Final

We Don't Have To

**I apologize for taking so long to update, but thank you for your patience! Please be sure to leave comments, I love comments :3 As always, your name is JinRi in this!**

***********************************************************************************************************************

Your PO.V.

         Waiting the day of was always the worst. I was always used to waiting for JunHong to say he would be able to see me. Whether it was a 3AM walk in the park or ten minutes before his next schedule or even random times he would invite me over to the dorm to enjoy a meal with all of the members, it didn't matter. So long as, every once in a while, I had the privelege of seeing JunHong with my own two eyes rather than through a screen. There was a period of seven months I had once gone without seeing JunHong but that was only because he was touring the world. My talented giant. 

         But today was a Christmas miracle. There was snow on the ground, it wasn't too cold, it was only twelve in the morning, and I had the whole rest of the night with JunHong on his way back home. And it was Christmas Eve. I loved Christmas for the fact that there was always Christmas music playing, I had an excuse to spoil JunHong as much as I wanted, I could drink hot chocolate every single day, and I could wear sweaters all the time without being judged for it. 

         I sat in the cafe JunHong and I loved, waiting for him. It had been brutal going to school then work then back home to prepare a meal for the two of us and get ready to meet Zelo. I wasn't tired at all, I had just been waiting so long to see JunHong. His present had been ready for two weeks, just sitting in my closet. This year, JunHong tried to convince me to stick to a limit on how much I could spend on him but I simply laughed. I had gotten him a new watch, an army print sweater, a pair of earrings he's been wanting, and made him his favorite desserts. I imagined him opening it, giving me his biggest smile and pulling me in for a hug. I imagined his strong arms and firm chest and soft hair and milky skin and his fingers interlocking with mine. 

         All I had wanted for Christmas was to spend some time with JunHong and I felt incredibly blessed that it was actually happening. Right on time, JunHong walked through the door of the cafe and began looking around for me. I tried to hold back a smile but immediately failed. He was rubbing his hands together and shaking off his boots when he noticed me in the corner. Even though his scarf covered half his face, I could tell he was smiling back at me. 

         The waiter barely acknowledged him and went back to cleaning the counter. Thanks to Zelo's current neutral hair color, it wasn't too hard for him to dress incognito. As soon as JunHong sat down, he grabbed my hands and rubbed his in between mine. "You're freezing," I whispered. 

         "Yeah, Yongguk hyung dropped me off a block away," he replied. His smile hadn't gone away. 

         "But why?"

         "I thought it would be less suspicious. Anyways...hi," he whispered, leading my right hand to his mouth and giving it a smell peck. I immediately felt a blush creep up my cheeks. JunHong and I hadn't even managed to kiss each other yet. At least not past the cheek. But I didn't mind. I was too scared to, anyways. I didn't know how good of a kisser I was and I didn't really want to find out. I had never kissed anyone I actually loved before. I had only experienced awkward kisses with two different boys who were much too eager back in high school. 

         "H-hi," I said in a small voice. 

         "Why are we whispering again?" he asked. I laughed, then, and squeezed his hand a bit. 

         "I'm not sure, we're the only ones in here," I said in a normal voice. JunHong proceeded to laugh and then ask me if I had ordered anything. "Actually, no, I was waiting for you."

         "Were you waiting long?" I could sense the guilt in his voice. 

         "Of course not! Don't worry about me, I would wait forever," I said. 

         "For me?" he asked, smirking. I didn't want to give him the satisfaction so I looked away and began to read the menu to him off the board. He laughed and kicked my foot under the table. 

         The waiter came over after a few more minutes and asked what we would like. Zelo kept his head down and muttered a piece of strawberry shortcake and a small Americana while I asked for a small hot chocolate and a fruit tart. "Don't eat too much," I warned JunHong. He already knew I had prepared dinner because I had stupidly snapchatted him while I was in my apron. At least he didn't know what I made. 

         It had taken only a few minutes for the worker to prepare our drinks and desserts. Right before he walked away, he quickly hung up something on the lamp that dangled above JunHong and I. My eyes immediately followed his hands but JunHong was too busy staring at his cake with wonder. That of a waiter had hung up mistletoe. What a ert! Did he plan on watching us kiss?

 

Zelo P.O.V.

         I was about to feed JinRi a piece of my cake when I noticed something hanging from the lamp. Upon the realization that it was a mistletoe, I was so shocked, I dropped the bite of cake right on the table. What a waste...

         Furiously attempting to ignore what hung above our heads, I blurted, "I'm gonna eat it!" JinRi immediately started to crack up, telling me that I had no way of knowing how dirty the tables were. I laughed with her after a short while and waited for the heat that crept up my cheeks to fade. 

         It didn't. Throughout the entirety of our late night snacks (that I hoped weren't spoiling dinner), the heat stayed on my cheeks as I continued to steal glances at the mistletoe. I ended up liking JinRi's fruit tart more than my cake so we switched plates. This fruit tart still didn't beat hers. She could bake and cook her off. I almost vocally whined when I finished the last sip of my Americana. Then, I stole one last glance at the mistletoe. It was time to go. If she had wanted to kiss me tonight, she would have when the waiter had first slipped the stupid thing onto the lamp. But why didn't she want to...? I wondered this sometimes, late at night when the moonlight would spill in through the windows and I couldn't sleep because I missed her. I wanted to hold her hand and hug her all the time. Sometimes, I wanted to kiss her. Sometimes, I couldn't keep my eyes off her lips when we would talk so we would just enjoy the silence instead. 

          And sometimes, when I thought too hard about why we still hadn't kissed, I thought that maybe she didn't want to kiss me. Maybe she didn't feel as much for me as I felt for her. JinRi had been staring at me. I straightened up and cleared my throat. "What's up?" 

          "Nothing..Would you like to have some dinner?" she asked sweetly, her smile reaching her eyes. I sighed in content at her beauty. 

          "Of course," I whispered. We wrapped ourselves in scarves and coats and I let JinRi walk ahead of me to the door. The mistletoe seemed to call out to me once more. The waiter had his back to us and JinRi was distracted picking up a coin from the floor. Holding my breath, I snatched the mistletoe from the lamp and shoved it into my pocket. Then I rushed towards JinRi and before she could react, interlocked our fingers and pushed the door open for the two of us. 

          To be honest, I didn't even know what I planned to do with the mistletoe. I knew myself well enough to know that it would probably sit in my pocket the whole night and I would do nothing about it. But right now, holding JinRi's hand in my other pocket to keep her warm and gazing at the Christmas lights while we walked to her apartment was all I needed. It was as if I could feel my heartbeat swelling through my arm and right into her hand. She made me feel warm against the harsh winter wind. It blew flurries of snow off the rooftops and swirled around us. I could feel her shivering so we walked quickly. JinRi always got cold easily. 

          It was only a short walk to her apartment. We took the stairs instead of the elevator because there were less people. JinRi argued that it would help us work off the pastries, too. I laughed at that because honestly, our schedules were so hectic that we worked off anything we ate. Once in her apartment, she hung our coats and such on a rack and began to walk to the kitchen. I followed her, leaving the mistletoe in my pocket. She handed me some plates and asked me to set the table while she heated up the meal she cooked eearlier. I didn't know what it was yet but I was excited to eat. Thankfully, the fruit tart hadn't filled me up. 

          JinRi carried out the food while I looked for a movie for us to watch. I settled on Aladdin because she loved the songs and I loved seeing her smile at all of her favorite parts. Maybe after this one, I could slip on a horror movie without her noticing and then laugh when she got scared. And then she'd want to hold my hand and I'd pull her into my chest and kiss her forehead. 

        Dinner was delicious. Sliced porkchops with kimchi stew and rice. I filled myself until I could no longer even look at more food. JinRi and I brushed our teeth after dinner and did the dishes as we sung "A Whole New World" together. She would sing Aladdin's parts on purpose so that I was stuck singing Jasmine's part. I could barely even keep up with all of the English but it came naturally to her. I watched her lips move to the lyrics as I subconsciously cleaned the last plate and placed it in the cabinet. When we had dinner at her house, doing the dishes and washing up became second-hand nature. And then we'd always end up on the couch playing games or watching more movies. 

        Tonight, we let some music in the background play. We sat cross-legged on the couch and got ready to exchange gifts. I took her hand and placed the small bag in her fingers. JinRi had a small smile that quietly grew as she handed her gift to me. We agreed to open them at the same time. 

        "Okay, go!" I said, immediately removing one gift at a time and unwrapping it. JinRi did the same, occassionally looking up to see my reaction. Everything was so nice, it was as if she always knew what I was thinking. I vowed to save the mini fruit tart and strawberry croissant until I missed her most before they went bad. Then, I slipped the watch effortlessly onto my wrist and admired how classy I looked. It was traditional yet chic and she couldn't have picked a better one. 

        I beamed at her and then realized that she was about to open the note. How embarrassing!

 

JinRi P.O.V

       I couldn't help but smile all the way to my eyes when I spotted lavender-infused chocolate and the Supreme shirt I'd been wanting forever. Why was he so perfect in every way? There was a small box at the bottom of the bag and a note left but I decided to reach for the note first. I loved JunHong's notes because he would always try to draw something super cute and write me cheesy words. But the afterword would be only a few sentences that actually expressed his true feelings. As I began to open the envelope, JunHong grabbed my hand. 

       "Maybe don't read it right now," he suggested, his other hand on the back of his neck. I pouted but complied and reached for the small box instead. 

       I could tell it was jewelery and I couldn't help to laugh at how similar our gifts were. But once I opened the box to reveal a silver necklace with a single diamond flower, my smile disappeared. It was beautiful and I felt spoiled. JunHong motioned for me to turn around and I did so as he leaned over me and took the box from my hand. I forced my breath to remain even as he reached over me with the necklace and then secured it, his hands warm on my neck. 

      "I hope you like it," he whispered, backing away. I turned to face him and rested my fingertips on his knuckles. 

      "It's beautiful, JunHong...Thank you so much," I whispered back. I actually felt like crying. 

      After we gathered ourselves and stopped marveling at our gifts, we cleaned the wrapping paper and JunHong pulled me into his arms on the couch. I chose to ignore my nerves for once and forced myself to relax. Besides, we had hardly an hour left until JunHong had to make his way home to his family for Christmas. 

      I played Christmas music on the phone and admired the feeling of JunHong's chest rising and falling on my back. He played with my fingers and I admired everything from his cuticles to how soft his hands were compared to mine. JunHong was telling me story after story about the members and how they had celebrated Christmas before going separate ways to visit their families. I would tell him stories about work and school. But as the night dwindled down, I was more desperate to keep JunHong by my side. I wanted him to remain there, caring and humorous, tall and beautiful, forever. 

      I basically cringed when JunHong said, "Whoa, it got so late..." I turned my head that rested in his shoulder towards his neck and nuzzled my nose against it. He smelled intoxicating. 

      "What are you talking about, it's so early," I mumbled into his neck. I felt JunHong take a deep breath and let it out slowly. 

      "I'm sorry, JinRi," he started. But I didn't want to hear it. 

      "Don't apologize, JunHong. You know I already understand." 

      "But...this part always ," he started, shifting against me. I sat up and he followed. I could always wait until he left to start crying. Because the feeling of him leaving was like my life was being turned upside down. Nothing made sense without JunHong. Sometimes, I forced myself to pretend he'd be waiting for me when I came back home. This time, it was\ harder to keep the tears in. 

       "You should see your family!" I found myself successful in sounding somewhat convincing. JunHong nodded slowly, getting up and beginning to gather his things. I walked over to his jacket and held it in my arms until he was ready. Without him noticing, I brought the coat up to my face and breathed in the scent of something I could only describe as JunHong. My eyes began to water and I blinked furiously. 

       JunHong was closer to me now and turned around so I could help him into his coat. I had to go on my tippy toes and even then, he had to crouch a little. We began to laugh at our height difference once more and he turned around to wrap his arms around my waist. I could feel his breath on my neck. I wrapped my arms around his neck and took in as much of him as I could. Neither of us really knew how long it might be until I saw him again. 

       Would it be before the new year? Could I be so ridiculous as to suggest a New Year's kiss now? It would be our first...

 

Zelo P.O.V

       As we separated from our hug, I felt the heat on my cheeks rise. "Merry Christmas, JinRi..," I whispered, slipping my hand into my pocket and pulling out the mistletoe. I held it above our heads and waited for JinRi to look up. My heart was beating so hard, I swear I could hear it.

      JinRi's eyes slowly followed my arm and when she realized what I was holding, I saw her eyes widen with surprise. She opened to say something but nothing came out. I felt heat not only on my cheeks but on my ears, now. My heartbeat pulsed through my entire body. I was scared that she would reject this. I mean, she was so shy! How could I be so blunt as to basically ask her to kiss me? 

      "We don't have to!" I blurted out. Then, I made eye contact with her. She blinked slowly and closed . 

      "What..?" she asked, slowly. 

      "We don't...have to...kiss...," I whispered, lowering the mistletoe and pocketing it. 

      When I looked down at JinRi, she swallowed. 

      Then she closed her eyes and tilted her chin up. I stared in disbelief for a split second. She wanted to kiss me. She wasn't rejecting me, after all. I could barely hold in my smile. With her eyes still closed, I let my fingers brush her cheek first. Initially, she flinched. Then she relaxed and let her cheek rest against my hand. Her shyness made my confidence increase. I could kiss her now. I could show her everything I felt for her. Then, ever so slowly, I let my face fall towards hers. 

      I was surprised at how much I had to bend down. It made me break out into a smile...she was honestly so short. My nose brushed against hers and a second later, my lips were on hers. I pushed my lips against hers with the slightest bit of force and felt JinRi lean her head back. Smiling into the kiss, we separated. 

      It was warm and sweet and completely chaste. It was her first, I knew that. My fingers grazed her cheek and when we had separated, I blinked a few times. JinRi's eyes slowly opened and immediately gazed back into mine. I glanced down at her lips and was relieved to see a small smile forming. 

      "Merry Christmas, JunHong," she whispered. I beamed back at her, feeling warmth spread throughout my entire body. The walk to YongGuk hyung's car wouldn't be so cold after all.