Thoughts

New Beginnings (And More)

Set during Amazing f(x): New Zealand, 2012.

 

“It's nighttime now and everyone's gone to sleep, so I thought I'd say goodnight to you all,” Luna said into the vlog camera she was holding in front of her face, “Goodnight, everyone!” She waved into the lense, about the shut it off when Amber suddenly appeared behind her, “Oh, Amber, you’re still awake?”

 

The tomboy made a noise of some sort, flopping herself face down onto the sofa of their suite. “I'm sick,” she grumbled miserably.

 

“What? You're sick?” Luna asked, sounding genuinely concerned. Suddenly remembering that she was still rolling, she stood up to point the camera down at her, filming Amber as she sluggishly rolled onto her back with a pillow clutched tightly against her chest. She looked up and gave her a nod, the cute pout on her face seeming like a mask to her actual pain. Luna wanted to end the vlog and ask her how she really was, but Amber was insistent on getting in some usable footage. She ended up springing off the couch, saying something about basketball before she ended up fetching an actual ball from her room.

 

“Let's play!” she said, throwing the ball in Luna’s direction with a surprising amount of energy. They messed around for a bit longer, before the fatigue in Amber's little show began to break through. That's where Luna drew the line, saying another goodbye into the camera before quickly shutting it off.

 

“Why’d you cut it off?” Amber panted slightly, “We could've filmed a little more.”

 

“Amber,” Luna said, taking the plastic ball from her hands.

 

“What?” she replied nonchalantly, moving her body to lay on the couch again. “Turn it back on. We can shoot ourselves playing a game or something.”

 

She was breathing heavily, sniffling through her nose. Their short time running around seemed to have tired her out immensely, causing Luna to crouch down beside her with worry.

 

“Amber,” she muttered, brushing the tomboy’s flopping fringe away to lay her hand against her forehead, “You look so sick.”

 

“What? No I don't,” she protested, pushing the younger girl’s hand away as she sat up, “I'm fine. It's just a little cold.” Upon finishing her sentence, she erupted into a fit of coughing, betraying her claim.

 

“Are you okay?” Luna asked, moving to sit beside her while rubbing her back. “Jeez, Amber, why haven't you told anyone you’re this sick?”

 

“I'm okay, Luna, really. You should stop worrying about me. Aren't you worried about yourself? You're going skydiving tomorrow! That's insane. Are you scared?” she asked, her expression becoming one of deep concern, “Because if you are you really don't have to do it, Luna. You-”

 

“Yah, Amber,” Luna interrupted, “Why are you changing the subject!”

 

“I'm not,” the older girl said truthfully in her heavily congested voice, “I'm just worried about you.”

 

Luna took a good look at her good friend, her red nose, pale complexion, and worn out eyes, and let out a sigh. Even in this state, Amber still looked so worried, so concerned for her. It was so typical of her to do. She could be on her deathbed and she'd still be worrying about someone else. Luna didn't know whether she should be touched or annoyed.

 

“Why do you always do this, Amber?” she sighed again.

 

“Do what?”

 

Luna shook her head, suddenly jumping to her feet

 

“C’mon,” she said, reaching down for Amber's hand, “I'm taking you to bed. Let's go.”

 

She was surprisingly strong for her small size as she effortlessly tugged Amber off the couch despite her many protests. Luckily, they were sharing a room together that night, so all the noise they made hopefully did not reach the others.

 

“I'm not even that tired,” Amber whined childishly as Luna let go of her arm to turn down the bed.

 

“I don't care,” she replied, pushing the older girl down onto it. It took a bit of maneuvering and more protests before she was able to pull the covers up over Amber's chest, tucking her into the bed before she could get out.

 

“You didn't have to force me into bed, Luna. I'm fine. I told you,” she grumbled. Luna ignored that, perching herself on the side of the bed to check the older girl's temperature again.

 

“Hmm, you don't feel warm, I guess. You're not feeling feverish, are you?”

 

“I'm not,” Amber shook her head, Luna's hand then moving to rest against her shoulder. She didn't quite buy it though, peering into her bandmate’s eyes that looked red and strained. Curled back into the mattress with the comforter pulled up to her chin, she looked tired. Weak.

 

“There's no way you're going snorkeling with Sulli tomorrow,” Luna said decisively.

 

“What? No! I have to! Sulli needs me.”

 

Amber tried to sit up against the headboard, but Luna’s hand that was still on her shoulder held her down. “Sulli's a big girl,” she said, “She'll survive without you.”

 

“But-”

 

“No, Amber,” Luna said sternly this time before softening her tone. “I’m not letting you do this again.”

 

“Do whaaat?” the sick girl questioned, staring up at her with confusion.

 

“You know what I'm talking about, Amber,” she said quietly, poking her arm, “You're always doing things for us. Sacrificing. Bending over backwards just to make us happy no matter how much you'll be suffering. Why do you always do that? You know it's true.”

 

It was true, there was no denying it. Amber was always busying herself with things for the other members. The maknaes of their group, knowing this, took advantage of it, too. Whenever Luna saw them talk the older girl into doing whatever is is they wanted, she’d let it slide. They were younger, and Amber was their unnie, after all. But still, she couldn't help but get annoyed everytime Krystal talked her into buying food or Sulli coaxed her into doing her chore. Amber did everything for them out of love, and Luna didn't know how the others were able to exploit that.

 

“I just...I really care about you guys,” Amber said softly, an almost guilty look on her face. Luna rolled her eyes, fingers travelling upwards to her cheek.

 

“I know you care about us and we care about you, too! But you don't have to do all these crazy things because of that.”

 

“I know, but…”

 

“No buts!” Luna said defiantly. She rose up from the bed, brushing her hands off against her thighs before wiggling her finger in Amber's direction. “If you're not any better by tomorrow, you are not stepping one foot on that boat nor will you be taking one foot out of this bed. Am I understood?”

 

“Yes, mom.” Amber tiredly nodded, giving her a playful salute. Luna chuckled and started walking to the door, prompting the sick girl to call out, “Where are you going?”

 

Luna pulled the door open, before turning her body around. “I’m gonna go get some of Victoria's medicine and bring you back some tea,” she said, about to step out of the room when Amber stopped her again.

 

“Sunyoung, wait!”

 

“What?” she replied, leaning against the doorframe. Amber stared at her for a moment, before shrinking back into the bed, clutching a pillow to herself. She felt a bit burdened at the thought of Luna doing all these things for her. At the same, however, she could feel this strange stirring in her chest, one she couldn’t quite place. She didn’t know what to do with it.

 

Luna was still standing there, waiting for her to continue and suddenly Amber wasn’t sure why she stopped her at all. Her mind going blank for words, she stared at her for only a second longer before suddenly blurting out “I love you” in a choked voice.

 

Luna’s face contorted for a moment, out of confusion and surprise, before she finally let out a tinkling chuckle. “You scared me. I thought you were gonna be sick there for a second,” she said with a shake of her head. She turned to exit the room again, not bothering to turn around again as she paused to say, “I love you, too, silly,” before disappearing out of Amber’s line of sight.

 

At that time, they were just two friends saying “I love you” to each other like they’d done many times before. There was nothing serious or complicated about it. It was simple. Neither of them even batted an eye when saying it, until not long after, when Amber began to find herself struggling to repeat those simple three words. All of a sudden, it wasn’t so easy anymore. It felt serious. And complicated. And Amber didn’t think she’d ever be able to even think about Luna again without those damned three words flashing through her mind like a neon sign pinned up just to torture her to no end.

 

At that time, Amber thought a lot of things, but she never thought that she’d be here, years later, seated on a street bench with her palms sweating right through the fabric of her black skinny jeans at the sight of long-time bandmate and dear friend heading toward her. It was their second date and Luna wrapped her fingers around Amber’s sweaty palm without a grimace but rather a blushing smile. Things don’t always end up like they thought they would.


i luv luna and amber so much like u have no idea.