Tiga

Broken

Moon Byulyi

 

It’s Friday and we got a day off as a reward for the championship title we clinched 2 days back. And while every other student probably had went back home to be with their family, here I am with all these volleyball enthusiasts who seem to not know what the term ‘family’ even means. Well in my case, I don’t have one. But seriously, these kids just can’t ing stop. It’s 10 in the morning and they’re already wanted to train again. I was actually the last one got here because to be ing honest, I’m still sleepy.

I put down my training bag, sit on the bench and proceeded to take out all my training gear.

“Yo Moon! You’re late.” Amber greeted from inside the court. She looked like she has been here for a while; I can see she’s already sweating.

“It’s a ing Friday morning. Why the hell did I ever want to get off my bed? How long have you been here bro?” My question was left unanswered as she focused on tossing balls for Krystal, Bora, Seulgi, and Yezi who were waiting in line.

“Most of us have been here for 30 minutes now. Amber’s here since 9. Cap went back home. Juniors will come after lunch. Go do 15 laps, Moon.” Seulgi answered on behalf of Amber right after she landed a spike right at the corner of the court.

“So bossy today, aren’t you?” I smirked and went to adjust the position both of my knee guards. I left the bench right after, following anyway what Seulgi told me to do. I need to wear off my sleepiness and doing 15 laps around this hall would help. I started my jog with small and slow pace as how it should be. But soon enough, this lonely jog starting to bring all sorts of things into my mind. Specifically today, it’s her. That kid with a dimple on her right cheek. That girl who looks like your typical school girl but you found her reading a book and listening to music on top of a ing tree. A small girl who I wish I get to embrace in my arms every day. I’d admit, planting a kiss on her cheek at the first meet-up was a little bit over the line but I don’t regret it. , I saw and talked to her just once but she’s already invading my mind ever since. This isn’t me. I refuse to believe that I’m actually falling for her. I must be out of my right mind. This has never happened before. I never got attracted to those girls who confessed to like and admire me. Let alone, trying to go after one who doesn’t even interested. But now, I am feeling a very strong urge to go after this soft midget and it’s driving me insane. I shook my head vigorously and focusing back on my jog. I increased my pace but wait…how many laps have I done? , I got distracted because of a girl. Good Lord, I humbly ask You to let my mind off this midget for a minute, please.

“Wild shot!” I can barely make what the yell was about when my head was suddenly hit by a ball, strong and hard and I fell to the ground.

, where am I…

Damn, my prayer got answered in a flash has it not?

A loud roar of laughs filled in the gym hall. I must have looked ridiculously funny when falling and soon after I felt a pat on my shoulder.

“What the were you thinking so hard you didn’t even realize a ball coming straight at you?” Seulgi asked before resuming her laugh seeing a disoriented me on the floor. Bora was already dead laughing her off on the floor.

Next pat landed at the back of my head. I raised my head and met the face of Yezi. She’s been holding her laugh I’d assume. Her face was so red. “I’m sorry. Are you okay, buddy?”

“Urgh for godsake Yezi, control the placing of your spikes, will you? Did you forget already how you almost cracked open someone’s head in the audience last year?” I tried to blink my confusion away but my vision was still a bit blurry.

“You just had to bring that one back huh Moon? Where’s the fair play?” Yezi grunted in disbelief.

“Think you won’t mind about that fair play from this daydreamer anymore, Yezi. I’m seeing blood on her forehead.” Amber who has been towering over beside me said. And slowly, laughs subsided and worry written all over their faces.

“Jeez Yezi, what kind of spin did you put for her forehead to be grazed like this?” Krystal moved my bangs aside to examine the scratch. I winced in pain when her fingers accidentally touched it.

“I’ll go get the first aid kit.” Yezi said before walking away.

“Damn, am I really bleeding?”

“Seriously, what the hell were you daydreaming about? With your incredible reflex, that shouldn’t have hit your head.” Seulgi’s face wrote several different emotions. A little bit of worry, a bit of irritation since this practically disturbing her training, but I’m also seeing a bit of curiosity. I didn’t even realize she was waiting for an answer.

Yezi came back with the first aid box in her hand. “You guys can continue, I’ll patch this loser up.” Seulgi said to the rest. And one by one they went, resuming their practice.

“I’m sorry okay, buddy?” Yezi with an apologetic tone and expression said. She offered a hand for a bro handshake and I gladly accepted it.

“Nahh, it’s all cool bro.” Yezi then joined the rest of our team in the court, leaving me and Seulgi who’s now putting pressure on my wound.

“Don’t give me a cold shoulder, mate.”

“What?”

“You’re daydreaming. Was it Jung Wheein?” Seulgi deadpanned. Probably getting frustrated her questions have been left hanging without answers since earlier. I lifted my gaze into nothing to her face that’s now clearly was about to burst into laugh. So she did. I can’t hide anything from this .

“You whipped motherer. Just admit it, Moon. You’re falling for her. Though I can’t even understand how. You saw her once. One ing time.”

“I can’t understand it either, Seul.”

“Did you return her student card?” Seulgi asked while dabbing my wound lightly with an adhesive cloth.

“Nope. Too afraid to go to her.”

“She’s a model student, Moon. A bookworm. She can’t get in to the library without it. Plus, it’s your fault she didn’t realize she left it there at the first place. You kissed her out of the blue.” Seulgi said while finishing up dressing my wound.

“Partly.”

“Partly?”

“Partly, it’s still her fault. Who asked her to look so beautiful like that.” I can’t believe I just said that. I immediately regret it once I saw Seulgi laughing her off right on my face.

“You’re so whipped and yet you’re still lying to yourself that you’re not attracted to her. Unbelievable.”

“She heard our conversation on the phone. About me, you, my mom.”

“So?”

“She knows my weak spot. I can’t go see her. Can you give it to her for me?”

“. What are you so wary about? Yes she did hear us on the phone. Did she say anything about your mom that night tho? No, right? She didn’t even say anything about her being the one you stared straight to her soul.” Seulgi said with a considerable amount of frustration. Seulgi’s elaborate pep talk isn’t that hard to be understood. She doesn’t beat around the bush. We’re quite similar in that department except I have issues while she has none. She tidied my bangs and packed the first aid box and sealed it closed before settling her gaze back at me.

“The only thing she mentioned was your description about my . More reason for me to not be the one giving back her student card.” We both laughed before she continued, “It’s not a rocket science. Just be a gentlewoman and give it back to her. You don’t have to say anything else. But Moon, from what I saw, you’re already falling for her. So really, it’s your choice whether you’re going to let this burn or try to take it forward.” A genuine smile decorated on Seulgi’s face before she stood up and offered her hand to help me stand up. “Come on up now, the hit on the head was nothing. You’re just lovesick.”

“Shut up.” I said while picking up a ball and throw violently at her body. We laughed when she acted like being hurt and went to the ground, obviously making fun of the way I fell just now. I’m going to kill this kid one of these days.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

***

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Jung Wheein

 

It’s the start of a 3-day off for all of us in this school. With a very happy belly, I was rummaging all sorts of things in all different places, packing to spend a several hours in the library. Appearance wise I look like a homeless person who looked like could use a night at the spa and a fortnight of sleep. A bundle of homework left throughout of last week made me wonder how on earth would all my classmates done it all while bearing duties as a daughter/son at home on their shoulders. I was barely surviving yesterday keeping things in check. Though really, the reason behind the struggle of me to get some beauty sleep got nothing to do with all those assignments, surely that’s just some made-up excuses my brain trying to convince myself. I sighed a heavy breath now that I realized, I’m back to thinking of that silver-haired girl again. And really Jung Wheein, after what she did you’re supposed to be angry with her but why don’t you? I’ve been asking the exact same question over and over again since it happened and I still got no clue on why. Did I actually liked it? But how? Why? I barely know her. Just as much as she is of me. We’re literally strangers. Strangers don’t do holding hands, a kiss on the cheek? Even more so. I could feel my face heating up at the thought of the incident. I sighed again before putting my pencil case in the bag.

After confirming every single thing I’ve been meaning to bring along were already in the bag, I grabbed my sweater off its hangar. The library could be extremely cold at times and I won’t get to concentrate without this sweater. A barge through the room’s door startled me and the same expression flashed across the face of the one who did that.

“Oh come on! We just finished lunch and you’re going out to study? We’ve promised to go out this evening.” Hyejin flailed her hand before settled it on her waist.

“I never promised you that. It’s between you, Yongsun unnie and Joohyun unnie. And yeah, where’s Yongsun unnie?” I moved my gaze off her to the open door in anticipation of the said person to appear. In seconds, Yongsun appeared looking amazing from head to toe. They’re clearly getting ready to go out.

“Yah Wheein-ah… what’s with the bag? We’re going out to have fun. This isn’t an academic trip. And why do you want my student card?” Yongsun said while letting herself out of her sneakers and then walked towards us.

“This nerd here isn’t coming with us, unnie. Please talk some sense to this kid. It’s Friday and she wants to study. Can we just cut her in pieces and shove those parts in all of our jeans’ pockets? Expression filled with irritation was apparent when she said that and I did feel an ounce of guilt.

“Oh why? Is it about that Bio project of yours? Isn’t it due in next 2 weeks?” Yongsun asked while giving her student card to my hand. “And why would you want my card? Where’s yours?”

“I think I misplaced it somewhere. I can’t remember where. I want to go to the science library so since you’re not using it, can I borrow it for today?” I put the card in my back pocket. I picked up my bag and sling it across my chest. Picking my sweater, I glanced back at Hyejin who’s still clearly devastated with me spoiling her plan for us all to have a girls’ day out.

I stepped forward and gave her a hug. “I’m sorry Hyejin-ah. I need to refer several resources at the library for that project. I lost my student card. There’ll be extra librarians guarding every weekend so it’ll be harder for me to sneak in. So, today is all I got. Please, I’m sorry?” Judging the fallen expression of my best friend, I knew she can’t be mad for long.

Looking back at Yongsun, “The project needs to be presented next week. That’s why I’m a bit in a rush right now. Losing my student card doesn’t helping either. And I’m going to need your help about the presentation format, perhaps tomorrow?”

“Sure thing Wheein-ah. And gosh, find that card or just go make a new one. You’re using it a lot. And I use mine just as much as well. You can’t borrow mine forever.”

“I’m too lazy to go through all the process to make a new one. I’ll just try to find it first, I guess.” I walked to the door and grab my pair of sneakers. Putting it on, Hyejin said from behind me, “How did you lost it though, that’s so unlike you. When was the last time you saw it? Perhaps you can start searching from there.”

“That’s the thing. I can’t remember where and when. I don’t know.”

“You’re a bit off these 2 days I noticed. What happened?” Yongsun handed me a bottle of mineral water.

“I…don’t even know.” Obviously that’s a lie. I didn’t tell them what happened, and I have no intention of mentioning it ever. It’s too embarrassing. Not just the incident itself, but the fact that deep down, I actually liked it.

“Thanks, unnie. I’ll be going now. Just pray that I don’t get caught. And you guys have fun okay?”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

***

 

It was cold. Blood-freezing cold would be a more accurate description. Not a lot of students inside this library today. Only a handful of students I’m seeing nearby; a few of overachieving students and a couple sitting face to face whom with one look, you’ll know they’re not actually studying. All of other students would probably were spending some quality time with their families but here I am, about to turn into an ice statue. Less people equal colder temperature. Hypothesis accepted. Books, papers, and various sorts of stationeries scattered all over this large table that I got for me and myself only. My hands were freezing, I couldn’t feel my fingers and I wouldn’t even want to lift them off my thighs. Not even the sweater I put on my lap could save me from this coldness. Even the seat I was sitting on felt distractingly cold, so I got up. I walked between the shelves, without actually looking for any specific book. I was trying to keep myself warm. Its’ like having a tour inside the library, until I forgot there’s a book on my table that I wasn’t really in need of. I walked back to my table, retrieved the book and went to the shelves that book I got in my hand was originally placed at. I was like a person without direction and purpose. But believe me, this is the only way to prevent myself from getting frozen. The thick carpet I was walking on; it feels comfy and they’re warm. I love walking barefooted on this.

I arrived at the Biology section and immediately return the book I got in my hand to its original place. My head snapped up when I saw a book that I figured would be resourceful to help with my project but oh my god, why must it’s located at the top row of the shelves? I began searching for a ladder nearby for me to get that book but to no avail. I tried my best to tiptoe myself as high as I can to reach for the book but to no avail. I was getting frustrated, I didn’t even one bit care about one of the books beside the one that I was aiming for fell to the ground. “From the Origin of Life to Epigenetics”, you are making fun of my cute height aren’t you?

Out of nowhere, a soft hand palming my hand from behind sent a jolt of electricity to all parts of my body. Surprised at the sudden touch, I turned around rather abruptly. Consequently, I lost my balance and almost fall but a gentle hand around my waist, balancing me; got me back on my feet. I lifted my head and my eyes landed on a very lean and taller figure, so close in front of me. She wasn’t even looking at me, one arm still on my waist and the other one lifted high above me, putting back the book that I’ve ignored falling to the ground. My heart thumped ridiculously wild when I finally realized whom this person that’s basically got me pinned between the shelves and herself. She wore a stripe pullover along with a black-fitted jeans. It was simple but she looked incredibly good in them. The pullover that she wore exposed her collarbone and I found it hard not to look at it. At her neck, her jaw, her lips. When my gaze settled on her eyes, I realized they were looking at me as well. She flashed a playful smirk;

“I caught you staring.” Heat raised and spread across every inch of my skin and I swear I was no longer feeling cold. And instead of backing off after hearing those words, I was actually staring straight in to her eyes. There was nothing playful in the tone she used when she said those words. It felt sincere and I sensed a pride too. Like she finally got what she wanted. It felt like she has been waiting the day that she finally get to say those words to me. The look in her eyes felt like she just accomplished something she really desired.

“So tell me, this…staring game between the both of us, should I stop it or let it keep going? Because if you ask me, I’d say I don’t mind even one bit about it. I really like that pair of brown eyes on me.” Her deep voice sent chills down my spine and I was barely breathing. Why does it so easy for me to be affected by this girl? We’re so close, one move and our bodies will touch, but really she wasn’t exactly blocking me. I could just walk away from this if I wanted to but my feet were rooted still to the spot.

“See anything that you like?” Her deep voice resurfaced right after I heard her low growl and I totally forgot the fact that I was almost an ice statue minutes ago. It’s getting hot in here. And the way she eyed herself from top to bottom hit me that that’s actually a serious question.

Feeling embarrassed, I cleared my throat, “What are you doing here? How did you get in? This is a Science Library.” Obviously avoiding her question. And the question she asked before that.

“You’re not the only one who got bunch of tricks on your sleeves, beautiful. And I was looking for you.”

“Me? Why?”

She reached into her pocket to get a student ID card out and handed it to me. I accepted it with my eyes wide after realizing that the card got my name and face on it. I’ve been looking for it in all the wrong places. No wonder she can easily sneak in here.

She continued, “Why didn’t you tell me who you are that night?” Even her straight expression looked soft to me and I felt like she’s really sad about the fact I didn’t come clean about who I am when we first met up.

“I just don’t think that it would matters much. Why? Would you have reacted differently if I did?” I asked as if her question pricked at something deep inside me. It was never my intention but I can’t help but to think that if she knew who I was that night, would she not have talked to me? Would she might just cut the conversation short and left? Would the kiss never happened? It’s a shameless thought considering we’re nobody towards each other and to be worrying and thinking about all those IFs felt somewhat uncanny.

Her lips crooked into a smile, “Whatever that you’re thinking, stop. What I did was selfish and I admit I went overboard. And I’m not sure if you would appreciate it, but I’ll be honest. I don’t regret it, I love it and I would do it again if you would give me the privilege to do so again.”

She didn’t even have to say aloud what she meant about because I understood perfectly the subject that we’re on. I was sure my face was getting redder each second after those word escaped her lips.

“But yes, I’m really sorry. That was rude of me. ”

“Accepted. What else?” I deadpanned.

“You expected to hear more from me.” A genuine amusement flashed on her face.

“Well, I’d assume by now you didn’t come looking for me just to give this thing back to me. I reckon you must have had one or two to say.”

“Yes. To convey my gratitude as well.”

“For what?”

“For not saying a word about my mom that night.”

Oh. That.

“I know you heard and understood what has actually happened back then during the game. Yet, you decided to keep mum about it. You could’ve told me.”

“I could. But that conversation on the phone had pretty much explained everything I needed to know. So I didn’t. I don’t see any reason I should be thanked for.”

“Yeah. But still,” --- she breathed in deeply before continuing--- “I was so close to breaking down with the thought of her that night, so thank you for not bringing it up.” The way she said every word, her broken expression, and voice getting hoarse probably choking her own emotions were more than enough to tell me how long and painful she’s been bearing it on her shoulders. She’s evidently wounded.

“You’re the one bringing that up now.” My voice mirrored exactly as hers. Guilt starting to twist my stomach. For making her feel as if she needs to thank me for this.

“I guess I did.” Her laugh still thick with sadness, it almost heard like a humorless laugh.

“If it’s going to make you feel any better, I can make a promise. I promise I won’t tell a soul about it.”

“Really?”

I nodded before I saw a small plaster on her forehead. Her bangs hide it so well I only realized it now. Instinctively, I brought up my left hand and brushed away her bangs to the side to have a better look. “Did you get hurt? This looks new.”

I patted lightly when I saw the one end of the plaster kind of peeled off a bit. I tidied up her bangs next and unconsciously smiled, feeling giddy at the thought of how nice I think of her hair in my touch. My breath hitched when her hand suddenly grabbed my hand on her forehead, bringing and guiding it to palm her cheek. My palm felt warm in an instant at the contact. And the way she’s looking at me was intense and soft at the same time, I couldn’t even understand how.

“Please allow me to get to know you. All of you.” Her deep voice seemed to vibrate through our contact and straight to the butterflies in my stomach, making them dance in a frantic motion. I was getting harder to breathe at our close proximity and I was kind of grateful when she finally let go of my hand.

“Give me your phone.” I managed to say after successfully regaining my normal breathing. And she doesn’t even one bit hesitated to bring it out and handed it to me. I saved my number in her contact and I swear she’s been smiling ever since.

“Thank you. You’re so beautiful” She said while putting it back in her back pocket while eyes never leaving my face.

“Your eyes need a checkup. I look like a homeless person and what you just said made zero sense.”

“Homeless? Even better. That means I get to bring you home one day.” She said before slowly leaning and walked away. Leaving me with my mouth agape, completely in awe at her words. What have I got myself into?

 

 

 

 


 

 

A/N :

 

Hi there dear readers! I've been reaaaalllyy busy so I hope you can understand the long gap I'm taking these days to update this fic. To new readers and subscribers, thank you and welcome! You all are not left unnoticed I can tell you that. ;p

As always, please do tell me what do you think with this update, opinions, questions, suggestions, basically anything. I'd love to hear them all. Have a good weekend tho I know, you'd probably be mamamoo deprieved just as much as I am right now. xp

Till next chapter, Annyeong!