Chapter Two

A MONSTA's Love: The Anthology

Hoseok enters the dorm with a heavy sigh, his muscles aching after the night’s workout. He slips off his shoes and drops his bag by the door, telling himself he’d make sure to grab it later. If not, Kihyun would nag him senseless about it, and that’s something he’s just too tired to deal with tonight.

He looks around the living room, smiling at seeing that the others had gotten done with the cleaning before his return. It isn’t as if he missed the group cleaning on purpose, it being more of a happy coincidence. However, his smile disappears at seeing the maknae sprawled out on the couch. He’s cute as always, of course, but the pout on his face worries the older. His arm is laying atop his eyes, as if he’s trying to block out the light. He walks over, sitting down beside the rapper and setting a gentle hand on his arm.

“Changkyunnie,” Hoseok prompts, keeping his tone lighthearted, “what’s wrong? Did Minhyuk and Jooheon pull another prank on you?” Changkyun drops his arm, surprisedly looking up at the older.

“Hyung,” Changkyun murmurs, smiling sleepily, “when’d you get home?”

“Just now,” he answers. “Were you sleeping? You know how Kihyun-ah feels about you taking naps so late in the day…” Changkyun shakes his head, moving to sit up as he rubs at his face.

“I was just thinking,” the rapper answers. Hoseok hums thoughtfully, waiting for him to explain just what he was thinking about. However, he doesn’t. The older pouts at him withholding information and lies down on the couch, resting his head in Changkyun’s lap. He reaches down and hugs the younger’s legs, keeping him from moving away. Changkyun chuckles at the affection, lowering his head to rest it atop the older’s.

“Hoseok-ah,” Kihyun’s stern tone suddenly says, surprising them both. Hoseok lazily glances over at the lead vocalist, whose standing over them with his hands on his hips. He has to fight the urge to groan in annoyance. He can’t even be home for five minutes without being nagged at anymore… “Make sure you take care of that bag before you go to bed,” Kihyun continues, pointing at the door, “and don’t just leave your shoes out like that. I just organized the shoe rack today… again.”

“Okay, okay, Kihyunnie,” Hoseok sighs, readjusting his head slightly for more comfort. Kihyun continues to glare at him, though, at seeing that he isn’t moving to get up. “I promise I’ll take care of it later,” Hoseok says tiredly. Kihyun raises a doubtful brow, and is about to insist that he gets up and does it now before he forgets, but he stops himself. He realizes how tired the older seems, and has to bite back a sigh as he walks away. He’ll give his hyung a break for tonight.

“Make sure you do,” is all he says before disappearing back into the kitchen. Hoseok glances up at Changkyun, a bemused smile on his face.

“I was sure he was going to keep nagging me until I did it,” Hoseok admits as he turns on his back, hoping to get a better look at the maknae as they talk. Changkyun chuckles, nodding his head in agreement. It isn’t like Kihyun to give such mercy. He’s about to comment on it himself, but pauses, becoming mesmerized by the older’s expression. He finds himself staring down at him, a smile of his own coming to him. “Wh-What?” Hoseok asks, the unwavering gaze making him nervous.

“Hyung’s smile is so beautiful,” Changkyun murmurs. Hoseok chuckles, the vivacious sound causing him to jolt forward slightly from the force of it.

“Are you sure you’re feeling okay?” he asks jokingly, reaching up to hold his hand against the younger’s forehead. Changkyun pouts playfully, swatting the hand away.

“I can’t compliment my hyung without being sick?” he asks in return, poking his lower lip out as far as it can go. Hoseok shakes his head at the expression, lightly hitting the maknae on the side of his head.

“Not unless you want something,” Hoseok answers. Changkyun makes a “humph” sound in his throat, turning his face away.

“If that’s how you feel,” Changkyun says, “I might as well go and help Kihyun-hyung in the kitchen.” Hoseok quickly protests, grabbing onto the younger’s legs once more. Changkyun laughs at the typical response, shaking his head as he scoots further down on the couch. Hoseok hums in victory, snuggling closer to the maknae as he closes his eyes. Changkyun absentmindedly begins to play with the older’s hair, tangling his fingers in the soft strands as he twirls it about and combs through it.

 

“Dinner’s ready!” Kihyun’s voice calls from the kitchen. The sudden noise causes both boys on the couch to jump in surprise. Hoseok slowly sits up, rubbing his eyes. He hadn’t meant to fall asleep, but apparently he was more tired than he realized. He glances over at the young rapper, who also seems to be just waking up. Hyungwon shuffles through the living room, his blank expression showing he isn’t very aware of his surroundings. He bumps into the wall, earning a chuckle from Hoseok as he watches. Hyunwoo and Minhyuk follow, Minhyuk hugging Hyunwoo from behind as they walk.

Changkyun and Hoseok stand, groaning in protest at the movement. They go and sit at the table, Changkyun sitting beside Hyungwon and Hoseok siting on the other side of him. Hyungwon wraps an arm around the maknae’s shoulders absentmindedly, setting upon the food almost immediately.

“Hyung,” Kihyun says after a few silent minutes filled with nothing but the clatter of utensils on plates, “don’t you have some news for everyone?”

“But Jooheonney isn’t here…” Hyunwoo mumbles nervously, earning a curious glance from those not in the know.

“Hyung went to the company,” Changkyun explains. “They wanted him to write more lyrics, so he may not be back until late.” Hyunwoo heaves a sigh, rubbing at his eyes. He glances at Kihyun questioningly, but he only shakes his head.

“Alright,” Hyunwoo says at last, “I suppose one of us can tell him later. The managers suggested that we spend tomorrow night working on the routine. They said that since we’re so close to perfecting it—… Minhyukkie?” he asks as Minhyuk stands and goes to leave the dorm. Kihyun bolts up to follow him, Changkyun and Hoseok mirroring his actions.

“Where are you going?” Kihyun asks, his tone taking on an air of authority.

“The company,” Minhyuk answers. “I’m going to have a word with our managers.”

“Hyung,” Changkyun says tentatively, “I don’t think that’s a good idea.”

“They’ve been working us like dogs!” Minhyuk argues, whirling around to face his band mates. Changkyun backs away at the outburst, surprised by his hyung’s raised voice. Minhyuk notices the action immediately, and sighs, feeling guilty for shouting at the maknae. “Sorry, Changkyunnie,” he mumbles, feeling ashamed of himself for losing his temper at the innocent young man. Changkyun nods, giving him an understanding smile.

“Talking with them won’t do anything,” Kihyun tells Minhyuk, crossing his arms over his chest. “Actually, no. It might do something. It’ll land you one even hotter water with the higher-ups!”

“It isn’t right how they’re treating us!” Minhyuk defends.

“Of course it isn’t,” Kihyun agrees easily, “but we have to deal with it, at least until we get our first win. They’ll let up on us then, I’m sure.”

“Working us ragged won’t get us our first win,” the older says.

“Minmoongie,” Hoseok says gently, reaching forward to grab one of his hands, “you’re not thinking clearly. Please, can we just finish dinner?” Minhyuk stares at his hyung thoughtfully. He finally puffs out a defeated sight, his cheeks filling up with air and being released through puckered lips.

“Fine,” he mumbles. Hoseok smiles at him gratefully, an expression Minhyuk only half-heartedly returns, and leads them back to the table. He can’t help but chuckle at Hyunwoo and Hyungwon, who have only been eating throughout Minhyuk’s attempt to leave.

The boys return to their seats, and do their best to keep each other distracted from their collective disappointment at the news. Something, they know, that is much easier said than done.