Heaven

Heaven

He was in a bad mood.

 

He was so tired after the long world tour that took him and his bandmates, and of course the rest of their crews, to spend more than 2 weeks away from Korea.

 

They were having Shinhwa's World Tour in South East Asia. They held it in about 4 cities. So for maximizing time, energy, and budget, they prefered to finish it in one go, better than coming back and forth to Seoul.

 

Shin Hyesung was dead tired, both physically and mentally. He hurried his steps as he finally reached his apartment floor. With high hopes he opened the door, but the scene he saw right after, was far from what he had imagined.

 

He did tell his girlfriend, who was actually living in university's dorm, to stay at his apartment if she wished to, since he knew himself, school dorm surely was nothing compared to a private apartment.

 

But why was this song of his junior that roaming around filling the room? The TV was on, showing a music program, and on the screen was the most popular boyband at the time. He would just accept it if his girlfriend was just sitting there watching. He knew she had passion for any kind of music. But no. The living room was a bit messy. The girl moved the sofa far back into the wall, making more space for her, to dance.

 

Yeah, dance. Dancing just like what those twelve boys on the television did.

 

And what made it worse was, she didn't even notice that he already stood there watching her. Glaring, actually.

 

"I left you for two weeks for our concert, yet here you are, cheating on us, with EXO?" His words piercing as cold as ice.

 

The girl already realized that she heard someone opening the door, but she didn't even remember to turn off the TV, or even reducing the volume. Too shocked already with her boyfriend's dead glare.

 

"You said you couldn't come with me to touring because of your paper assignments, yet here you are, practising their dance?" He continued. "You didn't even notice that I'm home already!" His voice started raising. "Don't you have your phone with you? I texted you hours ago that I just landed, and when you didn't reply I was hoping that you are busy preparing some meals for me like you always did. But this is what you do?" He knew he shouldn't let his anger burst but he just couldn't help it.

 

Usually the girl, who knew that her boyfriend could be unpredictable sometime, would try to reason with him in a calm manner. But she felt she had her right this time.

 

She went to the fridge, took out two medium size bowls that was wrapped nicely, and put them in the kitchen table. Then she turned to the power chords, unplugged her phone charger, making her phone blinking that the battery was only 32% that actually she shouldn't unplug the charger.

 

"My battery ran out after I tried calling you, or your staff, or anyone that could tell me why the hell there was no news of you guys, wherever you guys are or whatever you are doing, while you should have landed in Incheon hours ago, since your call to inform your boarding the plane was like the hell decades ago!" She looked as upset as her boyfriend she didn't care about her choice of words. Oh, and she didn't even remember to use her still-far-from-perfect Korean, so yes she's using English, the language they both understand well. "I've done my cooking right before the time I thought you'll be home. But still there were no news about you. I was trying to concentrate on my papers, but damn my brain won't cooperate with me, so I just randomly switched the television channels, and when I found the show I just thought, 'Oh yeah, tiring myself a bit will make me have less energy to worry then I'll be calmer a bit!"

 

"But your face seems too happy to feel worry when you were staring at those boys. Those babies!" He almost roared, some fragment in his brain trying to stop him since everybody know where this argument would lead.

 

"There you go again.." The girl rolled her eyes, in disbelief.

 

"I go what?!" He snapped.

 

"Don't we have an agreement already that I could still be fangirling over any idol I adore? EXO is not even on my range, they are too young for me, you know that! They just popped up in the television and the dance is just so damn good it could tire my self out." She stopped a while to catch her breath. "You know how I love music. I don't even hide any of my idols from you. You know all of them. And yet you snapped at me over EXO? What's wrong with you?"

 

Yeah, the girl was right. He promised he wouldn't protest at any of her fangirlings, since she reasoned him that he himself was a superstar and she would be very glad that many girls were crazy for him. Thus he must treat his girlfriend fairly over some other idols.

 

He knew he shouldn't be jealous over this matter, but somehow he just couldn't accept it that day. He admitted defeat against all her foreign idols, but at least in Korea, he wanted to be her Number 1. Her only one if he could.

 

There he was wondering why he was so possessive about this girl.

 

"You know I'm a fangirl since the very first time we met..."

 

"But you're not even fangirling over me!"

 

And there it is, he started to realise his wrong choice of words, but he couldn't take it back. The storm was coming.

 

"Yes of course I wasn't fangirling over you! By the time I knew Kpop, your group was on hiatus already. And did you blame me for that?" She yelled. "Oh... yeah... Yeah, why not..." she snuffled, "Maybe I should've had known who you are. Maybe I should've had become your fangirl already. That way so I would behave myself properly as your fan, giving you, my idol, some privacy, since that was what superstars like you supposed to look for on that island. I should've had never ever been anywhere around you even if you were the one approaching me, SO I DON'T NEED TO FALL INTO THIS HOPELESS FEELING TOWARDS YOU!!" She's catching her short breath. "Then I don't have to leave my home country, my family, my friends and EVERYONE I love behind! Just for ONE SINGLE PURPOSE like YOU! I left my prosperous work there just to start over from university here, learning everything from the basic!! And now this is what I got from you?!! Gosh, I HATE THIS!!!"

 

With those last words, she stormed out of the apartment, leaving the man stood there alone, regretting.

 

He saw some tears sparkling over his girlfriend's eyes before she was out of his sight, didn't even bother to look back. That girl was so strong that she wouldn't cry over common thing like sadness. She didn't even cry when she lost her mom years ago. There were only two things that could make her cry. It was when she was deeply touched, or when she was mad. And the situation just then was far from making her felt deeply touched.

 

"There you go Steve Jung," he cursed himself. "See what you have done."

 

He kept cursing. Why did they have to argue when he was so dead tired like that. The plane was delayed for almost three hours on transition-airport because of some bad weather, that the passengers were ensured to just stay inside the plane, and it made him displeased already.

 

If only he had more patience. If only he had chosen to rest a bit before dealing with his also-pissed-off girlfriend, those harsh words wouldn't have come out. Things wouldn't have to happen this way.

 

"Damn it!" He snorted, but yet, like what he'd just realized, rest first, deal later. Both of them might be very stubborn and pig-headed at times like this. So it's better to leave each other alone for a while, cooling their heads down. Although he couldn't rest properly since his head couldn't stop thinking. He couldn't let this condition continue before it's too late to settle it.

 

Two hours later he was already on the streets. With navy-blue hoody and snapback, his usual cover, no more secrecy needed because luckily people in his neighborhood always gave him enough privacy.

 

Despite many arguments that they might have, he knew his girlfriend so well. Well enough that it didn't took him long to find the silhouette of his beloved one in an ice-cream shop, sitting alone in the corner table where they always sat, with her hand holding a spoon, and eyes glaring at the biggest bowl, a.k.a. the largest menu set available at the shop. The bowl was almost emptied of course. And even before the bottom of the glass could be seen clearly, a waiter came to her table, delivering another serving. The exact menu set one.

 

He didn't enter the shop. He just stood there watching. His lips unknowingly curved a smile when he saw her sparkling eyes upon the arrival on the new bowl. He wasn't even sure that it was only the second bowl. It's been 2 hours already, only God knew how many ice cream she had devoured already. Oh, the waiter would've known too, of course.

 

He kept standing on his spot until he noticed that people already staring curiously at him. What the hell did a man do, standing there in the corner of a window? Before he got chased down like a stalker, finally he stepped in.

 

Silently he walked until he reached the table. She noticed it of course. She even noticed him outside the window since she started the new bowl, but he didn't have to know that.

 

She didn't protest or refuse when the man sat down in front of her. She didn't even say a word. She was just concentrating on her ice cream. He was relieved. At least she showed no rejection, nor she tried to move away. Perhaps she had cooled her head enough.

 

But there was saying about a calm before the storm. The man couldn't really rest his heart at ease.

 

The girl continued her ice cream while her boyfriend sat there still, looking at her closely. She did feel uncomfortable, but she knew they had to be there nonetheless.

 

She gulped down the small amount of sweets left at her bowl in one go, dropped the bowl down on the table, before she finally said something.

 

"I'm sorry."

 

The man stunned. He came down there with a mind to apologize to her since he realized truly how he foolishly wronged the girl. Patiently he waited his girl to finish her favorite food before he started anything, but the girl preceded him. And to his surprise, apologizing.

 

"No. I should be the one to say sorry, you know," he countered.

 

Silence came afterwards since both of them were a little surprised to hear each other's apology.

 

"Wanna go somewhere more private?" The girl asked, since she was still uncomfortable with public staring at them. Yes, the superstar had made it known to public that he was dating a non-celebrity girl from foreign country, and the fans unexpectedly were fully aware to give them privacy. But still they couldn't help staring.

 

They walked side by side all the way through Hyesung's apartment's ground. There are small parks, and in that time of the day, no one rarely seen around.

 

"How could you find me there?" Asked the girl.

 

"I just knew you would be there."

 

"I could be back to my dorm."

 

"But you would choose ice cream over sleep when you're stressed," he smirked. "And that shop sold the best ice cream to your liking," he added before she gave another excuses.

 

Yeah, he knew her so well up to those kind of things. How could he misunderstood her previous action and let his egoism won? What if he lost her? He didn't want to lose her over such a foolish jealousy. Yes, foolish.

 

"I'm sorry, Oppa," she started again. "I didn't mean my words earlier. I'm glad that I met you. I'm not even once regretting my decision to come here. I love it here. I love it to be with you. It was just... I was so worried that I couldn't contact you, up to the point I started worrying about your flight. Plane still, is very dangerous..." she glanced to her lover, unsure at first, but she found him staring at her, this time, gently.

 

"I know. I'm sorry," he responded. "I was so tired that before I realized it, I let out a sudden outburst like that. You must be startled."

 

"Yeah," she nodded. "But I should have remained calm since I knew that you were exhausted. But I couldn't keep my cool either."

 

"It's okay," this time he couldn't hold himself to grab the girl in his arms. "It's just a misunderstanding on both our parts, isn't it?" He could feel the girl nodding her head in his shoulder. "I won't question you like that ever again."

 

Yes he shouldn't. The lady had made it clear since the beginning, that even her man was a superstar, she wouldn't close her ears over other artist. She just love music she couldn't describe it. But as much as she love the music, she wouldn't fall for the artist romantically in any way similar to fall in love with a lover. Idol was idol, lover was lover.

 

She also made it clear to him that the one she fell for was Steve Jung Pilgyo she met back then, who turned out be Shin Hyesung of Shinhwa. With her love for Kpop, it didn't take her long to be a Shinhwa Changjo. And she'd just realized that their music style was the one she liked best over other Kpop artists. He wondered why he forgot this fact. Her ultimate fandom was Shinhwa Changjo, in Korea at least. She had that one vocal group Il Divo, which he couldn't do anything to defeat them.

 

"I won't be fangirling over other artist in front of you again," she made a promise.

 

"There's no need for you to do that."

 

"No. I too need to understand you more. Just tell me if you couldn't take it."

 

He chuckled, "Okay..okay.. But really, I admit, even if I get jealous sometimes, I love to see that fangirl side of yours. You're just so cute," now his hand were cupping her chubby cheeks, making her even more cute in his eyes.

 

"Really?" The girl's eyes widened. "Then you will still accompany me to Im Taekyung's musical performances and Moon Myungjin's concerts, won't you?"

 

"Yes, I will," he answered. And then somethhing crossed his mind. "But in one condition..."

 

"What is that?" The girl asked curiously.

 

"Come with me to our concert next week in China," he grinned.

 

She frowned, "Oppaaa... But next week will be my paper presentation. You know that. I have to finish my study well if I want to be the Curator of Seoul National Museum of History."

 

He giggled, "You're really serious about being a curator, aren't you?"

 

"Of course," she nodded, "Or any position around those fields. I love your country's history and arts so much. But maybe people will find it weird for a non-Korean to be the curator of their national museum."

 

He couldn't stop grinning, "I bet you already know better history of this country than me a Korean myself."

 

She grinned too, "So... You won't make me failed this subject, right?"

 

"Yeah..yeah.. I know you won't agree on it. I was just teasing you."

 

She pouted, "So what is your real condition?"

 

He kept silent for a moment before uttering, "Move in with me..."

 

***

 

It wasn't the first time the man made such a request. Even since the first time the girl agreed to come to Korea, he asked her to stay with him, but she refused it. They actually met in person only for a week during their vacation back then, when they accidentally bumped to each other. And afterwards they're just keeping a kind of long-distance-relationships for months before the girl managed to get a scholarship in a university, with the man's help obviously.

 

She thought that it might not be good for them to live together right away. She wanted them to know each other better, thus she chose the dorm instead.

 

Now a year has passed, and she had no reason to say no to his offer.

 

But moving in right away won't be wise since the man was busy with another preparation for another concert, so she was coming to the apartment to prepare some room for herself. Her boyfriend agreed that she should had her personal space still, and he entrusted her to re-arrange his apartment anyway it would fit.

 

"Look who is it if it's not my soon-to-be sister-in-law, Stevie," Lee Minwoo came and greeted her when he dropped by the apartment. He needed to discuss something urgent with Eric who lived in next building at the moment. After they're done, he wanted to visit the busy couple.

 

"Minwoo-ssi, please, my name is Steffany. Don't confuse my name with Steve oppa," she protested, but grinning.

 

"It's the short term," he replied grinning too.

 

"It should be Steffi then."

 

"Who cares? It's still similar though," he grinned wider, "Steve and Steffi, what a match made in heaven, eh? And now with you moving in, maybe I should start calling you jesu-ssi?"

 

"Just call me like you usually do. We're not even married yet," she replied.

 

"Yeah, thanks to our leader's Marriage Ban," the boyfriend added.

 

"So if I lift the ban, you guys will get married right away?" The leader they talked about stepped in.

 

"Not right away, but soon," the main vocal replied. "Steffi wants to graduate first."

 

"Good then. So the ban is still valid," the leader said firmly.

 

"Hey, you too should marry your girlfriend soon if you don't want Hyesungie to beat you," Minwoo said turning to the tallest man.

 

"I don't have one," he answered while walking out the room after his phone buzzing.

 

"Yaa!! She'll be sad if she heard you just now!" Minwoo shouted.

 

"She's still too young!" He replied before shutting the door.

 

"Aish...that moron!" Minwoo shook his head. "Don't mind him," he turned to the couple. "Just get married if you want to."

 

"Pray for us then," the girl amused.

 

"Sure," he gave her his smiling eyes.

 

"So what's the urgent matter?" Hyesung asked curiously.

 

"Oh, it was a miss on our flight. We got re-scheduled. We and the crews must be split into two flights. Six of us will depart a bit earlier before the rest of them. Even the seats are scattered. Somebody has to sit alone, and Eric claims it," he explained.

 

"Well, a bit unusual," Hyesung thought, "But it's not a big deal."

 

"Yeah," Minwoo nodded. "So, I dropped by just to inform you that. And I got other things to handle," he glanced at the main door, "Eric just left and not coming back?"

 

Hyesung shrugged, "He always did that. In and out like this is his place too. I have to remind him that he can't do it freely as he wish again, since Steffi will be here onwards."

 

"Yeah you better do that," Minwoo agreed. "Or change the passcode." He rose from the seat. "Gotta go now. See you tomorrow, Pilgyo-ya. Jesu-ssi, bye," he winked and left the room before anyone complained.

 

***

 

As the flight to Beijing was coming near, as usual, Steffi was at her boyfriend's room, re-checking and making sure that her man didn't left anything he need behind. Silently the man stand closer behind her, sliding his hands grabbing the girl's waist, gently. He always love gazing through her back while she's busy, and everytime, he couldn't restrain himself embracing his lover, although it may disrupt the girl's activity. Yet she stood still, enjoying the warmth around her body. She could feel gentle kisses on her crown, and then her cheek. She could feel the affection and longing in each and every touch of her man. It's always like this, everytime the man had to leave her for several days, a full week this time.

 

"I will miss you," he gently whispered to her ears.

 

"I'll miss you too," the girl replied.

 

Usually she would be merry and bright, cheering her boyfriend for the concerts. But she wondered why she suddenly felt like there was something wrong. And she didn't know what it was.

 

He inhaled deeply, as if he wanted to devour all her scent. She turned her body so they stood face by face, with arms around each other's waist. His lips had just landed on her temple when suddenly they heard someone knocking -and banging- the front door, loudly.

 

"Pilgyo-ya!!"

 

They could hear the shouting faintly and the called man cursed inside his head, 'Damn it, Eric...'

 

The girl chuckled in amusement, to hide the unpleasant feeling inside her heart, while her boyfriend stepped out to open the front door before that 4D leader did something unpredictable like breaking it, presumably.

 

"Eric Moon Junghyuk don't you remember that we have doorbell installed in each apartment so you don't have to bang my door like that?!" She could hear her man howling to their guest while she closed the enormous suitcase and started to drag it out.

 

"At least I didn't just bark in, as I know I may disrupt your farewell kisses," the guest replied, smirking to the lady who already stepped out the bedroom door.

 

"Perhaps I really should ask Oppa to change the passcode then," the girl countered the smirk with a grin.

 

"And you can tell me the new one," Eric winked, earning a smack on his head.

 

"Stop flirting with my girl, you have yours already," Hyesung hissed.

 

"I'm just saying goodbye to sister-in-law," Eric replied calmly, winking again to the only lady in the room, earning him another smack, but jokingly, not to anyone's surprise.

 

Of course they were just joking. Hyesung knew Eric wouldn't betray him. No one in Shinhwa would betray him. He was glad instead, that his girlfriend could mingle rather quickly with his lifetime companions. The members were just in sync with her that they wondered when will their main vocalist drag the lady to the church and give them some nieces and nephews.

 

"Have a nice trip, both of you," she said as Hyesung took the suitcase from her, "Give my greetings to the others as well."

 

"Stay save at home, dear," Hyesung gave his love a light peck on the lips and then another deep one on her temple, just the way she loved it better than deep french kiss. "See you next week. Bye..."

 

The girl was opening , trying to bid farewell, but something stopped her. It's not something physical, but something in her mind disoriented her, the moment he said 'Bye'.

 

As Hyesung leaning further from Steffi, he felt the sudden pressure on his wrist. He looked down to notice that her hand was grabbing his tightly, too tight he almost feel numb.

 

"Steffi, what's wrong?" Just then he noticed that something was off with the girl.

 

"Steffi..." he repeated as he got no response from her. He grabbed her shoulder and squeeze it lightly. He reckoned that the expression on her face was out of happiness and any positive energy. Her face was so dark, like full of fear, and terror.

 

She was there. Her body stood still in the apartment, but her eyes were seeing something beyond her surroundings.

 

It was fire.

 

She saw it clearly that her boyfriend and his bandmates boarded the plane. The iron bird took off safely as it seems, and they were up in the air, before unknowingly, the explotions happened.

 

The passengers were on their seat when out of nowhere, fire spreaded rapidly through whole plane, and in no matter of time, the aircraft blew up in the sky.

 

She dropped on her knees, hand still holding tightly to the man beside her. She couldn't even sob although tears had fill her eyes. The pictures she's witnessing were so terrible she was unable to move any of her nerve.

 

"Steffi..." Hyesung's calling her name again, down next to her, holding her body who lost all its energy and leaning on his chest.

 

"Oppa," faintly he heard her saying, "don't go..."

 

"What?"

 

"Please..." she weeped silently, "Please don't go... Cancel the flight... Stay here... Don't go... Please... No... can't lose you..." She kept mumbling, tightening her squeeze on Hyesung's wrist.

 

"Yes, Steffi.. I'm here. Relax dear," he tried to calm her. Never ever since he knew her, he saw her in this state. Luckily he remembered when she once said that perhaps she had a little gift of foresight since she had seen things before she actually experience it, and it was too much coincidence to be called dejavu.

 

"Steffi.." he called again. "I'm here. See? I know you're seeing things. But I'm right here, still beside you."

 

She shook her head violently he had no choice but to hold her tightly in his arms.

 

Eric was too shocked to see Steffi's change that he could do nothing but stood still in the doorway.

 

"Relax, sweetheart," Hyesung spoke softly. He had the imagination already, but he needed to know what he's actually dealing with. "Can you tell me what did you see?"

 

It took a moment before an answer was uttered, "The plane....it's blown..."

 

"The plane...as in...our plane?" Hyesung made sure.

 

"Yes.. The one you... w... ride..." her words are broken, she's panting, "I see...you...next to J..Jin... He's wearin... plain white shirt...and next..is Minw.. on blue..polo shirt..." she tried her best to speak, but her heart was in pain, the images had done so much damage to her mentally.

 

"We have to cancel our flight, Eric," Hyesung said -half ordering- his friend, "She was never in this state, so I know this must be for real. So just in case, we all should cancel it."

 

Eric nodded as he saw his teammate was dead serious. He called Minwoo immediately.

 

"Are you guys serious?" Minwoo responded after he heard the story from Eric.

 

"I'm ing serious, Minwoo-ya," Eric yelled back through the phone. "A little delay won't matter. We just need to skip this flight!"

 

"I know, but we have to have clear reason for our delay. The Chinese staffs won't be pleased," Minwoo reasoned.

 

"Just tell them any reason possible! Damn I can't think straight now!" The horror he saw in Steffi's eyes lingered in his mind he didn't realised he just yelled, "Sorry, Minwoo-ya.."

 

"It's okay," across the phone Minwoo could feel the distress in his leader's voice.

 

"Just in case, Minwoo," Eric tried to keep his cool, "What cloth are you wearing now?"

 

"Polo shirt."

 

"Color?"

 

"Blue."

 

Hyesung and Steffi didn't have to hear Minwoo directly, the horror on Eric's eyes already gave them the answer.

 

"Steffi, No..." Hyesung gasped.

 

Her heart couldn't take it anymore, and she had fallen unconscious.

 

***

 

For what was felt like eternity, she finally feeling a flow of energy in her body again. She opened her eyes to find herself laying on her boyfriend's bedroom. It's pretty dark. She gazed through the window to find out it's sunset already. Her boyfriend should have departed hours ago. But then she felt a soft touch on her palm.

 

"Steffi..." It was the person he wanted to see the most.

 

"Oppa...you're staying..." she shed a tear of gladness.

 

"Yeah. It's okay. Everything is fine," he assured her.

 

Junjin peeked in just in time, "Hyung, we need to... Oh..." he stopped, realizing Steffi turned her head towards him, "Hyungsoo, you're awake.."

 

She nodded weakly.

 

Upon hearing Junjin's words, the rest of Shinhwa stormed to the door, curious to see if their sister-in-law-to-be was okay.

 

"Everyone, you're here," she was obviously glad.

 

"Yes, we all are here, alive and well. Thanks to you," Dongwan responded, in full honesty, earning him a kick in his from Andy, before he realised what he'd just said.

 

But Steffi didn't have to see that. Seeing Junjin in white shirt and Minwoo already gave her another strike.

 

Tears flew down her face. "The plane... right?"

 

Hyesung squeezed her hand softly. He couldn't keep the truth from her. Not with that incredible foresight. But he didn't have the heart to inform her.

 

Andy stepped in, seeing nowhere to deny her from the truth, "It has been declared missing since couple of hours ago..."

 

***

 

It was an unwritten custom in South Korea that when there was a disaster, even a small one, it become national mourning period. TV shows were reset properly to the atmosphere, even the celebrities must behave appropriately. Shinhwa's concert was undoubtedly cancelled, or rather postponed until further notice. It was agreeable since some Chinese citizens were also on the plane, that it became a mourning period in the continent too.

 

The fans, Shinhwa Changjo, who knew about their idols flight plan were anxious at first, but then they were relieved that the singers had missed the plane, although with no clear reason. Whatever it is, the fans were glad.

 

With full awareness that they could had been one of the victims, Shinhwa paid tribute to the deceased, just as many people did. A memorial hall was established where they put the photographs of the victims.

 

She knew she shouldn't come with them to the memorial hall, but her guilt couldn't let it go. She knew it's not her fault that the tragedy happened. But she knew it would be, yet she did nothing other than saving her own beloved ones.

 

But what could she do? Hyesung tried to reason with her that they couldn't make the flight got canceled because of merely one's vision. Not to mention no one would believe it. What should they do to stop it? No one have any answers.

 

So there they are, with many other people in the memorial hall. She saw the families and relatives of the deceased were crying and her heart grew in pain again.

 

She fell down to the floor. Silently weeping and wailing. The pain was unbearable.

 

I'm sorry... I'm so sorry...

 

Many would think that she was a relative to the deceased. But those who knew her, because of the men around her, thought that she might be between grief and relief because her boyfriend almost became one of the victims.

 

Weeks turned to months since the incident occured, yet she still couldn't relieve herself from the guilt. She even wished to God that she could return the gift. Foreseeing things was not as pleasing as it sounds.

 

In his effort to help his girlfriend, Hyesung managed to find an expert in this psychics field they could consult.

 

"Foreseeing things right in front of you eyes as if you are there, is pretty rare. In common cases, it was given to us so we could prepare ourselves. Many things, good or bad, joy or disaster, will still happen despite human's effort to stop it. We might change it a bit. But we won't be able to deny it, especially if it is God's will. But in your case, He let you saw it, perhaps because He wanted to give you a chance. Like what you've just told me yourself that even in your younger days, you felt like you'll end up living abroad, and now here you are. The vision gave you the courage to leave your home. Now you saw the incident because God wanted you to stop your boyfriend. It's not his time yet, and it was your destiny, to save him. Maybe He wanted you both to stay altogether, for longer time..."

 

Destiny. What a simple word, but the meaning was very deep. Slowly she regained her confidence to accept her fate. Everything happens for a reason. And she learnt to use her gift wisely.

 

***

 

And in the end couldn't your gift save you?

 

Yow saw my plane blown, but don't you see your own car accident?

 

God made you save me, but why didn't He save you?

 

"Dad.... Dad..."

 

Huh? What?

 

"Daddy..."

 

The man shuddered a bit. And then slowly, he opened his eyes.

 

"Dad, sorry to disturb you. Were you asleep?"

 

He turned his head slightly to see a gorgeous young lady, who he recognized as his own daughter, standing right beside him. Her face showed a little worry.

 

"No..no.. I was just day-dreaming.." he said.

 

He didn't need to tell her that he was just reminiscing her mother, remembering the event he wouldn't forget for the rest of his life. It would have added the worry in her if he talked about her mother, or rather, she might be tired of it. Who knew? They've had enough sadness on their own.

 

"It's past lunch time already. Should I bring the food for you here? You even didn't eat much breakfast."

 

"I'm feeling full, my dear.."

 

"But, Dad..." she protested.

 

"Okay..okay.." he agreed before he had to face his pouting eldest daughter. "Just not too much, please.."

 

"Of course, Dad..." she sighed, but in relief.

 

After his daughter was out of his sight, he continued his 'day-dreaming'.

 

There he was, in his older age already. He sat in the balcony of his house, in the warm daylight breeze. He realized he had everything he wanted already. A house, not so big but enough for him to raise his family. A simple two story house with enough bedrooms, for each of his 4 children to have their own. And they have small pool in their backyard, satisfying enough to play around, like how he heard his grandchildren fooling around there at the moment.

 

He glanced at his baby daughter who came bringing the food tray instead of her sister, but just like her, pleading him to finish his lunch.

 

He recollected his memory if he and his wife had raised their children well.

 

Starting from the oldest boy Soonshin, who was a piano genius, but instead of working at musical companies in Europe chose to stay in Korea because he said he got homesick too often.

 

Then the oldest girl Shinbi, who likes to play violin because she loves to keep her brother company. And their musical duet of piano and violin was so beautiful their parents would never tired to hear it.

 

Last but not least were their girl-boy twins Shinyoung and Yooshin. Unlike their older siblings, they prefer more physical activities. They love martial arts, and the girl Shinyoung assosiated it well with her hobby of dancing. She was a renowned profesional Korean Tradisional dancer. While Yooshin who was the only one to inherit his father's heavenly voice, finally became a solo singer after spending his school days with sports and martial arts tournaments.

 

The family's talent did not go far from music remarkably. After what was seem like endless arguing, his wife finally agreed to accompany him by piano on some occasions, despite her stage-fright nervousness.

 

He remembered how glorious he felt when he saw all his 4 children collaborated in a profesional stage. Yooshin was singing with only his older siblings' piano and violin as the accompanying instruments, while his twin sister dancing and glancing gracefully around him.

 

He also brought back the thrills when he had joined them to sing duet with his baby son. Furthermore, to complete the scene, his wife was also playing duet piano with their eldest son.

 

How blissful it was.

 

"We make a beautiful family, don't we?" He murmured only for himself to hear, with hope that his dearest one could hear it too.

 

He commemorated also the memory of his friends, his dearest brothers, how they managed their group Shinhwa to never disbanding. How in their present old age they couldn't be much active like they did in their younger days, yet their fans never stop showering them with love.

 

ShinCom growth was promising as well, even when he was just a shareholder, not taking any position, he felt very proud of it. He did become a vocal trainer though, training their juniors who successfully became stars, including his son. Well, Yooshin was one of the reason he didn't take any position in the company.

 

Haven't I had enough already?

 

I got everything I wanted.

 

My only wish was to spend a long, peaceful old age with you.

 

But now...

 

How could you...

 

That car accident... I told you not to drive alone. Told you I would come with you, but you insisted.

 

'It's just a small matter in the museum, really,' you said, 'I'll be right back before you notice it.'

 

But you lied. You never returned to me.

 

How could it happen?

 

How could you let it happen?

 

Was it your time already?

 

Those questions lingered in his mind. He raised his fork with chicken meat on the other end, but then he put it back on the plate, sighing, and again, back into his wondering minds.

 

"You really should eat it all, you know..."

 

He was just about to close his eyes when he heard someone talking. He knew that voice. Knew it too well.

 

"Or the girls will be really sad. They put all their hearts into their cooking but you never praised them well like you did mine. While we both know they are better cook than me."

 

"Yeobo..."

 

"Come on.. Finish that... I'll accompany you here.."

 

He saw the figure he missed so bad standing there. Her back leaned against the balcony railing, one thing she never did before because she always worries if the railing couldn't bear her weight, and she had only one phobia in life, which was falling, even from just a narrow gap.

 

How could she be there? He knew he often feel like he saw her like what he did now. But he always reminded himself that it was just an illusion.

 

But this one was different. It is so.. real...

 

"Please, honey.. Eat..."

 

Now he noticed her glaring look for him, right into the eyes. The one same expression she always made everytime she demanded him to fulfil something. He had no choice but to continue eating, with a lot of thoughts flew over his mind, begging to burst.

 

"Their food taste more Korean indeed, but it doesn't make them better cook than you are. I do love your cooking better," was what he said instead, making the lady's cheek blushed a little.

 

"I know you're mad since I'm breaking my promise. But I couldn't help it. I'm sorry..." she said after a while. "Don't blame that drunk truck driver."

 

"But don't you able to.."

 

"Not this time..." she interfered. "It was my time, dear..."

 

"Then what about me?"

 

"Your time is not up yet..."

 

"Oh, really?" he sighed, obviously upset.

 

Silence fall before them. It feels like eternity in the man's heart before his wife finally saying something again.

 

"You made a plea with the God, don't you"

 

He nodded.

 

"Don't you think it will be too harsh on our kids?"

 

"They aren't kids anymore. They even have children of their own already. I'm the one who is lonely here since they live on their own now," he reminded, drawing a curved smile on his wife lips.

 

"Yeah you're right," she agreed. "But still I don't think it's a good idea.."

 

"It's not for you to decide," he cutted. "What is His answer?"

 

She smiled, giving another pause, "What do you think I'm here for?" The smile went further into grin.

 

He could feel his lips start smiling as well.

 

"Come," she said, offering her hand.

 

And with no hesitation, the man rose from his seat and reached out to his lover's hand.

 

***

 

Shinyoung went upstairs to check whether her dad had finished his meal or not. She called him but she got no reply. She saw her dad sat still in his chair just like when she left him with the food tray some time ago. Her dad didn't even respond when she touched his shoulder. And she just gasped. It is the time already? She couldn't believe it.

 

"Unnie!!! Shinbi unnie come up here quick!!! Dad... Dad is..."

 

Shinbi had shoved her way upstairs upon hearing her sister cried. She grabbed her father's hands upon reaching him. No pulses. The neck too... Nothing... She even drew her finger below her old man's nose. Nothing.. No more breaths of air.

 

They knew it.

 

They knew it already that their father might not make it after their mother's passing, eventhough they tried their best not to made their worries come true. But they lost. And they never expect it to be so soon. It hadn't even been a week after they threw their mother's ashes into the sea, per her request long ago while she was still alive and well. And now their father had gone after her.

 

They saw their father's face. He was smiling. So peaceful. Really peaceful they tried to remember when the man was indeed looked very beautiful like that. It was the smile they always saw everytime their father stare at their mother lovingly.

 

They noticed that the food in the tray was nowhere to be seen. Their father finished his meal. For the first time ever since their mother died.

 

Tears silently broke the sisters eyes. But they're not that sad.

 

"In peace.. Really.." Shinyoung sobbed silently.

 

"Yeah.." Shinbi agreed, tears falling down on her cheeks. "Now you go call the others.. Our brothers.. our husbands... I'll call uncle Eric and..."

 

Her sister already flew downstair to find her phone, while she remember something. She went into her parents' bedroom. She found her father's phone in a flash. She knew exactly where he put it, and what the password was, thanks to their no secret policy since long time ago. There is one fastest way to let all the uncles know right away, the group chat that amazingly still exist until now.

 

"Uncles... This is Shinbi. I need to tell you..."

 

***

 

There they are. Familiar faces, gathering, again, for another funeral. It was only ten days ago they heard the shocking news about their beloved Steffi. Now they heard another one. Shin Hyesung wasn't even the oldest member of Shinhwa, but there he was, the first member to get married, have kids, and grandchildren. And as if he's keeping his Number 1 records, now he's the first one to leave this world.

 

*** The End ***