A Helping Hand

Fly
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Phone, bag, passport – all present. You glanced up at the clock: seven minutes until gates announced. Just enough time to visit the ladies’. You swirled around the door and into the cramped cubicle with your backpack in tow. Having made the mistake of leaving it outside the door before, only to have it stolen, you were not inclined to repeat the experience. Running was not your strength but you were far too stubborn to let yourself stop. In the end the lady had tripped up ahead of you out of exhaustion, letting you catch up and reclaim your things. Half a win? Given this was almost the end of your tour of Asia, it would be an awful shame to lose all your worldly belongings and tangible memories now.

As you washed up your hands, you heard a commotion break out outside. It looked like you might have to push your way through to the notice boards so you could run in the right direction and quick. Having no check-in baggage may be an advantage when it comes to getting off the plane, but you had to be one of the first on it to be able to force it into a locker before it became too full. Wow, sounded like some of those girls sure had some lungs on them.

You stepped outside only to be immediately forced backwards by the crowd. They all had their phones out, flashes going off in all directions. You tried not to laugh when you noticed some of them trying to angle their selfie sticks to get a better picture – it was as though they had picked up a ladder and were swinging it around sideways, knocking people in the head as they went.

Straining your neck, you saw a mess of blonde hair moving amongst the crowd of browns and blacks.  A male voice rang out, the crowd quietened before bursting into sound once more. It repeated again, sounding increasingly desperate with every utterance. Then the blonde hair disappeared and it seemed like all those around it converged inwards – a pained cry came out of the middle of it. Right, that’s enough. First, the

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter