catch me (myungjin)

dancing on the moon

myungjun really can't take horror movies but at least jinwoo can take myungjun's hand

------

Let’s get things straight. Myungjun wasn’t a loner, actually he liked to spend time with his friends. But it wasn’t always as easy as it seemed. Not when most of them had their significant others and when he proposed to meet up at the cinema, all of them asked if their second halfs could go too. It’s not like he was jealous, he was happy for them but not exactly happy for third wheeling. That’s why movie night, he decided, would count as the time for himself. He will go to the cinema to see the production everyone in his Voice Technique classes was talking about. It was supposed to be really good arrangement-wise so he decided to give it a shot.

Buying a ticket and something to drink went quite fast, so few minutes after entering the cinema he was sitting in his seat. Myngjun didn’t even read anything about the movie, not even a short description. That’s why he wasn’t really prepared for anything, calmly sipping onto his drink. At first, the commercials were simply like the TV ones, informing everyone about some products or sales. But when the trailers began, Myungjun wondered for a while. There were a lot of teasers for horror movies, but he thought to himself it didn’t have to mean the production he will be watching is also scary.

The movie began and it wasn’t all that bad. There were a lot of people at the theater and besides some little noises of chewing the popcorn or sipping the drink, it was really quiet. Myungjun thought the music was really good, just as his fellow classmates said. He was really feeling one of the songs, when it all began. The atmosphere was quite heave and mystic. He wasn’t sure what to feel but all he could do was be scared after some guy on the screen jumped out of the closet. Myungjun flinched but surprisingly didn’t scream. There were some gasps coming from other people but the scene wasn’t that scary for them to shout in frighten.

Myungjun looked around to see the guy on the left munch his popcorn like there was no tomorrow. He was watching the movie with a bored expression, lights from the screen reflecting onto his quite a handsome face. The said man reached for another handful of popcorn and some of it didn’t make it into his mouth, making Myungjun giggle at his cuteness. The guy probably noticed it and snapped his head to look at Myungjun who tried to look as innocent as possible, eyes glued back to screen.

He didn’t want to admit it, but it was a fact he was really scared. Myungjun never really liked horror movies because they creeped him out and whenever his friends wanted to watch one, he refused. But now that he was in the cinema, sitting between all those people, he didn’t really have a way out. That’s why he tried to stay as calm as possible. It was hard, but for at least half a movie he managed to somehow survive. Nevertheless, as the plot was progressing, it got scarier and Myungjun was having a hard time to keep all of his fears inside of his mind. That’s why when there was another jump scare, everyone at the cinema screamed, along with Myungjun, whose hand somehow landed on the hand of a stranger that was sitting just beside him. At first, he didn’t notice it but when he felt the man squeezing his palm with, what he could say, concern, he almost screamed again.

“I am so sorry!” Myungjun said, releasing his had from the grip, a furious blush on his face. He was thanking heavens it was dark at the theatre, so he the stranger couldn’t see his flustered and red face. “It was an accident, I swear!” There was embarrassment in Myungjun’s eyes. He wasn’t sure how to apologize for taking someone’s hand in his without the other’s side permission.

The guy that was sitting beside Myungjun smiled warmly and shook his head. “No problem, you can hold onto my hand anytime you want.” He giggled and smiled one more time after turning his head back to the screen, leaving a confused Myungjun still staring at him.

First of all, it was smooth. Myungjun had to admit it, even though he didn’t want to. But the most important thing was what did that man meant. Myungjun wasn’t some kind of creep to take other people’s hands but it just happened in the spur of a moment. He couldn’t do anything about it. He decided to set it all aside and focus on the movie again. He wanted it to end as soon as possible, just so he can come back home and curl into his bed with sheets around him. That’s how scared and embarrassed he was. Life (and the movie producers) decided to play a trick on him again and make Myungjun scream in despair when some ghost appeared out of nowhere. He was done with the movie, scared to death and gripping the stranger’s hand again. This was unbelievable, he seriously didn’t know what to do.

“Oh my god, I am so sorry,” he whispered, not wanting other people to hear him. The other man looked surprised but there was also a hint of amusement in his eyes.

A laugh escaped the stranger’s lips, eyes turning into two crescents. Myungjun’s heart thought it’s cute but his brain was still focused on the embarrassment filling his whole body. “Are you really that scared?” the handsome guy asked and Myungjun dropped his head.

“I don’t really like horror movies.” It wasn’t an explanation for taking strangers’ hands but that’s all he could say. Also, he wasn’t really sure how to say the other he didn’t know it’s a horror movie beforehand. Because he would probably think it’s dumb of him for not reading the movie description.

Surprisingly, the man patted his hand with sympathetic expression and sent him a really charming smile. “I will hand onto your hand until the end, okay? So you won’t get scared.” He offered it with such a calm voice, Myungjun felt like he was dreaming. Did some stranger just proposed to hold his hand for the whole movie? At first, he thought it’s a joke but the offer seemed so serious, he couldn’t do nothing but nod and turn his gaze back to screen, so the handsome man won’t see his flustered face. He didn’t hear a giggle coming from the other but he definitely felt the squeeze on his already sweaty palm.

Myungjun didn’t even notice when the movie ended, his mind preoccupied with the thoughts of probably the most handsome guy he has ever seen, holding his hand. Everyone at the cinema started gathering their things, making Myungjun flinch in realization. He let go of the other’s hand and bowed to him quickly. “I’m—I’m so sorry! Thank you for dealing with my troubling self! This—This won’t happen in the future.” His breath was really shaky and he kept stuttering. Myungjun was so embarrassed, he felt like passing out.

“My name is Jinwoo,” the stranger blurted out all of sudden. Myungjun looked at him with abashment, noticing a slight blush on his face. He wasn’t sure whether he should introduce himself too, that’s why he kept quiet. He just wanted to get out of there as fast as possible. But what he didn’t expect was the stranger—no, Jinwoo, smile at him wholeheartedly. “So it means there is some future? Will we meet again?” he asked, throwing Myungjun off.

“Wha—What?”

“I’m looking forward to meeting you again—“ he started, looking at him expectantly.

“Myungjun?” He wasn’t sure if that’s what Jinwoo wanted to hear.

“Yes, I’m looking forward to meeting you again, Myungjun-ssi.” His smile was so warm, Myungjun felt like he could melt here and there. He looked around, almost everyone was out of the theatre, only they were standing in the middle of it, some worker looking at them with confusion.

“Again?”

“That’s right, could you give me your number? Maybe we could go out to eat dinner sometime or see a movie? It won’t be a horror this time.” He laughed out loud while saying the last sentence, making Myungjun flush. He couldn’t believe he just got asked out by a handsome stranger, whose hand he hold onto without even properly introducing himself.

“Su—Sure.”

-------

send me prompts on my tumblr @coupd or curiouscat @eunking