Sleepless Morning

Hired Babysitter

 

 

“So…”

“Yeah..”

“Thanks for this…”

“Don’t mention it…”

“This cereal is yummy!”

This part of the conversation does not even need to say who is saying what. As the two adults are busy being awkward with each other, the kid is oblivious to what was happening.

“Mansae-ah, finish your food quickly, we all still have to sleep.” Myungsoo tried to lift up the kid.

“But mommy always told me not to eat fast, or my tummy would hurt.” Mansae continued on eating, counting 30 chews before swallowing.

“He does have a point, oppa.” Krystal was amused with the toddler. “While waiting for him, would you like some coffee or something?” Krystal was already taking a cup for herself. “I’m making myself one.”

“If it’s not a bother. Thank you Soojung-ah.” Myungsoo knew he would need that coffee. The kid would enter his hyperactive self after the sugar he is intaking.

Krystal brought out another cup. She was almost embarrassed with the things she had around her house. Although the interior design is very chic and modern having white and grey dominate the room, her other items are usually full of cute animals. Like the cups she has, they are shaped in different animals. The dog one is for her, the cat for Myungsoo. Being awake at 3 in the morning made her face thick enough not to bother.

After receiving the cup, Myungsoo let out a chuckle. “I would have never guessed that the smart and chic woman that the world sees would have animal cups. And husky slippers too.” Krystal reddened at that, she was already shaking her head, “ No! It’s not like that!” Myungsoo only laughed more at her response. “Don’t worry Soojung-ah, it’s cute and it matches you.” The only reaction that could be seen outside if Krystal’s face would be furious shaking of her head. But on the inside somewhere along the lines of “he just said that I match the cups, he said the cups were cute, therefore he thinks I’m cute.” Somewhere along there.

“Pretty noona, do you also have a teddy bear cup for me?” As Mansae was slurping the last drops of milk on his bowl, he saw the cups they were holding. This grabbed the adults attention.

“Teddy bear?”

“Yup! Can I drink more milk, pretty noona?”

“Sure, I’ll try to find the bear cup I have.” Krystal moved to the cupboards in search for the bear cup that her sister gave her as a souvenir. She knows she has one but never really used it before. She saw it, but it’s at the top shelf. Although she is quite tall for her age, it’s still too high. As she was trying to reach out for it, a longer arm stretched to wrap his hands around the cup and bringing it to her.

“Do you have, like the complete set of animals here in your house?” Myungsoo was definitely teasing her. He wants to break the ice and that was the only way to do it.

“Actually, I don’t have a giraffe one. I’ve been trying to find one.”

As Mansae accepted the mug of milk from Krystal, he joined the conversation, “Hyung has one!” Krystal focused her eyes on Myungsoo. “And you were making fun of my collection. It seems that you’re weird as well.”

It was Myungsoo’s turn to redden and awkwardly scratch his nape. “I never said it was weird. And you have tons of it. The giraffe one is the only one I have.”

Mansae tried to make himself known again, “Hyung’s is the one when you pull the neck of the giraffe it becomes a straw!” He does not let me use it. He’s mean. Not like you pretty noona. You let me use your teddy bear cup.” Mansae hugged Krystal again.

“Yah! I don’t let you use it because you would break it. Soojung-ah, take it away from him while it’s still one piece.”

“But hyung, I’m not finished yet! Pretty Noona, can I have one more bowl of cereal?” Mansae looked at Krystal with his puppy dog eyes. Myungsoo could see the softening of Krystal’s face and the smile forming. He has to make his move now. Myungsoo covered Mansae’s eyes and lifted him up from the chair.

“You had your cereal. Now, let Pretty Noona go to sleep. And hyung too, okay?” Mansae was squirming in Myungsoo’s grip. “Hyung! Hyung! Pretty Noona help me!”

“Don’t mind him, Soojung-ah. Thank you for this kid’s cereal and sorry again for bothering you.” Krystal could only nod and stutter out an “It’s okay.” to Myungsoo. There he goes again saying Pretty Noona. Before they fully entered the elevator, Myungsoo let down Mansae, “Mansae, what do we say when other people give something to us?” As is enlightened about the hint, Mansae quickly looked at Krystal, “Thank you Pretty Noona for the cereal! And also for the teddy bear cup. Can I use it again?” Before Mansae could use his puppy dog eyes again, Myungsoo already covered his eyes. Krystal was all smiles as she said, “Anytime, Mansae-ah” She escorted them to the elevator and with one last bow to Myungsoo, the elevator closed with Myungsoo’s smile.

As Krystal cleaned up the dishes, all she could think about were the times while she did the drama with Myungsoo. They were friends who called up each other and texted each other, but it seems that it only lasted during the filming of the drama. Well, she did get awfully busy at that time, and Myungsoo was also promoting their song. Times when she could just come up to him and talk while walking are memories that she treasured.

“Maybe this whole scene could have been less awkward if we did not lose contact… I should probably had talked to him more… What do you think neko-chan?” She lifted the cat cup in her eye level. Admittedly, the reason she bought this cup in Japan was because she was thinking of Christmas gifts for the people she knew. And as mentioned before, work made it hard to reach him.

“Oh well, this day would definitely go in my diary. These once in a lifetime scenes.”  She went straight to bed, not getting out of the clothes she was wearing. 3:45 AM. “Just how long did that kid eat?” And with that, she closed her eyes.

Little did she know that this was definitely not a once in a lifetime scene. The others are coming.