black hair greeted Myungsoo’s eyes. Myungsoo had stared, uncomprehendingly, until Sungyeol lost his patience and answered the question Myungsoo was supposed to ask.

“That’s my girlfriend.”

Myungsoo’s heart stuttered and he had looked up at Sungyeol with wide eyes. But Sungyeol didn’t notice a thing, rattling about how he had met the girl and how they had hit it off immediately. When he was done with his story, Sungyeol had looked at Myungsoo expectantly.

With a deep breath, Myungsoo had managed to choke out, “That’s great, Yeol.”

-

From that day on, being with Sungyeol was like fighting a war. More often than not, the bright and bubbly boy would mention something he did with his girlfriend and Myungsoo would be left trying to act like nothing was wrong. Myungsoo also constantly worried about the other boy asking him about his red string. Sungyeol, of course, knew about his best friend’s abilities and it would only be natural for him to ask about it now that he was dating someone. But Sungyeol never did and Myungsoo didn’t know if he should be relieved or worried.

A few months passed a

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter