Chapter 2

Succumbed

Author's Opening Notes:

What are you guys doing reading this crap? Better read JeonJaeng's fic instead :))))) 

 

***

At around 9 AM on a Sunday morning, the Olympic Park already had several of its benches occupied with people plugging their ears with earphones, some with book within the confinement of their hands, some playing around with their smart phones, enjoying their moment of solitude while a few runners and joggers can be seen milling around the running track.  

The sun was bright – hot and sunny – yet not overbearingly so, there was still the occasional breeze that as usual accompany the spring weather.

Wheein beamed at the shorter woman, sheen of sweat glistened on her forehead as she ran backward to face the older woman and cheered her on. Her high ponytail moved along left and right with each step that she took.

"Come on, Shin young unnie. You can do it! Just one more lap."

"Wheein-ah, I can’t. I...." the short haired woman stopped – both of her hands went on her knees as she leaned forward to catch her breath – beads of sweats running down her face, already grew red from heat and tiredness.

"But we just ran for 3 Km, unnie. Your goal is to run 5 Km a day. You can do it!! It’s good for your health."

"Oh no... no... no... I don’t think I could walk for another 2 Km, let alone run. Have mercy on me, kiddo. Can’t we just stop and have breakfast instead? I already run for 3 Km, that’s something right? I need something sweet now. I know a good place where we could grab some brunch. You would like the place, they sell bread with ice cream topping too, and cakes and fruit tarts. I think I could eat up 12 of them really. I mean, I already exercise, that should count for something right?"

Yes, normally it would count for something, however....

Gentle wind long blond curls, loosening a few errant wisps from its ponytail confinement. The air that the wind brought forward smelled acidic somehow and she couldn’t shake off the burdening feeling that kept gnawing on the pit of her stomach since morning.

She looked around, searching for anything amiss when her eyes trailed over to the yellow-ish slimy glob-like demon – standing just a couple of meters away from them, its beady eyes trained toward the older woman in front of her, its tiny rows of sharp teeth bared into a wide grin – the demon had its sight on the human – waiting and bidding its time before it would latch on.

Sloth.

Wheein felt as if a draught of icy water invaded her vein in a rush. She didn’t see when or how the demon got so close. She was supposed to feel them when they were near, know when they were around, anticipated their movement and yet....

She was about to open to ask the human to move away when she felt it.

The overwhelming electricity that suddenly blanketed her.  

Goose bumps literally covered her body in a matter of second as the ghost of her memory resurfaced. Her body remembered the burning embrace. The heat of the demon’s touch on her skin, her hair, her lips. The of power that invaded her mind and plundered her memories. She instinctively pulled at her grace, shielding herself as she sought after the source of such power – praying that she was wrong.

She wasn’t.

Jogging toward them was the silver-haired beauty.

A smirk already formed on her face as her gaze slid over the Angel from head to toe before fixing itself on Wheein’s lips with a predatory gleam in her eyes.

Wheein shuddered – things just got from bad to doom – and her instinct was screaming at her to flee yet she was rooted to her spot until the Archdemon stopped just a couple of steps away from her.

“What are you doing here?” she asked, slightly proud that she still could contained the tremor from showing on her voice.

“Jogging.” Byul gestured toward herself, showing off the white tanks and black running shorts and the running shoes she was sporting as if it wasn’t so obvious.

“Here?”

Byul chuckled, “Why not?”

“Of all the place in Seoul, this park just happened to be the place where you choose to jog, really?” crossing her arms in front of her chest, Wheein tilted her head and looked at the she-demon, distrust shinning from her eyes.

“Is there a marking somewhere that said that I can’t jog here?” Byul looked around the park, looking for a non-existent signage before grinning at the increasingly pissed off Angel.

“Why you......”

“Yes?”

Wheein narrowed her eyes at the Archdemon, all she could think about right now is her fist connecting with that smug grin of hers. Hard.

“Fine. Jog then, run, what are you doing standing here then. Go.” Wheein smiled sweetly and gestured toward the vast empty spaces behind her, willing the she-demon to just go away and leave them alone.

“Ah, I don’t know, it’s getting kind of hot right now and I really like the view in front of me, what’s that human saying again? Stop and enjoy the view?”

“Uh.... it’s stop and enjoys the smell of flower actually.” The mesmerized human interrupted the intense glaring that Wheein gave the demon, a silly grin formed on her face as she gazed upon Byul with utter awe.

Byul grinned and nodded her head, “Ah right, we all should take a time out and enjoy the beauty....” she gave the angel a wink before continuing, “.... of life.”

Groaning under her breath, Wheein gave the smug looking demon a glare before grabbing the confused human by the arm, “Never mind! Just stay far away from us! Come on, unnie, let’s go and get that breakfast.”

 

The Archdemon’s bell-like laughter bloomed and she waved back when the human – although being dragged away by the Angel – managed to turned back, waved her free hand wildly and yelled out, “Nice to meet you pretty lady!!! ”

The smile stayed on her lips as she watched them rapidly increase the distance between them and the smile went away in an instance as she turned around.

“Fi ara.” – Show yourself.

Winds blew hard, howling and creating mini tornado across the park, lifting Byul’s hair like a silver veil around her before a shadow slowly materializing in front of her eyes, forming a large man in all black armor, an archstar – an upside down red pentagram – adorned his plate, his rugged face looked bored as he eyed the surrounding human with disdain.

His expression changed as his gaze fell on the silver haired Archdemon, thumping one big fist over his non-existent heart, he slightly bowed, “My liege.”

“Asmosdeus” Her tone clear and her eyes cold as she regarded her once right hand General.

“The human plain didn’t change, it still reeks of sin and .... weakness.”

Byul quirked her eyebrow slightly, her pose relax as she allowed a ghost of a smile to tug at the corner of her lips, “I’m sure the Ruler of Hell didn’t simply honor me with his presence just to state the obvious.”

“You are the true Ruler....”

Byul silent him with a simple motion of her hand, “Don’t speak non-sense.”

Asmosdeus nodded, yet still spoke, “My apologies, My Liege.” Humor glistened in his eyes, knowing exactly that his insistence of calling her as his master would annoy the she-demon.

“There has been a lot more demon roaming around than usual, don’t you think?”  Byul watched as the General swept his eyes across the park, no doubt relishing in the knowledge that the spawn of hell littered the place, each already latching on its prey, with no guardian legions anywhere in sight.

“Was it your doing, General?”

Surprised colored his expression at her question and Byul cocked her head to the side – it was a genuine surprise – and it bothered her.

“Are you telling me that you release your calling without knowing?”

“What calling?”

The expression grew shrewd as the General regarded Byul with calculating eyes, “Much has happened in the Underworld since your departure, My liege. We grew stronger. Stronger than ever. There has been brewing restlessness, we no longer want to be shackle to feed just once a month, we want more. We need more.”

Byul didn’t flinch at the aggression in his voice, her face was still a mask of calmness, but she was worried. There has been peace and balance for Eons, granted the peace has been tenuous, but the balance was there. Asmosdeus knew better than to tip that balance, what changes?

“And then we all felt it. You have been silent, my liege. For millennia, you cloaked your power from us, severing your connection until we could barely felt you, but it all changes now. Your siren’s song, we all could hear it loud and clear. You ask why there has been more demon? They were answering your call!”

Fist thumped at his chest proudly, a maniacal glint shone from his eyes as he looked at Byul with a wide grin on his beaded face, “Your thirst for conquest was felt throughout the gates of Hell. You finally decided to conquer the earth and we are more than ready to go to war with you, to rule the earth and then Heaven!”

Byul swallowed. Hard. Taken aback by this brand-new information. Confusion rolled through her mind.

Something in her change? Has she been unknowingly calling more demon to the surface? But how? Or more importantly what change?

“When...  when was the first time you heard the calling?”

“Does it matter?”

Time is just a novel concept for someone who has lived through the first creation, but she needed to know, she needs to know what caused this.

“It does! Tell me.” Byul growled and startled the General as the earth beneath them shook by the force of her fury.

“It was a week ago.”

Byul blinked.

Without saying another word, she simply turned away and waived her hand, “gnal” – leave.

“By your command.”

She didn’t need to turn around to know for certain that the Lord of Hell has already gone. She didn’t care. Something else was weighing heavily in the forefront of her mind.

She now knew what causes the change.

A week ago she kissed an Angel.

 What she didn’t know is why kissing that Angel change anything?

 

***

 

“Oh it’s getting too hot to run... too hot my , she probably bathes in hell’s eternal fire!”

Wheein was still fuming from her latest encounter with the Archdemon that she almost missed the silhouette sitting in front of her apartment door.

“Wheein-ah.”

Wheein nearly jumped when the human spoke her name, an automatic smile grace her lips, returning the blinding smile that Yongsun gave her.

“Unnie, what are you doing here?”

Standing up, Yongsun proudly showed the angel the heavy plastic bag that she was holding, “Jjang!!  I bought meat.” Tucking her hair behind her ear, she smiled sheepishly, “and I haven’t seen you in a while, you stopped showing up at my work place a week ago and you seemed very busy that you haven’t really replied my messages, so I was worried that you got sick or something.”

“And I kind of miss you as well.” The light laughter that followed was awkward, but it was enough to make Wheein feel bad for neglecting this particular charge of hers.

The week that followed her first encounter with the Archdemon has been hellish – all pun intended – somehow the surrounding demons in the area gravitated toward her charges, as if following an invisible command. She was swamped, devastatingly so, trying her hardest to divide her attention and save as many strays as possible.

Grabbing Yongsun’s slightly clammy hand and sandwiched it between hers, Wheein caressed the back of Yongsun hand with her thumb. She smiled slightly as warmth enveloped her heart, Yongsun has one of the purest soul that she ever encountered in this human world, a soul worth fighting for, a soul that Wheein would die protecting.

“Thank you....” she whispered tenderly before beaming at the older woman, “Come on, let’s go inside and cook together.”

Yongsun shook her head quickly, small twin dimples showed themselves on either side of her chin, “No, no, I’m going to cook, you should just sit down, take a shower, relax, or do anything you want, but let me do the cooking for you.”

“But....” Wheein was about to protest, but a finger landed on her lips, shushing her and the determination that she saw shinning from Yongsun’s eyes was enough to convince her to shut .

“No but, let me do this for you. Cooking for you makes me happy, knowing that you would eat something healthy makes me happy. So let me do this, okay?”

Wheein released a resigned sigh and smiled, “Okay...”

And the blindingly beautiful smile that Yongsun gave her was answer enough for the Angel that she was making the right choice.

 

Wheein emerged from her bedroom – barefoot, hair still slightly wet from the shower – in a clean shirt and shorts. Yongsun was putting down the side dishes on the table when she looked up and smiled.

“The meat will be ready in a minute.”

“It smells really great....” Wheein rubbed her stomach as a way to show Yongsun that she was hungry before sitting down in one of the four chairs surrounding her dining table.

Scooping rice to the bowl before handing it to Wheein, Yongsun grinned, “Good, then you should eat loads.”

Checking on the grilled meat she left simmering on the hot plates, Yongsun happily put on them the serving plate and sat down beside Wheein, “Here you go.”

Attacking the food with enthusiasm, Wheein looked at Yongsun with her cheeks stuffed to the fullest, “This is really good!” she said with difficulty and ended up mumbling something closer to ‘Tis illy goo’ instead, but Yongsun doesn’t seem to mind.

Yongsun grinned, eyes soft as she looked upon the smaller girl that pulled at her heart ever since their first encounter in the retirement home. Being by Wheein’s side – seeing her like this makes her warm inside, as if a part of her soul was no longer missing – after a moment, she softly said, “Eat more.”

Neither spoke until the plates were nearly empty, leaning back against the chair Wheein sighed contentedly, “You are amazing. It was really really good.”

Yongsun blushed, “It’s nothing.” She said while quickly busying herself to clear the plates.

“Wait, unnie, let me do the dishes.”

“Just sit on the couch and relax, let me do this, if you want to help, you could take out the cake that I put on the fridge, I brought dessert as well.”

Wheein huffed, “Unnie, you don’t have to, it’s too much already.”

“I know, but I want to.” Yongsun winked and laughed when she saw the pout on Wheein’s face, “Now shoo, get the cake, I’ll join you soon enough.”

 

There was a comfortable silent as the two young woman eat their dessert, soft jazzy tune permeated the air from the playlist that Wheein put on.

Yongsun has been her charge for a little over four months now and it still bother Wheein that she still hasn’t figured it out what kind of demon that would latch on to her. Yongsun’s heart was too pure. She was so used to figure out which sin that her charge would fall for as soon as she met them, but not this one. Not Yongsun.

“Wheein-ah, are you going to volunteer again soon?”

“The retirement house?”

Yongsun nodded, “Yeah, are you volunteering in any place else?”

Under the guise of volunteering in the same place where Yongsun also volunteer to entertain the elders with her voice, Wheein managed to install herself into Yongsun’s life, and she was actually enjoy doing it, sadly.... she cursed the Archdemon again internally, she suspected that the increase in demon sighting have something to do with the she-demon, she just didn’t know what.

“Uh no... I’ve been kind of busy lately. Ah unnie, you haven’t told me the story on how you first work in bar though, remember that you once told me that you will tell me the story soon?” Wheein smiled and changed the subject, it would be hard for her to come up with excuses on why she’d been so busy lately, she can’t honestly say that she’s been busy saving human’s soul.

Yongsun’s expression grew solemn as a small sad smile grace her beautiful face, putting down her half finished cake, she leaned back against the cushion and sighed, “Ah that....”

“You don’t have to tell me if you don’t want to.”

“No... it’s not that, it’s just.... it was not one of my proudest moment.” Yongsun laughed sadly.

Wheein saw sadness in her usually warm eyes, brief, instantly replaced with something else. Acceptance maybe. Or a hard determination. She’s not sure, but Wheein knew there was pain beneath it.

“Uhm... I always love singing, even ever since I was a little kid. It was all that I ever wanted, to be able to sing in front of people, to entertain them, maybe giving them strength through songs. I want nothing else but to be given the chance to sing, so when the opportunity came, I grabbed it. I was a fool.”

Shifting on her seat to move closer toward Yongsun, she placed a warm hand on top of Yongsun’s hand, “What happened?”

Yongsun sigh was heavy with regret and painful remembrance, but she forced a smile on her lips as she locked her eyes with Wheein and calmness flooded over her as soon as their eyes met.

“I got casted off the street by someone who said that he was from a talent agency, so I left my hometown against my family’s warning and went to Seoul with him. Everything went well at first, he took me to the office and nothing felt wrong, there were training areas, recording booths, he also placed me in a small apartment to stay on my own. I signed the contract and trained with them for a month before he... uhm... he said that I might have to meet with some producers and higher up to smooth my way as a singer.”

Wheein gripped Yongsun’s hand, she didn’t like where the story was going but she remained quiet.

“I thought it was just some sort of a meeting, but I was wrong. They wanted something that I’m not willing to give, I might be a fool but I’m not that foolish. He said that it was written in the contract that I have to do anything that the agency told me to do, well... long story short, I refused, broke the contract and ended up with a mountain of a debt.”

For a moment no one said anything until Yongsun shrugged delicately, “I didn’t come from a wealthy family and although we’re not struggling financially, the debt... Anyway, I decided to just stay in Seoul and work to pay off the debt, but it was hard trying to find work anywhere when you didn’t even finished high school, so I do what I can to survive.”

Yongsun grinned shakily when she saw the concern in Wheein’s eyes, “It’s all in the past, Wheein-ah, I’ll be able to pay off my debt in another 3 years, so don’t look at me like that, okay? I’m fine.”

Yongsun suddenly sat bolt upright, “Omo! Look at the time, I have to get ready to work.”

Standing up, she smoothed down the light blue dress that she wore and fidgeted around for a moment before looking back at Wheein, who also already stood. Yongsun swallowed, she cannot help but think just how beautiful Wheein was standing there, looking at her with such concerned expression.

Restraining herself from embracing the younger woman, Yongsun rested her hand on Wheein’s arm instead and squeezed gently, “Don’t be a stranger, kay?”

The words stung and it was suddenly very important for Wheein to let Yongsun know that she’s important and that Wheein would do her damnest to always be there for her, “I won’t. I probably going to bother you from time to time and it would be hard for you to get rid of me.”

Yongsun laughed and shook her head, “I would never get tired of you. Stay, I’ll let myself out.”

She was about to walk toward the door when she suddenly halted and turned back, staring at Wheein with an unreadable expression, “Wheein-ah, remember when you told me that my stage name suit me?”

“Ah, yes, Solar. It really suits you, cause you always shine so bright like the sun.”

Yongsun took a step forward and cupped Wheein’s cheek affectionately, “Yes, but for me, no one shine brighter than you.”

Soft lips landed on Wheein’s cheek and lingered there, there was a slight tremor dancing through Yongsun’s body as she kissed Wheein’s cheek. She could smell her, fresh from the shower and something else, something heavenly that made her senses went overload. Yongsun wanted to wrap her arms around the lithe body and just lost herself in Wheein’s embrace, if she let her.

Raising her lips from the softness of Wheein’s cheek, a task that she wished she didn’t have to do, Yongsun gave Wheein a shaky smile and pivoted on her heels. She needed to get out fast, before she did something more that she might regret.

Wheein was stunned, hand reached out to touch the warmth that still lingered on her cheek, she could only watched as the door closed soundlessly in front of her.

*She said no one shine brighter than me, oh no! Did I leak my grace again!!?*

 

 

Reclining on a tree branch just outside of Wheein’s apartment, a demon’s body shook with laughter as she overhead the Angel’s line of thoughts.

How could that fledging mistook the human’s idiom into thinking that she leaked her grace was beyond her.

Byul pulled the baseball cap even lower – almost covering half of her face – not for the first time wondering what she was doing here, sulking on top of a tree just because she felt a strong pull to be near the fledgling.

She almost fooled herself into thinking that it was because she wanted to know what was so different about this particular Angel that she ignited something within her.

Something that has long gone.

But as she saw through her mind eyes when the human’s lips touched the Angel.... she felt discontent.

Brushing aside the unnecessary feeling, she jumped off from the tall tree and landed on her feet softly.

She stood there for awhile, watching the building where the Angel was staying in this human world and contemplate her option.

She could come up to her apartment and then... what? There were times when she would go just for the sakes of annoying the fledgling, but her judgment was clouded. Asmosdeus appearance and her lack of control over her own power worries her. And then there was the discontentment over such trivial thing as a kiss on the fledgling’s cheek.

Byul frowned.

She couldn’t describe what she was feeling. It was complicated. A jumbled mess of something that weaved and looped over one another until it left her disgusted with herself when she recognized there were loneliness and longing within the mix.

She can’t believe that for a brief moment she considered – craving even – the possibility of having such a tender moment of intimacy with the Angel.

It frightened her.

No.

Fighting off the sudden melancholy away, perhaps, she thought, it was because she hasn’t really delve into her own wickedness. She hasn’t embrace the darkness for so long, just moving along with the flow of time, lost in her boredom.

Perhaps, now it is high time to channel her thoughts into what she knew best.

Corrupting mortal.

Starting with the human that just left this place.  

 

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Author's Note

Okay, so apologies that it took me so long to update, but work life has been hectic and will continue to be so *Sigh* and.... I'm not really sure what I'm doing with this story XD I just thought that writing a Demon-Byul would be cool, forgive me for not thinking it through LOL. Anyway, the Wheesun part bothers me, cause I was too used to write Wheebyul only, so I dont really know how it turns out? thoughts? are you guys enjoying this so far? 

So... will try to update soon by writing faster, hopefully my muse have mercy on me and tell me where this story will lead to, cause now its just a mess and plotless, why are you guys even reading this....

Moonsun in the next chapter, pray for me. Talk to you guys soon!!! XOXO